Man Goes to Prison for Crash that Killed Friend

Full story: WLTX Columbia 28
A man has been sentenced to seven years in prison for a drunken driving crash where authorities say he walked away, leaving the victim pinned underneath the wreckage. Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

“Do we still stand united?”

Since: Jun 07

Small Town in South Carolina

#21 Apr 8, 2008
youre-kidding wrote:
people people people...lets stop the bickering and go have a beer or cocktail....I'll drive...:-)
What if we just meet you there?

“Preggo again! ”

Since: Jan 08

Back in Columbia

#22 Apr 8, 2008
NYred_KEEP IT REAL wrote:
<quoted text>
*QUOTES
"Smith, who has a previous conviction for DUI, was arrested ten hours later at the hospital."
"After the crash, Smith called his sister and had her take him to the hospital, Flemming said."
"Smith's attorney, Dan Farnsworth, told the judge that Smith was crawling around on the ground after the crash and that his cell phone was broken."
So yeah, you read correctly. He called his sister to come pick him up but the lawyer says his phone was broken! I guess he called from his broken phone or called then broke the phone for his coverup. He should of got more time since he has a prior DUI on his record. Now I see how the system works, you get 7 yrs for killing (off a 2nd offense DUI) & 15-20 yrs for trafficking drugs. Oh yeah, I see the justice.
Thanks, just making sure I wasn't missing anything.
hello----

Columbia, SC

#23 Apr 8, 2008
and he was sentenced too.......what?
say what

Summerville, SC

#24 Apr 8, 2008
It's bad enought drinking and driving but to leave her there w/o help, that did him in. I believe the guy feels badly for his actions and I'm glad he did actually get sentenced to time behind bars. Let it be a lesson to everyone out there who drinks and drives. She was willing to ride with him knowing his state of mind. I don't think either of them thought about her children at the time nor did they think about anyone elses because it could have been anyone's life on the line when he wrecked!
portia s of winnsboro

United States

#25 Apr 8, 2008
This is a really good detail artilce. I think they should have gaving him more time than that because he knew that lady was beneathe that car. He knew someone was in the car with by himself. Want to use drunk as a excuse. They should have given him more time than that.
drink milk

Lexington, SC

#26 Apr 8, 2008
Honestly, some people that are drunk are hard to deal with. If you say "don't drive, I'll take you" they get pissed and try to fight. I say these bars need a cop at the exit of their parking lot, therefore, arresting these drunks as they leave. It would save gas on chasing their drunk asses. Lock'em up and make'um pay.
Dang

Myrtle Beach, SC

#27 Apr 8, 2008
If you got to check your halo on this story, then you're too dumb to even know you ain't got one.

South Carolina: Smiling Faces - Too Drunk to Care.
DrMcNamara wrote:
...she has paid the ultimate price for her choices, whether right or wrong.
Some of you need to check your halos.
tiger

United States

#28 May 20, 2008
shoregasm wrote:
Seven years is not enough when you kill someone.
Amen! But it gets better more and more police are writing tickets for willful reckless driving which will cost you your license and probably put you in jail with a hefty fine to boot. The part most don't get is this, if your charged and convicted for willful reckless driving your insurance company will drop you immediatly. No other insurance company will pick you up and if they do your insurance premuims will be over $1400.00 a month for the next 5 years or 16,800 dollars a year and all this is because you were a dumbass! Last year while crossing the street with other pedestrians a girl on her cell phone turned left and came within inches of hitting me and another lady. Her luck ran out when the cop sitting at the stop light down the street witnessed the occurance> Her car was towed, she lost her license for 5yrs, and spent 1 yr in prison at the age of 17 yr's old! She told the judge that the punishment wasn't fair and he reminded her that had she hit us the one year in prison could have been life. So for all you idiot drivers out there be aware because prison could be your next stop. And if you kill or injure someone prison won't be your only problem the lawsuit that follows means that person will take it all from you.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Laurens Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Rts is it a scam (Aug '12) Oct 9 Positivity - is -... 12
SCHP investing fatal collision in Anderson Co. Oct 3 ACE MILNER 4
Review: RTS LLC (Dec '12) Sep '14 Kirby Lover 15
14-year-old Girl Dies Week After Golf Cart Fall (Jan '08) Sep '14 FearGod-ForChange 16
brilliance of nostradamus word "AFFRIQUE" (Apr '12) Aug '14 Sailboat1107 78
SCDPS: Trooper who arrested NFL player for spee... Aug '14 Guest 1
Any one knows John Birch from Boothill band? (Aug '09) Aug '14 Your mom 16
Laurens Dating
Find my Match

Laurens Jobs

Laurens People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Laurens News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Laurens

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]