Dan

Pittsburgh, PA

#61 Feb 27, 2008
true facts wrote:
<quoted text>
I am not denying what happend in the past and never tried to...I am simply stating what I know about the current situation.
I let my emotions get the best of me by responding to your closed-minded comments. I have read some of your other posts on other forums. You seem to be an unhappy person that will find anything to complain about. I am done arguing with you now, as I have a life. Perhaps you should do the same.
P.S. Who cares about OJ Simpson???
Do you know me personally? If not how can you judge me?(Sound familiar?)

Because you are so concerned, I am extremely happy.
miss a history landmark

Pittsburgh, PA

#62 Feb 27, 2008
id like to hear more local memories of past times @ sleepy hollow and th history. mary, i loved your report.
I remember

United States

#63 Feb 27, 2008
miss a history landmark wrote:
id like to hear more local memories of past times @ sleepy hollow and th history. mary, i loved your report.
Does anyone remember the Wednesday night dances? What a great party for the middle of the week.
friends

Jackson Center, PA

#64 Feb 27, 2008
Jason

Mentcle, PA

#65 Feb 27, 2008
Too bad all you people with all these great memories didn't go there more often. Maybe it would still be here and not sitting in ruins.
good memories

Pittsburgh, PA

#66 Feb 27, 2008
now jason. did YOU really go every day from shelocta?
Fond Memories

Woodland, PA

#67 Feb 27, 2008
I am sorry... I understand alot of the speculation on this board is "negative", but give me a BREAK... the place has been setting vacant for weeks... then the "Century 21 Sale" signs go up... and that same night WHOOOOSHHH--up in flames. C'mon... really... it doesn't take a genius.
Yes, you are right... I personally have NO idea who this Charles "Chippy" Santone and partner-Lisa S. are... but, it is VERY shady and you have to expect the community/locals to speculate and assume the worse when a Historical Landmark just goes up in flames for no apparent reason.
The State Police have stated that it is suspicious, ummmm... no, really??? It smells fraudulent and looks it too... and until they come back and say that it was "accidental"... we are all going to assume the worse!
Now, can we please just all try to get along, and if you can't say something nice... then don't post!
Jason

Mentcle, PA

#68 Feb 27, 2008
good memories wrote:
now jason. did YOU really go every day from shelocta?
I don't live in shelocta I live in Ligonier and even once a month woul dhave helped them.
Ted

Kittanning, PA

#69 Feb 27, 2008
Fond Memories wrote:
I am sorry... I understand alot of the speculation on this board is "negative", but give me a BREAK... the place has been setting vacant for weeks... then the "Century 21 Sale" signs go up... and that same night WHOOOOSHHH--up in flames. C'mon... really... it doesn't take a genius.
Yes, you are right... I personally have NO idea who this Charles "Chippy" Santone and partner-Lisa S. are... but, it is VERY shady and you have to expect the community/locals to speculate and assume the worse when a Historical Landmark just goes up in flames for no apparent reason.
The State Police have stated that it is suspicious, ummmm... no, really??? It smells fraudulent and looks it too... and until they come back and say that it was "accidental"... we are all going to assume the worse!
Now, can we please just all try to get along, and if you can't say something nice... then don't post!
You people need to read the newspaper, Charles "Chippy" Santone didn't even own the place at the time of this fire. The bank had already reposed it two months ago. Gesh this is how things like this get started people that don't have any idea what they are talking about. The bank sure in hell wasn't going to burn the place down.
Ted

Kittanning, PA

#70 Feb 27, 2008
Santone and Stickney comprise L&C Enterprises, which lost the bar in November in a sheriff's sale after Apex Mortgage of Fort Washington, Pa., foreclosed on the building. L&C Enterprises owes Apex more than $511,000, according to Westmoreland County Court records. The building recently had been put up for sale.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/tribunereview...
Confused

Seward, PA

#71 Feb 27, 2008
Please someone explain :
How was the Hollow open until about 6 weeks before the fire? How did the Hollow operate daily without a liquor license? If the Hollow was in a sheriff's sale in November how was Chip running it with bands playing there, including 6 weeks ago and New Years Eve? 6 weeks ago they were using port-a-potties outside since the septic was not working. I personally did not eat there with the brown water coming out of the faucets in the restrooms imagine the water in the kitchen???

I will definitely miss the Hollow, at least I have great memories!!!
was there

Seward, PA

#72 Feb 28, 2008
Ted,
The Hollow was open January 5th and serving drinks. They closed early because the Steelers lost to Jacksonville and most of the crowd left. I was there so I know first hand. Sometime afterwards it closed for good but a white GM SUV kept showing up there that matched Chip's to a "T" until last Saturday when it was seen there by a passerby and called into police after the fire had been reported 15 minutes later. I pass there every day and have personally seen that SUV there, once up on jack stands with all 4 wheels removed. None of this is rumor, all are eye witness accounts, mostly mine except for the one last Saturday. If that really was Chippy's SUV then what was it doing there when he didn't own the place any more? I'm sure he wasn't there just to remember the good times. He was picked up by the cops two days ago so the cops evidently think he knows something about the fire or, they suspect him of starting it. Nothing has been released yet so we won't know until it is. Whether he did it or not will be found out over time but you have to admit, the presence of an SUV that is identical to his in every way at The Hollow, after it was closed down, so many times and then being spotted there 15 minutes before the fire was reported has to make you wonder.
true facts

Greensburg, PA

#73 Feb 28, 2008
was there wrote:
Ted,
The Hollow was open January 5th and serving drinks. They closed early because the Steelers lost to Jacksonville and most of the crowd left. I was there so I know first hand. Sometime afterwards it closed for good but a white GM SUV kept showing up there that matched Chip's to a "T" until last Saturday when it was seen there by a passerby and called into police after the fire had been reported 15 minutes later. I pass there every day and have personally seen that SUV there, once up on jack stands with all 4 wheels removed. None of this is rumor, all are eye witness accounts, mostly mine except for the one last Saturday. If that really was Chippy's SUV then what was it doing there when he didn't own the place any more? I'm sure he wasn't there just to remember the good times. He was picked up by the cops two days ago so the cops evidently think he knows something about the fire or, they suspect him of starting it. Nothing has been released yet so we won't know until it is. Whether he did it or not will be found out over time but you have to admit, the presence of an SUV that is identical to his in every way at The Hollow, after it was closed down, so many times and then being spotted there 15 minutes before the fire was reported has to make you wonder.
You are correct in saying that Chip's vehicle was parked at The Hollow for the last several weeks. He was still living up-stairs of the bar until very recently. As far as seeing the vehicle there 15 minutes before the fire...I have heard so many different stories, one being that there was a white van parked there, another that there was a car there...I dont know what to believe!

As far as him being picked up by the police, he was picked up on a bench warrant for violating his probation for criminal tax convictions, not for the fire.
NewsSurfr

Saint Petersburg, FL

#74 Feb 28, 2008
Former Hollow Tavern owner taken to prison
By Richard Gazarik
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Thursday, February 28, 2008

The former operator of a landmark bar/restaurant in Unity that was destroyed in a weekend fire was arrested Tuesday for violating his probation on criminal tax convictions.
Agents from the Attorney General's Office took Charles "Chip" Santone, 60, into custody on a bench warrant for failing to appear at a probation revocation hearing in Harrisburg on Dec. 18, according to court records.

He is being held in the Westmoreland County Prison, according to Warden John Walton. He will be transferred to Dauphin County where the bench warrant was issued.

Santone had been operating The Hollow Tavern, a Route 30 bar and restaurant along Loyalhanna Creek. The blaze started late Saturday night.
Sad to See it Go

Greensburg, PA

#75 Feb 28, 2008
Hi...just FYI, there's more to that article from the Trib:

Santone's arrest stems from his failure to pay more than $117,000 in restitution after his guilty plea in 1997 to 42 counts of willful failure to pay sales taxes, failure to file tax returns, failure to pay state income taxes and operating a business without a sales tax license.
He was sentenced to two years in prison and three years' probation. Santone also must pay $358,691 in back taxes, according to Stephanie Weyant, a spokeswoman for the Department of Revenue.
Santone has paid only $4,880 in restitution since 2006, according to court records.
Santone and a partner, Lisa Stickney, operated The Hollow Tavern until recently. The bar was ordered closed last summer after Liquor Control Enforcement agents discovered it was operating without a liquor license.
The license expired in June and never was transferred from the previous owner, Bazana Enterprises.
Santone and Stickney comprise L&C Enterprises, which lost the bar in November in a sheriff's sale after Apex Mortgage of Fort Washington, Pa., foreclosed on the building. L&C Enterprises owes Apex more than $511,000, according to Westmoreland County Court records. The building recently had been put up for sale.
Investigators from the state police and Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Fire and Explosives, have been combing through the rubble for several days trying to determine the cause of the fire.
Agents and firefighters, using portable saws, removed chunks of wood from the building's interior and gathered other evidence as part of their probe.
Richard Gazarik
Sad patron

Irwin, PA

#76 Feb 28, 2008
I personally know one former employee that Chip owed at least $600 in wages to that he never paid.

I also know someone who Chip solicted for cocaine.

When someone is like that, it's really hard to not think that they set the place on fire.
NewsSurfr

Saint Petersburg, FL

#77 Feb 28, 2008
"Sad to See it Go", in Greensburg, I thought by reading the headline in my reply that anyone interested in reading that little bit of information would know how to find their way to the TRIBUNE-REVIEW online. Anyway, I'm not a big fan of (cut and paste) very long news stories that waste valuable byte-space. I know the rest of the article was below the ad-space, but if you had been reading all the previous replies you would have known the rest of it was "old news" to most of us. But, thanks for adding your info.:-)
Sad to See it Go

Greensburg, PA

#78 Feb 28, 2008
Sorry, I just figured there might be some obviously clueless people out there who don't realize there is more to an article underneath the advertiement (as I have done myself a few times...yep, like I said, clueless). Sometimes fast readers miss the little details!:)
NewsSurfr

Saint Petersburg, FL

#79 Feb 28, 2008
It's very sad this particular topic is becoming sooo beleagered. But, reading (all the replies) to this topic kept me interested.
Sad to See it Go

Greensburg, PA

#80 Feb 28, 2008
You're so right...it has become beleaguered. Let's all just hope they are able to determine who or what caused the fire soon, so those who are upset can finally put it to rest. I know personally, I can't believe it's gone! I was a regular patron there and have so many fond memories of the place. Hopefully someone will purchase the property and rebuild something even better!:)

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Latrobe Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
PA Who do you support for Governor in Pennsylvania... (Oct '10) 15 min Tony 51,456
What happened at route 30 Taco Bell 23 min Regis 16
PA Who do you support for U.S. Senate in Pennsylva... (Oct '10) 16 hr Fast Eddie 3,992
PA Who do you support for Lieutenant Governor in P... (Oct '10) 18 hr Jeremy 183
Should Open Burning be Outlawed in Derry (Sep '09) 18 hr THE GREEN WATCHDOG 76
Gibson Thomas Building 23 hr Jim Moz 5
Eastern Derry Fire Company ??? Mon Blow it out your ... 160
•••
•••
•••

Latrobe Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••
•••

Latrobe People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Latrobe News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Latrobe
•••

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]
•••