Should Greater Latrobe SD be spending...

Should Greater Latrobe SD be spending 10 million on sports complex?

Created by Concerned Taxpayer on Aug 28, 2012

372 votes

Click on an option to vote

yes

no

maybe

First Prev
of 11
Next Last
Concerned Taxpayer

Pittsburgh, PA

#1 Aug 28, 2012
As an educator and concerned taxpayer I would rather see scarce resources for public education focused on educational programs and instruction.
Carla

Pittsburgh, PA

#2 Aug 28, 2012
The money spent on debt service to borrow the 10 million could be spent on retaining teachers!
April Shower

Latrobe, PA

#3 Aug 28, 2012
There should be less teachers, more students per classroom, more competition, less teaching to the test, less administration, and men teachers should ALWAYS wear a necktie not only to look presentable but to command respect, and lady teachers should not wear pants.
Cmon teachers, you are making enough money...start to dress the part.
Also, START TO ENFORCE THE STUDENT DRESS CODE, or require specific clothing. School is not a playground ! Instill VALUES.
BECOME A LEADER...NOT A FOLLOWER !
Frank

Pittsburgh, PA

#4 Aug 28, 2012
Plans for a $10 million multi-purpose athletic complex at the high school are insane given the remarks of Mears and Swigart contending that families will move to Latrobe for this amenity!
Redneck

Latrobe, PA

#5 Aug 28, 2012
April Shower wrote:
There should be less teachers, more students per classroom, more competition, less teaching to the test, less administration, and men teachers should ALWAYS wear a necktie not only to look presentable but to command respect, and lady teachers should not wear pants.
Also, START TO ENFORCE THE STUDENT DRESS CODE, or require specific clothing. School is not a playground ! Instill VALUES.
That opinion is as deep as a bird bath...
Shirley

Pittsburgh, PA

#6 Aug 28, 2012
Frank wrote:
Plans for a $10 million multi-purpose athletic complex at the high school are insane given the remarks of Mears and Swigart contending that families will move to Latrobe for this amenity!
Build it and they will come!
April Shower

Latrobe, PA

#7 Aug 28, 2012
Hey Redneck.....Is tour first name Richard ?

Cause you are a real DICK.
April Shower

Latrobe, PA

#8 Aug 28, 2012
Your real first name. Sorry about the spelling error.
Redneck

Latrobe, PA

#9 Aug 28, 2012
I am sorry I wrote that comment about the bird bath. I apologize.
Barry Carlson

Latrobe, PA

#10 Aug 28, 2012
I agree with April
hump

Mount Vernon, OH

#11 Aug 28, 2012
April Shower wrote:
I love it!
lucy

Irwin, PA

#12 Aug 28, 2012
I'm not sure about the costs, but with all the drugs, violence and criminal activities young adults get into, it might be helpful for youngsters to have a sports complex. Could keep them out of trouble and lead them into a positive direction.
Redneck

Latrobe, PA

#13 Aug 28, 2012
Redneck wrote:
I am sorry I wrote that comment about the bird bath. I apologize.
Someone being cute hi-jacking my name. I stand by the birdbath comment.
Redneck

Latrobe, PA

#14 Aug 28, 2012
I am sorry again. I live in a birdbath. I voted for Obama.
Current Teacher

Latrobe, PA

#15 Aug 28, 2012
I agree with April Shower. It is time to cut back on teachers like me, and stop giving us increases in pay.... The only reason Swigart supports raises for us teachers is because her increase is based on our increase.
Tom

Pittsburgh, PA

#16 Aug 29, 2012
Building a golf green and sandtraps is over the top with Latrobe CC across the street. Next Mears will want a 9 hole links golfcourse.
hump

Mount Vernon, OH

#17 Aug 29, 2012
Frank wrote:
famines certainly do consider the school district when buying a home, so it may indeed influence some to live in unity twp.

You always hear people talking about the facilities at schools such as mt lebanon, upper st clair, fox chapel.

School districts do compete for students. Look at Howard Hanna's website for example. Why do they allow you to search for properties using the school district as one if the criteria? People are searching for top districts witn top facilities. You certainly can make the argument that other faculties (ie a top nitch science lab) could have the same effect.
Carla

Pittsburgh, PA

#18 Aug 29, 2012
hump wrote:
<quoted text>
famines certainly do consider the school district when buying a home, so it may indeed influence some to live in unity twp.
You always hear people talking about the facilities at schools such as mt lebanon, upper st clair, fox chapel.
School districts do compete for students. Look at Howard Hanna's website for example. Why do they allow you to search for properties using the school district as one if the criteria? People are searching for top districts witn top facilities. You certainly can make the argument that other faculties (ie a top nitch science lab) could have the same effect.
I would be more inclined to pick a district based upon academic parameters rather than if it has a astroturf football field or fieldhouse.
Stewey

Elyria, OH

#19 Aug 29, 2012
Carla wrote:
<quoted text>I would be more inclined to pick a district based upon academic parameters rather than if it has a astroturf football field or fieldhouse.
you can pick a school district based on the lunch menu for all I care. The fact remains that the quality and state of a school's physical plant will be considered when one is considering competing school districts.
Carla

Pittsburgh, PA

#20 Aug 29, 2012
Stewey wrote:
<quoted text>
you can pick a school district based on the lunch menu for all I care. The fact remains that the quality and state of a school's physical plant will be considered when one is considering competing school districts.
Public schools are more than bricks and mortar. It is the quality of the teachers that count!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 11
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Latrobe Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
GL Basketball 5 hr Charles 2
Poll Borough's snow removal 9 hr sammie 11
Poll Should Derry sell water authority to MAWC? (Oct '13) 11 hr sammie 140
Constant complaining Sat Just1ofthem 6
PA Needs More School Choice Sat Uncle George 6
Latrobe school gets a cheap bid Feb 23 Math Genius 1
Thinking Back Junior Pro. Feb 23 NorthsideOFLatrobe 13

Latrobe Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance