Why does it smell so bad in town lately?

Posted in the Latrobe Forum

First Prev
of 5
Next Last
Grossed Out

Pittsburgh, PA

#1 Jul 26, 2010
For the two nights in a row now, the town smells worse than I've ever noticed. It's obviously coming from the sewage treatment plant. It's common on a hot summer night to smell the sewage treatment plant a few blocks away, but the smell the past few nights has made it the whole way to Holzer's (maybe further). Has anyone else noticed this?
Smell

Mckeesport, PA

#2 Jul 26, 2010
It is good and ripe tonight!!!! I thought the neighbor had a sewer line break when I was outside a few moments ago..
Smells Bad

Freeport, PA

#3 Jul 27, 2010
The smell is worse than it has ever been before. People all over are complaining about it. My House is stinking bad inside. What is going on over there ??? This is not normal.
elected officials

Latrobe, PA

#4 Jul 27, 2010
perhaps the elected officials feel that this quality of life issue is not worthy of a public comment in the Bulletin--certainly that can't be the case--do other towns have to deal with this to this degree--not many!
holiday1

Pittsburgh, PA

#5 Jul 27, 2010
might have to do with the new brewery coming in and dumping all that old sh*t in the creeks
Smell

Mckeesport, PA

#6 Jul 27, 2010
Im not sure what the issue is but I would like to see it addressed!!!!!
Smells Bad

Freeport, PA

#7 Jul 27, 2010
holiday1 wrote:
might have to do with the new brewery coming in and dumping all that old sh*t in the creeks
No it is not from the brewery, it smells over by the crap plant and it is stronger than it has ever been in my recollection. The Beer actually smells good for a change.
george

Apollo, PA

#8 Jul 27, 2010
It couldnt be the sewage plant could it? is the mushroom farm still open? maybe its one of those scummy apartments downtown!
town historian

Pittsburgh, PA

#9 Jul 27, 2010
The new breed of Latrobe citizens.
Welfare Girl

Kittanning, PA

#10 Jul 27, 2010
The BREWERY is overloading the sewage plant...they will raise the rates because they will say the BREWERY is not paying...the sewage board just gave out 3% raises (UNHEARD OF) and then they will never lower the rates (Even after the brewery pays....remember what Iron City did in Pittsburgh).

Get Charlie Moff off the Sewage Authority. Is he like 90 years old ?
Smell

Mckeesport, PA

#11 Jul 27, 2010
The sun is setting and the smell is also setting in already... Maybe it is the new breed of Latrobe citizens.
Latrobe

Pittsburgh, PA

#12 Jul 27, 2010
I HEAR THAT A SPECIAL MEETING IS TO TAKE PLACE ON THURSDAY CONCERNING THE SMELL THAT HAS IMPACTED OUR HOMES IN LATROBE. THEY R ASKING FOR ALL CITIZENS TO TRY AN ATTEND THE MEETING. ONLY PROBLEM IS----- DONT'T KNOW THE LOCATION OF THE MEETING OR THE TIME. WE THE TAXPAYERS SHOULD NOT HAVE TO SMELL THIS IN OUR HOMES EVERY NIGHT. IF ANYONE HAS INFO ON THE LOCATION & TIME FOR THE MEETING IT WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED!!!
LATROBE

Pittsburgh, PA

#13 Jul 27, 2010
I don't think the meeting is for the general public, but call and voice your concerns.
Lord of Karma

United States

#14 Jul 28, 2010
Make sure to ask the technical questions. 1. What if any impact this smell has on the safety of the folks here. 2. What are the PPM (parts per million,) ratings of this off gassing? 3. Is this off gassing methane based or another carcinogen. 4. Who, is looking into these items, give me a name not just some lip service. 5. When can we expect answers?(Get a date and hold them to the fire until.) 6. Who is going to pay for any mitigasting actions taken, the problem owners or the people? 7. What are the long term health effects of this? 8. Will there be an indipendent/outside authority (not invested,) giving anassesment or is the local government 9completely invested,) going to give their opinion?
It does not affect me, so I do not care, but these are damn sure things I would want to know if it did.
Lord of Karma

United States

#15 Jul 28, 2010
Sorry for all of the typos, but you get the content of the post.
joe

Pittsburgh, PA

#16 Jul 28, 2010
It is the brewery the sick smell is coming from, if the beer smells that bad when they make it sure must taste like shit!
bunny lover

Pittsburgh, PA

#17 Jul 28, 2010
I called the sewage plant several days ago. I don't remember who I was talking to but he acted surprised that there was a sewage odor. He said that they would put the misters on but whatever they are supposed to do they didn't. I've lived here 38 years and it has never been this bad.
brewing stench

Latrobe, PA

#18 Jul 28, 2010
rumor that i heard is that the sewage plant was unprepared for the brewery's outflow aka malty stench--can anyone confirm?? If so, who is accountable for not being prepared?

Since: Feb 10

Blairsville, PA

#19 Jul 28, 2010
The truth is that the city has no money to fix its infrastructure. It does how ever have the money to spend on brick walk ways and sidewalks. and nice flower arrangements. The water authority has so many problems it cant fix its pathetic. and no one will address the problems . Take a ride around town and see how many valves are leaking into the streets. from out by the pond to the constant water flow around Washington and Miller streets . I visit people
on Washington St. about twice a week and have seen it leaking for months now ,dont know how all these people put up with it ,if it happend here in Greensburg people would fire everyone in the water authority. As for the smell from Latrobes' sewer plant. No plant should smell like that only ones that are not managed correctly. so people of Latrobe I hope you wake up and do something about this or you can put a sign up on 981 entering your town that say WELCOME TO CRAPTROBE. ENJOY THE SMELL. WE WOULD LIKE YOU TO SHOP AND VISIT US BUT
TOUGH S*IT

Since: Aug 09

Pittsburgh, PA

#20 Jul 28, 2010
Terminal Stare wrote:
The truth is that the city has no money to fix its infrastructure. It does how ever have the money to spend on brick walk ways and sidewalks. and nice flower arrangements. The water authority has so many problems it cant fix its pathetic. and no one will address the problems . Take a ride around town and see how many valves are leaking into the streets. from out by the pond to the constant water flow around Washington and Miller streets . I visit people
on Washington St. about twice a week and have seen it leaking for months now ,dont know how all these people put up with it ,if it happend here in Greensburg people would fire everyone in the water authority. As for the smell from Latrobes' sewer plant. No plant should smell like that only ones that are not managed correctly. so people of Latrobe I hope you wake up and do something about this or you can put a sign up on 981 entering your town that say WELCOME TO CRAPTROBE. ENJOY THE SMELL. WE WOULD LIKE YOU TO SHOP AND VISIT US BUT
TOUGH S*IT
Agreed - I stopped selling Tropical Fish back in 1996 - as there was to many losses from them all dying - we fought with the water authority since the middle 1980's - and said how bad the water was - they said they did not care - they just want it safe for people to drink - in 2000 - i was diagnosed with heavy metal toxicity, YES THE WATER...... so since then i have been using PUR water treatment - i never drink the water from the tap - as for the smell all over latrobe - i wonder how many more times latrobe will have the lovely brown water come - like last years 8 or more times - Oh i love looking at all the pretty flowers the city plants

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Latrobe Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Battaglias's Creekside restaurant 21 min unhappy 8
Battaglia's creekside restaurant and bar on Ave... 23 min unhappy 7
Drug Bust in Sheetz Parking lot 3 hr Ike 15
Dexters Deck In trouble with the Law 4 hr besthavestayedaway 9
DUI Task Force 8 hr THISPLACE 11
Anytime fitness latrobe Tue Olive 6
Whitney driver charged in fatal DUI (Jul '12) Tue Latrobe resident 345

Flood Warning for Westmoreland County was issued at March 05 at 11:14AM EST

Latrobe Dating
Find my Match