Global Warming Challenge, Greenhouse ...

Global Warming Challenge, Greenhouse Gas-emitting Microbes in Soil

There are 6 comments on the Kansas City InfoZine story from Jan 14, 2013, titled Global Warming Challenge, Greenhouse Gas-emitting Microbes in Soil. In it, Kansas City InfoZine reports that:

Lawrence, KS - infoZine - A grim hazard of climate change is that "positive feedbacks" will augment the warming induced by human activities.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Kansas City InfoZine.

SpaceBlues

United States

#1 Jan 14, 2013
Bugs rule!
SpaceBlues

United States

#2 Jan 14, 2013
SpaceBlues

United States

#3 Jan 14, 2013
A grim hazard of climate change is that “positive feedbacks” will augment the warming induced by human activities.
[from the piece]
litesong

Everett, WA

#4 Jan 14, 2013
Now, I see where warming might speed up the rate at which microbes produce CO2 to be added to the biosphere.

But might the total amount of CO2 produced by microbes, at higher temperatures, be no more than the soils already give back during the autumn & winter time, or at least, a minimal increase?

It seems that the cycle of life can be speeded up beginning in the autumn, but the total CO2 produced in the cycle of life, not at all or possibly a minimal increase, due to more complete 'combustion'.

In the warm climates in which oils were deposited deep underground, took tens of millions of years to sequester.

All in all, it is the combustion of oils dredged from deep underground by oil pumps which is the greatest factor in GHG producing CO2 excess warming.
PHD

Cibolo, TX

#5 Jan 14, 2013
Now I see that the "pinheadlitesout" is suffering from a mental disorder caused by that car crash it boasted about.

Since: Jan 13

Fairfax, VA

#6 Jan 20, 2013
PHD wrote:
Now I see that the "pinheadlitesout" is suffering from a mental disorder caused by that car crash it boasted about.
**Troll alert **

Can't even read, it would appear.

“There is great concern that with human-induced climate change in the coming century, warmer temperatures will increase the rates at which microbial activity in the soil occurs, and that in turn will drive increased fluxes of greenhouse gases into the atmosphere,” said Sharon Billings, associate professor of ecology and evolutionary biology at the University of Kansas.

Microbial activity in the soil generates carbon dioxide, nitrous oxide and methane, all of which add to global warming. Indeed, emissions from soil-dwelling microorganisms worldwide constitute a “huge governing factor in the Earth’s climate,” according to the KU researcher.

Thus, with a hotter climate, increased emissions by soil biota could contribute severely to yet more global warming in the coming decades — at levels akin to other major systems that threaten positive feedback loops in response to a warming planet, such as melting reflective sea ice or methane-rich Siberian permafrost.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Lawrence Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Sophie House Linwood KS (Jun '13) Jul 3 Sophie Sister 33
men wearing panties (Nov '09) Jul 2 pantylover2112 216
stephanie cooper (Jun '12) Jun 30 Brian 2
News Dallas K. Murphy Jun '16 Tiff Tutties 3
News Homes damaged but small town spared after Kansa... May '16 Cheddar Cheese 1
News Sweepstakes and Contests Apr '16 Lucy Jane 1
News Sleek and sustainability-minded Lawrence Public... Apr '16 Lucy Jane 1

Lawrence Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Lawrence Mortgages