Wiseburn school district Measure AA heads for passage

Full story: Daily Breeze

In an apparent victory for the K-8 Wiseburn school district, voters in the tiny district on the western edge of Hawthorne on Tuesday night favored a proposal to build a high school.
Comments
1 - 14 of 14 Comments Last updated Nov 7, 2010
Kari

Los Angeles, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 3, 2010

Judged:

With AA and CV passing, Wiseburn school district homeowners are going to get hammered. When will it stop??? Who votes for this crap?
Steven

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 3, 2010

Judged:

Why not just build a HS in Lennox. Wouldn't this fix the issue?
Hollyglen Homeowner

Santa Ana, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 3, 2010

I live in Hollyglen and have 3 young kids. I love the area but will have to decide soon if I stay or move. I will never send my kids to Hawthorne High, for that matter I would never let them go to Lennox for any reason at all. Either Wiseburn builds a High School or I move to Manhattan Beach or Palos Verdes. Based on the number of people I see move out of the area when their kids hit High School age I am not the only one who thinks this way. Building a High Schhol keeps residents in the neighborhood instead of chasing them to neighboring cities.
Steven

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 3, 2010

Hollyglen Homeowner wrote:
I live in Hollyglen and have 3 young kids. I love the area but will have to decide soon if I stay or move. I will never send my kids to Hawthorne High, for that matter I would never let them go to Lennox for any reason at all. Either Wiseburn builds a High School or I move to Manhattan Beach or Palos Verdes. Based on the number of people I see move out of the area when their kids hit High School age I am not the only one who thinks this way. Building a High Schhol keeps residents in the neighborhood instead of chasing them to neighboring cities.
I just think that 80% of the students who go to Hawthorne High live in Lennox. I have friends who live in the same area of Hawthorne that you live in and all of them have their kids either at Bishop, El Segundo or even Costa.

I understand how you feel but if you can afford to live in Manhattan Beach then why are you still living in Hawthorne? I would leave if I was you.
El Segundo

Montgomery, AL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 3, 2010

Judged:

I live in Del Aire and have a child that is in 6th grade at Dana Middle School which I love! The absolute thought of him going to HHS doesn't even cross my mind. As is the same with other parents in the neighborhood! I'm moving before high school and will never give CV the privilege of educating my son. Are you kidding me?!
Wiseburn Resident

Costa Mesa, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 3, 2010

Judged:

I understand why Wiseburn residents want a decent school for their kids (I too, have a kid in the district), but absconding with such a huge portion of the CV tax base is really unfair. Deal fairly with that, and they might get my support. But don't pretend that the secession has no effect on the kids remaining in CV.

Personally, I think CV needs to disband in favor of unified school districts. But the whole tax base of El Segundo business corridor going to the richest part of the CV district? Come on, that's not right. Admit it.Sorry you all feel so badly about HHS. Truth is, kids who want to do well there, do well there. There are some excellent teachers at HHS who prepare students for college as well as teachers at any school.

Yes, there are rough kids there, but they don't bother students who don't bother them.

Yes, the administration and district office are typically inept (but not always). I don't know why CV can't elect a board that can control things better, when it is the same people who elect effective boards at the feeders.
Hollyglen Homeowner

Santa Ana, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 3, 2010

Steven wrote:
<quoted text>
I just think that 80% of the students who go to Hawthorne High live in Lennox. I have friends who live in the same area of Hawthorne that you live in and all of them have their kids either at Bishop, El Segundo or even Costa.
I understand how you feel but if you can afford to live in Manhattan Beach then why are you still living in Hawthorne? I would leave if I was you.
I moved into the neighborhood when it was the best I could afford, now I can pretty much afford to live where ever I want but if I like this neighborhood why not stay and fight for a new school?
Wiseburn Resident

Montrose, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 3, 2010

Judged:

Hollyglen Homeowner wrote:
<quoted text>
I moved into the neighborhood when it was the best I could afford, now I can pretty much afford to live where ever I want but if I like this neighborhood why not stay and fight for a new school?
Because the plans for your new school adversely effect the remaining kids in Centinela Valley by seriously diminishing the tax base of the district. How big of a fight would you put up if El Segundo USD attempted to annex the El Segundo business corridor away from Wiseburn? And all the corporate bond payments from all the bond issues that have been passed suddenly got distributed amongst the residents of Wiseburn? Well, that's what Wiseburn is doing to CV.

Yes, I know that Wiseburn promised to keep paying its share of previously passed bonds from CV. But,(1) It's just not clear how binding that promise is, especially for corporate entities in the Wiseburn area, and (2) it adversely effects payments on future bond issues for the remaining residents of CV.

I've read the FAQ file published by Wiseburn; it is completely one-sided and I believe intellectually dishonest. It does not address point (2) above, except to imply that CV does not deserve to have bond monies because of past failures. Yes, there have been past failures for sure, but that is justification for withholding future monies? No; things change. It mentions "frivolous" law suits initiated by CV, but does not describe them (Why not describe them? If they are truly frivolous, readers will recognize that.)

I live in Wiseburn. I don't like how CV is run either. My property values will be enhanced like yours. But, I recognize fairness and unfairness, and I recognize that Hawthorne HS can't improve its API numbers more because the most motivated students are attending the various charters, rather than it is a terrible place to get an education.
Student Advocate

La Palma, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 3, 2010

Judged:

Wiseburn Resident: I applaud your comments. Your arguments are based on facts, reason and fairness regardless of who the students are or where they live. I too live in Wiseburn and have two children in the district but it seems that many in this debate feel that the education of a few must happen by any means necessary and worst of all at the expense of most students.
Hollyglen counterpoint

Manhattan Beach, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 4, 2010

Judged:

Kari wrote:
With AA and CV passing, Wiseburn school district homeowners are going to get hammered. When will it stop??? Who votes for this crap?
Let me tell you who. It's the almost unanimous group of Wiseburn families that preferred a high school over a charter school several years ago. You can probably guess the one family that preferred the charter school. Those Da Vinci schools could have been in place five years ago. We chose to remain in Hollyglen, but we drove our daughter to and from a private school for four days. As expensive as it was, it was cheaper than moving.

It's also the people who haven't quite figured out yet that AA was only for the land. There will need to be yet another bond for the construction.

By the way, with all the praise Wiseburn gets for the quality of its education, don't believe everything you hear. Our daughter was a straight A student at Dana, but she was way behind at that private school.

Yet that new high school movement keeps rollin' on ...
Al Fansome

Manhattan Beach, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 4, 2010

Judged:

Four days? You probably meant four years? Okay, I'll give you a pass on that one. But like you said, those Wiseburn people got what they deserved.

Go Cougars!
Real Wiseburn Resident

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 5, 2010

What a crock of poo-poo from the poster called "Wiseburn Resident" (who appears to actually switch between homes in Culver City and Newport Beach). And how funny the "Student Advocate" in Sylmar jumps in and strokes W.R.'s baloney posts. Their entire posts are straight from the CVUHSD Board handbook of smoke and mirrors. Gloria Ramos, is that you? When (not if, WHEN) Wiseburn secedes, y'all are going to have to take a little pay cut. I can see why y'all are shakin' in your boots. Remind us - why is it that Jose Fernandez, the CV District Superintendent out earns all the other superintendents in the entire South Bay, yet his district under performs even the LAUSD?
the switching homes trick

El Segundo, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 5, 2010

Real Wiseburn Resident wrote:
What a crock of poo-poo from the poster called "Wiseburn Resident" (who appears to actually switch between homes in Culver City and Newport Beach). And how funny the "Student Advocate" in Sylmar jumps in and strokes W.R.'s baloney posts.... snip ...
My reply really has nothing to do with the topic, but just to clear up a comment above. If you're not logged in as a registered user, the topix software picks up your current location from your web browser. So "Wiseburn Resident's" address is wherever he/she accesses the Internet at that point in time.
Wiseburn Resident

Montrose, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 7, 2010

Judged:

Real Wiseburn Resident wrote:
What a crock of poo-poo from the poster called "Wiseburn Resident" (who appears to actually switch between homes in Culver City and Newport Beach). And how funny the "Student Advocate" in Sylmar jumps in and strokes W.R.'s baloney posts. Their entire posts are straight from the CVUHSD Board handbook of smoke and mirrors. Gloria Ramos, is that you? When (not if, WHEN) Wiseburn secedes, y'all are going to have to take a little pay cut. I can see why y'all are shakin' in your boots. Remind us - why is it that Jose Fernandez, the CV District Superintendent out earns all the other superintendents in the entire South Bay, yet his district under performs even the LAUSD?
Thank you for your well reasoned, informative, and courteous reply to my comments. But, your mention of the "handbook of smoke and mirrors" is a bit vague. Can you tell us how the points I presented constitute some attempt to hide or distort something? I thought that they were serious concerns which ought to be addressed by Wiseburn District, rather than simply dismissed with unsubstantiated ridicule. As for being Gloria Ramos, or some puppet of the CV board, well I realize that anonymity breeds distrust, butI thought I made it clear that I have little respect for the governing board of CV (for the last, oh, 20 years or so). And that my thoughts are that CV should disappear as a district, in favor of unified districts.(And yes, all of us in CV would be unburdened from having to pay district office salaries to two school districts.) But I guess I didn't actually make that clear enough. My biggest concern is that such a large part of the industrial tax base of CV goes to the richest neighborhood of the district. And that that neighborhood would like that decision to be made by virtue of their vote alone. That also breeds some degree of mistrust. The thing is, "y'all" who are complaining about having to move, moved into Wiseburn voluntarily, and while it is a hassle to move, your dilemma is a result of your own decisions. And now, it seems as though "y'all" want to grab as much as you can from CV and leave, much as many superintendents and perhaps board members seem to have done/are doing in these last 20 years, "stickin'" it to everyone who remains.
And yes, as the previous poster said, I posted comments from different places, and the web site assigned locations to my ID, neither of which was correct. Not that that has anything to do with the points in my post, which in reality, you failed to address. Talk about smoke and mirrors.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Lawndale Discussions

Search the Lawndale Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
The 25 Most Dangerous Cities in the U.S. Are Mo... (Nov '10) 1 hr Lumpy Churchhill 18,611
CA California seeks to ban free, single-use carryo... (Jun '10) 2 hr seekers 4,900
CA CA Proposition 23 - Global Warming (Oct '10) 2 hr Pole swap 7,855
CA Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex ma... (Aug '10) 8 hr Orange Cove cow licker 200,366
CA California Proposition 19: the Marijuana Legali... (Oct '10) 9 hr rain or snow to slow 15,928
What has happened to Lynwood? (Dec '05) 14 hr sis 1,068
Woman jailed for allegedly trying to extort $50... (Mar '10) 15 hr bird 25
•••
•••

Lawndale News Video

•••
Lawndale Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Lawndale Jobs

•••