Spirit Airlines Latrobe

Posted in the Latrobe Forum

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Traveler

Latrobe, PA

#1 Aug 6, 2012
Traveling soon... When flying out of Latrobe on Spirit Airlines, is it really necessary to be at the airport 2 hours early when you live locally.

AND... has a group ever travel spirit and not paid the $10. per seat charge to sit together AND actually been put near each other anyway?

Do they serve a snack... cause although my kids are older they will still look for it... lol!!!
SUMMER

Pittsburgh, PA

#2 Aug 6, 2012
No it really isn't necessary to be 2 hours early, but i would be there no less than an hour. As far
as the $10 ahead of time for seating we never paid
that and they have always put us together. it's just me and hubby though no a whole family with kids so not sure about that. Can't remember the snack thing??
They had them but I think you had to pay
for them. You were offered a pop though. Have a great flight! It's awesome such a great convenience
for Latrobe.
local

Latrobe, PA

#3 Aug 6, 2012
where do you book your flights with them ??? online or through a agent
Pixarfreak

Landrum, SC

#4 Aug 6, 2012
No snack...your kids will be fine. Bring a snack with you if it is that necessary.

I show up 45-60 minutes prior.

It was a fast and great experience.

I did not pay for the seating and we were seated together (just 2 of us).

We are a family of five. I would pay for my youngest and myself to sit together but the rest we would wing it.
Pixarfreak

Landrum, SC

#5 Aug 6, 2012
local wrote:
I suppose you could stop in at the airport. But spirit does have a website...
Traveler

Latrobe, PA

#6 Aug 6, 2012
local wrote:
Spirit.com if you want to book directly. It was easy. You can also call... 1-800-772-7117 but I tried calling 2x. Once was a 45 min wait and 2nd time was a 30 minute wait to speak to a customer service rep.
lat

Irwin, PA

#7 Aug 6, 2012
The best way to book with Spirit is to go there (Latrobe Airport), the rates are cheaper if you go to the airport and speak to them and most of the time they will wave the $10 fee for the seating. As far as snacks go you can get something little for them once thru security and they still want you there at least 1 hour prior.
Traveler

Latrobe, PA

#8 Aug 6, 2012
lat wrote:
The best way to book with Spirit is to go there (Latrobe Airport), the rates are cheaper if you go to the airport and speak to them and most of the time they will wave the $10 fee for the seating. As far as snacks go you can get something little for them once thru security and they still want you there at least 1 hour prior.
Why do you suppose rates are cheaper in person? Usually... the minute you take the real person contact out it is cheaper. In this case... maybe not so? Wondering...
lat

Irwin, PA

#9 Aug 6, 2012
Traveler wrote:
<quoted text>
Why do you suppose rates are cheaper in person? Usually... the minute you take the real person contact out it is cheaper. In this case... maybe not so? Wondering...
I have no idea but its posted on their website. I also thought it was wierd but when i went in the rate i got was $30 cheaper each way and i didn't have to pay for the seating. I also told a friend this and she went in to book hers and got the same deal.
Kinsey

Forest Park, IL

#10 Aug 7, 2012
I just checked in online for my family of five including three children. I was a little apprehensive about not paying to reserve seats but it added $50 each way so I tried it. They put us all together. I think the key is to check in online as early as possible. You can look and see how many seats are still available without paying. It looks like they assign you seats together as long as the cheap seats are still available. BTW, when we purchased our tickets it was $100 cheaper (total for the five of us) to buy direct at airport instead of online. I only live 15 minutes from the airport so it was worth running out there on a Saturday morning and paying the $2 in parking to save on the tickets. I then used my confirmation number to pay for our checked bags online in advance to save money. Spirit does pack on the fees, but if you account for everything can still be a good deal. My family of five is flying to Myrtle Beach from Chicago with two checked bags for $856. It's worth it to bring snacks and empty water bottles to fill up after the security check. It's only a two hour flight anyway. Only the bathrooms are free on Spirit.
emmettbk

Gibsonia, PA

#11 Sep 5, 2012
what are the charges and/or fees for carry-on and is there a free baggage if your bag weighs only 40 pounds?
call spirit

Latrobe, PA

#12 Sep 5, 2012
These fees can change...you should call spirit directly for a more accurate answer.
lat

Irwin, PA

#13 Sep 5, 2012
emmettbk wrote:
what are the charges and/or fees for carry-on and is there a free baggage if your bag weighs only 40 pounds?
right now its $28 each way for a suitcase you check and suitcase must weigh less than 40lbs. Carryons are $30. You do get one free personal bag. It must be less than 16 inches (basically the size of a small gym bag or bookbag.

You need to prepay for your bags and do your own boarding passes or they charge you to do them when you check in.
rosebuddy

Pittsburgh, PA

#14 Sep 5, 2012
Would rather fly Southwest!
Jan May

Latrobe, PA

#15 Sep 6, 2012
Traveler wrote:
Traveling soon... When flying out of Latrobe on Spirit Airlines, is it really necessary to be at the airport 2 hours early when you live locally.
AND... has a group ever travel spirit and not paid the $10. per seat charge to sit together AND actually been put near each other anyway?
Do they serve a snack... cause although my kids are older they will still look for it... lol!!!
Just flew Spirit, first flight was cancelled, second flight was cancelled, third flight delayed due to fog. You should pay the extra for seat assignments. They told us they over book by 5% If you do not have an assigned seat they take passengers in order of when they check in. If the plane seats 174 people and they have 190 passengers you best hope you have an assigned seat or have arrived early enough to be under the actual number of seats on the plane.

Good luck with Spirit if you have to contact them via phone as it is very hard to understand the dialect of the Indian (dot not feather) on the other end of the phone.
lat

Irwin, PA

#16 Sep 6, 2012
Jan May wrote:
<quoted text>
Just flew Spirit, first flight was cancelled, second flight was cancelled, third flight delayed due to fog. You should pay the extra for seat assignments. They told us they over book by 5% If you do not have an assigned seat they take passengers in order of when they check in. If the plane seats 174 people and they have 190 passengers you best hope you have an assigned seat or have arrived early enough to be under the actual number of seats on the plane.
Good luck with Spirit if you have to contact them via phone as it is very hard to understand the dialect of the Indian (dot not feather) on the other end of the phone.
Where did you fly out of? Latrobe only offers one scheduled flight a day per destination for spirit.
Unity Twp

Greensburg, PA

#17 Nov 12, 2012
I have flown Spirit five times out of Latrobe. Twice flights were delayed, once oversold and once flight cancelled coming home from Myrtle Beach (Spirit waited until 2am to cancel the flight after jerking everyone around for 5 hours). THis was literally the worst experience I have ever had flying and the Spirit staff did not care to provide any customer service at all- quite rude in Myrtle Beach and according to the security at Myrtle, flights are cancelled quite regularly and people are left stranded. Flights are fast but absolutely no frills. You get what you pay for. You cant even get a drink of water for free. Bag charges are excessive and you cant even carry on a piece of luggage without paying. There is absolutely no customer service so dont look to complain or for any assitance. Latrobe does not have agents on staff except for limited hours so good luck calling the customer service #- always an Indian dialect reading from a script. It is definitely cheaper to buy tickets in person at airport- they waive the customer transport fee or something ridiculous they add on when you purchase online. All in all, if you arent on a timeframe or deadline and can afford for your flight to be delayed or cancelled and bumped to another day (only one flight per city goes out each day), then you should be ok. Parking is free and security is FAST. But if you want comfort,reliability, customer service and the ability to talk to an agent who can help you with a problem, go to Pittsburgh.
Sarah

Pittsburgh, PA

#18 Jan 24, 2013
Anyone know if you have to go to the airport during certain hours to buy the ticket in person with Spirit? Thank you.
lat

Punxsutawney, PA

#19 Jan 24, 2013
Sarah wrote:
Anyone know if you have to go to the airport during certain hours to buy the ticket in person with Spirit? Thank you.

You can go anytime as long as they are open. Call first. Its easier to go when they aren't dealing with a flight getting ready to board.
Birdie

Latrobe, PA

#20 Jan 25, 2013
It's true....if you book at the counter its cheaper! They will also advise you 'if you could fly back a day later (or whatever) you could fly for half the price (or whatever).....we've flown many times and have never had a problem! Using Spirit again in late February! Love it and glad to have them in Latrobe!

Someone wrote they paid a $2.00 parking fee to purchase their flights.....parking is free at the airport, so I don't know to whom you paid this money or why??

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Latrobe Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Car Wash West Derry 6 hr sh 6
Trash Mon Language Arts 1 8
Pennsylvania Landlord Tenant Act (Jun '13) Mon Lassleesa 8
Developement at ICI (Aug '09) Sun Sick ofit 12
John Pape (Bucky) Sun Papealison7 1
News Derry Township residents not supportive of trai... (Jun '11) Jan 21 Tom 52
Jioios mold problem Jan 19 cry a river 3

Latrobe Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance