Upstate Group Burns Confederate Flags

Upstate Group Burns Confederate Flags

There are 7 comments on the WYFF-TV Greenville story from May 1, 2007, titled Upstate Group Burns Confederate Flags. In it, WYFF-TV Greenville reports that:

Some confederate flags were burned in the Upstate over the weekend. Organizers said that Sunday's flag burning in Laurens was designed to send a message to Southerners. via WYFF-TV Greenville

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WYFF-TV Greenville.

John Taylor Bowles

United States

#1 May 3, 2007
Rev. Kennedy must be having trouble raising money for this church to resort to flag burning tactics.
Dee Brown

United States

#2 May 18, 2007
I think every one of those flags should be burned.They are a symbol of hate and oppression. People died for that flag? Black people and white people. Why? Because Black people wanted to be free and white people wanted to continue making money with no thought of the lives they had enslaved. Pretending that flag stands for anything other than a wish that those days could come back is bull.
Dee Brown

United States

#3 May 18, 2007
John Taylor Bowles wrote:
Rev. Kennedy must be having trouble raising money for this church to resort to flag burning tactics.
you are an uninformed a**hole.

Since: May 07

Cray Court SC

#4 May 26, 2007
oh please, the war was not over the flag! It was over the people/politicians of the north dictating what those of the South could and could not do,{ According to Civil War historian and southerner Shelby Foote, the flag traditionally represented the south's resistance to northern political dominance.}From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia..also think on this: In September 1862, Lincoln's Emancipation Proclamation made the freeing of slaves in the South a war goal, despite opposition from northern Copperheads who tolerated secession and slavery.(From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)
The slavery issue was just a match put to a pile of wood. Yes, slavery was wrong, it was a dark cloud over US history, and nothing we say or do now will ever change what happened then. People condemn the wearing of the Battleflag, but i ask you this, how would you feel if they passed a law stating that you could not wear anything from your heritage. ex. African , American Indian, or Latin American... you wouldn't like that would you? Any burning of Flags is an insult to that culture's history...remember there was more to Southern heritage than just slavery.

The group that burnt the Battleflag were just using the actions of those teachers as an excuse to get their names in the papers. Yes the actions of the teachers was WRONG, however it was in NO WAY racist, nor did it have ANYTHING to do with the Civil War.
Peter

Spartanburg, SC

#5 Jun 4, 2007
Dee Brown wrote:
<quoted text>
you are an uninformed a**hole.
No he is not. Rev. Kennedy needs to grow up and find a new hobby. What does burning a rebel flag have to do with the children that was abused in the county schools. Last time I check not a dang thing so you need to get informed. Plus Kennedy is tied with the Redneck shop in Laurens and just needed to spend some money in his store.
The flag

Cape May, NJ

#6 Jun 9, 2007
The flag is a symbol of the south not hate only a retarded black would oppose it.
Ben K

AOL

#7 Jun 11, 2007
The flag is not a symbol of what people are taking it. It's a part of South Carolina history if people like or not. AND TO SEND A MESSAGE TO THE SOUTHERNERS??? What does that mean???? Think about it people from here are all southererns no matter what color or race you are. So people let racism die please, certain people are keeping it alive and it needs to stop. I am sick of it.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Laurens Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
The Midnight Sun (Mar '10) 16 min Yeah Right 13
News Nikki Haley Supports Spartanburg "Resettlement"... 8 hr Vote Trump 38
Bo the loan man at riders roost Aug 17 crazynurse 3
background checks at bmw Aug 10 katelyn 1
Murderer Jonathan Benny Aug 3 lynn 2
Moving to Spartanburg Jul '15 Rebel Fighter 2
News Dollar Tree Investing $104M, Creating 400 SC Jobs Jul '15 Dana Wiggleton 1
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Laurens Mortgages