Is the brewery closing

Posted in the Latrobe Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Laverne

Pittsburgh, PA

#1 Sep 8, 2011
I heard from a councilman that the brewery wasn't going to be here long, but "you didn't hear it from me" Does anyone know if there is any truth to this?
Drunkard

Pittsburgh, PA

#2 Sep 8, 2011
No the brewery ain't closing no time soon. we keep drinkin they keep brewing
BrewDude

Pittsburgh, PA

#3 Sep 9, 2011
Nope, The brewery won't be closing anytime soon. How would a councilman know anyway? If the brewery were closing why would anyone tell them?

Any of the rumors that are spread are by union people who don't have ANY clue.
Say What

Pittsburgh, PA

#4 Sep 9, 2011
BrewDude wrote:
Nope, The brewery won't be closing anytime soon. How would a councilman know anyway? If the brewery were closing why would anyone tell them?
Any of the rumors that are spread are by union people who don't have ANY clue.
So you must be a company man that knows it all?
Union

Pittsburgh, PA

#5 Sep 10, 2011
Shut her down! We'll show you company man! You can't close the brewery, that's our specialty!
Dont Know

Greensburg, PA

#6 Sep 11, 2011
Didn't they just buy that old Coors plant in Tennessee? Two to three times the size with much more room to grow? I don't know, sounds fishy to me.
leroy

United States

#7 Sep 12, 2011
Dont Know wrote:
Didn't they just buy that old Coors plant in Tennessee? Two to three times the size with much more room to grow? I don't know, sounds fishy to me.
So youre saying maybe we DRANK TOO MUCH?!?
BeerHere

Pittsburgh, PA

#8 Sep 19, 2011
Dont Know wrote:
The NON UNION plant in Tennessee???? Yes, they did buy that NON UNION plant and should make a lot of beer there without a union to deal with.
Pubs

Pittsburgh, PA

#9 Oct 4, 2011
If the brewery stays union free, it should be open for a long time. Unlike the old employees who bragged about the big money they made for not working. Then whinned about the place closing and blaming it on corporate greed.
LOK

Pittsburgh, PA

#10 Oct 4, 2011
Pubs wrote:
If the brewery stays union free, it should be open for a long time. Unlike the old employees who bragged about the big money they made for not working. Then whinned about the place closing and blaming it on corporate greed.
Truer words have never been spoken.(Can hear the QQ coming.)
Deja vu

Irwin, PA

#11 Oct 4, 2011
LOK wrote:
<quoted text>Truer words have never been spoken.(Can hear the QQ coming.)
Not again.Tell us about mommy again!!!!!!!!!!
Redneck

Latrobe, PA

#12 Oct 5, 2011
Pubs wrote:
The brewery made money for every owner it had. The workers made good money and benefits, and the owners from the Titos to Interbrew made money. Like everywhere else, it had its good workers and bad ones, just like it had both good and bad management. But it still made money. It just didn't make as much money as a domestic beer compared to imported beer.

The last owners sold it out for the shelf space it had at retailers and wholesalers and made some money for the brand and brew recipe. It closed not because it didn't make money; it closed because it ddn't make enough money. That's globalization.

And yes, it was corporate greed; not union wages. But go ahead and kiss the asses of multi-billionaires while degrading working people. Maybe the gods will roll you a crumb from their table for being a good little boy. It's pretty obvious that you've had quite enough of their KoolAid.

Since: Jan 11

#13 Oct 5, 2011
Redneck wrote:
The brewery made money for every owner it had. The workers made good money and benefits, and the owners from the Titos to Interbrew made money. Like everywhere else, it had its good workers and bad ones, just like it had both good and bad management. But it still made money.
But, of course, since it was privately owned, you don't really know that. In fact, you have absolutely no idea. I suppose you just assume that because they kept the doors open that it made money. That's often far from being the case. I imagine profit rose and fell with both the economy and terms of union contracts, as well as other factors, such as the cost of fuel for trucks and the cost of barley and hops.
It just didn't make as much money as a domestic beer compared to imported beer.
Not sure what that means. Are you assuming that a beer with a $9 per six pack price makes more money than one with a $6 price? It doesn't work that way. Maybe at the retail end of the supply chain, but certainly not for a producer.
The last owners sold it out for the shelf space it had at retailers and wholesalers and made some money for the brand and brew recipe.
In other words: they sold the brand.
It closed not because it didn't make money; it closed because it ddn't make enough money. That's globalization. And yes, it was corporate greed; not union wages.
By "it" I assume you mean the brewery. It's simply a matter of economy of scale. There's no reason to keep a 50k barrel/year (no idea if this figure is close) brewery running when you can produce the exact same beer in a brewery that is capable of producing 1M barrels per year. Of course it's going to be more profitable to produce at the larger, more automated brewery.

Attributing such a decision to corporate greed is na´ve, at best.
LOK

Pittsburgh, PA

#14 Oct 5, 2011
Deja vu wrote:
<quoted text>Not again.Tell us about mommy again!!!!!!!!!!
QQ (told yah!)
Deja vu

Burgettstown, PA

#15 Oct 5, 2011
LOK wrote:
<quoted text> QQ (told yah!)
Here it goes again.(BET YAH!!!!!!!!!!
LOK

Pittsburgh, PA

#16 Oct 5, 2011
Deja vu wrote:
<quoted text>Here it goes again.(BET YAH!!!!!!!!!!
Nope I am done. No one can teach anyone here anything new. Too many know it alls.
Deja vu

Pittsburgh, PA

#17 Oct 5, 2011
LOK wrote:
<quoted text>Nope I am done. No one can teach anyone here anything new. Too many know it alls.
Still on the company time & computer.Very productive.
Pubs

New Castle, PA

#18 Oct 6, 2011
Redneck I would like to meet you in person! Are you sure your real name isn' Clifford Clavin? There isn't a topic on this site that you are not an expert in. Are you an oracle? I guess I don't have to tell you who I am or where I would like to meet you, because you already know all that, you know everything!!!!!
LOK

Pittsburgh, PA

#19 Oct 6, 2011
Pubs wrote:
Redneck I would like to meet you in person! Are you sure your real name isn' Clifford Clavin? There isn't a topic on this site that you are not an expert in. Are you an oracle? I guess I don't have to tell you who I am or where I would like to meet you, because you already know all that, you know everything!!!!!
I think you have the wrong guy, Redneck is the Oracle but he never claims to know everything. He is wise and very old though.
Redneck

Latrobe, PA

#20 Oct 6, 2011
Pubs wrote:
Now you're showing some signs of intelligence and comprehension. I'd thank you for the compliments, but I have to consider the source.

Cliff Clavin was my mentor and hero. He knew the only way to deal with some people was to go to a bar and get numb.

Cheers.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Latrobe Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
PA Who do you support for U.S. Senate in Pennsylva... (Oct '10) 2 hr justhefacts 4,018
PA Who do you support for Governor in Pennsylvania... (Oct '10) 5 hr Armpitsylvania 51,523
Whitney driver charged in fatal DUI (Jul '12) 5 hr sorry so lengthy 342
Tuition Free 11 hr Virgina 3
Flat headed Moron 17 hr Marble Eyes 15
PA Who do you support for Lieutenant Governor in P... (Oct '10) 23 hr R Nixon 186
Everyone Dies at Pace airo Sun Uncle George 5

Latrobe Jobs

Latrobe People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Latrobe News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Latrobe

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]