Still life: Trail to bootleg history

Full story: Orlando Sentinel

Tracy Curenton never thought a hiking trail she had blazed into the woods behind the family's home would lead to an historic discovery.

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 4 of4
Rae

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 28, 2007

My Great Grandfather was a revenuer. He was killed during the prohibition in a shoot out with a still operator. He had a reputation in the Appalachian Mountains and was nicknamed the "boogie man Day"
justice

Maitland, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 28, 2007

Now if we could only legalize marijuana maybe our police would have a chance to catch all these damn murderers and child molesters...
Tommy T

Winter Haven, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 28, 2007

My first alcoholic drink I was ever offered was as an 8 yoa. It was moonshine by my grandfather. My dad ran the stuff in Alabama during the 40-50's as extra income, but my mom aways hated it and the potential problem it brought. It was around growing up in the panhandle and I would find it every now and then hidden somewhere. Never cared for the stuff.... It was kinda ironic I guess... My first job in law enforcement was as a State "revenuer". Although most of it had gone away by then, my knowledge of the history and practice helped out on occassion. Some people never really understod it. Some people in here try to equate it to the same thing as marijuana. I do not recall home invasion robberies to take a still. Moonshine is whisky.... The South was settled by a lot of Irish and Scotsman.... Try keeping their whisky from them. Hard to do, even in prohibition... Gangs and crime followed. People say making it illegal caused the crime... No it just caused a new crime. When prohibition was lifted, the crime still stayed.... Just like it would for pot....

The mindset and family lineage that brought moonshining to the panhandle has not gone away.... They now are into meth, but alas, I guess we should just legalize that also huh?
HomeGirl

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 28, 2007

ARREST BEARY wrote:
"Every time a new sheriff was elected, he'd raid a bunch of stills until he'd get paid off," Martha Rogers. "Then the raid would taper off until the next sheriff was elected."
sounds like orange county sheriff kevin beary
Rogues. The streets are still filled with them.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 4 of4
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Laurel Hill Discussions

Search the Laurel Hill Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
FL 2010 Florida Governor Race Election Results a "... (Nov '10) 8 hr number 23 2,915
EDITORIAL: Pulling OCT out by its routes 11 hr david underwood 1
You can help to feed the homeless Jul 5 AlanG 1
Yard Sale (Feb '06) Jul 5 Big Bad Burger Boy 6
Debate: Marijuana - Crestview, FL (Aug '10) Jul 4 God 36
Any rumors of new restaurants, stores anything ... (Jul '10) Jun '14 Kevin Faust 69
Review: Cosco & Assoc May '14 Billy Davis 1
•••
•••
•••
•••

Laurel Hill Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Laurel Hill People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE