Latrobe Derry Teener League

Posted in the Latrobe Forum

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Open Minded or Just Nuts

Latrobe, PA

#1 May 19, 2013
Has anybody (Just a Joe Smoe kid) with no ties whatsoever to the coaches or the people running the league ever had a good experience with this league? We are not connected in the community. We know none of the coaches. Just have a kid that wants to play ball. He is no Babe Ruth... but, he is a decent player with a strong desire to play and learn. He works hard on his own and takes lessons on the side.. he shows up for every practice and game. We signed up for Teener League hearing all the horror stories and we said... "have an open mind". Well, as time passes, it is getting harder to be open. It appears to be a tight knit group that believes parents should shell out the cash to support their cause and that kids need to sit on the bench and watch other kids play game after game even when the end result doesn't change. Our coach... does not seem to realize the mentor role he has. He tells the kids... up your effort or next game I will change things around and let other kids play (there are 16 on a team!!!) Yet, nothing ever changes. Same kids play game after game. I realize I will take a beating because others are going to say I am just a disgruntled parent, but I really need to know. Has a normal kid with no connections ever had a good experience with Teener League and if so... what did you do to get your break?
YEP

Latrobe, PA

#2 May 19, 2013
You are not wrong with your observation. What should be an enjoyable sporting experience for your child will be more of a life learning lesson in favoritism and egomania. I feel sorry for what you and your child are going through and will probably continue to endure playing in that league.
Dennis Paulson

Latrobe, PA

#3 May 19, 2013
I was not very good but I always got to play 2 innings each game
YEP

Latrobe, PA

#4 May 19, 2013
Dennis Paulson wrote:
You must have been fortunate to be on a team with a coach who wasn't trying to fulfill his own disappointing or longed to be relived past as a recognized player. Too many coaches believe in winning at all or any cost even at the detriment to his own players. Others seem to be trying to satisfy their own feelings of inadequacy or frustration of dreams that were not fulfilled. Some only get involved with coaching when their kids are part of the team.

Winning is fun, but you do not always have to win to have fun. Sometimes that gets lost in the process. It should never be when it comes to training kids.
same thing

Latrobe, PA

#5 May 19, 2013
it has always been like that , i watched my son sit on the bench , cause i dont have time to fundraise , or i am not good friends with the coaches ,nor were we related to anyone on the team management , my son decided to wait till high school to play , and is outstanding just as he was when he had to sit on the bench , for no other reason than the coach"s son was the pitcher and was horrible
the coach:s relatives and friends will play before anyone , no matter how bad they are
i had the same experience when i was in midget football as a kid
Open Minded or Just Nuts

Latrobe, PA

#6 May 19, 2013
Dennis Paulson wrote:
They tell you up front now... NO GUARANTEED playing time! You get what the coach gives you, if the coach gives you playing time.
Open Minded or Just Nuts

Latrobe, PA

#8 May 19, 2013
same thing wrote:
it has always been like that , i watched my son sit on the bench , cause i dont have time to fundraise , or i am not good friends with the coaches ,nor were we related to anyone on the team management , my son decided to wait till high school to play , and is outstanding just as he was when he had to sit on the bench , for no other reason than the coach"s son was the pitcher and was horrible
the coach:s relatives and friends will play before anyone , no matter how bad they are
i had the same experience when i was in midget football as a kid
From what I can tell... it has nothing to do with fundraising and money. But, maybe next year... IF, my son plays I will do it differently cause I can't see where it mattered this year. We do it all. We paid the $85 registration fee. We will work our mandatory concession stand time. We paid for/went to and participated in their "Night at the Races" fundraiser. We volunteered to team mom/help coach and were dismissed cause our team has its own inner-circle that we can't break the ice with. We have bought their shirts and we "buy out" our mandatory strip ticket sale... because we prefer not to sell tickets. We have over $200 invested in their various stuff... just trying to give our boy the chance to play. To no avail... he just sits. I could care less about the money though. It is more about the message it sends to the kids. Now a days everybody asks what is wrong with the kids? Why do they act like they do? It is cause we are raising a generation of "entitlement kids". As long as parents make the way and don't make the kids earn their way... the kids will be entitled! Our team is certainly no winner!!! So if the coach is trying to feed his ego... God Bless him! Which is why I feel every kid should be playing! They all paid to play baseball not to sit on a bench!!! Let them learn the game. Let them learn their strengths and weaknesses as a team and maybe... Hopefully along the way they can have some fun and who knows... maybe winning will come when they learn to play as a team instead "just playing the coaches faves".
part time Patty

Greensburg, PA

#9 May 19, 2013
Open Minded or Just Nuts wrote:
<quoted text>
From what I can tell... it has nothing to do with fundraising and money. But, maybe next year... IF, my son plays I will do it differently cause I can't see where it mattered this year. We do it all. We paid the $85 registration fee. We will work our mandatory concession stand time. We paid for/went to and participated in their "Night at the Races" fundraiser. We volunteered to team mom/help coach and were dismissed cause our team has its own inner-circle that we can't break the ice with. We have bought their shirts and we "buy out" our mandatory strip ticket sale... because we prefer not to sell tickets. We have over $200 invested in their various stuff... just trying to give our boy the chance to play. To no avail... he just sits. I could care less about the money though. It is more about the message it sends to the kids. Now a days everybody asks what is wrong with the kids? Why do they act like they do? It is cause we are raising a generation of "entitlement kids". As long as parents make the way and don't make the kids earn their way... the kids will be entitled! Our team is certainly no winner!!! So if the coach is trying to feed his ego... God Bless him! Which is why I feel every kid should be playing! They all paid to play baseball not to sit on a bench!!! Let them learn the game. Let them learn their strengths and weaknesses as a team and maybe... Hopefully along the way they can have some fun and who knows... maybe winning will come when they learn to play as a team instead "just playing the coaches faves".
There are several fields at Legion Keener. Why don't you just save the money, and have your kid arrange games every few days with the same 18-kids, who also want to play baseball.

This is why the playground system once in place in all the wards was so successful: kids could walk to the playgrounds in the evening for sports, and there were always enough kids to play some sort of ball game...
Trade or overcome

Latrobe, PA

#10 May 19, 2013
If you think your son is good enough to play I say there are 2 choices, go ask for a trade, they used to have trades in my day. I would try this first, go talk to the coach, say something like what can i do to get more playing time, I want to make myself a better ball player and contribute to the team. Tell the coach you will hustle and hustle like hell. Most the coaches up there want to win first and i don't know of any coaches that gave a crap about fundraising etc, if the coach sees your boy hustling and out hustling people he may put him in if not ask for a trade or wait for next year on the same team, some time riding the pine and working hard builds character too,
Mml

Acme, PA

#11 May 19, 2013
It is so heartbreaking and frustrating to watch your kid sit on the bench the whole game when you know how much they love the game. We went through the same issues with teener league a few years back. I wish they had to give all kids a chance at the plate each game. I'm glad those days are long gone...
abcd

Latrobe, PA

#13 May 20, 2013
Maybe he should work on getting better? He's not playing because he's not good enough. Could be an injury risk in the field.

You play to win the game. There is no guaranteed playing time. There was guaranteed playing time in little league. 2 innings and 1 at bat. Teener League seperates the good players from the bad players very quickly.

Either get better, he will get a chance if his team is ever up by 20 runs in the first inning.
batter up

Latrobe, PA

#14 May 20, 2013
abcd,,,,, you have no idea what we are talking about here , it never been who is good or bad , believe me i know , i have been seeing it through all my childrens activities
Second stringer

Montgomery, AL

#15 May 20, 2013
If your son doesn't know it yet, he will learn soon enough that the world is not fair. Sports, however, provide opportunities to overcome biases by proving yourself as being unquestionably better than others or being prepared to take advantage of unforeseen breaks. Fortunately and unfortunately, sometimes the opportunity presents itself when a better player is injured. Their absence is exactly the time when the perseverance, drive, determination and desire to play must overcome those obstacles and allow a player to demonstrate what they are capable of doing. It may only be in practice. If he truly wants to play, he can only do what is within his control - make himself too valuable to overlook.
SUMMER

Pittsburgh, PA

#16 May 20, 2013
Yes it's a shame that things are the way they are.
Instead of it being a learning and growing
experience for all the kids - its all about
the big ego trip of the coach looking like a winner!
so sad.
Frank Benjamin

Latrobe, PA

#17 May 20, 2013
Yea Summer, lets start playing with no scoreboard

Or lets start giving everyone a trophy.

I mean lets be real....Somebody wins and somebody loses..THIS IS LIFE

You will not always get the job from an interview.

If the game ends and the score is 2 to 1, and if your team has 1..........YOU LOST
Frank Benjamin

Latrobe, PA

#19 May 20, 2013
Exposed........Just a thought..........They are not playing because they SUCK !

Ok...they made the team cause they need 15 kids.

You and I have been there. WAKE UP PEOPLE.
lat

Punxsutawney, PA

#20 May 20, 2013
SUMMER wrote:
Yes it's a shame that things are the way they are.
Instead of it being a learning and growing
experience for all the kids - its all about
the big ego trip of the coach looking like a winner!
so sad.
Entitlement thinking. Everyone should play, everyone should win, everyone is equal.

Learning and growing happens in the younger leagues. Winnig and losing happens when you get older. Ask even the youngest kids playing thru parks and rec, they want to know who won. If the kids didn't care who won or lost they wouldn't be there playing at all. There is a reason a score is kept.
Blartowsky

Pittsburgh, PA

#22 May 20, 2013
You perform you play! There is a time in a kids life that they have to accept that. It is competition. Why do only high honor and honor roll kids make the paper? They earned it! Why do only a few kids make county chorus? They earned it! Same applies to sports ... Sorry for being honest here.
Open Minded or Just Nuts

Latrobe, PA

#23 May 20, 2013
As I said in my first post... my son is taking lessons... in addition to playing on a team (or sitting on a bench and observing). He knows his limitations and wants to be better. He wants to play ball!!! And crazy me for thinking that game experience should also be part of the learning process even at the ripe old age of 13 or 14 or even 15!!!

Anyway, In my quest to try to be open minded and take it all in... what I know is this.

Our team has only a couple "naturals" of 16 kids. The rest are coaches faves that will have the kid, the mom or dad crying foul if coach doesn't play them. The rest of the team is the kids that patiently are waiting their turn to play while sitting on the bench.

I enjoy watching the naturals... they are up to bat and they hit. They are in the field... doing what they are to be doing. Reality is... On our team... NONE of the coaches kids or the faves are naturals. Nor are they better than those kids sitting on the bench! They are just fortunate to have someone politicking for them!!! Those "faves" drop the ball, they strike out... and yet they still play each and every game, even though the coach issues idle threats to take them out. THAT... is entitlement!!! Those kids know that no matter how crappy they play... they will play again next time cause coach is their dad or their friend and he doesn't have the guts to bench his own kid or a friend's kid for a newbie that just might have talent that their kid does not.
Latrobian Observer

New Kensington, PA

#24 May 20, 2013
I am not quite understanding many of these posts. I have heard that many of these coaches are egomaniac's, I believe this league is being treated like some minor league farm system. Lets face it, we are talking about kids who are what 13-15 year olds! We are talking about trades,#1 draft picks getting all the attention and paying money etc... Wait! What about the kids getting better. Isn't that what practice is for? I agree that winning is important, but more importantly, are these kids being taught correctly? Are they learning the game of baseball or are they paying for the fancy field? I truly believe if a kid is not good enough to play no matter how much money you paid he of she will not play as much as others even if that's not at all unless a game is out of hand either way. That's a life's lesson in itself because it won't be the last time that your kids will have to swallow a hard feeling. But, I bet your kid will be good at something, and better at that one thing than any of his or her teammates that he/she currently sits with at the Teener league field. Don't you learn from these things...work harder...get better so at least you can try to go from getting in hardly at all or none, to maybe being a role player as a runner or pinch hitter? I don't know, but some of these posts just make me feel like these kids are being treated like grown adults by those who run the league, but babies by some of the parents. How about let the kids learn the game, practice the game, and most importantly stop hearing the coaches bitch about the parents and vice versa. I have been around sports in this area for a long long time and I have seen many times where that kid who was not that "talented" at a sport early in their athletic career certainly made an impact later and at the same time, passed up many of these "top draft picks" in a 13-15 year old league when it really counted...High School and in some cases beyond. Good luck to these players who are dedicating their time. To the coaches....Keep teaching and every single kid you coach may not say it verbally, but they want to learn too. They should all get at least opportunity right?! Good luck in your season!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Latrobe Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Derry Snow Plows 2 hr Fifth Ave 2
TSI Derry 3 hr Wrong guy 8
Derrys Facebook Page 5 hr DerryResident 8
Latrobe McDonalds 20 hr Robot 29
Taxes Going Up Wed Sandberg 7
Unity Township (Sep '12) Tue Disgustedwithpeople 2
Get Adelphoi village out!!!! (Mar '14) Tue Sandberg 27

Latrobe Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance