Columbia Police Search for Rape Suspect

Columbia Police Search for Rape Suspect

There are 17 comments on the WLTX Columbia story from Feb 22, 2008, titled Columbia Police Search for Rape Suspect. In it, WLTX Columbia reports that:

Columbia police are actively searching for a rape suspect late Friday. Officers have set up a perimeter in the area near Laurens and Cherokee Street.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WLTX Columbia.

how

United States

#1 Feb 22, 2008
how do you call crime
stopers when you do not
know if the man is black or white
or mexican

Police say they only have a vague description of the suspect.

its so vague they do not know
race give me a bake

.
.
Hello

Concord, VA

#2 Feb 22, 2008
Columbia is turning into a cesspool.
hmmmmm

United States

#4 Feb 22, 2008
Go get a job! Im tired of bums,beggers,panhandlers,etc.T here is plenty of work here in SC.Get off your a zz
Maybe he wanted to move in with her.
Cola Resident

Andrews, SC

#6 Feb 23, 2008
You may have a right to walk to the convience store alone, but it sure isn't safe.
UNCFAN

Manning, SC

#7 Feb 23, 2008
Every time the police try and do something about the homeless, the public and churches get upset. I guess we have to feed them like stray cats so they keep multiplying and coming back.
Enough

Okatie, SC

#8 Feb 23, 2008
You know, something really needs to be done about the homeless problem here in Columbia. It is out of control! This female should have known better than to walk alone at that time of the night! You just can't do that this day and time. Why don't people call the cops when they see someone unfamiliar to them roaming around in the area they live in? Especially if it is in/near their neighborhood? Come on folks, have you ever heard of "be your brother's keeper?" We must watch out for others! Remember, the life you save may be your own.
Hate stupid headlines

Murrells Inlet, SC

#9 Feb 23, 2008
Great description with the clothes.....
was the criminal grean,white, yellow or black? If you can't give a true description don't even bother with the fluff.Who cares if he had a green hoodie on?
PAM

AOL

#10 Feb 23, 2008
Enough wrote:
You know, something really needs to be done about the homeless problem here in Columbia. It is out of control! This female should have known better than to walk alone at that time of the night! You just can't do that this day and time. Why don't people call the cops when they see someone unfamiliar to them roaming around in the area they live in? Especially if it is in/near their neighborhood? Come on folks, have you ever heard of "be your brother's keeper?" We must watch out for others! Remember, the life you save may be your own.
I agree with you 100% I also something needn to be done about the homeless a lot of them could find work they dont wont they like when someone else feed and colth them just plan sorry need to be put in jail and make cook and clean the jail and cut the grass bet some would find work then
paula

Florence, SC

#11 Feb 23, 2008
many years ago this happened to a friend of mine. the guy grabbed her around her neck and tried to drag her into the bushes near u.s.c. she took off one of her wooden, high heeled candies (do u remember those) and proceeded to beat him in the had with the wooden, pointed heel. she chased HIM down the street, beating him in the head, with him calling for help from the police......all women should take a self defense course, or wear candies.....
paula

Florence, SC

#12 Feb 23, 2008
Hello wrote:
Columbia is turning into a cesspool.
it's not just columbia......it's just not safe, really for anyone, to go out at night. my husband, who is a cop, says i'm paranoid, but i will NOT go anywhere at night by myself. i'm VERY aware when i go out during the day alone. it's sad that we can't feel safe unless we're behind closed doors with a loaded s&w in our lap......
COLA Concerned Citizen

Columbia, SC

#13 Feb 23, 2008
PAM wrote:
<quoted text>I agree with you 100% I also something needn to be done about the homeless a lot of them could find work they dont wont they like when someone else feed and colth them just plan sorry need to be put in jail and make cook and clean the jail and cut the grass bet some would find work then
Sorry to enlighten you but the "homeless persons" you are talking about are the "downtown citizens" of our fair city. They have lived there for years and on any given day migrate between "help houses". The only reason it is an ongoing challenge today is because those areas are now "improved and residential". So the issue is one of displacing the citizenry, so to speak. There is no place left for them to go. There is no place left for them to stay. So sad, so sad!

“Speak your mind.”

Since: Aug 07

Lavonia, GA

#14 Feb 23, 2008
There are several issues in this story.
--First, while I'm certainly not going to blame the victim here, I DO think that there are things we can do to protect ourselves to prevent being a victim (namely, not walking around ALONE at night). Based on the story, she had to walk through Five Points to get from the store to Laurens Street (the Exxon station, if my reasoning is right).
--Some posters are focusing on the "homeless problem". Yes, there is one, but I don't think it's the focus of this story. The alleged perpetrator was homeless (according to the victim), but having attended USC, I never had any fear of the homeless...I was more concerned about what the crazy coeds were going to do! Yes, some homeless people don't want to do better...but considering the way the economy is heading, MANY people are just 1-2 paychecks away from being homeless themselves.
--

Since: Feb 08

North Myrtle Beach, SC

#15 Feb 23, 2008
paula wrote:
<quoted text>
it's not just columbia......it's just not safe, really for anyone, to go out at night. my husband, who is a cop, says i'm paranoid, but i will NOT go anywhere at night by myself. i'm VERY aware when i go out during the day alone. it's sad that we can't feel safe unless we're behind closed doors with a loaded s&w in our lap......
Girl, go out. You know nobody wants to get up on that big old fat sweatpant wearin' thang.
Get up out the house and go jogging. You will be safe for at least 6 months.
Holla!!!
mark andrews

Sumter, SC

#16 Feb 23, 2008
it was less than ten hours after the woman on Laurens Street had been sexually assaulted, that the same man was spotted in the same area. The Cola PD was contacted who supposedly set up a perimeter but yet the suspect could not be found.Even though he is thought to be in the area almost 24/7. If the Cola Pd paid more attention to crime solving then cheating on their tests it may be safer for patrons to walk around the 5 Points area.
Ed in columbia

Maxton, NC

#17 Feb 24, 2008
I wish we could round up all the homeless and people in the prisons and put them on a island where they don't have trees then they would build something to get away and leave them for each other to take their worthless habits on.
James

Hilton Head Island, SC

#18 Feb 24, 2008
homeless people are given too many breaks as it is, send them to NY
City Mgr_Chief_Minist er

Rock Hill, SC

#19 Feb 27, 2008
UNCFAN wrote:
Every time the police try and do something about the homeless, the public and churches get upset. I guess we have to feed them like stray cats so they keep multiplying and coming back.
Excuse me, but have you ever spent any time with a homeless person? Most of these people are just down on their luck, some have served in battle for our safety and others may be there by choice. Whatever their situation, I may want to spend my time with them rather than someone like you.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Laurens Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Elizabeth Romano May 24 kitty29 1
News Prominent Spartanburg, SC Plastic Surgeon: Dr. ... (Nov '09) May 24 One and only 4
Chelsea Nicole Sanford May 23 Wondering 1
Pastor No Better Than a Thief (Mar '16) May 15 Theourgoi 3
Where to buy spice (Nov '16) Apr 28 lol 2
Johnny Lever of cochise dr is a pedophile and a... (Feb '12) Apr 28 Patrick Parke 4
Childcare Apr '17 Stayathomemom 1

Laurens Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Laurens Mortgages