Baton Twirling in White Eagles Social Hall

Posted in the Latrobe Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Truth

Blairsville, PA

#1 Jan 4, 2012
Does anyone else see a problem with taking 4-18 year old kids into this location after dark? Most of the kids will be dressed in gymnastics cloths or summer clothing. Don't kids have enough years to learn about bars... Is it even legal for the kids to be there once a week?
MillerTyme

Pittsburgh, PA

#2 Jan 5, 2012
The upper social hall, if this is the correct location, is well removed from the bar. You can enter and exit off Weldon Street very easily. If your physically entering the bar itself I would call BS on the organizer as to why.

I'm guessing your worries are butch clients and undesirables on the street. Suggest another location with the same accomodations (access, space, schedule).
state champs

Greensburg, PA

#3 Jan 5, 2012
In the 1970s, several Latrobe girls who were state baton twirling champions, practiced in the gym on the top of the FOE. There was no need to enter the bar, and the FOE let the girls practice for free. There used to be a whole basketball court on the top floor; the hardwood floors and high ceiling made a perfect place for baton twirlers to practice.
coop

Latrobe, PA

#4 Jan 5, 2012
I have been to the social many time for different functions that involve kids. There is no way these girls will even see the bar or what goes on. As soon as u enter off Weldon Street there are steps that go straight upstairs to the big open, high ceiling room. This is perfect location considerign we live in PA and it is cold and snowy. Come April they can practice outside and everything will be fine. You can not coddle children all their lives. There are batting cages in another local club and you dont hear anyone saying anything about that. The baton group has enough adult supervision that nothing will happen. Not alot of places can accomodate what they need and if u are involved you should be lucky the club is letting the girls practice there. It is so hard to get the community to help any organization these days.
lat

Jeannette, PA

#5 Jan 5, 2012
coop wrote:
I have been to the social many time for different functions that involve kids. There is no way these girls will even see the bar or what goes on. As soon as u enter off Weldon Street there are steps that go straight upstairs to the big open, high ceiling room. This is perfect location considerign we live in PA and it is cold and snowy. Come April they can practice outside and everything will be fine. You can not coddle children all their lives. There are batting cages in another local club and you dont hear anyone saying anything about that. The baton group has enough adult supervision that nothing will happen. Not alot of places can accomodate what they need and if u are involved you should be lucky the club is letting the girls practice there. It is so hard to get the community to help any organization these days.
Your right my boys all practice ball at the Eagles and them going in and out day or night for practice is not a problem. I think people can find something to complain about in just about anything given the chance.

If you don't like the baton thing going on there go to a meeting and bring it up. If it is your child and you don't like it don't take them. If you are neither a club member or parent then maybe find another topic that you actually have a hand in to gripe about.
Saddened

Blairsville, PA

#6 Jan 6, 2012
Sad state of affairs when children a taken into places associated with alcohol. Sadder yet when such actions are accepted. I looked it up and seems like the people is running a business and is too cheap to find a real location.
Hello obvious

Blairsville, PA

#7 Jan 6, 2012
MillerTyme wrote:
The upper social hall, if this is the correct location, is well removed from the bar. You can enter and exit off Weldon Street very easily. If your physically entering the bar itself I would call BS on the organizer as to why.
I'm guessing your worries are butch clients and undesirables on the street. Suggest another location with the same accomodations (access, space, schedule).
I guess we should expect this response when someone names themself with a alcholic slogan.
MillerTyme

Pittsburgh, PA

#8 Jan 6, 2012
Helpful response, like all the others above.

(1)You're not physically entering entering a club, its a roomy facility which happens to have a club nearbye.

(2) If anyone was entering said club for any reason then NO this is not acceptable.

(3) If you would like to suggest an alternate and accomodating location to the organizers feel free to do so. Pull your kid out and go elsewhere if you want something better. I dont belong to this club, have never been in it, have been to the social hall several times without incident.

Finally the last name is MILLER, first initial T. with a(yme) thrown on complete a screen name.

Perhaps you're having difficulty reading the computer screen with your nose so high in the air.
lat

Jeannette, PA

#9 Jan 6, 2012
Saddened wrote:
Sad state of affairs when children a taken into places associated with alcohol. Sadder yet when such actions are accepted. I looked it up and seems like the people is running a business and is too cheap to find a real location.
Do you have children? If so are any involved in any type of sport or activity? If in baseball they will practice at the FOE eagles. If in other sports then banquets will be held at a firehall or banquet hall and some do allow the parents to purchase alcohol. If this is not acceptable to you then don't put your children into any type of activity, don't have children or instead of only offering criticism offer and alternate place.

Just a suggestion but why don't you open up some sort of indoor batting cage for the ones that play ball. Do you know that there is no other alternative locally for this sport?

Since: Nov 11

Location hidden

#10 Jan 6, 2012
Huh...imagine that. A community type thing going on at the White Eagles SOCIAL Hall.

What will they think of next?
two percent tops

Greensburg, PA

#11 Jan 6, 2012
MillerTyme wrote:
Helpful response, like all the others above.
(1)You're not physically entering entering a club, its a roomy facility which happens to have a club nearbye.
(2) If anyone was entering said club for any reason then NO this is not acceptable.
(3) If you would like to suggest an alternate and accomodating location to the organizers feel free to do so. Pull your kid out and go elsewhere if you want something better. I dont belong to this club, have never been in it, have been to the social hall several times without incident.
Finally the last name is MILLER, first initial T. with a(yme) thrown on complete a screen name.
Perhaps you're having difficulty reading the computer screen with your nose so high in the air.
There's nothing wrong with someone's kids walking into the "club" to get their dad for a ride home. What's the difference between a kid walking into Dino's to fetch their dad or a kid walking into the FOE to fetch a father? I bet the kids at Latrobe Country Club swim all afernoon, dry off, and walk into the lounge to get a parent to take them home or to a friends.
Local Yocal

Latrobe, PA

#12 Jan 6, 2012
ahhh two percent I think you missed the initial post which referred to young girls, thier dress, and being subject to the bar scene.

MillerTyme (a friend of mine) said if they are required to enter the club as part of this baton class then no thats not cool. I/he knows this isnt the case. All use the Weldon Street to access the upper floor and have no contact with the bar scene.

I've been to several 'establishments' with elders and by no means lived a sheltered life. I turned out OK because I was taught well, as did my kids.
Truth

Blairsville, PA

#13 Jan 17, 2012
Guess my daughter has more intelligence than the people on this site. She was uncomfortable with the location. Before you down her.. she is two grades above most kids her age. At nine, she tests between mid 6th and mid 12th depending on the subject. She attends acro, ballet, tap, jazz and ballet. She practices every sport, every day. She researches her sports online and on video to learn skills to improve. She even watches the news, reads the newspaper, researches everything she learns in her school work. She also has straight As in school
My daughter has found a new location with a better instructor who has her own place and does not stoop to using bar-related locations.
As far using it location, the owner is too cheap to rent a proper location. Look around town...there are numerous open locations.
It is terrible that kids enter bars and must do sports related to alcohol.
The abundance of alcoholism in our social is confirmed by sad effects of alcoholic parents.
lat

Jeannette, PA

#14 Jan 17, 2012
Truth wrote:
Guess my daughter has more intelligence than the people on this site. She was uncomfortable with the location. Before you down her.. she is two grades above most kids her age. At nine, she tests between mid 6th and mid 12th depending on the subject. She attends acro, ballet, tap, jazz and ballet. She practices every sport, every day. She researches her sports online and on video to learn skills to improve. She even watches the news, reads the newspaper, researches everything she learns in her school work. She also has straight As in school
My daughter has found a new location with a better instructor who has her own place and does not stoop to using bar-related locations.
As far using it location, the owner is too cheap to rent a proper location. Look around town...there are numerous open locations.
The abundance of alcoholism in our social is confirmed by sad effects of alcoholic parents.
You should be very proud sounds like you have a child prodigy on your hands to be able to practice every sport every day, read the newspaper watch the news and do studies and research she does more than most adults.
What

Blairsville, PA

#15 Jan 17, 2012
She is always doing something.
Adios Beech

Latrobe, PA

#16 Jan 17, 2012
Truth wrote:
Good - the kids got talent, does her homework, and strives to be sucessful. You on the other hand need to dig deep and remove the golden stick out of your ass. So your kid found a new place cause she was uncomfortable....ahhh sounds like mommy got some hangups and issues of her own.

This location in no way influences anyone to drink, become an alcoholic, or hold the banner high while representing the low-lifes of Latrobe. Many local sports; basketball, softball, baseball (teener, DU, legion) and others were/are sponsored by clubs, bars, & other organizations. The kids do not enter the club, do not drink there, are not subjected to adverse conditions. While it might not mean shit to you, I live here and for thier support of the kids I'll say THANK YOU - ALL OF YOU.!!!

On behalf of The Frontier Club, FOE, White Eagles, St Joes, Lloydsville, The Legion,,,just to name a few - ADIOS BEECH.!!!
MillerTyme

Pittsburgh, PA

#17 Jan 18, 2012
Well said - BRAVO. I'll extend that THANKS to the Unity Twp and Derry sponsors as well.
lat

Jeannette, PA

#18 Jan 18, 2012
Adios Beech wrote:
<quoted text>
Good - the kids got talent, does her homework, and strives to be sucessful. You on the other hand need to dig deep and remove the golden stick out of your ass. So your kid found a new place cause she was uncomfortable....ahhh sounds like mommy got some hangups and issues of her own.
This location in no way influences anyone to drink, become an alcoholic, or hold the banner high while representing the low-lifes of Latrobe. Many local sports; basketball, softball, baseball (teener, DU, legion) and others were/are sponsored by clubs, bars, & other organizations. The kids do not enter the club, do not drink there, are not subjected to adverse conditions. While it might not mean shit to you, I live here and for thier support of the kids I'll say THANK YOU - ALL OF YOU.!!!
On behalf of The Frontier Club, FOE, White Eagles, St Joes, Lloydsville, The Legion,,,just to name a few - ADIOS BEECH.!!!
I think what many don't understand is the good that many of these clubs do for our community.

