Kansas House speaker dislikes redistricting plan

There are 20 comments on the Jan 21, 2012, The Wichita Eagle story titled Kansas House speaker dislikes redistricting plan. In it, The Wichita Eagle reports that:

House Speaker Mike O'Neal, a Hutchinson Republican who leads his chamber's Redistricting Committee, said he opposes the idea.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Wichita Eagle.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
muzzle speaker

United States

#1 Jan 21, 2012
What a coincidence. I dislike the speaker and his blatantly racist reference to the first lady. The only thing worse is the lack of outrage being expressed by kansans. This jackass was acting in an official capacity when this happened. Kansans deserve better and should be demanding his resignatio. The silence has been deafening, though. Would it be the sam if she had an r next to her name rather than a d.
disgusting democrats

United States

#2 Jan 21, 2012
Google the classy DEMOCRATIC definition of Santorum before you ge on your high horse.

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#3 Jan 21, 2012
disgusting democrats wrote:
Google the classy DEMOCRATIC definition of Santorum before you ge on your high horse.
You are a liar. Dan Savage, the author of the term, is no Democrat. He just called a spade a spade. You are just like him, only with more body waste product.

Since: Sep 11

Topeka, KS

#4 Jan 21, 2012
I find extreme liberals to be as disgusting as ultra conservatives. They show no respect for a difference of opinions.

Since: Sep 11

Topeka, KS

#5 Jan 21, 2012
The Kangaroo wrote:
<quoted text>
You are a liar. Dan Savage, the author of the term, is no Democrat. He just called a spade a spade. You are just like him, only with more body waste product.
Maybe not a liar, just mislead.
Muzzle speaker

New Virginia, IA

#6 Jan 22, 2012
Speaker O'Neal is not just some guy with an ax to grind. He's an elected official in a leadership position and he made a racially based joke in reference to the First Lady. That transcends party and politics and treads deeply into impropriety. This is the kind of thing where voters of any persuasion should be able to stand together and demand better of our leaders. People first, politics second!
Remember this

Junction City, KS

#7 Jan 22, 2012
One of the enduring mysteries of the 2008 campaign was what got Ted Kennedy so mad at Bill Clinton?

The day after Iowa, he phoned Kennedy and pressed for an endorsement, making the case for his wife. But Bill then went on, belittling Obama in a manner that deeply offended Kennedy. Recounting the conversation later to a friend, Teddy fumed that Clinton had said, "A few years ago, this guy would have been getting us coffee."

Sure, the media glanced over it and Clinton is still the Darling of the Democrats.

People are people and people do and say stupid things.
Remember this

Junction City, KS

#8 Jan 22, 2012
It seems that the Huffington Post agrees:

"Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid stated that President Barack Obama might have a chance to become president because he is "light-skinned" and doesn't speak with a "negro dialect". But the real bombshell came today when I read about the statements allegedly made by former President Bill Clinton:

According to reports in a new book to be released this week, Bill Clinton told Ted Kennedy that, "A few years ago, this guy would have been getting us coffee," referring to then candidate Barack Obama. Clinton also griped that Kennedy was only supporting Obama for president, because he is black.

To say that the black community should be offended by Bill Clinton's words would be an understatement. If the allegations in this book (called "Game Change") are true, this is going to destroy the already wounded relationship between the Clinton family and the African-American community."

"African Americans have been awakened by the idea that we no longer have to have a "sugar substitute," and can instead taste the very real sweetness that comes with having meaningful access to the White House. Although I have critiqued Obama on multiple occasions, I am quite proud of his accomplishment."

"For many years, Bill Clinton proudly accepted the false label of "first black president," which offended real black men in America who wondered if someone who looks like us could ever be considered capable enough to have that kind of power. Many in the black community also felt patronized and disrespected by the Clintons, who almost seemed to feel that they were doing us a favor by even caring the least bit about African-American issues.

Hillary's "Gone with the Wind" attitude began to show itself as she unraveled during the Democratic primary, using nasty racial references to undermine Obama's bid to the presidency.

Bill put icing on the cake by publicly comparing Obama's campaign to that of Jesse Jackson in 1984.

Well, a new day has come. Black people are no longer interested in second-class citizenship. We are Americans too and expect the respect that comes with that status. Now Bill, please go get me a cup of coffee - I take my coffee black."

Boyce Watkins, PhD

http://www.bvblackspin.com/2010/01/11/bill-cl...
Remember this

Junction City, KS

#9 Jan 22, 2012
"You cannot go to a 7-11 or Dunkin Donuts unless you have a slight Indian Accent." -Senator Joe Biden

Mahatma Gandhi "ran a gas station down in Saint Louis."

-Senator Hillary Clinton

Some junior high n*@@er kicked Steve's ass while he was trying to help his brothers out; junior high or sophomore in high school. Whatever it was, Steve had the n*@@er down. However it was, it was Steve's fault. He had the n*@@er down, he let him up. The n*@@er blindsided him." -- Roger Clinton, the President's brother on audiotape

"You'd find these potentates from down in Africa, you know, rather than eating each other, they'd just come up and get a good square meal in Geneva." -- Fritz Hollings (D, S.C.)

"Is you their black-haired answer-mammy who be smart? Does they like how you shine their shoes, Condoleezza? Or the way you wash and park the whitey's cars?" -- Left-wing radio host Neil Rogers

"He's married to a white woman. He wants to be white. He wants a colorless society. He has no ethnic pride. He doesn't want to be black." -- California State Senator Diane Watson's on Ward Connerly's interracial marriage

"You f**king Jew b@st@ard." -- Hillary Clinton to political operative Paul Fray. This was revealed in "State of a Union: Inside the Complex Marriage of Bill and Hillary Clinton" and has been verified by Paul Fray and three witnesses.

Like I said, People are people and people do and say stupid things.

There is plenty of racism on both sides.

Location hidden

#10 Jan 22, 2012
Jerry, this is bull and you know it. The racism is the policies and the rhetoric like this to fool racist b@stards like you. Whatever, O'Neal and you are a detriment to a good society - the Clintons are not, except for the fact they're too conservative.
same old

Junction City, KS

#11 Jan 22, 2012
The Kangaroo wrote:
Jerry, this is bull and you know it. The racism is the policies and the rhetoric like this to fool racist b@stards like you. Whatever, O'Neal and you are a detriment to a good society - the Clintons are not, except for the fact they're too conservative.
I`m assuming there was no Soul Food Summit at the VFW on MLK day between Jerry and Roo, for the second consecutive year. LOL!!
Muzzle speaker

New Virginia, IA

#12 Jan 22, 2012
"People are people and people do and say stupid things. There is plenty of racism on both sides."

I agree, but they also need to be held accountable particularly when they are in a leadership position. Shrugging this off and giving him a pass because "people are people" is just wrong.
Green Hills glass house

Junction City, KS

#13 Jan 22, 2012
Remember this wrote:
Like I said, People are people and people do and say stupid things.
Kind of like when you said, "Maybe I`ll let you stand inside the door when you deliver my pizza. Just don`t park your leaking POS in my driveway." Remember that one, Jerry ?
soooo

United States

#14 Jan 22, 2012
Muzzle speaker wrote:
"People are people and people do and say stupid things. There is plenty of racism on both sides."
I agree, but they also need to be held accountable particularly when they are in a leadership position. Shrugging this off and giving him a pass because "people are people" is just wrong.
You started this thread with a chip on your shoulder and demanding accountability from Kansas Repubs. Do you also demand accountability from National Democrats caught dead in the act of making racist remarks? Or is this just a little fodder for your agenda? As I recall, most Dems were making excuses and trying to sweep the Clintons racism under the rug. If justice and reason are to prevail are you willing to call for accountability by all those big Dems listed above? Or will you be as one sided as the Roo?
muzzle speaker

United States

#15 Jan 22, 2012
No chip, just pure anger. And if you'll reread the thread you'll see that I already agreed that racism exists on both sides, in both parties. What I'm saying and have said is that our leadership needs to be accountable for their behavior regardless of what party designation stands next to their name. What I also asked was whether kansans were so entrenched in party politics that they are willing to turn a deaf ear to this incident and apparently the answer is yes. BTW, I never identified my party affiliation.

Location hidden

#16 Jan 22, 2012
soooo wrote:
<quoted text>
You started this thread with a chip on your shoulder and demanding accountability from Kansas Repubs. Do you also demand accountability from National Democrats caught dead in the act of making racist remarks? Or is this just a little fodder for your agenda? As I recall, most Dems were making excuses and trying to sweep the Clintons racism under the rug. If justice and reason are to prevail are you willing to call for accountability by all those big Dems listed above? Or will you be as one sided as the Roo?
Sweet screamin' Jeebus, of course Clinton's a racist, he's an Arkie. but h doesn't create policies specifically designed to harm minorities like your racist party does, like Kris Kovach's voter suppression schemes.
Remember this

Junction City, KS

#17 Jan 23, 2012
muzzle speaker wrote:
Would it be the sam if she had an r next to her name rather than a d.
From your opening paragraph one assumes you are a democrat. If not, my mistake.

[QUOTE who="muzzle speaker] What I'm saying and have said is that our leadership needs to be accountable for their behavior regardless of what party designation stands next to their name.[/QUOTE]

I agree. Factually, the media takes a much harder look at the mistakes of a Republican over a Democrat.

[QUOTE who="muzzle speaker]
What I also asked was whether kansans were so entrenched in party politics that they are willing to turn a deaf ear to this incident and apparently the answer is yes.[/QUOTE]

I don't think it's a flat yes simply because there hasnt been a huge outcry to recall O'Neal.

First of all, no matter how anyone wants to frame it, he simply made a bad judgement call and forwarded an email which was sent to him. Do I approve? No. Would I have forwarded it? No. Do I think it is any worse or better than those things listed above? No.

I believe that most Kansans feel the same way. It was a minor error in judgement and is passed. The first lady accepted his sincere apology. Why shouldn't you?

If we held recall elections or ousted every politician of any stripe that made a foolish personal judgement we would never do anything else.
Remember this

Junction City, KS

#18 Jan 23, 2012
The Kangaroo wrote:
<quoted text>
Sweet screamin' Jeebus, of course Clinton's a racist, he's an Arkie.
And your hero. That says a lot about you, George.
roos racism

United States

#19 Jan 23, 2012
Remember this wrote:
<quoted text>
Nailed it again! Racist people suck.

Location hidden

#20 Jan 23, 2012
Remember this wrote:
<quoted text>
Hardly.

"Sad is the country which has no heroes." - George Bernard Shaw

"No, sad is the country which needs heroes." - Noel Coward

Clinton was certainly an improvement as President from his two most recent predecessors, but he was hardly a hero in the usual sense.

The real heroes of the last half-century were Cesar Chavez, Malcolm X, Jane Fonda, Harvey Milk, Sonia Johnston, etc. People who shook things up.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Lawrence Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Review: Excalibur West Hair Styling Apr 24 colin 1
men wearing panties (Nov '09) Apr 21 ftilly boy 192
Men in Knickers (Oct '08) Apr 18 ftilly boy 1,317
Lawrence is frozen in fear Mar '15 Class of 84 1
Throw the 1/16th and 1/8 females off our tribal... Mar '15 ran off eighth 1
scared come on (Sep '14) Mar '15 littlebitt 2
Poll Your Guess as to What Happened to Randy Leach o... Mar '15 Grover 0
More from around the web

Lawrence People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE