First Prev
of 5
Next Last
Latrobian

Greensburg, PA

#1 Oct 11, 2011
I was at the Latrobe 30 Plaza yesterday and noticed something was going in where Napelitos Mexican Restaurant used to be. WOW! This new restaurant is going to be amazing. I stopped in to see when it was going to open and met the owner. His name is Chef Mark Henry. The name of the place is,Chef Mark's Palate. One side is Steak and Seafood, the other side is a Cafe/Bistro. The place is beautiful inside. It has been completely remodeled. Irma's German Goodies and Pasteries will be sold there. Cinnamm's Roasted Nuts will be making their Cinnamon Roasted Nuts in the Cafe/Bistro daily. These are the same people that sell the nuts at Westmoreland Mall during Christmas. They will no longer be at the mall over Christmas. So if you want their nuts, this is where you will have to buy them. Chef Mark said he hopes to be open with in a week or two, so keep your eyes open. We needed a place like this. Its a damn shame the local media has not said anything about this yet.
LOK

United States

#2 Oct 11, 2011
Latrobian wrote:
I was at the Latrobe 30 Plaza yesterday and noticed something was going in where Napelitos Mexican Restaurant used to be. WOW! This new restaurant is going to be amazing. I stopped in to see when it was going to open and met the owner. His name is Chef Mark Henry. The name of the place is,Chef Mark's Palate. One side is Steak and Seafood, the other side is a Cafe/Bistro. The place is beautiful inside. It has been completely remodeled. Irma's German Goodies and Pasteries will be sold there. Cinnamm's Roasted Nuts will be making their Cinnamon Roasted Nuts in the Cafe/Bistro daily. These are the same people that sell the nuts at Westmoreland Mall during Christmas. They will no longer be at the mall over Christmas. So if you want their nuts, this is where you will have to buy them. Chef Mark said he hopes to be open with in a week or two, so keep your eyes open. We needed a place like this. Its a damn shame the local media has not said anything about this yet.
It will do great for 18-24 months, then when the newness wears off, it will slowly peter out till finally after 4-5 years it will close shop. Just my opinion of the local economy/mentality.
Redneck

Latrobe, PA

#3 Oct 11, 2011
LOK wrote:
<quoted text>It will do great for 18-24 months, then when the newness wears off, it will slowly peter out till finally after 4-5 years it will close shop. Just my opinion of the local economy/mentality.
I'd agree with your forecast except for the Station that has seemed to survive much longer than expected.

Who know? Maybe this one will catsh on and stay. The Hollow is still vacant and I was disappointed to hear that the deal fell thoguh with the owners of Out of the Fire Cafe in Donegal.
Bumpy Girl loves B-Man

Latrobe, PA

#4 Oct 11, 2011
LOK wrote:
It will do great for 18-24 months, then when the newness wears off, it will slowly peter out till finally after 4-5 years it will close shop. Just my opinion of the local economy/mentality.
This is why I keep promoting the 1/4 - sized businesses for the area, especially for downtown Latrobe.

-----Build small, compact, for full utilization, and maximum profit

The spitfire Grill in Greensburg, was great, and died, so there's another example of a place that thrived -- for a while -- then got abandoned.
Bumpy Girl loves B-Man

Latrobe, PA

#5 Oct 11, 2011
Redneck wrote:
I'd agree with your forecast except for the Station that has seemed to survive much longer than expected....The Hollow is still vacant and I was disappointed to hear that the deal fell thoguh with the owners of Out of the Fire Cafe in Donegal.
The Station survives because it's a cash pit for the owner. It's not a profit maker, and isn't it a landmark, no property taxes?

The Hollow is a GREAT PLACE for a restaurant, and "out of the fire" is a great resturant, but, who wants to build "sophisiticated" in an area where:

-----30% of the residents get Public Assistance

-----50% of the residents have a household income between $20,000 and $50,000?

-----In Latrobe, only 2% of the residents amke over $150,000 per year.

That leaves:

-----18% of the residents, man, woman, and child, to support something new?

Don't think so...
Bumpy Girl loves B-Man

Latrobe, PA

#6 Oct 11, 2011
Latrobian wrote:
What would be nice is if this business would:

1) use the courtyard for outside seating

2) create a little greenhouse-type outside seating gazebo, to draw attention to the corner of the building, where the place is located.

3) create some sort of -- awning walkway -- to the business along the wall of the beer distributor, to make it look elegant, like a "destination" place, and not a hidden in the corner secret gem.
Betty Jean

West Mifflin, PA

#7 Oct 11, 2011
when is the sub shop opening in town by the library ? it will be nice to be able to walk there from work than the whole way up to scotty g by time we leave the office and walk there, and get the food , it is not long enough of a lunch break time to eat and enjoy it,
lat

Irwin, PA

#8 Oct 11, 2011
Renee when you learn to manage your own life then give suggestions elsewhere. Please stop trying to take over this thread.

I for one am excited to see a new place opening. We eat out quite frequently and it will be nice to have something closer to home to choose from. I don't care for the food at DiSalvos. it makes most of its money from weddings/banquets/bar i think.
pattycake

Mount Rainier, MD

#9 Oct 11, 2011
LOK--i dont agree. There a other restaurants that have opened and stayed. Pizza Sienna to name one. What about Casa Tomas (i know its changed hands, but...). I wasnt aware that Dino's or Sharkeys has closed?? Whats with the 'local mentality' comment. Are you saying its OUR fault a restaurant doesnt do well? Youre starting to sound like someone else on here.
MRS

Greensburg, PA

#10 Oct 11, 2011
Personally, I'm looking forward to the opening. We need another good restaurant in the area. We're burnt out on the local fare that we go to Pittsburgh for variety.

I understand that restaurants close, but they do every where. One day it's the "it" place to go, the next, not so much. It's up the restaurant owners/chefs to make people want to come back.

You never know until you try! I wish them luck.
LOK

Latrobe, PA

#11 Oct 11, 2011
pattycake wrote:
LOK--i dont agree. There a other restaurants that have opened and stayed. Pizza Sienna to name one. What about Casa Tomas (i know its changed hands, but...). I wasnt aware that Dino's or Sharkeys has closed?? Whats with the 'local mentality' comment. Are you saying its OUR fault a restaurant doesnt do well? Youre starting to sound like someone else on here.
I guess only time will tell. My experience is that unless it is extremely cheap to eat or there is a bar connected, it is not going to stay open. That last place had a bar and it could not stay open longer than it did. But hey maybe you are right, we'll see.
berry scary basement

Latrobe, PA

#12 Oct 11, 2011
LOK wrote:
<quoted text>I guess only time will tell. My experience is that unless it is extremely cheap to eat or there is a bar connected, it is not going to stay open. That last place had a bar and it could not stay open longer than it did. But hey maybe you are right, we'll see.
For many years, that location had McSorleys, and the very late 60s, early 70s nightclub/bar that moved to Greensburg...uhm...gosh, what was its name?

But, the our town is SATURATED with:

-----pharmacies

-----bars

-----fattening food venues

-----even grocery stores!

Our area needs development in terms of its citizens, their housing, their needs, their lives!

-----people need to acknowledge that people are really poor in this area, and need help, not more places to spend money that they don't have!
lat

Irwin, PA

#13 Oct 11, 2011
berry scary basement wrote:
<quoted text>
For many years, that location had McSorleys, and the very late 60s, early 70s nightclub/bar that moved to Greensburg...uhm...gosh, what was its name?
-----pharmacies
-----bars
Our area needs development in terms of its citizens, their housing, their needs, their lives!
-----people need to acknowledge that people are really poor in this area, and need help, not more places to spend money that they don't have!
Bobby Dales was the one that moved to greensburg.
MRS

Greensburg, PA

#14 Oct 11, 2011
<quoted text>For many years, that location had McSorleys, and the very late 60s, early 70s nightclub/bar that moved to Greensburg...uhm...gosh, what was its name?

-----pharmacies

-----bars

Not EVERYONE is poor in this area. Please stop generalizing.

I agree there are way too many pharmacies, but grocery stores are a necessity.

I for one can't wait to go the new restaurant!
berry scary basement

Latrobe, PA

#15 Oct 11, 2011
lat wrote:
Bobby Dales was the one that moved to greensburg.
McSorley's and Bobby Dales did well in that corner location.

If that new business uses that outside courtyard, for seating for cooking displays in the summer, and places umbrellas around that area, the new business will thrive, people will want to sit there and have coffee or drinks.

-----There's no where to sit outside in Latrobe, and that place could be it.
lat

Irwin, PA

#16 Oct 11, 2011
<quoted text>
If that new business uses that outside courtyard, for seating for cooking displays in the summer, and places umbrellas around that area, the new business will thrive, people will want to sit there and have coffee or drinks.
Black and Gold Grill, Jaffres, sheetz, duncan donut
Latrobian

Greensburg, PA

#17 Oct 11, 2011
<quoted text>
The Chef did mention he was working with the plaza owners about fixing the coutyard for outside cafe tables.
Redneck

Latrobe, PA

#18 Oct 11, 2011
This is a tough town for a restaurant to stay in business, especially an upscale one. I don’t think it has so much to do with the local economy though.

Recently, I and my family went to the Out of the fire Café on a Tuesday evening. Thinking it wouldn’t be necessary to call for a reservation on an ordinary middle of the week day, we were lucky we got there when we did because around 6:00 P.M. the place filled up completely. This is no hash house with blue plate all you can eat specials for 5.99. But it seemed that way as the place was packed the entire time we were there.

A few months before that, I took a ride up to Turillo’s Steak House in Jennerstown. It had been quite a few years since I ate there and I wanted to see if they still served their style of steaks. Now this isn’t Out of the Fire Café quality fare, but it does have a unique and traditional flavor…so to speak. What I’m getting at is that it also was on a Tuesday evening and it too needed a revolving door. The place was full with people coming in as people went out…and it seemed everyone but me knew everyone else.

Two different places to eat in out of the way small town areas with different prices and menus…and both places packed in the middle of the week. These weren’t sports bars of bar food venues. These were sit down family style places.

What place in Latrobe ever had that type of patronage or volume? I don’t have an answer, but I’m just stating a recent observation. Maybe there is something in the water???
LOK

United States

#19 Oct 12, 2011
Latrobian wrote:
<quoted text>
The Chef did mention he was working with the plaza owners about fixing the coutyard for outside cafe tables.
That way I might enjoy a nice soy latte while watching the latrobe riff raff sell heroine or stare at the lovely facade that once was a hardware store, or the thrifty shoppers heading in and out. I just do not see the allure, but thats just me. Who knows, maybe it will beat the incredible odds against it. Just my 2 cents. I can always head 10 feet to the right and grab a 30 pak while enjoying my soy latte.
LOK

United States

#20 Oct 12, 2011
Redneck wrote:
This is a tough town for a restaurant to stay in business, especially an upscale one. I don’t think it has so much to do with the local economy though.
Recently, I and my family went to the Out of the fire Café on a Tuesday evening. Thinking it wouldn’t be necessary to call for a reservation on an ordinary middle of the week day, we were lucky we got there when we did because around 6:00 P.M. the place filled up completely. This is no hash house with blue plate all you can eat specials for 5.99. But it seemed that way as the place was packed the entire time we were there.
A few months before that, I took a ride up to Turillo’s Steak House in Jennerstown. It had been quite a few years since I ate there and I wanted to see if they still served their style of steaks. Now this isn’t Out of the Fire Café quality fare, but it does have a unique and traditional flavor…so to speak. What I’m getting at is that it also was on a Tuesday evening and it too needed a revolving door. The place was full with people coming in as people went out…and it seemed everyone but me knew everyone else.
Two different places to eat in out of the way small town areas with different prices and menus…and both places packed in the middle of the week. These weren’t sports bars of bar food venues. These were sit down family style places.
What place in Latrobe ever had that type of patronage or volume? I don’t have an answer, but I’m just stating a recent observation. Maybe there is something in the water???
Did no one ever tell you that rednecks do not eat where the folk have thier pinky's in the air when sipping a soy latte? Your no true redneck!!!(Smiles,) Hope you know I am just messing with you puddin, try not to get too uptight. Sounds good, I have heard some great things about that beef slab cookery in Jenners, I need to get over there sometime.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Latrobe Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Old Dollar General (Jul '16) 58 min Ryan Wenworth 12
Clark Miedel Sat LOL 3
People of Derry Fri Interested 5
Thinking Back Junior Pro. Fri Air Jordan 14
Latrobe Steel pays $35,000 in Property Taxes to... (Jan '14) Fri Uncle George 136
News Derry man jailed after allegedly hitting woman ... (Nov '09) Mar 23 smarter than dreama 54
Legion keener park Mar 22 calluout 7

Latrobe Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Latrobe Mortgages