of 8
Next Last

5th Ward Resident

“Won't you touch my sweater”

Since: Sep 10

Latrobe, PA

#1 Jan 8, 2011
Here's a good question:

50-years ago, the Rogers-McFeeley family/foundation contributed a lot to Latrobe. The RM Foundation still exists, but no longer contributes to Latrobe.

-----Maybe this "kind" family does not want to support the antics that now go on in the town?

-----Maybe this "kind" family knows that spending money in Latrobe is futile, given the current leadership, etc?

-----When was that fountain built? that was the last contribution the foundation made to the town, yes? That was constructed in the 1980s?

Don't say Mr. Rogers died, so there's no money left, that's now how wealth works. His family's MILLIONS are sitting in that Foundation to help people.

hmmmm...

5th Ward Resident

Latrobe, PA

#2 Jan 8, 2011
It seems that the Rogers family foundation has SHIFTED its support from Latrobe to St. Vincent. That's a big loss for the town of Latrobe. Why did that happen?

Advisory Council

Members of the Fred Rogers Center Advisory Council are distinguished national leaders in the fields of early learning and childrenÂ’s media. The Advisors provide guidance and expert advice in planning and program development for the Rogers Center. Most of the Advisors knew Fred Rogers professionally and personally.

Joanne Rogers
Honorary Chair

Everette E. Dennis, Ph.D.
Chair

Felix E. Larkin Distinguished Professor, Fordham University

David Bianculli
TV Critic, National Public Radio

Barbara T. Bowman
Professor and Co-Founder, Erikson Institute
Chief Officer, Early Childhood Education, Chicago Public Schools

Milton Chen, Ph.D.
Senior Fellow, The George Lucas Educational Foundation

Nancy E. Curry, Ph.D.
Professor Emeritus, University of Pittsburgh

Joseph F. Dominic, Ph.D.
Former Director of Education Program, The Heinz Endowments

Ellen Galinsky
President and Co-Founder, Families and Work Institute

David Hartman
Television Producer

Br. Norman W. Hipps, O.S.B.
President, Saint Vincent College

William H. Isler
President, The Fred Rogers Company

Rt. Rev. Douglas R. Nowicki, O.S.B., Ph.D.
Chancellor, Saint Vincent College

James R. Okonak
Executive Director, McFeely-Rogers Foundation

Margaret M. Petruska
Senior Program Director, Children, Youth & Families Program, The Heinz Endowments

James J. Ragan, Ph.D.
Poet/ Retired Director Master of Professional Writing Program, University of Southern California, Los Angeles

Michael Rich, MD, MPH
Founder and Director, Center on Media and Child Health, Children's Hospital Boston

Josh Selig
Founder and President, Little Airplane Productions

Jane Werner
Executive Director, Children's Museum of Pittsburgh

Robert C. Wilburn, Ph.D.
Former President and Chief Executive Officer, Gettysburg Foundation

James F. Will
President Emeritus, Saint Vincent College

5th Ward Resident

Latrobe, PA

#3 Jan 8, 2011
Okonak is in charge of a $15,000,000, foundation.

That's a good chunk of change!
SVC

West Mifflin, PA

#4 Jan 9, 2011
5th Ward Resident wrote:
It seems that the Rogers family foundation has SHIFTED its support from Latrobe to St. Vincent. That's a big loss for the town of Latrobe. Why did that happen?
Advisory Council
Members of the Fred Rogers Center Advisory Council are distinguished national leaders in the fields of early learning and childrenÂ’s media. The Advisors provide guidance and expert advice in planning and program development for the Rogers Center. Most of the Advisors knew Fred Rogers professionally and personally.
Joanne Rogers
Honorary Chair
Everette E. Dennis, Ph.D.
Chair
Felix E. Larkin Distinguished Professor, Fordham University
David Bianculli
TV Critic, National Public Radio
Barbara T. Bowman
Professor and Co-Founder, Erikson Institute
Chief Officer, Early Childhood Education, Chicago Public Schools
Milton Chen, Ph.D.
Senior Fellow, The George Lucas Educational Foundation
Nancy E. Curry, Ph.D.
Professor Emeritus, University of Pittsburgh
Joseph F. Dominic, Ph.D.
Former Director of Education Program, The Heinz Endowments
Ellen Galinsky
President and Co-Founder, Families and Work Institute
David Hartman
Television Producer
Br. Norman W. Hipps, O.S.B.
President, Saint Vincent College
William H. Isler
President, The Fred Rogers Company
Rt. Rev. Douglas R. Nowicki, O.S.B., Ph.D.
Chancellor, Saint Vincent College
James R. Okonak
Executive Director, McFeely-Rogers Foundation
Margaret M. Petruska
Senior Program Director, Children, Youth & Families Program, The Heinz Endowments
James J. Ragan, Ph.D.
Poet/ Retired Director Master of Professional Writing Program, University of Southern California, Los Angeles
Michael Rich, MD, MPH
Founder and Director, Center on Media and Child Health, Children's Hospital Boston
Josh Selig
Founder and President, Little Airplane Productions
Jane Werner
Executive Director, Children's Museum of Pittsburgh
Robert C. Wilburn, Ph.D.
Former President and Chief Executive Officer, Gettysburg Foundation
James F. Will
President Emeritus, Saint Vincent College
Technically, SVC is part of Latrobe and probably a pretty big reason this town gets a little bit of business (2000 extra drinking, eating, and shopping consumers). I think that they probably focused on SVC because education is very important and perhpas if we educated people we can better the world around us? The Rogers Center is for education majors mainly (but is open for events for other majors) and they hold many events there such as lectures, conventions, display of senior theses, etc. My only guess is that the foundation figured their money would be spent better there then in the actual town. It probably does more good at SVC. Just a thought, not an argument.
Redneck

Latrobe, PA

#5 Jan 9, 2011
A generation ago, the local mill owner's did a lot to help the town. Almost all of the families from the saxman's to the Titos were involved in contributing to the town's betterment. Much of it was anonymous.

As the plant's changed hands to overseas owners and the families dies out or left, so did the money stream that fueled the town's progress...in may ways.

Whoever controls 15 million dollars earmarked for a small town can have a lot of influence. However, it is their right to spend the money as they see fit. But when a town is so strpped that it depends on contributions from benfactors outside the tax pool, then that influence can become even greater.

Such benefactors can exert influence in many ways. Just as much as to what they want built, but what they can prevent from being done because the funding they possess that was once there no longer is there. That can effect the quality of health care in the area, as well as recreational facilities, new businesses, and community projects.

And as the tax base erodes, incomes drop, spending decreases, and costs go up...we become more like serfs than citizens.
nosmoking

Latrobe, PA

#6 Jan 9, 2011
It's all about Okonak ! He runs the show.

5th Ward Resident

Latrobe, PA

#7 Jan 9, 2011
Redneck wrote:
A generation ago, the local mill owner's did a lot to help the town. Almost all of the families from the saxman's to the Titos were involved in contributing to the town's betterment. Much of it was anonymous.
While at Berkeley, I read a PITT students Ph.D. dissertation, I had it sent to CAL) that examined how the wealthy Pittsburgh familes funded the playground system in Pittsburgh to teach [the poor little peasant-children] socialization skills and health and cleanliness skills.

This was why there were enormous playgrounds and after-school and summer activites in Pittsburgh, because the wives of the Steel Magnates -- actually cared -- and wanted to contribute to the little children of the men feeding their husbands' fortunes.

That Latrobe's original mill owners functioned the same way, makes sense.

But, now why not?

Why are there no playgrounds in all the wards for the kids in the summers? A playground staff does NOT cost much, and the town won't pay for it anyway!!!!

Why not keep the health and socialization programs for the little mill urchins going? Who stopped these programs, and why?

-----I'll write the grants to get this system back in place. Isn't there a woman in charge of the Unity-Latrobe athletic system? Where's she?

-----Why does Latrobe NOT have a Boys & Girls club? for the winter months?

-----Why is there not a centralized after school day care for kids up to 12-years old with after school activities? for all the "poor hardworking parents, single parents" in Latrobe?

When a local foundation has $15,000,000, and "chooses" to attach itself to St. Vincent, which has 2,000, students who contribute to Sharkey's and Unity township (not Latrobe, let's get real, folks),

-----why hasn't this foundation been "tapped" by the City? been "tapped" by the Parks and Recreation woman?

-----It's going to get "tapped" by me this year, for the programs above ;-)

5th Ward Resident

Latrobe, PA

#8 Jan 9, 2011
nosmoking wrote:
He probably pays himself a good $200,000, to run that fund. That would be a fair rate of pay for over-seeing that fund.

Wasn't his family the owners of a little car dealership?

How did the child of a car dealership end up in charge of a $15,000,000, fund of the Rogers-McFeeley family?

I've looked at his resume, it's solid, but,

-----why has this foundation NOT developed Latrobe's HEALTH? and CHILDREN?

-----why has this Foundation not take "the first step" to remediate the land of Standard Steel?

-----why, at the city council meeting I attended, 3/2008, was it doling out a little bit of money for a playground gazebo or something? and not "contributing" to all the wards -- 5th ward is not getting anything -- and NOT contributing to the same level of play programs for all the kids.

-----a centralized playground ath Legion-Keener is NOT sufficient for the parents and kids in Latrobe. Kids needs neighborhood parks to go to "for pick-up games" and things.

I mean, a walking path is "nice", too bad it had to end at Avenue A, because the dog shed people wouldn't let it cross their land, but why has the development of that path, which was supposed to go to Kingston, stopped?

Ya see? associating with the now nation-wide St. Vincent leads Okonak to more prestigious folk than Latrobe has; he's "tapped" Latrobe "society" as far as he can, for his career advancement. Not a problem. I'd do it, too.

But, now the town is really screwed, isn't it?

5th Ward Resident

Latrobe, PA

#9 Jan 9, 2011
SVC wrote:
Technically, SVC is part of Latrobe and probably a pretty big reason this town gets a little bit of business (2000 extra drinking, eating, and shopping consumers). I think that they probably focused on SVC because education is very important and perhpas if we educated people we can better the world around us? The Rogers Center is for education majors mainly (but is open for events for other majors) and they hold many events there such as lectures, conventions, display of senior theses, etc. My only guess is that the foundation figured their money would be spent better there then in the actual town. It probably does more good at SVC. Just a thought, not an argument.
Let's have St. Vincent:

-----build student housing within the city limits.

-----set up and office to help Latrobe tenants with their slumlords in Latrobe; let's have St. Vincent McKenna School of Busienss teach tenants how to demand healthy homes from Latorbe's slumlord, and let's NOT have these classes "out of town" at the intimidating, for many, St. Vincent, let's have the SCHOOL COME TO THE PEOPLE in Latrobe.

-----put interns into the City Hall in Latrobe, to provide MBA theses on what would improve the town. Rick Stadler can't come up with anything, his skills are "tapped" out. Let's improve Latrobe by setting up a MBA intern program with the failing leadership of Latrobe

win-win...

I'm big on win-win...

BTW: I loved Mr. Rogers. I watched him every lunchtime. I was "home" in Latrobe, when he died. I loved his quiet nature, his openness, his tolerance.

Mr. Rogers wouldn't want to see Latrobe in its current state. He certainly would NOT want to see Latrobe with so little given to the health of the children, and to the community, too.
LuvULongtime

Pittsburgh, PA

#10 Jan 9, 2011
nosmoking wrote:
watch out, better not piss off okonack, he will pull the thread faster than brown water flows out of latrobe spickets
LuvULongtime

Pittsburgh, PA

#11 Jan 9, 2011
5th Ward Resident wrote:
<quoted text>
While at Berkeley, I read a PITT students Ph.D. dissertation, I had it sent to CAL) that examined how the wealthy Pittsburgh familes funded the playground system in Pittsburgh to teach [the poor little peasant-children] socialization skills and health and cleanliness skills.
This was why there were enormous playgrounds and after-school and summer activites in Pittsburgh, because the wives of the Steel Magnates -- actually cared -- and wanted to contribute to the little children of the men feeding their husbands' fortunes.
But, now why not?
Why are there no playgrounds in all the wards for the kids in the summers? A playground staff does NOT cost much, and the town won't pay for it anyway!!!!
Why not keep the health and socialization programs for the little mill urchins going? Who stopped these programs, and why?
-----I'll write the grants to get this system back in place. Isn't there a woman in charge of the Unity-Latrobe athletic system? Where's she?
-----Why is there not a centralized after school day care for kids up to 12-years old with after school activities? for all the "poor hardworking parents, single parents" in Latrobe?
When a local foundation has $15,000,000, and "chooses" to attach itself to St. Vincent, which has 2,000, students who contribute to Sharkey's and Unity township (not Latrobe, let's get real, folks),
-----why hasn't this foundation been "tapped" by the City? been "tapped" by the Parks and Recreation woman?
=
=
=
i really hate top admit, but i agree with 5th ward about....When a local foundation has $15,000,000, and "chooses" to attach itself to St. Vincent, which has 2,000, students who contribute to Sharkey's and Unity township (not Latrobe, let's get real, folks),

5th Ward Resident

Latrobe, PA

#12 Jan 9, 2011
LuvULongtime wrote:
<quoted text> watch out, better not piss off okonack, he will pull the thread faster than brown water flows out of latrobe spickets
Now listing him as the contact for Latrobe's largest foundation is a "nice" thing to do, for the readers of this forum.

Noting that he's taken the fund out of Latrobe, the messed up corrupt little town, and attached the fund to St. Vincent, a lovely, well-run, well-moneyed place near Latrobe, is just factual.

Readers need to understand what foundations are, what they do, and I hope more readers ASK QUESTIONS!
nosmoking

Latrobe, PA

#13 Jan 9, 2011
5th Ward Resident wrote:
<quoted text>
He probably pays himself a good $200,000, to run that fund. That would be a fair rate of pay for over-seeing that fund.
Wasn't his family the owners of a little car dealership?
How did the child of a car dealership end up in charge of a $15,000,000, fund of the Rogers-McFeeley family?
I've looked at his resume, it's solid, but,
-----why has this foundation NOT developed Latrobe's HEALTH? and CHILDREN?
-----why has this Foundation not take "the first step" to remediate the land of Standard Steel?
-----why, at the city council meeting I attended, 3/2008, was it doling out a little bit of money for a playground gazebo or something? and not "contributing" to all the wards -- 5th ward is not getting anything -- and NOT contributing to the same level of play programs for all the kids.
-----a centralized playground ath Legion-Keener is NOT sufficient for the parents and kids in Latrobe. Kids needs neighborhood parks to go to "for pick-up games" and things.
I mean, a walking path is "nice", too bad it had to end at Avenue A, because the dog shed people wouldn't let it cross their land, but why has the development of that path, which was supposed to go to Kingston, stopped?
Ya see? associating with the now nation-wide St. Vincent leads Okonak to more prestigious folk than Latrobe has; he's "tapped" Latrobe "society" as far as he can, for his career advancement. Not a problem. I'd do it, too.
But, now the town is really screwed, isn't it?
In regards to Jim Okonak - his dad ,Tom was a big shot at the now defunct (Latrobe Die Casting Co.)does anybody remember the strike of "1979" it was nasty !
Wilmer Mizell

Latrobe, PA

#14 Jan 9, 2011
5th Ward Resident wrote:
<quoted text>
According to public documents it's actually less than $115,000. He doesn't 'pay himself', he's paid by the Foundation an amount that shouldn't get anyone excited. So please don't.
Redneck

Latrobe, PA

#15 Jan 9, 2011
nosmoking wrote:
<quoted text> In regards to Jim Okonak - his dad ,Tom was a big shot at the now defunct (Latrobe Die Casting Co.)does anybody remember the strike of "1979" it was nasty !
Who is he married to?
Redneck

Latrobe, PA

#16 Jan 9, 2011
5th Ward Resident wrote:
<quoted text>
But, now why not?
None of the big mills are owned by local residents as in the past. Most have been merged and made part of glonbal corporations run by a spreadsheet overseas.

Not much concern for locals from those entities. We've been sold out for decades by people we "elected" to represent us. Friggin bang up job they did, eh?

5th Ward Resident

Latrobe, PA

#17 Jan 9, 2011
Wilmer Mizell wrote:
According to public documents it's actually less than $115,000. He doesn't 'pay himself', he's paid by the Foundation an amount that shouldn't get anyone excited. So please don't.
Well, of course he might actually have a "salary" of $115,000, which, yes, is not much.

But, he gets his "expenses" covered, too, which probably include cars, air travel, dry-cleaning, teeth-whitening, internet service. His TOTAL PACKAGE probably exceeds $300,000,(if he had to pay for everything, himself.)

Running a fund, is a great job. Running a non-profit Foundation is the ideal life...

5th Ward Resident

Latrobe, PA

#18 Jan 9, 2011
nosmoking wrote:
In regards to Jim Okonak - his dad ,Tom was a big shot at the now defunct (Latrobe Die Casting Co.)does anybody remember the strike of "1979" it was nasty !
I'm pretty sure that Die Casting is one of the three-toxic sites in Latrobe. The senior Okonak left a polluted site as his legacy? and junior Okonak doesn't clean up that historic toxic mess?

I don't even know where Die Casting was located, 6th Ward? I just know about it from my reading.

I'll check the CDC and get back to you as to whether or not Die Casting is one of the three-Latrobe-toxic sites. hold on...

5th Ward Resident

Latrobe, PA

#19 Jan 9, 2011
Redneck wrote:
Who is he married to?
Christine Okonak. What was her maiden name?
nosmoking

Latrobe, PA

#20 Jan 9, 2011
Look up the family tree. She had to be a Rogers or McFeeley.How do you think Jim got his job !

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 8
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Latrobe Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Congratulations Donald J. Trump - YOU'RE HIRED ! 9 hr Dave Hinkle 6
Burning in town. 13 hr Second ward 1
St.Vincent dePaul (Jun '12) Fri Helpthehomeless 40
Trump Thu UAW for Trump 11
heroin and narcan Jan 18 U Know 11
Burn baby burn! Jan 16 Yeah 13
How much Gold has William Devane bought from Ro... (Aug '13) Jan 16 Ace Julian 48

Latrobe Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Latrobe Mortgages