FOE provides a small scholarship to a sr every year, they have raised money to help women going thru cancer treatments (donation to the wig place to be used to help defray the cost to customers), they provide an area for sports practices, they along with St. Joes and Fronier and Lloydsville sponsor a teener league team. I believe all of the clubs donated to the new lights downtown. This is just a short list the good that they do is so much more than i have listed.

Maybe we all could just suggest that since her daughter likes to research so much she could research the good that these clubs have done for the community instead of only the "bad" that she learned from someone. Now i say she learned the "bad" of clubs because she is far to young understand what a club really is or to go into one let alone have peers that go so her information was learned from probably a parent that never really did research of their own or that frequents one to much and that is probably why said daughter is uncomfortable with being around people that drink.

Before anyone goes off bashing on "ass"umptions do your own research. The clubs around here mostly have oldtimers that go in have a drink or 2 sign up and leave. The regulars aren't drunks or alcolholics. Are there problems occasionally, yes of course but name one place that hasn't had an occasional problem.
Redneck

Latrobe, PA

#19 Jan 18, 2012
Truth wrote:
While some might see the benefit of raising a child with such Mormon-like militaristic disciplines, I am reminded of a friend of mine who experienced the same kind of upbringing. Everything went according to the parentsí plan until he went off to college on his own. Once he got there, it was like shaking a can of beer and pulling the tabÖout of control. Yet, he is a very successful and a proud grandparent. He didnít end up in jail, a ditch, or dead. As a matter of fact, he looked like he stepped right out of the yearbook at our last reunion.

Sometimes the best way to influence a child to stay away from a behavior is to let them see up close and personal the uncomfortable consequences associated with them. I saw friends and relatives smoking when I grew up. I was 5 when one of them gave me a cigarette and showed me how to inhale. I never tried it again. When I was 14, a couple of friends showed up on Christmas Eve with a bottle of wine. After drinking that and some other alcohol that night, my attachment to the sink and commode precluded an aversion to even the smell of grape pop for quite a long time. A similar incident at a cousinís wedding cemented the cure for over consumption of alcohol. Both times, my father watched me drink with a wry smile on his face and an admonishing ďgo ahead, now youíll find outĒ as he drug me to the sink. I wanted a motorcycle since I was 12, but my dad refused to allow me to have one. When I was old enough and working at LAH, I saw what happens when one is in an accident. I never had the desire later. Growing up in the sixties, one then as now, was tempted to try drugs. After watching more than one overdose, I have never used drugs or had the desire to try just to see what happens.

The moral of the story is that you canít raise a healthy and happy kid in a bubble. Keeping a child in a totally sterile environment prevents the child from building up immunities against germs and bad behaviors. At some point they will come in contact with all of them and have to make a choice. Almost always, it takes a bad experience to gain the knowledge to cure the ill. Responsibility isnít going to come from a book read in supervised isolation.

Itís called growing up. Itís tougher on the parents than the child most of the time. Nothing hurts more than when you canít protect your child from harm, physical or emotional, that comes at the hands of othersÖteammates, friends, teachers, lovers, and spouses. As bad as all this is, keeping them in a protective cocoon away from the real world is far worse.

Jagger

Pittsburgh, PA

#20 Jan 18, 2012
Redneck wrote:
<quoted text>
While some might see the benefit of raising a child with such Mormon-like militaristic disciplines, I am reminded of a friend of mine who experienced the same kind of upbringing. Everything went according to the parentsí plan until he went off to college on his own. Once he got there, it was like shaking a can of beer and pulling the tabÖout of control. Yet, he is a very successful and a proud grandparent. He didnít end up in jail, a ditch, or dead. As a matter of fact, he looked like he stepped right out of the yearbook at our last reunion.
So, basically what you are saying in your own charming yet illogical way is that his parents raised him properly. The foundation of discipline that the parents built was strong enough to combat the recklessness of youth.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Latrobe Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
PA Who do you support for Governor in Pennsylvania... (Oct '10) 3 hr Ed Swindell 51,527
Bob Cole...... Busted again, good..... Lol 7 hr Need pills 12
PA Who do you support for U.S. Senate in Pennsylva... (Oct '10) 9 hr Skip Intel - Blam... 4,021
Where is the best place for VW repair? 14 hr import citizen 6
Latrobe Police Dept. (Apr '07) 17 hr lol 56
Whitney driver charged in fatal DUI (Jul '12) Mon sorry so lengthy 342
Tuition Free Mon Virgina 3
Latrobe Dating

more search filters

less search filters

Latrobe Jobs

Latrobe People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Latrobe News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Latrobe