Plan for state's uninsured in peril

Full story: The Indianapolis Star

A top priority of Gov. Mitch Daniels -- raising the cigarette tax to fund a health insurance plan for hundreds of thousands of Indiana's poor -- was rejected Tuesday by the Indiana House, a vote that left its ...
Comments
101 - 118 of 118 Comments Last updated Jun 25, 2010
First Prev
of 6
Next Last
Kurt

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 28, 2007

I'm sick of smokers who claim to be so terribly victimized by cigarette taxes and anti-any-tax whiners - both of whom refuse to take FULL responsibility for their actions, by passing off the associated TRUE costs - onto the rest of us.
Allan

Charlotte, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 28, 2007

Well not sure were to start here. Yes I'm a smoker, I don't smoke when I'm out to eat, Don't smoke in front of my family, And yes I pay for my own insurance. I would not have been upset if this tax went through, But like others have said were would the money come from later down the road when smokers start quiting?(NOT saying that would be bad)
This whole tax was to help with the uninsured. The problem is let's take a look at the poor sucking up the state walfare money now. If you can't afford to have kids then don't. Heck look at the american youth right now, There are more kids having babies right now then those who can Really afford them. But man why not when the working people will pay for them. Let's start there and try to fix that problem and use those monies to fund this program. I myself am getting tired of seeing those who don't work eating better and wearing nicer clothes then my kids.
Wake up people there is money out there already that can fix this problem.
Tim

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 28, 2007

Can anyone tell me what section of our state of national constitution says that we owe everyone free healthcare?
Jay

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 28, 2007

It's about time they put the brakes on this type of taxation.
In 1978 I paid 38 cents a pack. Now it's over $5 a pack and it's all due to the Indiana State Legislature and its love affair with the sin taxes.
Everytime this state wants more money, they tax the smokes.
Few years back, the governor even changed how that money was to be ear-marked after it had been collected.
They used to have a lic. plate people put on the front of their cars here in Indiana. It read: "Indiana -- Land of Taxes." Amen.
What happened to that State of the State goal of a one time tax on Indiana's very rich, Mitch?
No, we'd rather spend the money putting young single mothers in jail because they wrote a bad check.
What about all of the tax breaks corporations get in Indiana? I think it's time those rules and deals were reviewed. If they're going to live and work here, let them pay the bills too.
The Road to Hell

Indianapolis, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 1, 2007

Kurt wrote:
I'm sick of smokers who claim to be so terribly victimized by cigarette taxes and anti-any-tax whiners - both of whom refuse to take FULL responsibility for their actions, by passing off the associated TRUE costs - onto the rest of us.
You just don't get it, do you? I do take full responsibility for my actions. I have my own health insurance. I ask that others do the same. The solution to this problem is not more taxes, it is the abolishment of socialized medicine. Make not only smokers--but everyone--take responsibility for themselves. Why is it that we must rely on the state?
Maymie

Noblesville, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 1, 2007

I cannot vote for anyone that voted against this bill. More importantly, I will work hard to defeat this legislators in their next run for office. If their re-election to office and their contacts with the tobacco companies are more important to them than the health of our children they need to be removed from office!
The Road to Hell

Brooklyn, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 1, 2007

Well, with this mindset some of you have we are well down the road to prohibition of tobacco entirely, which I am sure some of you would like immensely. So don't come to me when an illicit tobacco market is getting people shot over it. Yeah, let's create some new Al Capones.
Patricia Chang

Indianapolis, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 1, 2007

The Indiana State Legislature has proved once again that they dont give a rat's patootie about the health and well-being of Hoosiers. Their reprehensible and morally corrupt rejection of the cigarette tax shows how low they have sunk. How many yielded to Big Tobacco lobbyists; and how many under-the-table deals were made? It is disgusting!
Southbound

Bowling Green, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 6, 2007

No More wrote:
<quoted text>It wasn't Mitch that failed, but the Democrats. I agree with comments from a couple of weeks ago. Smokers should just move to Kentucky.
The non smokers should move to California. Does your own logic work for you?
Southbound

Bowling Green, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 6, 2007

Patricia Chang wrote:
The Indiana State Legislature has proved once again that they dont give a rat's patootie about the health and well-being of Hoosiers. Their reprehensible and morally corrupt rejection of the cigarette tax shows how low they have sunk. How many yielded to Big Tobacco lobbyists; and how many under-the-table deals were made? It is disgusting!
Everyone relax. Our legislature will soon attach the smoker tax hike to the Marion County Consolidation Bill, the Mitch's New Toll Road (IN wont own), Privatized Lottery,or something else they want to slide in under the radar and the smoker tax will be hiked as planned. "We didn't want blah blah blah but we really had to have the cigarette tax increase."
who are you kidding

New Lenox, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 7, 2007

Southbound wrote:
<quoted text>
Everyone relax. Our legislature will soon attach the smoker tax hike to the Marion County Consolidation Bill, the Mitch's New Toll Road (IN wont own), Privatized Lottery,or something else they want to slide in under the radar and the smoker tax will be hiked as planned. "We didn't want blah blah blah but we really had to have the cigarette tax increase."
This so true.

Don't smoke but this was the wrong way to get money for a thing that may or not work. Mitch should take a lesson from how well medicaid has worked so far. Or do we want it just for the "cash cow" value

I agree this will be attached to a bill and fire department consolidation in Indianapolis seems a likely candidate because we haven't heard anything about it from the press but it will likely end up costing us more. The Dems by far like it and the Reps mostly don't. Maybe Mitch's Middleground.
WTR

Indianapolis, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 9, 2007

I haven't heard much about it, but there's an anti-smoking rally planned for the Statehouse this next week. Mitch is suppose to address the crowd. I've got bail money if need be. I want to attend.

Mitch is hosting an anti-smoking rally. You suck, little dude.

“Buy Low - Sell High”

Since: Mar 07

MT IN MN TX IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 9, 2007

No more taxes, period.'Sin Tax' or otherwise. About 50% of our income, goes to taxes already, that should be more than enough. The govt (local, state & Fed) need to cut back on 'their' spending before raising 'our' taxes.
The Road to Hell

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 16, 2007

coffee trader wrote:
No more taxes, period.'Sin Tax' or otherwise. About 50% of our income, goes to taxes already, that should be more than enough. The govt (local, state & Fed) need to cut back on 'their' spending before raising 'our' taxes.
Oh my gosh. Amen. P.S. Coffee rules, especially with smokes.
WTR

Indianapolis, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 16, 2007

The Road to Hell wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh my gosh. Amen. P.S. Coffee rules, especially with smokes.
Surely the three of us will burn in hell. Let's smoke one on the way.
Southbound

Bowling Green, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 17, 2007

Tim wrote:
Can anyone tell me what section of our state of national constitution says that we owe everyone free healthcare?
Obviously on the "left" side of the document.

“Buy Low - Sell High”

Since: Mar 07

MT IN MN TX IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 18, 2007

WTR wrote:
<quoted text>
Surely the three of us will burn in hell. Let's smoke one on the way.
Yea! I would but, I haven't even sneeked a swisher sweet since I convinced my spouse to quit years ago...(in a show of support)
fedup

New Castle, DE

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 25, 2010

people its about time to say no to all this goverment crap its the poor getting the brunt of all thats wrong in this country the jails are over crowded with poor folk dont talk about a person just trying to get by oh i know just get a job well they are all over seas just where your lawmakers sent them

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 6
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Lawrence Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Jeff punky Combs at it again 3 hr Brenda 6
Courts tell Indiana to honor gay marriages from... 13 hr who cares 4
officer Wilson 13 hr Simon 2
They riot with no facts or evidence 14 hr Simon 9
Annexation (May '13) 17 hr Underdog 2
My new jeep Wed Rogains 5
Landlord registration in Indianapolis: Section ... Wed Rogains 5

Search the Lawrence Forum:
•••
•••