5WR -- Latrobe Mellon Bank / Quatrini...

5WR -- Latrobe Mellon Bank / Quatrini Rafferty Building

Posted in the Latrobe Forum

“Won't you touch my sweater”

Since: Sep 10

Latrobe, PA

#1 Jan 19, 2011
Today, 1/19/2011, I gave myself an adventure. I set up an afternoon of going to downtown Latrobe on a bus, for appointments, shopping, and exploration.

I walked into the bank area of the old Mellon Bank building, and it remains a grand space, worthy of events, a fine restaurant -- the the "vault" for a private table and the lock-boxes for everyone's private bottle of Great Growth Bordeaux.

The stenciled ceiling is still in-tact, the marble floor remains. this could be the space for public speeches by local dignitaries, like the ones I attended at San Francisco's Olympic Club.

I remember this elegant space from my youth; although there has been a "build out" for offices, that could easily be removed and that last remaining "grand old" are of Latrobe, restored to elegance for dining, receptions, a wine bar, public "formal" events!

Latrobe, PA

#2 Jan 19, 2011
Maybe it was SF's Pacific Club. It's been seven-years. I think it was the Pacific Club, Nob Hill.

Latrobe, PA

#3 Jan 19, 2011
Maybe even a once-a-month "supper" club with catered dining, and a cash bar, and a band for dancing!

Roving parties like these were so much fun in SF, some parties were dressy, some were sex-clubs, but there was something for everyone, and the venue changed all the time.

Here, the same idea could apply, but just happen only once-a-month. Men in suits. Women in dinner suits, flouncy dinner dresses? sounds wonderful to me!
JoJo

Pittsburgh, PA

#4 Jan 26, 2011
5th Ward Resident wrote:
Maybe it was SF's Pacific Club. It's been seven-years. I think it was the Pacific Club, Nob Hill.
Uh, yeah. NOT the Olympic Club you nit wit.

Latrobe, PA

#5 Jan 27, 2011
JoJo wrote:
Uh, yeah. NOT the Olympic Club you nit wit.
Olympic, Pacific: christ I'm drinking brown tap water in Latrobe, PA, no wonder I can't remember something dignified from my prior life?
1 Asterisk

Latrobe, PA

#6 Jan 27, 2011
WHO CARES??? You are pathetic..
Mr Baluh

Latrobe, PA

#7 Jan 27, 2011
I still hate you!

Latrobe, PA

#8 Jan 27, 2011
Mr Baluh wrote:
I still hate you!
Mr. Baluh. I still loves you ;-)

Latrobe, PA

#9 Jan 27, 2011
1 Asterisk wrote:
WHO CARES??? You are pathetic..
Have you been inside the beauytiful old building in downtown Latrobe? have you seen the stenciled ceiling beams? the marble floors, the original vault from the 1920s?

It's a great and dignified space, worthy of the finest presentations in Latrobe.

Someone with your wisecracks, though, probably lives in a trailer and has never been in a space so beautiful and grand!

-----The library has books on architecture. Maybe you should check out a book -- woth da big photos -- sometime, you know, a big "picture book"

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Latrobe Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Latrobe Midget Football (Aug '09) 10 hr Too 164
another OD 17 hr Five Oh 22
Knupp and Schofield country cottage 22 hr bones 7
Poll Latrobe Mayor Tom Marflak How would you rate him (Feb '08) 23 hr I Rest My Case 427
Best pizza? (Sep '14) Mon calluout 33
Latrobe Steel for Sale Mon LMFAO 12
Why is the Fountain Not On This Year May 31 Big John 2
More from around the web

Latrobe People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]