A Routine Traffic Stop Leads to Gunshots and Questions

Jun 6, 2007 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: New York Times

“This is just unfathomable to me.”

John Kubasta has spent much of his life defying the notion that being permanently disabled means being permanently dependent on others. via New York Times

Comments
1 - 20 of 684 Comments Last updated Friday Jul 18
First Prev
of 35
Next Last
friend too friend

North Bergen, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 6, 2007

John you are missed from friend too friend you are the best at everything you choose to do your smile is missed our hearts are with you be the best at beating this situation faith is with you and so are we
Kim

Kennett Square, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 7, 2007

I have know John since I was a little girl, he is the sweetest most harmless person you will ever meet. My thoughts and prayers are with him and his family. This should have never happend.

Why dont we ask Corzine what he thinks?

This is a travesty of justice!

Since: Mar 07

Clifton,NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 8, 2007

I am sickened and appalled by this news of OUR Clifton Police Officers firing 6 shots!! This is NOT Bed-Stuy NY, Bushwick NY, nor is this Bronx, NY or LA! What happened to our police officers in Clifton??? We had the best of the best, never such a thing with firing at that rate for such a reason. They had to be rookies, in that I mean under 3 years of service or are too jumpy and unprofessional to be in this line of work. We had the best of the best here. I knew most of them through our family business here in Clifton and honestly, I never felt as safe in any other town as I did here. The Police Officers we had in Clifton were the epitome of profesionalism and didn't have to jump for their guns especially not like this! This isn't the wild west guys, I have to assume since this happened in the evening it was newbies, wet behind the ears and it's a shame that our Mayor and those who hire the police officers for our town just hired anyone off the street instead of keeping with the tradition of getting the best.

I can tell you one thing about our then policemen, people from other towns and areas, knew better than to cause trouble here, the Clifton Police Force was known as a tough set of officers, no bull, no crap and PROFESSIONAL!

I wonder if I should be afraid to walk in the dark as to not be shot by a Clifton cop for waving hello. No excuse for what happened. This reminds me of the Sean Bell case, shoot first ask questions later. I think those cops should be fired and sent back to the academy. NEVER in a million years would I have believed what I saw if I didn't read it myself.

I was told by someone not long ago that Clifton is turning into another Passaic and Paterson. Well, after I see our own Police force is unable to restrain themselves, maybe they're right and that's sad cause Clifton was a wonderful place to live in and the police were men and women we were proud of.

A few bad apples....can ruin it and have for the rest. How about bringing back some of the older more experienced police officer back from retirement and have them school the newbies, school those who are too quick to reach for their weapon.

I jsut don't know, very upset and now dont' trust the police department I was very proud of.

Clifton,NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 8, 2007

Kim wrote:
I have know John since I was a little girl, he is the sweetest most harmless person you will ever meet. My thoughts and prayers are with him and his family. This should have never happend.
Corzine is an ASSSSSSS! He's making remarks about seatbelts but, if he wasn't driving in a speeding car, none of that would've happened. Belt or not!
I think there should be a major investigation of the police officers who did the shooting. What's Al Sharpton doing now a days?

Clifton,NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 8, 2007

I don't think the Passaic County Prosecutor should touch this case, It should go to a Federal Prosecutor.
speed

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 12, 2007

Judged:

So, the Passaic County Prosecutor should not touch the case Why??? And what part did John not understand about a stop? Corzine is an (what)? Shame on you. Have you heard about the cops that have just been shot over a routine traffic stop? How did they know if Mr. Kubasta had any weapons? Maybe he did no one knows since there has been a gag order. There must of been a reason why he didn't stop and the reason wasn't 'stupid'. There must be more and I am sure 'dispicable' knows why. bye
Garfield

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 13, 2007

Welcome back speed. You do have it right but only until a point. I am aso tired of this click it or ticket thing. I dread putting my seat belt on. There have been cases where the person is dead because of the stupid seat belt. But it's a law so I'm now kind of stuck and giving in to it. No choice in the matter. You sound like everyone else who knows dispicable. If there is nothing in it for dispicable then dispicable doesn't want anything to do with it. There's no more media coverage for now so dear dispicabe is back home boorrrreeeedddd. In the mean time this poor disabled young man is in his parents custody with three bullets still in him. We are all suprised that the bail isn't much higher because if he didn't understand what the traffic stop was for will he understand that at the last minute he can't run off and hide someplace. Very sad.
another garfield

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 25, 2007

unfathomable? About What? Permanently Disabled and dependent on others? Give us all a break. He's home most of the time taking care of himself. Being by himself he rather go to the store and buy food instead of cooking something. He used to use the excuse that his mother didn't leave him anything in the house. He used to go to a store around the corner from his house for breakfast all the time. Knew how much everything cost and exactly how much change was due to him. He used to tell the people whom he spoke with about how he had to take care of his own clothes. We remember him saying how if he doesn't wash and fold his clothes himself it doesn't get done. John used to say, My mother told me that I'm to big for her to do it anymore. And I'm going back years ago. He's not the smartest person in the world but not a disabled character as they are making him out to be.

“"Legal Eye"”

Since: Jul 07

Boston

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 25, 2007

Kim wrote:
Even those with the most innocent heart sometimes overreact from fear and make errors as those who are out there protecting our streets. I think both sides of the coin made errors. As for travesty of justice and corzine. please. Old man Corzine was in a speeding car and instead of starting a campaign to slow down and not speed, he reinforces the seat belt law because he can make more money with those type of tickets. I also know of 3 people, one personally and the other two in the news at two separate times, who were burnt alive becasue of their seatbelts. No, Corzine is a slime.
laura

Edison, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 25, 2007

how diasabled is this man, and why does he have a liscence?
laura

Edison, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 25, 2007

Katherine BS wrote:
I am sickened and appalled by this news of OUR Clifton Police Officers firing 6 shots!! This is NOT Bed-Stuy NY, Bushwick NY, nor is this Bronx, NY or LA! What happened to our police officers in Clifton??? We had the best of the best, never such a thing with firing at that rate for such a reason. They had to be rookies, in that I mean under 3 years of service or are too jumpy and unprofessional to be in this line of work. We had the best of the best here. I knew most of them through our family business here in Clifton and honestly, I never felt as safe in any other town as I did here. The Police Officers we had in Clifton were the epitome of profesionalism and didn't have to jump for their guns especially not like this! This isn't the wild west guys, I have to assume since this happened in the evening it was newbies, wet behind the ears and it's a shame that our Mayor and those who hire the police officers for our town just hired anyone off the street instead of keeping with the tradition of getting the best.
I can tell you one thing about our then policemen, people from other towns and areas, knew better than to cause trouble here, the Clifton Police Force was known as a tough set of officers, no bull, no crap and PROFESSIONAL!
I wonder if I should be afraid to walk in the dark as to not be shot by a Clifton cop for waving hello. No excuse for what happened. This reminds me of the Sean Bell case, shoot first ask questions later. I think those cops should be fired and sent back to the academy. NEVER in a million years would I have believed what I saw if I didn't read it myself.
I was told by someone not long ago that Clifton is turning into another Passaic and Paterson. Well, after I see our own Police force is unable to restrain themselves, maybe they're right and that's sad cause Clifton was a wonderful place to live in and the police were men and women we were proud of.
A few bad apples....can ruin it and have for the rest. How about bringing back some of the older more experienced police officer back from retirement and have them school the newbies, school those who are too quick to reach for their weapon.
I jsut don't know, very upset and now dont' trust the police department I was very proud of.
the officers in the sean bell case we attacked first. the officers in that case had every right to fire back.
as for the clifton cops, i dont know enough about this case to comment, only what i've read in these posts, i still dont really understand what happened. sounds like the guy attacked the cops with his car. the cops need to take the streets back from the scumbags and make them safe for everyone. it's totally ridiculous.
as for corzine, he's a scumbag too, i'm glad i didnt vote for him, but that doesnt help me, because he's still in office. seatbelts save more lives than you think, just visit an ER and see the MVA victims that come in who havent been wearing them. their injuries are much worse if msot cases fatal.
Garfield

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 25, 2007

I guess you didn't hear but this so called disabled man has a hunting license as well as a drivers license. Did you ever have someone in your class who was slower and not as smart as every one else? Well that is this man but the the Garfield school system has special classes for students who are slow learners. He probably got annoyed that the emergency vehicle wanted to get in front of him so he kept driving. The Garfield police at that time must of felt it was importat to follow him into Clifton. The way I see it is that one bad decision led into another on both parties part. There are good and bad about wearing seat belts. I wish I didn't have to wear it but I do only because just in case I am stopped I will have it on. To me it's a pain in the a..

“"Legal Eye"”

Boston

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 25, 2007

laura wrote:
<quoted text>
the officers in the sean bell case we attacked first. the officers in that case had every right to fire back.
as for the clifton cops, i dont know enough about this case to comment, only what i've read in these posts, i still dont really understand what happened. sounds like the guy attacked the cops with his car. the cops need to take the streets back from the scumbags and make them safe for everyone. it's totally ridiculous.
as for corzine, he's a scumbag too, i'm glad i didnt vote for him, but that doesnt help me, because he's still in office. seatbelts save more lives than you think, just visit an ER and see the MVA victims that come in who havent been wearing them. their injuries are much worse if msot cases fatal.
I'll do without the seatbelt, thank you. I want to get out when i want to get out. If you're not speeding you'll be fine. But if you're gonna speed, put on that damn seatbelt and have at your side something to cut it in the event something happens. me? I'll take my chances. MY life, and I don't feel the government has the right to tell me what to do in that instance.

