Female pedestrian killed, another injured in Laurel

Feb 12, 2009 Full story: The Baltimore Sun 35

One pedestrian was killed and another taken to a hospital in serious condition after two women were struck by a car in Laurel today, police said.

Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
close friends of both

Manassas, VA

#21 Feb 24, 2009
i have been reading everyones' comments for the last few days. and i feel like i need to express myself. for one,mrs.rowland,i am sure that when you got up to go wherever you were going that day that you did'nt have it in your head to do any harm. i'm human enough to realize that. it has taken me a few days to try and figure out what i want folks to know about these two cherished ladies.bibi had a smile that could light up the room as soon as you walked in. even on bad days,she'd beamed a beautiful smile. she was a sweet spirit.i don't think she could have hurt a fly.always kind. mary,wow. another amazing person. someone that you could pick up the phone at any time and always a willing ear. these two women crossed 198 5 days a week for several years. never had a problem. it's sad that everyone seems to be putting the blame on them.when we all learned of the tradgedy that happened that day,it tore all of us apart. i did go to the funeral. it's hard to look at small children and see that there is a missing piece to their puzzle.the rock that would keep hold til all grows up. it's hard to look at a brand new grand child and all she'll have are stories. mary was supposed to be my bridesmaide. she won't be able to do that either. am i grieving, i guess i am.however, i know both my dear friends love me as much i as love them.and i know they want me to be able to be strong.so for what's left,i'm doing the best that i can.everyone is.so to those of you who have said prayers,we thank you.the truth will come out.i know in my heart it will.everything i've been taught has been my srength along with friends and family to help eachother try to mend the broken heart. i pray that for all families,that the good lord above bring peace to those in need.
none urs

Laurel, MD

#22 Feb 24, 2009
Then stop stalking people just because they talk to themselves...they dont hear things...and they definitely dont see things are u paranoid or something.?and theyre not on drugs either necessarily dont harrass people about their age either!
Mary Willey_ Laura Cruz wrote:
I dont agree with this article. How can pedestrians cross against a pedestrian "do not walk" signal, if they are not in the crosswalk??? What evidence indicates that they were crossing against the signal. Bibi's head had gone through the drivers window shield and then the driver backed up with enough speed to hit Mary, the second victum shattering most of her body. How is that not excessive speed?? PATRICIA ROWLAND killed a mother of 2 small children and injured the other woman leaving her in serious condition. The speed limit at that intersection is between 35 and 45 mph. What ever happened to the people driving being responsible for thier actions, and pedestrians having the right of way???
The article indicates that the driver had no fault in this "accident" and that it was the Pedestrians faults.
Soytinly

Glen Burnie, MD

#23 Feb 24, 2009
Sympathetic Citizen wrote:
....again wait and see. Some of us know the facts already but can't share it yet. The truth will come out to the public very soon. I'm assuming "skt" knows some insider details as well. Driver or pedestrian someone was at fault...either way one of them is gone, the other still hospitalized, and the other will remember for the rest of her life.
BTW, pedestrians ARE ALLOWED to walk in that specific area where the accident happened. I KNOW THAT 100%...I visited the site. DON'T ALWAYS BELIEVE WHAT YOU READ!!!
OK, we won't...Starting with this post!
Soytinly

Glen Burnie, MD

#24 Feb 24, 2009
Dagg...This one has really brought out a batch of nut cases!
Amazed

Frederick, MD

#25 Feb 27, 2009
Caring Friend of Mary wrote:
<quoted text>
Obviously you are not a Sympathetic person. You don't have to sit by the bedside of Mary who is in the hospital. You don't have to make arrangements what is going to happen to her home or her cat, or ask her son to come home from the military to deal with this "accident". YOU ARE NOT A SYMPATHETIC PERSON YOU ARE A PATHETIC PERSON.
You are expected to lash out. You are grieving and concerned for your friend. Have you once thought about what it feels like to be involved in such a tragedy? What if you were driving and you hit someone? Don't say that would never happen to you because you don't know that. Do you think Ms. Rowland got up that morning and decided to play "human pinball" on her way to work? That she did this on purpose? You need to put yourself in her shoes, just as others have put themselves in the shoes of the friends and families of Bibi and Mary. When did you come to the conclusion that you are fit to judge ANYONE in this tragedy? Out of curiousity, would you cross a busy road if you saw a car coming? Probably not. It was an error in judgment. And please post a comment when you have been blinded by sunlight and can see nothing of what's in front of you. EVERYONE is hurting here. I'm not taking up for either side. Be realistic about the situation.
April

Frederick, MD

#26 Feb 27, 2009
Not so shocked citizen wrote:
If a pedestrian walks in front of a car that does not have a chance to stop it is the pedestrian whose carelessness caused children to be left behind and a driver who now has to live with something she had no control over.
THANK YOU!!!! This is what needed to be said. Everyone is so quick to place blame on all involved. It was an accident. No intention of harm on either part. What about the God factor? Everyone has their time. And no one has any control over when it's time to go. Unfortuately, God wanted Bibi to join Him. And everything happens for a reason. Sadly, Ms. Rowland and Mary are to learn something from this. It is in His plan.
Need to know

Frederick, MD

#27 Feb 27, 2009
skt wrote:
Well we all know the truth is going to come out VERY soon it has been investigated and will be out in the public that it was definitely the driver's fault. She ran the read light and killed the 2 pedestrians. Look at the evidence!! This was a tragic accident that severly injured and killed bibi karpaiya and hopefully it'll remind people to slow down! It even opened up my eyes to that.
LOL! Then you must also know if OJ really did it!!! Please tell us! You must have a crystal ball.
Wow

Lorton, VA

#28 Feb 28, 2009
Soytinly wrote:
Dagg...This one has really brought out a batch of nut cases!
Yup starting with you...
skt

Lorton, VA

#29 Feb 28, 2009
I don't but the investigator does...wait and HEAR for yourself!!
NO WORDS

Hyattsville, MD

#30 Mar 16, 2009
mariemunk wrote:
I think no matter what the case may be I always think people who are walking always have the right away, and yes the sun be shining so bright, but we as drivers need to slow down when driving, and be more cautious about our vehicles. My friend died and left three children behind and I think the driver is responsible for the death of bibi and she should pay the consequences for her action and also if she was not speeding my friend wil still be here. So however, you see things Mrs. rowland is a reckless driver.
HOW IN GODS NAME CAN YOU MAKE SUCH A STATEMENT ABOUT A PERSON YOU DO NOT EVEN KNOW. I WOULD LIKE YOU TO PUT YOURSELF IN HER POSITION, SUPPOSE YOU WERE DRIVING THAT MORNING AND HIT HER AND SHE DIED, UNTIL YOU CAN WALK A MILE IN HER SHOES KEEP YOUR JUDGEMENT TO YOURSELF, AND I THOUGHT BIBI HAD 2 KIDS NOW IT IS 3? AMAZING HOW WELL YOU KNOW YOUR FRIEND. WHAT ABOUT THE PEDISTRIANS RESPONSIBILITY, IF THEY WERE JAY WALKING OR CROSSING AGAINST THE LIGHT DONT THEY HAVE TO TAKE RESPONSIBILITY FOR THEIR ACTIONS? OR IS IT TO BE ASSUMED BECAUSE IT WAS CAR VERSUS HUMAN THE CAR IS AUTOMATICALLY AT FAULT? BS
still in shock

Lorton, VA

#31 Mar 16, 2009
NO WORDS wrote:
<quoted text>
HOW IN GODS NAME CAN YOU MAKE SUCH A STATEMENT ABOUT A PERSON YOU DO NOT EVEN KNOW. I WOULD LIKE YOU TO PUT YOURSELF IN HER POSITION, SUPPOSE YOU WERE DRIVING THAT MORNING AND HIT HER AND SHE DIED, UNTIL YOU CAN WALK A MILE IN HER SHOES KEEP YOUR JUDGEMENT TO YOURSELF, AND I THOUGHT BIBI HAD 2 KIDS NOW IT IS 3? AMAZING HOW WELL YOU KNOW YOUR FRIEND. WHAT ABOUT THE PEDISTRIANS RESPONSIBILITY, IF THEY WERE JAY WALKING OR CROSSING AGAINST THE LIGHT DONT THEY HAVE TO TAKE RESPONSIBILITY FOR THEIR ACTIONS? OR IS IT TO BE ASSUMED BECAUSE IT WAS CAR VERSUS HUMAN THE CAR IS AUTOMATICALLY AT FAULT? BS
She has 3 kids...I know all 3!
Hello

Damascus, MD

#32 Jul 14, 2009
Anon

Silver Spring, MD

#33 Aug 29, 2009
I happen to know the driver, P. Rowland.
And I highly doubt for one second that she was speeding.
Theres NO WAY she would have backed up after this happened.
I'm sick of people on here just talking about her like she dosent feel any remorse.
I live in Laurel, and I drive 198 eastbound every morning at the exact time and since your traveling towards the sun, its very bright and almost impossible to see.
My heart goes out to the victims familys, but they shouldent have been walking accross the street, thats why theres crosswalks.
When your not intelligent b ad things can happen.
bibi friend

Lancaster, PA

#34 Nov 14, 2012
Accident wrote:
<quoted text>
The police report DOES NOT indicate in any manner that the driver backed up.
It doesnt but because we knew ppl that were there that told us what happened.. and fromt he police report thats what happened.
bibi friend

Lancaster, PA

#35 Nov 14, 2012
Anon wrote:
I happen to know the driver, P. Rowland.
And I highly doubt for one second that she was speeding.
Theres NO WAY she would have backed up after this happened.
I'm sick of people on here just talking about her like she dosent feel any remorse.
I live in Laurel, and I drive 198 eastbound every morning at the exact time and since your traveling towards the sun, its very bright and almost impossible to see.
My heart goes out to the victims familys, but they shouldent have been walking accross the street, thats why theres crosswalks.
When your not intelligent b ad things can happen.
Its funny how u defeanding the driver but u dont really know what happened.. then ur blaming them for walk across the road saying they should have been in the cross walk.. but u really dont even know if they were in the cross walk...then ur calling them unintelligent, maybe your friend should have slowed down if she couldnt see because of the sun.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Laurel Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Laurel, MD - what is it Really Like? (Jun '08) Oct 21 Belle 104
Follow me on Instagram (Jun '13) Oct 20 Saif_baksh 7
Principal at Dwight D Eisenhower punches kid in... Oct 6 HonestMarylander 2
Fort Meade Thrift Store???? (Sep '13) Sep '14 monlukk 5
Pregnant Walmart Worker Ends Up Fired After Wal... Sep '14 Frank Reynolds 2
Lights, camera, action for filming of pilot for... (Jan '09) Aug '14 Defamination of ... 41
Who do you support for U.S. House in Maryland (... (Oct '10) Jul '14 Tim the Bagger 7
Laurel Dating
Find my Match

Laurel Jobs

Laurel People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Laurel News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Laurel

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]