People Turning To Pawn Shops To Fill Gaps Between Paychecks - N...

Many people in the D.C. area who are having a tough time making ends meet are turning to pawn shops to make some quick cash. Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
YouHelpFixIt

Catonsville, MD

#21 Jun 23, 2008
I smoke weed in the pawn shops. In fact they sell weed to all the highschool kids at the pawn shop.
Victim

Bethesda, MD

#22 Aug 22, 2008
We will see if the stolen items are returned. I had items stolen from my vehicle last night and they are now on eBay, listed by a Pawn Shop. I do not know the laws, but they obviously did not do a "grace period" to see if the goods were stolen.

The detective working on the case has been notified. Let's see if I get my property back...
Washington DC

Suitland, MD

#23 Aug 22, 2008
Victim wrote:
We will see if the stolen items are returned. I had items stolen from my vehicle last night and they are now on eBay, listed by a Pawn Shop. I do not know the laws, but they obviously did not do a "grace period" to see if the goods were stolen.
The detective working on the case has been notified. Let's see if I get my property back...
Thats the story mo hearing all the time about pawn shops.
just a country girl

United States

#24 Sep 1, 2008
well ill be the first to tell every one, im not against pawning any thing, but yes you will loos in the long run if you keep going back to the pawn shop. but if our giverment would send some of theas ill leagal imagrant back where thay came from give us our rights back we wouldnt have to do all this, thire would be plenty of work and paydays, and stop hiking every thing up so high ror us poor folks to have to give. give to the off the waal who knows.
Pawn Dog

Oxnard, CA

#25 Sep 20, 2008
YouHelpFixIt wrote:
I smoke weed in the pawn shops. In fact they sell weed to all the highschool kids at the pawn shop.
I think you're smoking TOO much weed....Pawn shops are very heavily regulated by law enforcement, and must go through extensive background checks & have a clean record to even get a pawnbroker licence.
texasraised

San Antonio, TX

#26 Dec 8, 2008
is there a place where i can get a history of the things i've pawned?
James G

Dallas, TX

#27 Jan 12, 2009
Washington DC wrote:
<quoted text>
More educated? What are your talking about? It is a well known fact that pawn shops take stolen goods all the time. And only if the stolen goods are reported and researched in suspected pawn shop records by a detective/MPD may the items be returned to a victom.
Were did you get your information movies or tv give me a break. There is more to it than all of that, there are business men, housewives, city workers people from all classes pawning are they thieves you are insulting hard working people who just need to get by who can't just get a loan in these hard times.
IloveNikki

Suitland, MD

#28 Jan 12, 2009
I love going to the pawn shop, you can get some great buys there. I got a gorgeous diamond ring there a few yrs ago for under 200.00 and my husband got a digital camera/recorder valued at 450.00 for 150.00

They have some great stuff especially the "Famous pawnshops"
phineas

Columbia, MD

#29 Jan 12, 2009
Washington DC wrote:
Many if not all of these pawned items are stolen property.
Maybe that's true in DC for certain reasons, but I have in the past been forced to pawn my personal things for a pittance out of sheer need -
PAWN SHOP FACTS

United States

#30 Feb 13, 2010
1. Pawn shops won't take what won't sell. A "tv from the seventies" won't get through my door.
2. Every item we take goes on a police database at night, if anything IS stolen,(not the general case) it gets recovered almost immediately. Our industry is so well regulated that if we tried to make a business off stolen items, the state would refuse license and close our doors instantly.
3. Everyone hates a pawn shop until they need one.
4. Pawn shops in my area have lower percentage loans than most credit cards and we don't effect your credit rating.
and one opinion: Everyone hates pawnbrokers until they meet a good one, like me, who saves their family by loaning or buying items they can't afford.
Not a Country boy

Alexandria, VA

#31 Nov 4, 2010
just a country girl wrote:
well ill be the first to tell every one, im not against pawning any thing, but yes you will loos in the long run if you keep going back to the pawn shop. but if our giverment would send some of theas ill leagal imagrant back where thay came from give us our rights back we wouldnt have to do all this, thire would be plenty of work and paydays, and stop hiking every thing up so high ror us poor folks to have to give. give to the off the waal who knows.
Wow, please learn some English and get a f***ing education before you complain against america's immigration issues. You are lucky to be living in a country where education is free.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Laurel Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Follow me on Instagram (Jun '13) Nov 20 claire 10
Lights, camera, action for filming of pilot for... (Jan '09) Nov 11 Ash123 43
Principal at Dwight D Eisenhower punches kid in... Oct 30 Anonymous 3
Mars Orbiter's spectrometer shows Oort comet's ... Oct 27 Adrian Godsafe MSc 1
Laurel, MD - what is it Really Like? (Jun '08) Oct '14 Belle 104
Fort Meade Thrift Store???? (Sep '13) Sep '14 monlukk 5
Pregnant Walmart Worker Ends Up Fired After Wal... Sep '14 Frank Reynolds 2
Laurel Dating
Find my Match

Laurel People Search