Growing up in Mamaroneck

Posted in the Lattingtown Forum

First Prev
of 18
Next Last
Unasolos4life

AOL

#1 Jan 7, 2006
Hello,My name is Dawn & I grew up in Mamroneck on Florence strret. I had a great time thier.I talk about the child hood memorys with my children all the time... I would love to someday know what happend to some of the kids that I went to school with.
tony gonzalez

Spartanburg, SC

#2 Nov 14, 2006
i also grew up in mamaroneck, the flats. i'am 72 now . left mamar'k in 1957, move to new rochelle,from n.r to fl. in 1973.i still think about mama'k,and walters hot dogs.my teen age life was in mama'k.i was always down at the harbor island were i spent my summer days. with my friends.
JOHN MCINTYRE

AOL

#3 Mar 8, 2007
tony gonzalez wrote:
i also grew up in mamaroneck, the flats. i'am 72 now . left mamar'k in 1957, move to new rochelle,from n.r to fl. in 1973.i still think about mama'k,and walters hot dogs.my teen age life was in mama'k.i was always down at the harbor island were i spent my summer days. with my friends.
HI TONY I THINK I KNOW YOU. I AM ALMOST 70 YO AND LIVED ON DELANCEY AVE. WHERE DID YOU HANG OUT IN MAMARONECK AND WHO DID YOU HANG OUT WITH. WOULD LOVE TO HEAR FROM YOU.
JOHN MCINTYRE

AOL

#4 Apr 19, 2007
WOULD ANYONE LIKE TO CORRESPOND ON THIS SITE. I HAVE VERY FOND MEMORIES OF MAMARONECK AS I WAS BORN AND GREW UP IN MAMAMRONECK. I NOW LIVE IN FISHKILL, NY WHICH IS IN DUTCHESS COUNTY.I ATTENDED MAMARONECK H.S.AND GRADUATED IN 1956.WAS IN THE MILITARY,GRADUATED FROM COLLEGE AND I AM NOW RETIRED.I LIVED ON DELANCEY AVE IN MAMARONECK IN A HOME THAT WAS RECENTLY TORN DOWN TO MAKE ROOM FOR CONDOS.
Been There

AOL

#5 May 18, 2007
John:
I am from Mount Vernon but lived in
Mamaroneck in the 1970s on Jensen Ave.
Our children attended Elementary school
at Bellows School and played in Florence
Park. Spent many a day at Harbor Island,
enjoyed the Fireman's parade and the carnival. I now live about 3 miles from
you on Rt 9. It seems everyone is moving
up here and the traffic is worse than
Westchester. One of my enjoyments here
is going to AllSport. Wouldn't be something if you are a member and we have
been ships passing the club?
How do you like living in Fishkill-really
a different atmosphere entirely from what
we have known-don't you agree. I really
miss the waterfront. Also lived many years
in New Rochelle-not far from Hudson Park.
Would love to hear from you and compare
notes - My wife and I are in our 60s. We
have two sons-one in Mamaroneck and one
across the river in Warwick.
Island Man

AOL

#6 May 21, 2007
I used to live in Mamaroneck in the 70's and I have many fond memories of that
quaint little hamlet. I since have moved on but carry a special place in my heart for it. Is it still the same as then?
JOHN MCINTYRE

AOL

#7 Jun 4, 2007
HI,
I KNOW VERY WELL WHERE JENSEN AVE. IS. I DO NOT BELONG TO ALL SPORT BUT WAS THINKING OF JOINING.I REALLY LIKE IT UP HERE AND DO NOT MISS MAMARONECK AT ALL EVEN THOUGH I WAS BORN AND RAISED IN MAMARONECK.WAS DOWN IN MAMARONECK A FEW MONTHS AGO AND NATURALLY STOPPED AT WALTERS FOR A HOT DOG. I HAVE BEEN UP HERE FOR 12 YEARS BUT STILL CONSIDERED A WOOD CHUCK.WRITE ME IF YOU GET THIS MESSAGE.
Been There

AOL

#8 Jun 20, 2007
Hi,
Good to here from you John. I haven't looked
at this sight for over a month will have to
tune in more often. I always liked Walters
hot dogs. Do you remember the House of Light
-I worked there for a while and how about Brewers Hdwe. What is a WOOD CHUCK?
How do you keep busy in Fishkill ?
I Have retired and my name is Pat.
Maybe I'll see you around someday.
john mcintyre

AOL

#9 Jun 22, 2007
HI PAT,
YES I REMEMBER THE HOUSE OF LIGHTS WHICH WAS ON THE POST ROAD IN THE RYE NECK SECTION OF THE VILLAGE. I KNEW A VICTOR VILARDI WHO WORKED THERE FOR A LONG TIME. AT BREWERS I KNEW BILL IANERELLI, AL LARSON AND A FEW OTHER PEOPLE. LOVED THOSE WALTER'S HOT DOGS AS I ATE THEM FOR MANY YEARS AND STOP AT WALTERS WHENEVER I AM IN MAMARONECK. THE TERM "WOODCHUCK" IS USED WHEN YOU MOVE TO ANOTHER AREA AND HAVENT QUITE FIT IN YET. I WORK +AS A VOLUNTEER OMBUDSMAN FOR NY STATE IN AREA NURSING HOMES MAKING SURE NO ABUSE ETC. TAKES PLACE.I AM ALSO RETIRED AFTER WORKING FOR A LARGE COMPANY AND GLAD I AM RETIRED. HOPE TO SEE YOUM AROUND SOME DAY AS WE COULD CERTAINLY SHOOT THE BREEZE ABOUT MAMARONECK.
Been There

AOL

#10 Jul 10, 2007
I still wonder were the term actually comes from(wood chuck)?
By any chance do you remember an old time
softball pitcher named Rush Riley ? He was
from Pelham and pitched in the 40's-50's and
60's. Next to the king and his court(Eddie
Feigner) he was the best I ever saw. He used
to pitch in Hutch field in Mt. Vernon and I
think also in Mamaroneck.
JOHN MCINTYRE

AOL

#11 Jul 11, 2007
Been There wrote:
I still wonder were the term actually comes from(wood chuck)?
By any chance do you remember an old time
softball pitcher named Rush Riley ? He was
from Pelham and pitched in the 40's-50's and
60's. Next to the king and his court(Eddie
Feigner) he was the best I ever saw. He used
to pitch in Hutch field in Mt. Vernon and I
think also in Mamaroneck.

REMEMBER RUSH RILEY AND FEIGNER WHO WERE ALSO THE BEST SOFTBALL PITCHERS I HAVE EVER SEEN. I KNOW A GUY WHO GOT A HIT OFF FEIGNER IN THE LATE FIFTIES BUT THAT WAS BY ACCIDENT AS HE WAS PULLING HIS BAT BACK TRYING TO GET A WALK. WE WILL HAVE TO GET TOGETHER SOME DAY TO DISCUSS THE OLD DAYS.
Been There

AOL

#12 Jul 12, 2007
Hi Bill,
I worked with a guy who got a foul tip off of
Feigner and he still brags about it. I saw THE
KING in the 50s' and early 60s' at Memorial
Field in Mt. Vernon. Rush died Last year as did
Feigner. Very interesting obits on both of them. Where did you see Riley pitch? I have
heard he is in the Westchester Hall of Fame
for softball pitchers but I can't find anything
on the Web.

“It's a Brand New Day”

Since: Feb 06

New Rochelle

#13 Jul 13, 2007
john mcintyre wrote:
HI PAT,
YES I REMEMBER THE HOUSE OF LIGHTS WHICH WAS ON THE POST ROAD IN THE RYE NECK SECTION OF THE VILLAGE. I KNEW A VICTOR VILARDI WHO WORKED THERE FOR A LONG TIME. AT BREWERS I KNEW BILL IANERELLI, AL LARSON AND A FEW OTHER PEOPLE. LOVED THOSE WALTER'S HOT DOGS AS I ATE THEM FOR MANY YEARS AND STOP AT WALTERS WHENEVER I AM IN MAMARONECK. THE TERM "WOODCHUCK" IS USED WHEN YOU MOVE TO ANOTHER AREA AND HAVENT QUITE FIT IN YET. I WORK +AS A VOLUNTEER OMBUDSMAN FOR NY STATE IN AREA NURSING HOMES MAKING SURE NO ABUSE ETC. TAKES PLACE.I AM ALSO RETIRED AFTER WORKING FOR A LARGE COMPANY AND GLAD I AM RETIRED. HOPE TO SEE YOUM AROUND SOME DAY AS WE COULD CERTAINLY SHOOT THE BREEZE ABOUT MAMARONECK.
Yeah. Everybod knows about Walters, but I miss FIDO's. Who remembers FIDO's? Great hot dogs, across from the harbor, and fire plugs all around.

Also, in the past few years, Maguires and Cooks have been knocked down. The Coach & Four is an exercise joint, and Donaghy's is a Gynocological clinic. And, speaking of the old days, the bowling allys by town hall, and by Larchmont train station are long ago memories, as is Loyal Inn. House of Pancakes is still there.(IHOP)

But, most of all I miss THE BEVAN.

Bill from New Rochelle.
Been There

AOL

#14 Jul 13, 2007
Hi Bill:
The name FIDOS intrigues me-although I lived
in Mamaroneck for a number of years and also
worked their, I cannot place this eatery.
Exactly what relationship was its location to
the harbor and what time period are you referring to?
The other places I know very well and on my
promenades in Larchmont I enjoyed the Bevan
and the streets surrounding it. Spent many
a pleasant time at Manor Park and looking at
Jean Kerrs beautiful house to the left of
the entrance. This was a great place for
me to ride my bike especially on a Fall or
Spring day.
Spent many a time at the old bowling alley
in Mamaroneck across from the library-these
places are getting as rare as hens teeth.
A time and place gone forever.
Been There

AOL

#15 Jul 13, 2007
JOHN MCINTYRE wrote:
<quoted text>
REMEMBER RUSH RILEY AND FEIGNER WHO WERE ALSO THE BEST SOFTBALL PITCHERS I HAVE EVER SEEN. I KNOW A GUY WHO GOT A HIT OFF FEIGNER IN THE LATE FIFTIES BUT THAT WAS BY ACCIDENT AS HE WAS PULLING HIS BAT BACK TRYING TO GET A WALK. WE WILL HAVE TO GET TOGETHER SOME DAY TO DISCUSS THE OLD DAYS.
Sorry John
I answered and addressed you as Bill ha! ha! but we are all just one happy family here so no harm no foul!
Thanks for your interesting remembrance.

“It's a Brand New Day”

Since: Feb 06

New Rochelle

#16 Jul 14, 2007
Been There wrote:
Hi Bill:
The name FIDOS intrigues me-although I lived
in Mamaroneck for a number of years and also
worked their, I cannot place this eatery.
Exactly what relationship was its location to
the harbor and what time period are you referring to?
The other places I know very well and on my
promenades in Larchmont I enjoyed the Bevan
and the streets surrounding it. Spent many
a pleasant time at Manor Park and looking at
Jean Kerrs beautiful house to the left of
the entrance. This was a great place for
me to ride my bike especially on a Fall or
Spring day.
Spent many a time at the old bowling alley
in Mamaroneck across from the library-these
places are getting as rare as hens teeth.
A time and place gone forever.
Talking late '60's and 70's.

Fido's was an enclosed food stand that specialized in Hot Dogs. I enjoy Walters, of course, but prefer a firmer, spicier dog from Fido's. Kind of like Sabrettes.

Fifo's was on W. Boston Post Rd., between Fenimore and Delancy. It was very close to Maguire's and across and down from Washington Arms (two more great, defunct, restaurants.)

I fogot to mention Harry's Sautuce, Pancho Villa's, and my favorite, Town House on Mamaroneck Ave.

Just so that you know, there has been a great rennaisance in good restaurants in New Rochelle, a new, good restaurant opens every week. It's great!

Please Don't Eat The Daisys.
JOHN MCINTYRE

AOL

#17 Jul 15, 2007
I GREW UP RIGHT AROUND THE CORNER FROM FIDO'S ON THE FIRST HOUSE ON DELANCEY AVE. WHICH HAS RECENTLY BEEN TORN DOWN FOR CONDOS. I LOVED FIDO'S HOT DOGS AS THEY WERE BIG AND CRUNCHY AND YOU COULD PUT ON MELTED CHEESE, ONIONS. CHILI ETC. ON YOUR DOG. THE OWNERS WERE DONINICK AND MARY WHO COMMUTED EVERY DAY FROM THE BRONX. AT THIS SAME LOCATION WAS A RESTAURANT CALLED THE RED CIRCLE WHICH WAS TORN DOWN FOR FIDO'S. AFTER DOMINICK AND MARY A PERSON BY THE NAME OF JOE MARINO TOOK OVER BUT THE HOT DOGS WERE NEVER THE SAME.

I REALLY MISS THE OLD FIDO'S AND HAVENT FOUND A HOT DOG THAT COMPARES TO IT.WALTER'S HOT DOGE ARE STILL GREAT BUT COMPARING THEM TO FIDO'S ARE LIKE COMPARING APPLES AND ORANGES. ALSO ATE IN THE TOWNE HOUSE ON MANY OCCASIONS AND YEARS AGO HAD MY FIRST FROG LEGS. "BEEN THERE" HAS WRITTEN ABOUT THE BEVAN HOTEL IN LARCHMONT MANOR. SPENT MANY A TIME AT THE BEVAN HOTEL BAR WAY BACK WHEN.MANOR PARK ACROSS THE STREET WAS A BEAUTIFUL PARK ALONG LONG ISLAND SOUND. ALTHOUGH GROWING UP IN MAMARONECK I SPENT A LOT OF TIME IN NEW ROCHELLE WHEN THEY HAD THE 3 MOVIE HOUSES ON MAIN STREET AND USED TO HANG OUT AT THE MAYFLOWER COFFEE SHOP ACROSS THE STREET FROM BLESSED SACRAMENT H.S. MISS THE GOOD OLD DAYS FROM THE LARCHMONT, MAMARONECK AND NEW ROCHELLE AREAS AS THEY WERE VERY PLEASANT AREAS TO GROW UP IN."BEEN THERE" HAS WRITTEN ME AND HAS INFORMED ME THAT HE ONLY LIVES 3 MILES FROM ME IN FISHKILL, NY BUT WE HAVE NEVER MET. KEEP ON WRITING AND I WILL CERTAINLY WRITE BACK A I REALLY ENJOY THE NOSTALGIA.
Been There

AOL

#18 Jul 15, 2007
Hi Bill and John:
Our discussions are opening a whole line of memories.
The mention of the Mayflower Cafe on Center Ave in
New Rochelle brings to mind the sign that hung in their window---"Keep your eye on the donut and not on
the hole" as I watched the donuts go around and around
in the window. The donuts were great. This brings to
mind many different places on old Main St. in New Rochelle(or as they say now - New Roc--yuck!). Did either of you visit the old Ice Cream Parlor across the street from the Town Theater? How about the Old Ship Ahoy on Division where all the action was for us younguns in in the 60s? Did either of you ever go into Gopos Deli on Center Ave on the block just before the Mayflower? The biggest and best wedges I ever had and at a very good price. After Gopo died it went downhill. Bill-do you remember Delpontes on North Ave on the corner of Lawn Ave.? And Goffmans deli down the block and across the street? But one of my best memories especially at Christmas time was the Main St book store which in the sixties was owned by an older gentleman with his cat always on the counter or in the window. Some people have great affection
for Andersons in Larchmont but for me it was the Main St bookstore in NR.
I also frequented all the main street theaters but also enjoyed the Larchmont Theater and the Pelham
playhouse.Certain great movies of the 70s and 80s are always identified in my mind by the particular theater I saw them in.
Is Pancho Villa in Larchmont or is it
Viva Zapata because I know there was and may still be
a Mexican retaurant in Pelham and I get the two names
confused with their locations.
And Dudleys at the entrance to Hudson Park where you ate over the water with all the boats anchored-- I can taste the clams and french fries almost. Not to mention the grand poobah of them all -GREASY NICKS!
If I miss anything at all about living in the Sound
Shore Area it is exactly that -the sound's shore and
everything that encompasses it. The spring was wonderful and the fall was indescribable. I could go on and on but I will sign off as my candle is burning
low. PAT
Kayak-Kaity

Butler, NJ

#19 Sep 1, 2007
I grew up right here in Dutchess, but I enjoy hearing your stories about an area I never knew existed before! Keep the chain of memories going!
JOHN MCINTYRE

AOL

#20 Sep 2, 2007
HI KAYAK KAITY,
THIS IS REALLY IRONIC. HERE WE ARE TALKING ABOUT THE MAMARONECK AREA WHEN KAYAK KAITY COMES ON AND BELEIVE IT OR NOT I MET KAYAK KAITY FOR THE FIRST TIME LAST JULY IN A LOCAL RESTAURANT IN FISHKILL,N.Y. WHAT A SMALL WORLD.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 18
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Lattingtown Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Port Chester to Receive Federal Funding to Expa... Dec 12 Leachmark707 1
Sea Cliff Birthdays (Jun '10) Dec 8 Maude 7
Sea Cliff Woman Arrested for Falsely Reporting ... (Feb '12) Dec 8 Joe Krupinski 40
Review: I Love Kickboxing - Carle Place (Nov '13) Dec 4 Mesha Nicole 9
Review: I Love Kickboxing - Glen Cove (Feb '14) Dec 1 Rtenembaum 21
Letter: Save the Trees Nov 26 Joe Krupinski 1
Police Identify Teenagers Involved In Fatal Car... Nov 24 not 1
Lattingtown Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Lattingtown People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Lattingtown News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Lattingtown

Personal Finance