NGBSA-North Gwinnett Baseball/Softbal...

NGBSA-North Gwinnett Baseball/Softball Association - Politics and Nepotism?

Posted in the Lawrenceville Forum

First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Since: May 12

Suwanee, GA

#1 May 21, 2012
This year my grandson played for a NGBSA minor league time and although one expects some variability in coaching ability, some of the coaches seemed to be more focused on playing their kids rather than giving everyone the opportunity to play. Did anyone else have a similar experience?

Suwanee, GA

#2 May 21, 2012
I saw that happen this season. It was rather blatant. The coaches kids pitched, played third, short stop and second base, and batted at the top of the line up. They didn't seem to be better than any of the other kids but even if they were it didn't seem fair. I had one of my sons on another team and his coaches rotated everyone which of course was better.

Suwanee, GA

#3 May 22, 2012
Thank you! Yes, he played for the Yankees and his coach's name was Caymol or something. He had two boys who played every inning of every game that I saw anyway. But my grandson sat on the bench every game, even though he probably had the highest on base percentage and made some really great plays on the field. I don't know what this guy's problem was.
No Alias Allowed

Lawrenceville, GA

#4 May 22, 2012
You (both) do realize that no one is going to buy into this fake online complaint? You can't post and then create another alias an hour later to back up your hollow argument. If you don't volunteer to coach then you can't complain if you don't like how your next so-called Babe Ruth was not played. Thanks for the laugh though!

Suwanee, GA

#5 May 22, 2012
Ah, a conspiracy theorist! Love it! Uhh, let me guess...No Alias Allowed is a....coach? NGBSA league manager? Hey No Alias, I think you missed their point so let me try and spell it out for you: At this level of baseball it is about skill development and fun, and not Daddy Ball volunteering to coach so he can get the kind of play time he wants for HIS children. Get it?'Babe Ruth' should have been played as much as the other children. Still no? Oh, and yes, I was just alerted to this thread and felt compelled to respond. Oh, and I have coached baseball and football for my children while they were growing up, and my guys played the bench along with everyone else. Hope you can one day see the ethical dilemma here and how it might impact the healthy sportsmanship and skill development of children. Good luck to you either way.

Suwanee, GA

#6 May 22, 2012
HA! You're kidding? Fake online complaint because you're a coach maybe? My response was just an observation. Sorry if this hurt your feelings, but I am more interested in the children's feelings than yours and the other adults. And yes, oddly enough, my observation came from watching this same team play many times. Thanks for volunteering as a coach - greatly appreciated - but it should also be an honor and accepted responsibility that the coach develops all the kids, not just his own. This one child I saw must have felt terrible, especially as he seemed to be one of the better ball players on the team, not that skills should determine whether a child sits or plays at this level. SHEESH!
Mod Squad

Lawrenceville, GA

#7 May 22, 2012
Okay, guys & gals this is the Lawrenceville topix forum .. not the Buford forum where everybody with the same IP address seems to be from.

You expect others to believe that is a coincidence that 3 moaners sign on at the same time with their panties in a wad over some little league coach? Practically every youth association in Gwinnett has a complaint line or open board meeting where you can file your grievances. Nobody is going to solve your silly issues with this Coach Caymol here. If you don't North Gwinnett youth baseball then leave!

I feel sorry for your kids .. the apple won't fall far from the tree. Life isn't fair - deal with it! SHEESH!!!!!
LMAO

Lawrenceville, GA

#8 May 22, 2012
All from Buford, GA Since: May 12

PRICELESS!
Truthpaste

Lawrenceville, GA

#9 May 22, 2012
Suwanee Family Guy wrote:
my grandson sat on the bench every game, even though he probably had the highest on base percentage and made some really great plays on the field.
Scorebooks don't lie, especially when both teams keep them on every player during every game. Did your grandson not make the all star team based on his stellar performance?

Neither Politics nor Nepotism but Sour Grapes are likely.

Suwanee, GA

#10 May 22, 2012
Gee...sort of sorry I brought it up. Some folks seem to not get it. This isn't sour grapes. This isn't about a child's performance. This is about little league politics. Just trying to see if I was being oversensitive. It seems like there are few folks who are a bit over-protective of the status quo. Oh well.

Oh and no, my grandson did not try out for the All-Star team. Apparently in NGBSA all the kids get a chance to try out for the All-Star team with the understanding of needing to be able to have a full-time commitment over the summer. Seems like a good way of doing it so everyone gets a chance.
Coach

Lawrenceville, GA

#11 May 22, 2012
Players don't try out all stars. A player is picked based on their overall performance within that season. Stats are kept on each player for this very reason. Valid complaints need to be directed to the association.

Suwanee, GA

#12 May 22, 2012
I asked my daughter-in-law about the All-Star policy. She said all the kids were invited to try out on a Sunday. "The process is open to all who are interested in being considered for the All-Star team." Again, I think this is a good system. My daughter-in-law stated that the time commitment was about 25 hours per week and quite a bit of travel, so while the interest was there, the time availability was not.

Suwanee, GA

#13 May 22, 2012
I find some of the comments referring back to a child's ability in little league as cause for not playing, to strongly supports the mentality of some of the guys who volunteer, and proves the point of this discussion. No,'Mod Squad,' call me an American, but I don't think we should ignore problems, or allow problems to continue with an 'all-or-none-like-it-or-leave- it' mentality as the only rational option. Where I come from, we expose problems, we fix problems, we don't allow unethical, corrupt, in inept practices to continue, we don't gloss over abuses of power/position or bullies. I guess I am funny like that. So no, I don't think Family Guy should look for another system because he won't tolerate unfair play and sports misconduct. And yes, I can confirm his observation, which is what he was asking, I believe. You are correct though, my 'apple' has not fallen too far from the tree and I am quite proud.
Mod Squad

Lawrenceville, GA

#14 May 22, 2012
SoccerMomsRock wrote:
Where I come from, we expose problems, we fix problems, we don't allow unethical, corrupt, in inept practices to continue, we don't gloss over abuses of power/position or bullies.
Typical - you go after the little guys who Volunteer and make a community organization work and call them corrupt and unethical. That is laughable! You should be concerned about what is going on with your local government / politicians all the way to the federal government. Parents with no backbone throw temper tantrums on anonymous posting sites. If you had a valid complaint that had any merit at all, you would go directly to the association board and would see results.

You are the bully soccer mom. Grow up and stop living through your child! SHEESH!
Mod Squad

Lawrenceville, GA

#15 May 22, 2012
Coach wrote:
Players don't try out all stars. A player is picked based on their overall performance within that season. Stats are kept on each player for this very reason. Valid complaints need to be directed to the association.
Agreed! This complainer doesn't want to admit their precious spawn isn't the best baseball player in the league. My kid sucks at football, but I don't bully coaches like an armchair quarterback. Some of us have a clue! THANK YOU for your service to your community.
Mod Squad

Lawrenceville, GA

#16 May 22, 2012
Suwanee Family Guy wrote:
I asked my daughter-in-law about the All-Star policy. She said all the kids were invited to try out on a Sunday. "The process is open to all who are interested in being considered for the All-Star team." Again, I think this is a good system. My daughter-in-law stated that the time commitment was about 25 hours per week and quite a bit of travel, so while the interest was there, the time availability was not.
Of course they had tryouts, if not the lynch mob comes out and has a hissy fit! Much like a participation trophy, they do this to spare your feelings. Everyone is a Winner! If your grandchild wasn't a top player based on stats, then they didn't really want him. The time commitment weeds the weaker parents out too. Sorry but the truth hurts!

Suwanee, GA

#17 May 22, 2012
You guys are way off topic and non-factual, not to mention argumentative. You're not listening - just attacking. We'll try this again - see if you can follow: This isn't about the player's ability. This is about (apparently) someone who used his role in a self-serving manner. Now I know leagues are hard up for coaches, but unless the league formally states that a coach doesn't have to sit his kids or exercise any fairness, then it is assumed that as a coach he/she will be equitable and fair, especially at this very junior level of play. NGBSA is not the only league where this happens. My children played in Buford and there was the occasional 'coach' who played favorites and those kids who were not children of the assistants rode the bench. This isn't exactly the best reflection of the spirit of baseball, sportsmanship, or being a man, at least an honorable man. So does NGBSA have an evaluation form of the coaches at the end of the season? Does it have a complaint process that it makes parents aware of and does without repercussions? Does it have an anonymous feedback/suggestion process? Does it have an opt-out option so parents can exclude certain coaches when signing their child up? I don't know. These are children. The discussion is about ensuring that children are treated fairly. "Life isn't fair," is laughable. True, and as adults we understand it and tough it out. Children who came to play and develop a love for the game shouldn't have to put up with this nonsense.

Suwanee, GA

#18 May 22, 2012
Yeah - just saw this - and yeah - just signed up so I can respond to this discussion - get past it yokels and go back for your GED while you're at it. If this is about Mateo Caymol, I know him and my son played for him before (not this year). He is a glad-hander and for those of you miffed or at least questioning his antics, you should know he's got lots of good ol' boy buddies who are going to refute the @$%! out of all this and cover for him, so watch what you say! LOL!

"Time commitment weeds the weaker parents out too. Sorry but the truth hurts." Mod Squad, really? This isn't even the issue - try and focus. But parents who cannot commit 25+ hours per week for baseball in addition to their summer family time/activities are weak? Really? Fascinating. Try thinking before you write this stuff.

Suwanee, GA

#19 May 22, 2012
Ehhh....this isn't about my child. Try and pay attention.

Suwanee, GA

#20 May 22, 2012
Clarify - Ehhh...this isn't about my child. Try and pay attention 'Mod Squad.'

WHERE DO THESE GUYS COME FROM??? LOL

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Lawrenceville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
shawn moore (Aug '15) Sep 25 WOW 2
gwinnett county has a "quality of life" unit (Apr '08) Sep 25 Peterlam 72
Review: Choe's Hapkido Martial Arts Lawrenceville (May '14) Sep 19 Ieshia 12
Moving to Suwanee, GA (Apr '07) Sep 12 Kesco 20
News Law Student Charged With Murder (Mar '08) Sep 12 Kesco 151
News GMA host: - Colored people' remark - was a mist... Sep 10 josh 2
Review: Southern Perfection Painting (Aug '13) Sep 9 Kaliko 2

Lawrenceville Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance