Man Goes to Prison for Crash that Killed Friend

Full story: WLTX Columbia

A man has been sentenced to seven years in prison for a drunken driving crash where authorities say he walked away, leaving the victim pinned underneath the wreckage.
Comments
1 - 20 of 28 Comments Last updated May 20, 2008
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
shoregasm

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 8, 2008

Seven years is not enough when you kill someone.

“Preggo again! ”

Since: Jan 08

Back in Columbia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 8, 2008

I'm a little confused on one part of the story. It says that he called his sister to pick him up and take him to the hospital but in another part his lawyer says that he has crawling around on the ground and his cell phone was broken. Did I read that wrong? When it comes down do it, he ran and didn't call know one for her cause he was just plain scared. He already had previous DUI's right. He was a coward.

“Forgive and Forget”

Since: Oct 07

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 8, 2008

What was this wonderful mother of three doing picking up guys at 3AM at the local bar?? Where were the kids??? They were not very improtant that night! Dont drink and drive!!!
Me Again

Columbia, SC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 8, 2008

There is nothing like having your mother drinking at the bar with you. Neither older mother or younger mother cared much about the children. What are we coming to?
Mudsharkslayer

Columbia, SC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 8, 2008

Me Again wrote:
There is nothing like having your mother drinking at the bar with you. Neither older mother or younger mother cared much about the children. What are we coming to?
They both were looking for new sugar daddies that have their own doublewide.
Just Me

Winnsboro, SC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 8, 2008

Gamecocks are awesome wrote:
What was this wonderful mother of three doing picking up guys at 3AM at the local bar?? Where were the kids??? They were not very improtant that night! Dont drink and drive!!!
I agree with you. She chose to ride with someone that she knew was drinking. And grandma was at the bar, too!
Lamigra

Columbia, SC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 8, 2008

I heard that her head was trapped underneath the steering column.

“Raising a stink”

Since: Jun 07

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 8, 2008

Gamecocks are awesome wrote:
Took the words right out of my mouth...
Of Course

Columbia, SC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 8, 2008

All the self-righteous keyboard warriors come out on the WLTX boards to blame the victim. Big surprise.
Dang

Myrtle Beach, SC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 8, 2008

Yes, here's a fine example of SC family life to share with the kids. This whole lot are the dregs of society, living from one drunk to the next. The dead girls mother was drinking in the early morning hours at the same bar, when she saw the daughter leave with a reckless drunk driver! Who doesn't think this is whacked! This is just plain CRAZY!!! And his employer is willing to hire him back? Someone call this company's insurance agent and tell them they hire drunks to drive their company vehicles. And this is why SC is famous for our weak DUI laws.

Since: Mar 08

Monetta, SC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 8, 2008

What a messed up scenario. I don't think he got enough time though.
so what

Florence, SC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 8, 2008

SHE GOT INTO THE CAR!!!...and the mother was there and KNEW she was getting into the car and knew he was drunk...He should be in jail, but MOM is just as guilty!
have mercy

Lugoff, SC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 8, 2008

7 years should be for first offense DUI without killing someone. It should be ALOT worse for repeat offenders, especially those who took a life. And this coward should never get out because he left her there to die!
Jack Black

Columbia, SC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 8, 2008

Of Course wrote:
All the self-righteous keyboard warriors come out on the WLTX boards to blame the victim. Big surprise.
The only victims are the children.

This woman choose to get in the car with this man. This womans mother was there and she knew he was drunk and did nothing.

A big surprise would be if you actually had a brain....GFY....

“There's no vaccine for stupid.”

Since: Feb 08

Here, there, everywhere

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 8, 2008

With all do respect people, you don't know that this wasn't the one time in a blue moon, that the young mom gets out leaves the kids with a sitter overnight or whatever, doesn't make her a BAD mother.
As far as HER mother, so what? Are people not allowed to go out at night- late night- in your perfect society?
Judging the mother for her whereabouts does not excuse the fact she was left to die- she has paid the ultimate price for her choices, whether right or wrong.
Some of you need to check your halos.
Jack Black

Columbia, SC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 8, 2008

so what wrote:
SHE GOT INTO THE CAR!!!...and the mother was there and KNEW she was getting into the car and knew he was drunk...He should be in jail, but MOM is just as guilty!
I agree!

Since: Jan 08

Baltimore, MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 8, 2008

She did get in to the car and she paid the price for that. I don't think an error in judgment is worthy of death but even if that's what you believe, he also got into the car and he drove knowing he was drunk. Why are you so upset that he is also paying the price, a much smaller one, but a price never the less. As for her not caring about her kids because she was out drinking, are any of you parents? If so, are you saying that you have never, since your kids were born, gone out and drank or partied while your kids were with someone else. They never said anything about her not knowing this guy or just picking him up in the bar that night. And I hardly believe that a drunk, mother of three could have her mind changed by her mother so let's not go to the extreme of saying her mother should be in jail also. Maybe if she was not of legal age but she wasn't. You should trying spending as much time learning compassion as you doing judging others.

Since: Mar 08

Monetta, SC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 8, 2008

people people people...lets stop the bickering and go have a beer or cocktail....I'll drive...:-)

“Soy Bueno...Consigo el dinero!”

Since: Dec 07

ALBANY, NY 2==>the METRO of SC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 8, 2008

nunya23 wrote:
I'm a little confused on one part of the story. It says that he called his sister to pick him up and take him to the hospital but in another part his lawyer says that he has crawling around on the ground and his cell phone was broken. Did I read that wrong? When it comes down do it, he ran and didn't call know one for her cause he was just plain scared. He already had previous DUI's right. He was a coward.
*QUOTES
"Smith, who has a previous conviction for DUI, was arrested ten hours later at the hospital."
"After the crash, Smith called his sister and had her take him to the hospital, Flemming said."
"Smith's attorney, Dan Farnsworth, told the judge that Smith was crawling around on the ground after the crash and that his cell phone was broken."

So yeah, you read correctly. He called his sister to come pick him up but the lawyer says his phone was broken! I guess he called from his broken phone or called then broke the phone for his coverup. He should of got more time since he has a prior DUI on his record. Now I see how the system works, you get 7 yrs for killing (off a 2nd offense DUI) & 15-20 yrs for trafficking drugs. Oh yeah, I see the justice.
Olive Oyl

Columbia, SC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 8, 2008

Am I the ONLY one who noticed the horrible GRAMMATICAL error in this article? Great proofreading again, WLTX...
The article states, "...Smith had drank several orange-juice-and-vodka drinks..."
It's not "had DRANK". He either "DRANK" or "had DRUNK".
But back to the subject at hand...
I am in agreement with others here. The victim KNEW and was CAUTIONED about this man being drunk and she CHOSE to ride with him anyway. Although she lost her life in this accident, she still holds some culpability in it; mainly because she WILLINGLY made the choice to ride with someone who was obviously intoxicated.
I don't feel seven years is a sufficient sentence for this man who KNOWINGLY drove while intoxicated and then left his passenger pinned in the vehicle while he sought medical treatment for himself. Especially since it was NOT the first time he had been charged with DUI.
What about the sister? Was she aware of the woman pinned in the vehicle? If so, why didn't she call EMS? If she was aware of it, the sister should also be charged for the woman's death if she knowingly left her pinned in the wreckage while she took her DRUNK brother to the hospital.
Is there "more" to the story we're not hearing?

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Laurens Discussions

Search the Laurens Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Police Corruption in South Carolina (Aug '09) 1 hr John 60
Dooley to teach at Sherman College of Chiroprac... 4 hr Chiropractor from Chicago 5
Working the Drive-Thru Window for 12 Years With... Jul 27 TRansom 3
looking for sherry orr (Jun '12) Jul 25 HEATHER 6
Rts is it a scam (Aug '12) Jul 24 nate 11
SC SC state senator refers to candidate as 'raghead' (Jun '10) Jul 22 Lawrence Wolf 1,126
Review: Thrifty Boutique Jul 16 Tammy Stedman 1
•••

Flash Flood Watch for Laurens County was issued at July 31 at 3:59PM EDT

•••
•••
•••
•••

Laurens Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••