Gwinnett dispute stops use of radar g...

Gwinnett dispute stops use of radar guns to bust speeders

There are 11 comments on the Atlanta Journal-Constitution story from Jan 5, 2011, titled Gwinnett dispute stops use of radar guns to bust speeders. In it, Atlanta Journal-Constitution reports that:

As of Jan. 1, the Gwinnett County Police Department and a majority of the other municipal police agencies in the county are no longer allowed to operate radar and laser speed detection devices.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Atlanta Journal-Constitution.

“What Change?”

Since: Jun 09

I fergit

#1 Jan 7, 2011
That explains why the Duluth PD are spending so much time looking for other traffic violations to ticket us for.

At the intersection of Ptree Ind and 120 there is a cop standing beside the road with a big yellow vest on and his car out of sight waiting on some unsuspecting motorist to go around traffic to get to the left turn lane. I personally witnessed this cop waving over 5 cars in the space of two hours.

None of these 5 were endangering other cars they just were trying to get ahead of the long backup waiting for the light.

It also explains the Duluth Cop permanently posted on the side of State Bridge/Pleasant Hill near Ptree Industrial. With all the drivers getting into the turn lane early there is big bucks potential.

The goal is not safety but money. Without Radar Duluth PD is not raking it in like they have for so long.

They gotta pay for that fancy new HQ somehow.
Rocket

Loganville, GA

#2 Jan 26, 2011
They are the modern day Revenue Agents.

“What Change?”

I fergit

#3 Apr 25, 2011
Gwinnett must still be prohibited from using radar. There were THREE cars on the side of Sever this morning.

The heinous crime they were preventing? WINDOW TINTING. I kid you not three of Gwinnett's finest occupied with waving cars over to check the tint on their windows.

“What Change?”

I fergit

#4 Aug 18, 2011
any word on whether this has been lifted?

I saw two of Gwinnett's finest had people pulled over on Sugarloaf day before yesterday.
ace

Acworth, GA

#5 Aug 20, 2011
Have any of you people ever lived up north? because the police here are like choir boys compared to that nest.

“What Change?”

I fergit

#6 Aug 26, 2011
ace wrote:
Have any of you people ever lived up north? because the police here are like choir boys compared to that nest.
So we should just smile bend over and take it cause up north the cops are bigger a holes?

“"Class, the #1 Motivator"”

Since: Aug 09

Location hidden

#7 Aug 26, 2011
I agree about the police up north. Must worse than these officers in Gwinnett.
ace

Lawrenceville, GA

#9 Aug 29, 2011
Canoochee wrote:
<quoted text>
So we should just smile bend over and take it cause up north the cops are bigger a holes?
I am just saying, in comparison to the cops up north the cops down here are choir boys,now this is my personal perception, I have not seen predatory behavior in gwinnett, such as cops on both sides of roadway, knocking on your door if registration is one day late and fingerprinting you, intimidation tactics on the highways stopping traffic just to instill fear at rush hour. Maybe it does happen here,but I personally have not seen it and my car was like uninsured for a few months but didn't drive it, if this were up north I might have my car impounded by the time I got it reinsured. the word I think to describe gwinnett cops is "reasonable" and enforcing the law "in the spirit of the law".

Since: May 11

Lawrenceville, GA

#10 Aug 29, 2011
Canoochee wrote:
Gwinnett must still be prohibited from using radar. There were THREE cars on the side of Sever this morning.
The heinous crime they were preventing? WINDOW TINTING. I kid you not three of Gwinnett's finest occupied with waving cars over to check the tint on their windows.
I believe that in order for the PD to use their tinting meters, your windows have to be partially opened. I was asked to roll my window up in Doraville. I had already gotten a speeding ticket. I refused. He was pissed, called his FTO and that guy tried to get me to roll them up. Nope. They gave up.
LaidBack

Alpharetta, GA

#11 Dec 15, 2011
Canoochee, in your post about the police at Peachtree Industrial and 120, you said cars are going around traffic to get into the left turn lane. Could you explain this in detail? I wish to avoid getting ticketed for it, but I do not understand exactly what they are doing. Are they going into the opposing lane? Something else? Thank you.
Concerned voter

Lilburn, GA

#12 Dec 20, 2011
Sounds like they were catching to many lawbreakers. These tools should be used to control an area of doucmented speeding infractions. Taking away the police tools to control speeding.doesn't sound like a sensible solution If their is a abuse of these tools that is one thing to be addressed.
Sounds to me like a typical Atlanta approach.
We'll just dumb things down, if we're being caught ! If anyone tries to drive the speed limit they'll probably cause an accident or be run over or of the road. Can anyone truthfully say that speeding isn't a problem in this area !

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Lawrenceville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News GMA host: - Colored people' remark - was a mist... 17 hr Oh No You Di-nt 1
News NeNe Leakes reportedly owes more than $800,000 ... Aug 20 Surprised 1
Review: Daniel F Ashley Attorney (Dec '09) Aug 19 Victor Bute 20
Trump for President, He will win. watch Aug 19 Johnny Weismiller 1
Subhani and Subhani Immigration Lawyers Review (Jan '09) Jul 25 AC PATEL 8
News Bishop Eddie Long denies sex allegations (Sep '10) Jul '16 Impact on the church 242
News Dueling groups to rally at Confederate landmark Jul '16 Hillbilly 2,207

Lawrenceville Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Lawrenceville Mortgages