Neighbor Charged With Poisoning Famil...

Neighbor Charged With Poisoning Family Dog With Anti-Freeze

There are 254 comments on the WUSA Washington, DC story from Feb 8, 2007, titled Neighbor Charged With Poisoning Family Dog With Anti-Freeze. In it, WUSA Washington, DC reports that:

Some people love dogs, some people don't. But can you imagine someone who would poison one -- with anti-freeze? A Laurel man stands charged with animal cruelty in the death of his next door neighbor's dog.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WUSA Washington, DC.

Stephi

La Crosse, WI

#24 Feb 9, 2007
What a sick SOB! He should lose his cushy government job AND the retirement benefits, his house should be confiscated and sold and the proceeds given to the Humane Society and the family of the dogs he murdered and he should be put in jail for life and housed with some big, mean guys who love animals!!!
mjb

Falls Church, VA

#25 Feb 9, 2007
I know what it is like to live next door to a sadistic bum like this. You never feel safe in your yard--neither you nor your animals. This guy should get more than 3 years. Next it might be a person (like maybe a child who annoys him).
love animals

Gwynn Oak, MD

#26 Feb 9, 2007
Choked Up wrote:
I am not saying I agree with what transpired, but I work with someone whose neighbor has a dog that has barked for the past 2 years (ever since he moved in next door). My associate does not like animals to begin with, and to top it off, the dog barks constantly and ruins his time spent outside as he has to put up with the noise pollution from the barking. So I doubt Ms. Casella's dog was quiet all the time, and I doubt that the pet owner takes into consideration the amount of noise their animal emits. Again, not that I applaud or believe what was done was the correct thing to do, but it could be understandable why this guy did it.
There is NO excuse for doing what he did. Your way of possibly explaining the motive behind what he did is scary! I'm glad you're not my neighbor! What if you didn't like the "noise" my kids "emit" when they're outside playing and you decide to take them out?! Are you crazy?! Even if he didn't like the dog because it possibly barked too much, that doesn't give him the right to kill the dog. People need to learn that everything in life is not going to make them happy and GET THE HELL OVER IT!!! He could've moved if he was that bothered by an innocent animal!
Diane Mooney

AOL

#27 Feb 9, 2007
How can someone feel that this is their "right" to do? How is this in any way, shape or form justifiable, even in the confines of your own mind? It's truly sad that we become subject to someone else's whims, especially when the cost is so high.
Dennis

Washington, DC

#28 Feb 9, 2007
I'll bet the sorry piece of shit is a piss poor neighbor that cannot get along with anyone. A person that does what he did to a little defensely animal is capable of anything. I hope they put this sick bastard behind bars for the 3 years preferably in a cell with pit bulls as cellmates. With any luck, he will get what he deserves.
MD Law

Silver Spring, MD

#29 Feb 9, 2007
Death to the dog killer!
Aunt V

Silver Spring, MD

#30 Feb 9, 2007
What a sick, demented person to hurt a defenseless, innocent animal. I feel so bad for the McSweeney's. I sure hope the legal system is just in this case and they give the murderer the full punishment. He deserves even more.
Larry

Bethesda, MD

#31 Feb 9, 2007
I do not know the whole situation, but too many pet owners are irresponsible. They let thier dogs run and mess where ever they want with no consideration to other people living around them. I also own a dog and keep mine leashed and clean up after my dog.I do not condone what that man did but I understand. You rarily get any help from the local Animal Control with irresponsible dog owners. You do feel that you are left on your own because the local officials will do nothing about pet/owner problems. Maybe it is time for local officials to start handing out stiff fines to these types of pet owners, then maybe these types of situations will not happen in the future.
dog owner not a cat lover

Fairfax, VA

#33 Feb 9, 2007
I have 2 dogs that I keep in my fenced yard. My neighbors have cats that come to my flower bed for the cat box. I have not killed a cat. I can understand frustration regarding animals that are not kept under control but there is NO excuse to kill them!
Debbie

Washington, DC

#34 Feb 9, 2007
I am apalled at the outrageous behavior of this "thing"! He is not human. I am an avid animal lover and the owner of a rescued toy rat terrier, named Ebony. Animals are wonderful creatures and they are like part of the family. I cringe when I hear stories of animal abuse. My heart goes out to the family and this "thing" needs to be punished to the full extent of the law!
Sheri

Montgomery, AL

#35 Feb 9, 2007
Gary wrote:
I think this neighbor should do 20 years in prison..no parole and also have the picture of the murdered dog in the cell to gaze at daily. That, or just shoot him.
I agree!!! No one has the right to treat any living thing like that. I have 4 dogs and they are like my children. If someone were to poison one of them, I would probably go to jail for my next action.
Sheri

Montgomery, AL

#37 Feb 9, 2007
Linda Huntingtown MD wrote:
People who are cruel to any animals send me into a total rage!!! The jail terms and fines aren't anywhere near high enough. There is a reserved spot in HELL for this jerk and others like him, and I hope someone (either here or above) sends him on the trip soon so he can't hurt any more innocent pets.
I AGREE!!! They should serve the same time that they would for killing a person. Whether dog or person; it is still a living thing. Well said, Linda!
Wow

Annapolis, MD

#38 Feb 9, 2007
Lauren wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree, I put part of the blame to the owners, if their first dog died from the same situation wouldn't they have learned already?! Also if they don't liek their neighbors I would suspect that they wouldnt want their dogs running loose.But what teh man did should be sentenced for jail time. I am an animal lover myself and would want to see him suffer for what he did to a living creature. Yet, I also blame the pet owners for not taking care of their dogs as their children. Dogs are helpless and are not as smart as people adn need to be looked after.
Are you KIDDING me???! You people are sick. How could you possibly blame the victim, especially when you know nothing about the situation. Do you know where the bowls were? Do you know if they have a fenced yard? Do you even know what you're talking about? Do you own a dog and know what it feels like to lose one? Then you'd know why they wanted another dog after a first one died. They're going through a hard time blaming them is the sickest thing you could do.
Kathy McSweeney

Annapolis, MD

#39 Feb 9, 2007
I am Amy's owner, and while I appreciate most of the remarks made on here, I'd like to clarify a couple of points that maybe were not clear in the Channel 9 story.
While fences are not allowed in our neighborhood, we do have an electric fence so she would stay in our yard. She was never let out when no one was home, and was always called in immediately when/if she barked. However,she in fact, rarely barked. She was a very timid dog who would usually venture not more than three feet from the porch and then return.
The containers with the anti-freeze were placed on our property. While we suspected something like this with our last dog, we had no proof, and I personally couldn't really believe that anyone would actually be this evil. When the vet asked if Amy could have injested anything poisonous, we felt terribly guilty and searched our house and garage to see if there could have possibly been anything we were inadvertently doing to make our dogs sick. And yes, we did feel guilty once we found the evidence and realized we had subjected her to this, but again, I had just not been able to let myself believe that someone was that cruel. I don't know if I was too naive or too optimistic about the basic goodness of human nature. Amy was very much a part of our family and very loved. We adopted her at 8 weeks from a rescue organization. For the first six months, I came home from work everyday at lunchtime to let her out. She slept in bed with my daughter every night, and she is sorely missed.
Thanks again for all the positive comments. It is heartwarming to see them. It lets one believe again in the basic goodness of most people.
Anna

Lorton, VA

#40 Feb 9, 2007
I wish he could get life imprisonment. My heart goes out to Amy's family. Oh, and, by the way, who wants to hear a killer's "side of the story." Give us all a break!
H WHITE

Chicago, IL

#41 Feb 9, 2007
he better be glad he does not live next door to me....he is the kind of person the neighborhood should take a tasking too....he is nothing but a big pile of sh....!!!
i would take that anti-freeze and pour it down his throat.... and then call 911 for assistance....after i watch him squirm like he made that poor dog do...
HE IS A BUM!!! RUN HIM OUT OF THE NEIGHBORHOOD...IF YOU DO THAT TO A DOG YOU HAVE THE ABILITY TO DO THAT TO HUMAN BEINGS.....HE IS NOT TO BE TRUSTED...HE HAS A SERIOUS CHARACTER FLAW....STAY OUT MY NEIGHBORHOOD YOU BUM!!!
H WHITE

Chicago, IL

#42 Feb 9, 2007
HE WOULD NOT LIVE NEXT DOOR TO ME....HE WOULD HAVE TO GET A RESTRAINING ORDER....AGAINST ME...BECAUSE I WOULD WHOOP HIS ASSS...EVERYTIME I SAW HIM... AND WOULD DO IT WITH A BIG OLD SMILE ON MY FACE...
Askgees

Bristow, VA

#43 Feb 9, 2007
Burn down his house, run him off.
azmensan

Purcellville, VA

#44 Feb 9, 2007
Kathy McSweeney wrote:
I am Amy's owner, and while I appreciate most of the remarks made on here, I'd like to clarify a couple of points that maybe were not clear in the Channel 9 story.
While fences are not allowed in our neighborhood, we do have an electric fence so she would stay in our yard. She was never let out when no one was home, and was always called in immediately when/if she barked. However,she in fact, rarely barked. She was a very timid dog who would usually venture not more than three feet from the porch and then return.
The containers with the anti-freeze were placed on our property. While we suspected something like this with our last dog, we had no proof, and I personally couldn't really believe that anyone would actually be this evil. When the vet asked if Amy could have injested anything poisonous, we felt terribly guilty and searched our house and garage to see if there could have possibly been anything we were inadvertently doing to make our dogs sick. And yes, we did feel guilty once we found the evidence and realized we had subjected her to this, but again, I had just not been able to let myself believe that someone was that cruel. I don't know if I was too naive or too optimistic about the basic goodness of human nature. Amy was very much a part of our family and very loved. We adopted her at 8 weeks from a rescue organization. For the first six months, I came home from work everyday at lunchtime to let her out. She slept in bed with my daughter every night, and she is sorely missed.
Thanks again for all the positive comments. It is heartwarming to see them. It lets one believe again in the basic goodness of most people.
Kathy - as a dachsund owner, I completely believe you about the timidity. They don't typically bark unless truly provoked (I have a neighbor who used to provoke her until I set him straight rather harshly). You and your family have my total heart, my prayers are with you. You poor, poor, folks. I am so, so sorry.
bob

Bowie, MD

#46 Feb 9, 2007
what kind of mutha f#*$n person could do a f@%$n thing like that

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Laurel Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Laurel, MD - what is it Really Like? (Jun '08) May 13 Robert 114
News Lights, camera, action for filming of pilot for... (Jan '09) Apr 26 John 63
What happen on contee rd last night? (Jun '08) Mar '17 Angeli lowery 13
If anyone knows the kids parents Tracey Armah b... (Jul '16) Feb '17 Gdjwm 3
News Former Md. county executive released from prison Jan '17 Robert Walton 1
News Trump D.C. Hotel Contractors Say They're Owed M... Jan '17 This is a Pattern 1
Is the area safe? Jan '17 billybob 1

Laurel Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Laurel Mortgages