“"Legal Eye"”

Boston

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 25, 2007

I'm sorry, I'm sure the belt does help. But for me, only if I'm on a highway would I consider putting it on. My fear of being burnt alive is greater than my worry for paying a ticket.
laura

Edison, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 25, 2007

my hisband was crossing 23 by home depot several years ago and some dipshit in an old lincoln ran the red light and t-boned him. mind you he was in a mountaineer - he went airbourne and landed on the roof 2 lanes away. had he not had his seatbelt on and not for some divine intervention he would have been seriously hurt. he crawled out of the car with torn suit pants and a scratch on his leg. of course he was sore for a couple of days, but the seatbelt definatley kept him from getting more seriuosly injured. i know its a pain but having worked in health care for many years, i've seen too much.
i'd rather wear it than not, i need to be around for my husband and my kids - they'd never find anyhting in hte house!!
speed

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 27, 2007

Judged:

I hate to wear my seatbelt but do it just because I have to. For a while John's family was all over the newspapers, radio, and television. But have you noticed John himself has never said he was innocent. Before his family even talked to him they were saying things like he probably didn't understand. Well, what part of red blinking lights and sirens going on for miles and miles didn't he understand? But that's what parents do is to always try and protect their child no matter what, right or wrong. I am sure that I would do the same. I would probably go to the end of the world and do what ever it took for me to help my child stay out of jail.
moved

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 30, 2007

Judged:

laura...Have you read Police chase ends with violent crash-shooting on page 7 then you would understand. It's about a 'fictious of course' book that just might be named family dearest. It is unfortunate that there is so much more to it. It will be about a family with two cildren one called SLOW and one called SMART. There will be a whole chapter dedicated to how when SLOWS father was in jail how SLOWS grandfather (mothers side)_ took off his belt and went after him all because SLOW was back mouthing mom. I recall speaking up and saying, "What's he going to do to him!" And SLOWS mother's sisters jumped all over me saying "He's the grandfather and can do anything he wants to him". I remember the exact words. Was very sad and I was upset but then again he used to do the same thing to his wife and children. Then the story will go how I left the house. But 2 days later SMART told me that her mother's mother and sisters told her to keep hitting him in front of me when ever he does ANYTHING wrong to show me who's boss. And that is what happened. What did she prove??? Only that she was able to be a bully.
moved

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 1, 2007

Judged:

Kim, are you the Kim that was in John's class? There must be another Kim then. Because there was only one other that I knew of and I know it can't be her because many many years ago Johns grandmother told people about a friends dughter around the corner whos (only as she can say) mother had to "put her in a nut house." So I know it's not her if shes been sent away. Oh well, I think it was very nice what you wrote about John. He's had a hard life always being in the back-round all the time. Seems like almost everybody is moving out of Garfield these days.

“A true Spartan Diva”

Since: Aug 07

Clifton, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 1, 2007

laura wrote:
my hisband was crossing 23 by home depot several years ago and some dipshit in an old lincoln ran the red light and t-boned him. mind you he was in a mountaineer - he went airbourne and landed on the roof 2 lanes away. had he not had his seatbelt on and not for some divine intervention he would have been seriously hurt. he crawled out of the car with torn suit pants and a scratch on his leg. of course he was sore for a couple of days, but the seatbelt definatley kept him from getting more seriuosly injured. i know its a pain but having worked in health care for many years, i've seen too much.
i'd rather wear it than not, i need to be around for my husband and my kids - they'd never find anyhting in hte house!!
My sister and her little 4 month old daughter were burnt alive because she couldn't get the seat belt off of her and the flames were so bad the bystanders didn't want to risk their lives. This happened 6 years ago in Ohio while she was on vacation. 6 years this coming November 4. I'm with the judge, it's a personal decision and that's it. My sister used to yell at me for not putting on my belt. Last years I got pretty banged up, but got out of the car and that's what I wish my sister was able to do with little Tiffany.
speed

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 1, 2007

Judged:

This case involving The middle age man is not about wearing a seat belt. It's about a man who decided not to let an emergency vehicle through and then rode slowly over the bridge into the next town over a dozen miles for a reason that only he knows why. And he is not talking. There is no one who as of yet heard a comment from him. Only his family members are getting their 15 minutes of fame any way they can. I know there are a lot of people out there that are waiting for his statement as to why he didn't want to stop. But by now it will be either a rehearsed statement or he will try to get out of it by doing something like refusing to talk as he will shrug his shoulders and stare in mid air. Wonder which way his lawyer will advise.
As far as the seatbelt goes there are good and bad on both sides of it. Spartan I am extremely sorry for you loss. I guess the belt just locked and nothing could of been done. I now always carry a seatbelt cutter and keep it in a small pocket on the drivers side door. I also have one on the passengers side door. Then on the other hand there are cars that go off cliffs and tumble around and around and the person is saved by not hitting his head on the roof when the car is upside down. It is a tough call and a very tough decision.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 35
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Lavallette Discussions

Search the Lavallette Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
What lies beneath downtown Toms River?What lies... Jul 20 Captain Spalding 1
Lavallette police officer makes department's fi... Jul 19 You know who 1
Moped crew Jul 14 Buda10 1
i need to know about rosanna frodelius (Oct '09) Jul 6 Mee 8
Review: Spring Oak Of Toms River Jul 5 Barry d 2
Project To Add Additional Lane To Section Of GS... Jun 29 Tony Pistilli 1
Debate: Gay Marriage - Lavallette, NJ (Jan '12) Jun '14 Lisa O 7
•••
•••