|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 10, 2013

Judged:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php...

There are four pictures of Latrobe in the above link. If you can's see all four, go to the Fifth Ward Latrobe Pennsylvania wall and peruse Latrobe: 100-years-ago.

Look at the foot traffic, the small businesses, the various types of commerce, the street car, the parking -- on both sides of the street!

GASP!

Parking on both sides of Ligonier Street + Street Car?????
Depot looking west

Greensburg, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 10, 2013

Depot looking west too

Greensburg, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 10, 2013

Ligonier looking South

Greensburg, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 10, 2013

Depot looking west 3

Greensburg, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 10, 2013

2nd Sr High School 1926

Greensburg, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 10, 2013

Since: Jan 11

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 10, 2013

Judged:

What was the use of the 2nd and 3rd floors of downtown buildings back in the day? Apartments? Rooming houses?

Just imagine... When these photos were taken around the time of WWI, they were just building many of the homes up on the hill. Unity and Derry townships were nothing but woods, cow pastures and corn fields and _everyone_ worked somewhere in town.
William

Latrobe, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 10, 2013

The rooms upstairs were houses, Latrobe was at one time a well known place to pick up ladies of the evening.
Redneck

Latrobe, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 10, 2013

I'm not sure about this, but wasn't the building across Depot St from the Sun Drug called the Nixon and didn't it catch on fire? Whatever it was called, there was supposedly one entire floor that was an apartment for a wealthy lady when it caught fire. There were supposed to be a lot of antiques in it. Can't remember the lady's name...
1945 Mission Motor Inn

Greensburg, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 10, 2013

Jim Moz wrote:
What was the use of the 2nd and 3rd floors of downtown buildings back in the day? Apartments? Rooming houses?
Just imagine... When these photos were taken around the time of WWI, they were just building many of the homes up on the hill. Unity and Derry townships were nothing but woods, cow pastures and corn fields and _everyone_ worked somewhere in town.
Jim Moz, you're exactly right.

The notorious Ober Building on Main Street had a street-level office for Dr. Ober and an apartment upstairs for his family.

Many of the professionals built their own buildings and their families lives upstairs -- and they had renters, too (or "help" living in).

Yes, there were boarding rooms, downtown, and rooming houses.

A person, could get a room, work part-time, and still be able to buy a beer, walk to church, and get a meal at a diner. Even young couples just married took a room when they first started out, to save money.
Auld Pharte

Brookville, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 10, 2013

Redneck wrote:
I'm not sure about this, but wasn't the building across Depot St from the Sun Drug called the Nixon and didn't it catch on fire? Whatever it was called, there was supposedly one entire floor that was an apartment for a wealthy lady when it caught fire. There were supposed to be a lot of antiques in it. Can't remember the lady's name...
Not Nixon Hotel, Miller Hotel. The Nixon was at the corner of Jefferson and Main.
1945 Mission Motor Inn

Greensburg, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 10, 2013

Redneck wrote:
Well, there's a story to research. There's always the Bulletins on microfiche at the library, and the "dead base" at the library...

and see?

Redneck and Moz?

There were living spaces downtown for people of all income levels and all classes and it was a thriving, cohesive town.

And that's what it needs again -- mixed housing, upper middle income lofts and highrises and condos!
Latrobe Res

Latrobe, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 10, 2013

If the owner of the Loyal Hotel were smart he would put condo's in the under floors of his building or lofts apt. Latrobe has a real need for these and his building would fit the bill.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 10, 2013

1945 Mission Motor Inn wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, there's a story to research. There's always the Bulletins on microfiche at the library, and the "dead base" at the library...
and see?
It was the Miller Hotel. Before my time, but I've heard my Dad talk about it.
Redneck and Moz?

There were living spaces downtown for people of all income levels and all classes and it was a thriving, cohesive town.

And that's what it needs again -- mixed housing, upper middle income lofts and highrises and condos!
It will never be like that again. Even if the downtown is one day cleaned up and revitalized to some extent, there will never be luxury apartments. Nothing other than senior and possibly some subsidized low income housing. Nobody wants to live in an apartment in a small town.

In 1919 virtually nobody had a car. All the jobs were in town and you _had_ to live in town or else ride your horse or walk miles to get to work. We're so far from that reality (and have been for at least 60 years) that it will never happen again.

Latrobe's population will continue to dwindle and continue to age and consist of more elderly. There will be more and more vacant lots as old, abandoned houses are torn down and nothing is rebuilt in their place. The streets, the sidewalks, all city infrastructure will continue to crumble as the tax base goes downhill.

If you want to see something incredible, go to bing maps and the Hill District in Pittsburgh, just above Pitt, and check out the birdseye (aerial photo) view. There are some streets that once had 40, 50 or more homes that now have just five or six houses remaining on the entire block. I suspect sections of Latrobe will look like that in another thirty years.
Redneck

Latrobe, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 10, 2013

Regarding the renovation and/or building of rooming houses in Latrobe...

Where are the jobs for people to earn enough to live in them?

Can you imagine the expense of renovating the Hotel Loyal? Meeting the building codes and paying for material today would be astronomical. Then consider heating/air conditioning the place. How much would have to be charged for rent to compensate for the renovations?

I don't know how many people employed by Marcellus Shale would be candidates for tenants since they seem to be the only source of new gainful employment in the area...but would they want to live in wonderful downtown Latrobe the way it is today?
Redneck

Latrobe, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 10, 2013

You're right Moz. Take a look at Detroit and see what it has turned into. Another industrial wasteland thanks to globalization and offshoring jobs.

I too am in the market for relocating away from Latrobe for the very reasons you mentioned. As much as I am tied to the area and call it home, there comes a time when one has to realize it isn't the home it once was and staying becomes more of a peril than a pleasure. Safety and security give way to crime and an uneasy feeling even when in one's own home. That's no way to live out one's final years.

Even though every city has felt the ravages of unemployment and global competition, there are many cities that have much more to offer than Latrobe in both healthy activity and security. The only reason people of average means stay here is because they don't know what exists outside of the area. They live like Platos cave people who only know the shadows on the cave walls.
Jim Moz wrote:
<quoted text>
It was the Miller Hotel. Before my time, but I've heard my Dad talk about it.
<quoted text>
It will never be like that again. Even if the downtown is one day cleaned up and revitalized to some extent, there will never be luxury apartments. Nothing other than senior and possibly some subsidized low income housing. Nobody wants to live in an apartment in a small town.
In 1919 virtually nobody had a car. All the jobs were in town and you _had_ to live in town or else ride your horse or walk miles to get to work. We're so far from that reality (and have been for at least 60 years) that it will never happen again.

Latrobe's population will continue to dwindle and continue to age and consist of more elderly. There will be more and more vacant lots as old, abandoned houses are torn down and nothing is rebuilt in their place. The streets, the sidewalks, all city infrastructure will continue to crumble as the tax base goes downhill.
If you want to see something incredible, go to bing maps and the Hill District in Pittsburgh, just above Pitt, and check out the birdseye (aerial photo) view. There are some streets that once had 40, 50 or more homes that now have just five or six houses remaining on the entire block. I suspect sections of Latrobe will look like that in another thirty years.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 10, 2013

Red, I see a patio home in your future.
Redneck

Davison, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 10, 2013

Jim Moz wrote:
Red, I see a patio home in your future.
Yes, but where? That is the question...
geea

Irwin, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 11, 2013

Please post photo,s on Topix,for those of us that do not have Facebook.
1945 Mission Motor Inn

Greensburg, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 11, 2013

geea wrote:
Please post photo,s on Topix,for those of us that do not have Facebook.
Doesn't anything show when you click on the links above? If not, I can try posting the photos, but not for a day or two...

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 20 of32
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

12 Users are viewing the Latrobe Forum right now

Search the Latrobe Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Joes store 3 hr Yondi 4
PA Who do you support for Governor in Pennsylvania... (Oct '10) 11 hr Roger the Racist 51,162
PA Who do you support for U.S. Senate in Pennsylva... (Oct '10) 11 hr Roger the Racist 3,796
Should terms of teacher contracts be public ? 17 hr Uncle George 14
old timers league (Apr '12) 18 hr I play for Bovard 8
Action Hardware building (Nov '13) 18 hr NoName 30
25 year old girl found dead in Dr's home (Sep '12) Sun AT A LOSS 272
•••
•••
•••
•••

Latrobe Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••