Should Greater Latrobe SD be spending...

Should Greater Latrobe SD be spending 10 million on sports complex?

Created by Concerned Taxpayer on Aug 28, 2012

372 votes

Click on an option to vote

yes

no

maybe

First Prev
of 11
Next Last
Sport

Pittsburgh, PA

#203 Nov 28, 2012
My fiancÚ and I went into Latrobe this summer to play some tennis but we couldnt play because there was no place to park!
Redneck

Latrobe, PA

#204 Nov 28, 2012
3 horse town wrote:
<quoted text>
Yea, the three people in Latrobe who can afford horses will want an entire field built at the taxpayers' expense.
Latrobe and its spending is out of control.
Priorities are in the wrong places.
Kids aren't getting the attention they need, and the Social Welfare programs serving many families aren't doing anything to really help the families, while these Social Welfare program are bankrupting MEDICAID to do nothing to really change these families' lives.
The focus of all programs in Latrobe -- city, school district, whatever -- should be in educating people on how to LEAVE LATROBE, get educations, build careers, see the world!
The welfare goes to the government employees running the programs who are probably well connected to elected officials and poorly skilled to handle the job.
3 horse town

Greensburg, PA

#205 Nov 28, 2012
Sport wrote:
My fiancÚ and I went into Latrobe this summer to play some tennis but we couldnt play because there was no place to park!
Did you miss the entire parking lot adjacent to the STADIUM that seats 10,000 people? both in the same sports complex as tennis courts? was it too far for you to walk 400-feet?
Sport

Pittsburgh, PA

#206 Nov 28, 2012
Ummm...it was a joke ok! All we read about this summer was there was no place to park in Latrobe! People need to loosen up a bit you're all too tense!
fact check

Irwin, PA

#207 Nov 28, 2012
round the clock use wrote:
<quoted text>
What difference does it make how many courts the other schools have?
Hempfield also has 5,000 students in its high school, when Latrobe has 1/5 of that.
And, aren't there indoor courts -- for the "community" -- along Route 30, between Mountain View Inn and Smail Automotive?
-----Maybe you should get off the couch and realize that summer "peak use" high demand does not warrant a new tennis court.
Last year Hempfield graduated 454 students so unless each of the other 3 grades has over 1500 students then you vastly overstated their enrollment.
http://triblive.com/mobile/1855963-81/class-g...

Last year Greater Latrobe graduated 350 students.
http://triblive.com/mobile/1879660-81/honor-s...

Maybe you should check your facts before posting.
Vulcan Mold and Iron

Greensburg, PA

#208 Nov 28, 2012
fact check wrote:
<quoted text>
Last year Hempfield graduated 454 students so unless each of the other 3 grades has over 1500 students then you vastly overstated their enrollment.
http://triblive.com/mobile/1855963-81/class-g...
Last year Greater Latrobe graduated 350 students.
http://triblive.com/mobile/1879660-81/honor-s...
Maybe you should check your facts before posting.
Isn't Hempfield a 9-12 high school? so that's 1800 students? wow, I did vastly overstate didn't I.

And Latrobe graduated 350 and has 1000 students in 10-12? down 200 students per grade from when I graduated.

-----Hence, the facilities that already exist were built for a class size of 550, not the lower 350, so why does the district need "more" of everything, when the class size has diminished by 40%

PS: Thanks for fact checking. I love when people do the grunt work for me.
Hammy

Springfield, NJ

#209 Nov 29, 2012
3 horse town wrote:
<quoted text>
Did you miss the entire parking lot adjacent to the STADIUM that seats 10,000 people? both in the same sports complex as tennis courts? was it too far for you to walk 400-feet?
That sure is a big parking lot. It is so big that it doesn't even get filled up for a Friday Night GL football game.
Vulcan Mold and Iron

Greensburg, PA

#210 Nov 29, 2012
It's just so much more fun to throw out made-up facts and have people debate them. Then I like to tell people they did a good job when they prove I make up things, because I have no defense otherwise.
School Board

Latrobe, PA

#211 Dec 5, 2012
I hope the new SB chair realizes that there are better priorities than the athletic folly. To the women who spoke at the last Board meeting. You do not need new bricks and mortar to instill the positive attributes that are associated with sports!

Move to North Allegheny or Fox Chapel!
Carol

Apollo, PA

#212 Dec 9, 2012
I am glad we left Latrobe. I live in the Kiski Valley and the Kiski Board is more in tune with the taxpayers than Latrobe. Kiski used the area career and tech students to rebuild the bleachers at Davis Field. Latrobe would never consider such a cost saving measure.
Joe Blow

Latrobe, PA

#213 Dec 9, 2012
School Board wrote:
I hope the new SB chair realizes that there are better priorities than the athletic folly. To the women who spoke at the last Board meeting. You do not need new bricks and mortar to instill the positive attributes that are associated with sports!
Move to North Allegheny or Fox Chapel!
Better yet, move to Franklin Regional with the new Super Piraino.
carole

Latrobe, PA

#214 Dec 9, 2012
Carol wrote:
I am glad we left Latrobe..
So are we
debbie

Pittsburgh, PA

#215 Dec 9, 2012
One of the reason given for building this 10 million dollar Stadium is very low Interest rates. The Interest rate are low because our Economy is on life support,If the interest rates go up and they most.The economy will go down the tubes.We need much higher growth rates in this economy. The School Broad needs to see the light and come out of the dark.
My 2 cents

Greensburg, PA

#216 Dec 11, 2012
Swigart Stadium

I can see it in lights!
affluent school district

Latrobe, PA

#217 Dec 12, 2012
At the last Board meeting the woman who stated that Latrobe is an affluent school district has obviously not visited the coal mine towns and the trailer courts. Not all of the district looks like White School road ! there is abject poverty in some parts of Latrbe and Unity township. Move to Mount Lebo if you want these athletic amenities!
Krispy Creme

Greensburg, PA

#218 Dec 12, 2012
affluent school district wrote:
At the last Board meeting the woman who stated that Latrobe is an affluent school district has obviously not visited the coal mine towns and the trailer courts.
Maybe she meant Latrobe spends like it is an affluent school district?

Maybe she meant that Latrobe wants to "pretend" that it's an affluent school district?

Maybe she meant that Latrobe DOES PRETEND that it's an affluent school district with its ridiculous $3,000,000 art collection, when, like you note above, kids live in "patch" towns, and trailer courts, and parents don't have cars, and kids don't have sheets on their beds.

-----Just so some of you learn, there are teachers and principals in Latrobe picking up students and parents to get them to school events. Teachers and principals are recycling clothes for poor kids to wear.
Now is the time

Latrobe, PA

#219 Dec 13, 2012
My 2 cents wrote:
Swigart Stadium
I can see it in lights!
Now is the time to go with a county school district like MD. To many redundant administrators!
Student at Latrobe

Latrobe, PA

#220 Jan 10, 2013
glad you enjoyed it wrote:
<quoted text>
Latrobe School District, like almost all districts in the United States caters to the lowest common denominator, the dumbest, most stupid kids.
Teachers no longer give serious homework, because parents are too stupid locally to help the kids at home to do the homework. I don't know how many parents, locally, can't assist their children with 4th grade math!
But, if the school wins at a few football games, the team of meatheads gets broadcast on TV, well, that there's big news for the locals...
The MDs kids will go to top schools.
The local Lawyers kids will go to top schools.
The rest of Latrobe's kids will go to half-assed schools, state schools, that will get them nowhere but in debt, and tied to dead-end jobs.
PS: The reason the school has no National Merit Finalists is because teachers enters college with the lowest SAT schools out of all majors that eventually graduate.
-----In other words, the most stupid people entering college become public school teachers!
As a student at Latrobe High School, I can tell you that you are mistaken. All of my course work is substantial, between A.P Physics (College Physics 1), A.P Calculus AB (College Calc. 1), A.P Human Geography (College Human Geo.), I am rather busy. These are college level courses taught by my high school teachers. On the matter of a College Education, any student can manage to get into any school that they wish, should they apply themselves. And, if you are going to argue SAT scores, based on modern scientific experiments and studies, Students who study music throughout their schooling and in high school score higher on standardized tests, SAT's, and college exams. Music Majors (in college) more often score higher in their English courses than English majors. So, if you are arguing SAT scores, make music a mandatory course of study in school.
DMR

Latrobe, PA

#221 Jan 11, 2013
Student at Latrobe wrote:
<quoted text>
As a student at Latrobe High School, I can tell you that you are mistaken. All of my course work is substantial, between A.P Physics (College Physics 1), A.P Calculus AB (College Calc. 1), A.P Human Geography (College Human Geo.), I am rather busy. These are college level courses taught by my high school teachers. On the matter of a College Education, any student can manage to get into any school that they wish, should they apply themselves. And, if you are going to argue SAT scores, based on modern scientific experiments and studies, Students who study music throughout their schooling and in high school score higher on standardized tests, SAT's, and college exams. Music Majors (in college) more often score higher in their English courses than English majors. So, if you are arguing SAT scores, make music a mandatory course of study in school.
Key words being "...should they apply themselves". Greater Latrobe for the most part has great teachers & great students with great parents. There are always those students, in any school district, who do not apply themselves, with or without great teachers, with or without parental interest & involvement.
frank

Latrobe, PA

#222 Jan 13, 2013
they got two stadiums in pittsburgh that the people voted against. In time you will get used to the fact that waht the public wants just doesnt matter. the people in power know better than you. pay your taxes and know your role.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 11
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Latrobe Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Crane Operator Dies On Job At Latrobe Specialty... (May '08) 6 hr Hehaw 25
Best football player? Best team? (Dec '12) 21 hr Jon Demao 32
Unity Township Supervisor John Milan Guaranteed... (May '17) Sat bob 6
You and I paid for it Fri Opalinski 3
Brewery subjects Fri Opalinski 5
the Pond Fri Opalinski 3
Dainty Pasty Fri Opalinski 4

Latrobe Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance