Latrobe Parks and Rec. ....Cost for p...

Latrobe Parks and Rec. ....Cost for playgound programs!

Posted in the Latrobe Forum

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
Father

Oakmont, PA

#1 Jun 9, 2009
I need to agree with Stuart Albaugh's (Latrobe Bulletin 6/6/09) concerning Latrobe Parks and Rec. Director Jean Ashley's, decision to rase the fee for playground programs to $100.00 per child! This is typical of what Latrobe Parks and Rec....( Unity Twp.) does to price gouge our children! Thanks for sticking it to us Rick Stadler!
Mindy Stadler Latrobe PA

Nanty Glo, PA

#2 Jun 9, 2009
Father, I am writing in reference to your comment about my husband, Rick Stadler. It is amazing to me, that you post you live in Pittsburgh and have concerns about the Park and Rec Dept in Latrobe. Let me say this, my husband has nothing to do with the fees set, as the Parks & Rec commission create them and for you to have the crass, to post something inaccurate does not surprise me, as you are obviously an inept individual who speaks before thinking. Your intelligence level is obviously "nill," and may I suggest to you, if you have any concerns about something pertaining to the City of Latrobe, first get your facts correct before penning them, and secondly, make an appointment with the appropriate individual to air your opinions and get the proper information. Man up and give your real name, if you are a taxpayer, you are entitled to your opinion, if not back off...
Father of the Father

Ligonier, PA

#3 Jun 9, 2009
My son is really scared after reading that last post.

I agree with Mr. Albaugh. Wow you people in Latrobe are offering a 233% increase per child in this environment.
Amanda

Ligonier, PA

#4 Jun 9, 2009
Mindy Stadler Latrobe PA wrote:
Father, I am writing in reference to your comment about my husband, Rick Stadler. It is amazing to me, that you post you live in Pittsburgh and have concerns about the Park and Rec Dept in Latrobe. Let me say this, my husband has nothing to do with the fees set, as the Parks & Rec commission create them and for you to have the crass, to post something inaccurate does not surprise me, as you are obviously an inept individual who speaks before thinking. Your intelligence level is obviously "nill," and may I suggest to you, if you have any concerns about something pertaining to the City of Latrobe, first get your facts correct before penning them, and secondly, make an appointment with the appropriate individual to air your opinions and get the proper information. Man up and give your real name, if you are a taxpayer, you are entitled to your opinion, if not back off...
The name of the city or town under ones post has nothing to do with where one lives, yours says clarksburg. I also agree with Father on this one. Oh buy the way your husband indirectly has more to do with the fees imposed than you think. Put your thinking cap on and your see the truth.
Mrs Top Notch

Ligonier, PA

#5 Jun 9, 2009
Is this the same Mindy wo was a girlfriend of Mork from Ork ?

You know...Mork and Mindy.
iggy

Pittsburgh, PA

#6 Jun 9, 2009
mindy, you openly admit you know rick. you should have married mork, nanoo,nanoo.
Mork

United States

#7 Jun 11, 2009
Mindy I can not believe you defend that "Shazbot"!
employed

United States

#8 Jun 12, 2009
Mindy, do your homework before you attempt an ass chewing. You just showed your ass. I live in Latrobe and regularly use P and R programs. Tell your old man to stand up to some one and grow some balls regardless if he has no control over the price. Can he do that, can he stand up and tell them how he feels? Ahaa, here in is the question. How does he feel?
employed

United States

#9 Jun 12, 2009
want a scare? Start researching the following.
Parks and recs ran by united way, associated with NAMBLA and class warfare removing the dollors from the working class. Also research what percentage of those dollors make it directly to the programs and what percentage makes it to the united way big wigs (the new world order.)

do not waste your time labeling me with "conspiracy theory weirdo." DO THE RESEARCH ON YOUR OWN!!!! THINK FOR YOURSELF, it is ok to question authority.......
Dont worry about it

Nanty Glo, PA

#10 Jun 12, 2009
All I have to say is im sick and tired of every comment being bashful. Cant we talk this out as human beings instead of acting like children and bashing eachother??? All of you people need to grow the hell up, and get a life. That will never happen, because your minds are sooo small that you cant think above bashing on a stupid internet forum....
Carlton Banks

Ligonier, PA

#11 Jun 12, 2009
Where is Uncle Phil ?

And to Dont worry about it.....

If you are so sick and tired of these comments....

GO SOMEWHERE ELSE.
navin johnston

Pittsburgh, PA

#12 Jun 13, 2009
with all this new revenue maybe someone will fix all the potholes on the road down at the midway before the 4th celebration. Or we could wait for some old lady to trip and break her hip. who's liable for that?
Rick

Pittsburgh, PA

#13 Jun 13, 2009
navin johnston wrote:
with all this new revenue maybe someone will fix all the potholes on the road down at the midway before the 4th celebration. Or we could wait for some old lady to trip and break her hip. who's liable for that?
Why not have Carol & Gary Greenwalt, the ownerÂ’s of Latrobe 4th of July Promotion Company, pay for fixing the potholes???
Mother

Curtisville, PA

#14 Jun 17, 2009
Cost of summer fun for some at Latrobe-Unity-Youngstown parks:$50
A revised summer program offered to children by Latrobe-Unity-Youngstown Parks & Recreation Commission involves a cost hike.

Read full story from Pittsburgh Tribu
A revised summer program offered to children by Latrobe-Unity-Youngstown Parks & Recreation Commission involves a cost hike.

The commission will offer "Play Camps" for $50 per child of Greater Latrobe School District residents and $60 per child of those outside the district, said commission Executive Director Jeanne Ashley on Tuesday.

The program will be conducted in two, three-week sessions at Legion-Keener Park in the city. The first session began Monday and ends July 3. The second session is from July 6 to July 24. Each session is from 8:45 a.m. to noon, Monday through Friday. Children ages 7 to 11 are eligible.

"The primary issue at play here is safety for the kids," Ashley said.

It also is one of economics.

"Last year, we had 13 playgrounds scattered all over Latrobe and Unity Township, so we hired 35 playground leaders," Ashley said. "The problem was that the kids just weren't coming."

Six of the facilities located at the Latrobe Athletic field, East High Acres, Irving Avenue, Hostetter, Mountain View and Lawson Heights averaged about 5 visitors daily last summer. Playgrounds in Crabtree and Pleasant Unity had virtually no visitors. The only commission facilities that averaged double-digit attendance were ones located in Marguerite, Latrobe's 1st Ward and Baggaley.

Last year's fee for children ages 6-12 for summer access to the playground was $5 each. The commission spent $30,000 solely on payroll for the hired playground leaders. In all, about 85 youngsters were registered to play at the facilities, Ashley said.

"We divided the cost by the number of kids involved, and the average cost per child was $345," Ashley said.

The program's new structure includes a more centralized setting and supervision by two adult leaders with degrees in elementary education.

"We are going to make sure the kids are safe and secure, we'll provide them with a healthy snack, field trips, softball and swimming," Ashley said. "The price is definitely right for what is being offered."

City resident Stuart Albaugh, who has two children in the Play Camps age range, said he is not pleased with the increase in cost, no matter the benefits.

"If they're having a problem getting kids to the playgrounds, how is this going to help?" Albaugh said.

So far, a total of 12 children are registered to take part in the Play Camps, Ashley said. More information is available at www.latroberecreation.org/ .
Real Estate Person

Ligonier, PA

#15 Jun 18, 2009
We must close all playgrounds now. And offer this prime land for development. We need new Section 8 housing sites. Remember...Obama says to share the wealth.
iggy

United States

#16 Jun 23, 2009
pay the 50.00, to the parks or pay 50.00 to a sitter. do something , just stop bitching.
herman munster

Irwin, PA

#17 Jun 25, 2009
the corner at Chestnut & Jefferson would have made a nice Aldi's store. but no, its going to be in Unity Twp.
iggy

United States

#18 Jun 25, 2009
hey herman, stay out of unity . we don`t want you and lilly, and fang, hanging out in these here parts. uncle fester is ok, with his robe, he will fit in with st.vincents priests.
eyeknow

Saltsburg, PA

#19 Jun 25, 2009
Maybe, GA should stay off of the machines at the clubs and then p&r would have more money. Work a full day and apply for every grant she can get her hands on instead of raising prices and asking taxpayers for more money and in-kind services.
the village yoder

Pittsburgh, PA

#20 Jun 28, 2009
Maybe with the extra money parks and rec is takin in they can afford to cut the grass at l-k park so I can see my kids when they are playing!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Latrobe Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Adult Book Store in Latrobe (Aug '09) 10 hr BurgherKing 23
Dogs in Legion Keener Park (Jul '13) 16 hr Make America Great 74
mark noel Fri haley 9
Battaglia's creekside restaurant and bar on Ave... (Mar '15) Fri Greg 28
wanos pond Thu People See 38
crackhead Dec 1 JLR 5
How much Gold has William Devane bought from Ro... (Aug '13) Dec 1 Regis 42

Latrobe Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance