Since: Jan 11

Bowling Green, KY

#1 Jan 18, 2011
Anyone remember this? Looking for any information. When did it close? Why?
Potsie lee

United States

#2 Jan 18, 2011
I remember that. I know people who have worked there all their lives.
I think it closed somewhere around 1990 ???
Rumor has it that the two individuals that bought the place were two business people looking for an investment. They bought it for cheap, let it run to the ground, taking pension moneys.
This is what ive heard. How true it is????
Obamanation

Latrobe, PA

#3 Jan 18, 2011
I was just out of high school for less then a year (1991) and as part of my job at the time, I went over there and met with their Purchasing Agent, trying to pursue business. The very next day, sometime in late 1991 (I think), they closed without warning. They closed because of Union problems (imagine that) and the company faced fines for breaking the rules regarding how they decided to close the place nad layoff the workers. They had a militant bunch of Union Moron workers, so the fines where cheaper then following the rules because those Union idiots would have destroyed the place. Had they followed the rules, the dimwit union workers probably would have burnt the place to the ground.
Nosmo King

Latrobe, PA

#4 Jan 18, 2011
Obamanation wrote:
I was just out of high school for less then a year (1991) and as part of my job at the time, I went over there and met with their Purchasing Agent, trying to pursue business. The very next day, sometime in late 1991 (I think), they closed without warning. They closed because of Union problems (imagine that) and the company faced fines for breaking the rules regarding how they decided to close the place nad layoff the workers. They had a militant bunch of Union Moron workers, so the fines where cheaper then following the rules because those Union idiots would have destroyed the place. Had they followed the rules, the dimwit union workers probably would have burnt the place to the ground.
They tried to burn the place down in 1979. It was an ugly strike ! They turned over cars and burnt them ,also they assaulted state police officers,and held company officals hostage.

“Won't you touch my sweater”

Since: Sep 10

Latrobe, PA

#5 Jan 18, 2011
Nosmo King wrote:
<quoted text>They tried to burn the place down in 1979. It was an ugly strike ! They turned over cars and burnt them ,also they assaulted state police officers,and held company officals hostage.
Wasn't Nosmo King on the afternoon kids show, "Paul Shannon"?

Latrobe, PA

#6 Jan 18, 2011
The title of Paul Shannon's Pittsburgh, Pa. based comedy/variety kids TV show was "Adventuretime". On that show, Shannon played many comedic characters and performed magic tricks (as his silent magician character: "The Great Mysto"), worked with a loudmouth puppet character known as "Lippy The Leprechan". Performed bizarre pantomime comedy skits as "Nosmo King" (a wild looking hippie that sported a top coat, dark glasses, a fedora hat, gloves and a beard), engaged his studio audiences and his viewers in games, stories, craft making hobbies, informational segments and interviews with guest performers, personalities and with kids in the studio audience. Beginning at "The Holiday House Hotel and Nightclub" in Monroeville, Pennsylvania (a suburb of Pittsburgh), "Adventuretime" was patterned after WABD/WNEW/WNYW TV Ch. 5 NYC's "Wonderama"

-----Now back to the topic
Nosmo King

Latrobe, PA

#7 Jan 18, 2011
5th Ward Resident wrote:
<quoted text>
Wasn't Nosmo King on the afternoon kids show, "Paul Shannon"?
Yes !
Reubliturds

Latrobe, PA

#8 Jan 18, 2011
Obamanation wrote:
Now we all work for 6 dollars an hour at walmart at best. I am sure Sarah and Her crosshair cronies will "fix" Amorika.
Reubliturds

Latrobe, PA

#9 Jan 18, 2011
Nosmo King wrote:
<quoted text>They tried to burn the place down in 1979. It was an ugly strike ! They turned over cars and burnt them ,also they assaulted state police officers,and held company officals hostage.
Who told you that ?? Glen Beck ??? I remember the strike and thats not how it happened. Sounds like more republican dribble to turn working class men against each other.
Ronald McKernan

Latrobe, PA

#10 Jan 18, 2011
Reubliturds wrote:
<quoted text>
Now we all work for 6 dollars an hour at walmart at best. I am sure Sarah and Her crosshair cronies will "fix" Amorika.
You were told to get some marketable skills, but you chose not to. It's your fault.
Nosmo King

Latrobe, PA

#11 Jan 18, 2011
Reubliturds wrote:
<quoted text>
Who told you that ?? Glen Beck ??? I remember the strike and thats not how it happened. Sounds like more republican dribble to turn working class men against each other.
I worked there in 1979. I was one of the ( dimwit moron union workers ). The morons were the elected union officers. They ruined the place.Half of them are dead now. I voted for the union but it was a better place to work for without one.BTW I did not participate in the outrageous activities that others did. I was out looking for another Job !

Latrobe, PA

#12 Jan 18, 2011
I think the strikes of the late 1970s, were "performace" pieces that the union guys learned in junior high school. I don't mean that in a condescending way.

I simply mean that the "real" violent strikes of the 1930s, 1940s, 1950s, had been solved, mostly by the 1960s "peace movement" and "labor rights" groups being formed, since the Unions had been "outted" at crooked, in the 1960s, early 70s. Now, all unions do is protect a perosn's job, but STATE and FEDERAL laws protect a person's rights while at the job. So, who needs unions? now? unless one wants to stay at the same job for 40-years, and no one wants to do that, whom I know!

BTQ: Where is Jimmy Hoffa?
Nosmo King

Latrobe, PA

#13 Jan 19, 2011
5th Ward Resident wrote:
I think the strikes of the late 1970s, were "performace" pieces that the union guys learned in junior high school. I don't mean that in a condescending way.
I simply mean that the "real" violent strikes of the 1930s, 1940s, 1950s, had been solved, mostly by the 1960s "peace movement" and "labor rights" groups being formed, since the Unions had been "outted" at crooked, in the 1960s, early 70s. Now, all unions do is protect a perosn's job, but STATE and FEDERAL laws protect a person's rights while at the job. So, who needs unions? now? unless one wants to stay at the same job for 40-years, and no one wants to do that, whom I know!
This is the history of Giant Stadium - The Jimmy Hoffa urban legend - For some years, a popular urban legend purported that the remains of Jimmy Hoffa, whose disappearance coincided with construction of the stadium, had been buried under one of the end zones at the field.[12] This led Sports Illustrated to suggest that this "takes on special meaning when a punter goes for the 'coffin corner.'"[13] In a similar vein, sportscaster Marv Albert once said that a team was "kicking towards the Hoffa end of the field." This was tested by the Discovery Channel show Mythbusters, and they were unable to find any sign of a body.
Well

Pittsburgh, PA

#14 Jan 19, 2011
Obamanation wrote:
So the day after you pursued business there,they closed?What's your line of work SCUMBAG?
Well

Pittsburgh, PA

#15 Jan 19, 2011
5th Ward Resident wrote:
Tell us about your job.
From Oakville

Irwin, PA

#16 Jan 19, 2011
JFM225 wrote:
Anyone remember this? Looking for any information. When did it close? Why?
It was purchased by Pace Industries and later closed down in 1992 and all the equipment they wanted was quickly removed and sent to one of their plants down south.

Latrobe, PA

#18 Jan 19, 2011
Well wrote:
Tell us about your job.
My Dad was a machinist at Kennametal, Latrobe, PA, and was hired in by Phillip MdKenna, in 1940 or so. The Pittsburgh and Johnstown strikes were very hard back then, and there was violence, even in little Latrobe. I never looked into a mill job; just not my kind of work.

Once, my father's car had a 5-gallon bucket of paint dumped on it, because he just happened to time his heart attack, three-days before the strike began, and some assholes didn't like that he was earning disability for a heart-attack, while they were earning nothing or unemployment.

Do you work in a mill?

If yes, may I suggest you learn how to network computers, instead?
Frank

Mount Blanchard, OH

#19 Jan 20, 2011
From Oakville wrote:
<quoted text> It was purchased by Pace Industries and later closed down in 1992 and all the equipment they wanted was quickly removed and sent to one of their plants down south.
Thats exactly what happened. Pace industries bought it and took all the work and machines to Harrison Arkansas. Thats what they did Latrobe Die casting wasn't the only place they did that to thats how they grew. They needed some of the bigger machines to cast grills which they still make today and I think they still have most of the work they stole from there Black and Decker was one.
Frank

Verona, KY

#20 Jan 22, 2011
By the way this is the same company that owns Airo Die Casting today. They bought Airo in 1996 I think.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Latrobe Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Whitney driver charged in fatal DUI (Jul '12) 5 hr fact talk 344
Drug Bust in Sheetz Parking lot 5 hr JanetC 11
DUI Task Force 5 hr CuriousCitizen 9
Dexters Deck In trouble with the Law 13 hr Uncle George 7
Anytime fitness latrobe 23 hr Todd 3
welfare Sun Tax payer 4
cop Sun Latrobe resident 2

Flood Watch for Westmoreland County was issued at March 03 at 1:22PM EST

Latrobe Dating
Find my Match