Should Ind. Safe Haven Law be a lesson?

Should Ind. Safe Haven Law be a lesson?

There are 48 comments on the WISH-TV 8 Indiana News story from Jan 22, 2009, titled Should Ind. Safe Haven Law be a lesson?. In it, WISH-TV 8 Indiana News reports that:

A newborn left on a front porch in Lawrence Wednesday continues to recover at Riley Hospital.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WISH-TV 8 Indiana News.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Cpetr13

“Reality is better than truth”

Since: Jun 07

Indianapolis

#42 Jan 26, 2009
No, it would be a 911 call for the people who FOUND the kid, not the mother. The mother could have called the standard police line or probably even called the nearest fire station, and I bet she could have gotten this done appropriately--if she knew about the safe haven law.
Cmypetr13mm wrote:
<quoted text>Putting a baby in a shoebox in freezing weather is definitely a 911 call you moron. Of course what would you expect from a homosexual liberal idiot.

“Nosey just like you”

Since: Feb 08

where I lay my head

#44 Jan 26, 2009
Cmypetr13mm wrote:
<quoted text>Putting a baby in a shoebox in freezing weather is definitely a 911 call you moron. Of course what would you expect from a homosexual liberal idiot.
The act of putting the baby in a shoebox and leaving it on a door step is a 911 issue and 911 was called but as you well know I was speaking on the issue BEFORE the shoebox was needed. Who was she to call for assistance to a Safe Haven place? Get it yet? Probably not... oh well!!
Mom

Indianapolis, IN

#45 Jan 27, 2009
First, what does it say about the parents of these teens who hide their pregnancies? What message has been conveyed that these kids think leaving a baby in a shoebox, dumpster, trash can, etc. is a better alternative to telling their parents? How about parents quit telling their kids they'll "kill them", "beat them", "hate them" or any other frightening scenario that forces these young women to abandon their offspring. How about parents quit thinking that instilling fear in their kids is going to accomplish anything.
When my 17 year old daughter thought she was pregnant, she came to me. She'd been told since she hit puberty that if she ever got pregnant, it was something she needed to come to me about (yes, we also discussed birth control, but... either IT failed or THEY failed to use it "one" time) The 3 of us discussed ALL the options. Yes, 3. The father was included in every aspect of this. They are now married with 3 year old twins.
I cannot imagine the fear this young woman felt for 9 mos.! I also cannot imagine what kind of parents didn't notice their daughter's pregnancy. She gave birth to an EIGHT POUND baby... that's a LOT of weight to gain.
If you won't allow schools to teach about the Safe Haven Law - at the very least - put up fliers in school restrooms, nurses offices, bulletin boards. Put up billboards around the cities and towns. Allow short commercials on TV to educate about it.
And while you're at it -- educate parents, too.
PS - "I am 24 I have 4 kids they are 5,3,2,1 and i too was a young mother...it was not expected."
Joann - Who is supporting them? Why do you take pride in such irresponsibility? If birth control is failing you - perhaps closing your legs will work better until you can afford sterilization. "It was not expected" only works for the FIRST one. "I'm an irresponsible, selfish nympho" is the only explanation after that.

“Nosey just like you”

where I lay my head

#46 Jan 27, 2009
Mom wrote:
First, what does it say about the parents of these teens who hide their pregnancies? What message has been conveyed that these kids think leaving a baby in a shoebox, dumpster, trash can, etc. is a better alternative to telling their parents? How about parents quit telling their kids they'll "kill them", "beat them", "hate them" or any other frightening scenario that forces these young women to abandon their offspring. How about parents quit thinking that instilling fear in their kids is going to accomplish anything.
When my 17 year old daughter thought she was pregnant, she came to me. She'd been told since she hit puberty that if she ever got pregnant, it was something she needed to come to me about (yes, we also discussed birth control, but... either IT failed or THEY failed to use it "one" time) The 3 of us discussed ALL the options. Yes, 3. The father was included in every aspect of this. They are now married with 3 year old twins.
I cannot imagine the fear this young woman felt for 9 mos.! I also cannot imagine what kind of parents didn't notice their daughter's pregnancy. She gave birth to an EIGHT POUND baby... that's a LOT of weight to gain.
If you won't allow schools to teach about the Safe Haven Law - at the very least - put up fliers in school restrooms, nurses offices, bulletin boards. Put up billboards around the cities and towns. Allow short commercials on TV to educate about it.
And while you're at it -- educate parents, too.
PS - "I am 24 I have 4 kids they are 5,3,2,1 and i too was a young mother...it was not expected."
Joann - Who is supporting them? Why do you take pride in such irresponsibility? If birth control is failing you - perhaps closing your legs will work better until you can afford sterilization. "It was not expected" only works for the FIRST one. "I'm an irresponsible, selfish nympho" is the only explanation after that.
I guess your 17 yr old geting knocked up can be blamed on you right. You failed her as a parent, you didnt raise her properly, you didnt care about her, you didnt know what she was out doing etc. right?

It is not always fear of being "hated" being "beaten" being "killed" some hide their pregnancy for fear of disappointing their parent. Sounds like this young lady was well rounded very good student who was excelling in school so there has to be some credit towards her parent(s) for that much of her life being stabilized. Maybe just maybe she didnt want to disappoint her family by becoming another statistic of being a teen parent.
Mom

Indianapolis, IN

#47 Jan 27, 2009
NoseyLikeYou wrote:
<quoted text>It is not always fear of being "hated" being "beaten" being "killed" some hide their pregnancy for fear of disappointing their parent. Sounds like this young lady was well rounded very good student who was excelling in school so there has to be some credit towards her parent(s) for that much of her life being stabilized. Maybe just maybe she didnt want to disappoint her family by becoming another statistic of being a teen parent.
My use of the word "hated" was actually meant in the same context as "disappointing" - so you've only solidified my stance. That fear should never be greater than trust between a parent and a child. I was disappointed in my daughter - but would have been MORE disappointed had she not told me and abandoned or killed her child. She knew that. She trusted me enough to come to me.

How do you think this girls parents feel about her now? What do you think they are telling her now? After the fact? That she should have come to them? Are they NOW saying that, although they would have been disappointed, things would have worked out somehow? THAT is what they should have been telling her all along.

You want to lay ALL the blame at this 17 yr. old's feet? You want to recognize the parents for what she's done right - but not for what she's done wrong?

How many kids have YOU raised?

“Nosey just like you”

where I lay my head

#48 Jan 27, 2009
Mom wrote:
<quoted text>
My use of the word "hated" was actually meant in the same context as "disappointing" - so you've only solidified my stance. That fear should never be greater than trust between a parent and a child. I was disappointed in my daughter - but would have been MORE disappointed had she not told me and abandoned or killed her child. She knew that. She trusted me enough to come to me.
How do you think this girls parents feel about her now? What do you think they are telling her now? After the fact? That she should have come to them? Are they NOW saying that, although they would have been disappointed, things would have worked out somehow? THAT is what they should have been telling her all along.
You want to lay ALL the blame at this 17 yr. old's feet? You want to recognize the parents for what she's done right - but not for what she's done wrong?
How many kids have YOU raised?
I understand where you are coming from but do you truely believe this young girl took the time to wrap her child in 2 shirts lay it in a box with a towel because she planned on it dying? She wrote a note stating she could not take care of her child and for someone to help her which to me leads to the understanding she had no intentions of the child dying or becoming ill. Was she wrong in how she went about it? Most certainly she was but I do not believe she had any ill-will towards the child.

I have raised 9 children. I was a teen mother. I hid my pregnancy from the world for sheer reasoning that I would disappoint my folks, went to the hospital with sever stomach pain, parents thought it was the flu little did they know it was a 5pd 13oz baby girl this was in 1977. I also had a teen daughter become pregnant, in all accounts she HATED boys they were nasty etc. did I know she was pregnant NO, did I suspect it NO, when it was finally noticed she was 8 months. The last thing we want is our children pregnant. Many of us do have the talk over and over and over but does that mean our children will trust themselves enough to trust us to come to us? Not always. You were lucky, your daughter was blessed she has that relationship with you NOT all children are that lucky or blessed to feel that comfortable in telling their parent. As you stated you were disappointed, many children do not want to disappoint their parent and I am assuming this was one of those situations.
Dyanna

Indianapolis, IN

#49 Feb 5, 2009
Mom wrote:
This girl should not be in the juvenile center. She probably needs counseling more than anything. She did not murder, steal, rob, deal drugs, etc...
She was a frightened, very frightened 17 yr. old girl who needs help. She did what she thought was right for her baby. She did not drown or suffocate her baby girl...she left her where she thought the lady looked nice and would save her baby.
Um...saying she did not drown or suffocate her baby means absolutely nothing. It was 14 degrees outside that day and freezing the baby to death is, to me, the worst way to go. If you say she left the baby there to becasuse the lady looked nice, doesn't make any difference. The lady had no idea the baby was there and it was just a blessing she got home and found the baby girl before she froze to death. And yes, that would be murder. The girl needs to be locked up and she also needs so much more. She knew the consequences and she doesn't get let off like she's the only one that has gone through this. Many strong women have already been there so its nothing new. She could of left her baby somewhere safe and warm.
For the Children

Indianapolis, IN

#50 Feb 5, 2009
Indiana needs to step up to the plate and take up the cause from Nebraska by raising the age to dump off your kids to 18.

It's better for the child to get transfered to a new loving home that wants the child than to be stuck, by law, with horrible parents throughout their childhood.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Lawrence Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Joy Reid's Blog Hacked By Russians!! We Mean Bu... 4 hr The Liberal 1
We Are Serious! We Are Suing Russia! 4 hr The Liberal 3
Colts draft tonight 6 hr Front office a joke 1
Marsh Going Out of Business (Sep '12) 14 hr Trianarfs 7
News World's largest firefighter training conference... 17 hr Smokey 1
Center Grove Football Coach Wed Looking 1
News Vigil honors woman whose body was found by chur... Wed InfoWars 1

Lawrence Jobs

Personal Finance

Lawrence Mortgages