Marcellus Shale Flare
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

“Topix Administration”

Since: Aug 09

Palo Alto, Ca

#1 Jun 13, 2011
Where exactly in Latrobe are they doing this?
Bumper Man

Latrobe, PA

#2 Jun 13, 2011
Just in case you thought they did, this post is proof that the Mods don't read any of the threads!
lat

Pittsburgh, PA

#3 Jun 13, 2011
I'm playing stupid bumperman how is this proof?
Bumper Man

Latrobe, PA

#4 Jun 13, 2011
well, I guess since I don't work a Topix I have no "real" proof. But since this is Latrobe Topix, I think I can go with unsubstantiated claims!(Besides if they had read the threads, the question is already answered)

5th Ward Resident

“Won't you touch my sweater”

Since: Sep 10

Latrobe, PA

#5 Jun 13, 2011
I want a job as a TOPIX moderator. I can get paid to sit and read bullshit all day?
Nancy

Latrobe, PA

#6 Jun 13, 2011
5 miles from Latrobe...

From downtown Latrobe (Corner of Lincoln Avenue, Weiss Furniture)..Turning right off of Lincoln Ave onto what I call Latrobe-Derry Road past True Value. Straight through Traffic Light. Make a left onto Pandora Road (BEFORE 84 Lumber and BEFORE Car Wash) Smith Oil signs are there on the left. Travel on Pandora road only a short distance until you cross the bridge. Immediately after crossing Pandora bridge make a left onto Uschak Road (Building Bodeez is on the right of the road). Travel Uschak for approximately a mile. There is the gas well on the right side that is on fire. A little further on the left (up on the hill) is the second well due to be fracked. Travel through the curves and up the hill to the 3rd well tucked up behind and in front of the homes on Fairview Lane. Flaring now. You can also make a right onto Androstic Road as you come up the hill before Fairview Lane. Travel Androstic almost to the end and you will come across several other Marcellus Shale gas rigs.

“Topix Administration”

Palo Alto, Ca

#8 Jun 13, 2011
Nancy wrote:
5 miles from Latrobe...
From downtown Latrobe (Corner of Lincoln Avenue, Weiss Furniture)..Turning right off of Lincoln Ave onto what I call Latrobe-Derry Road past True Value. Straight through Traffic Light. Make a left onto Pandora Road (BEFORE 84 Lumber and BEFORE Car Wash) Smith Oil signs are there on the left. Travel on Pandora road only a short distance until you cross the bridge. Immediately after crossing Pandora bridge make a left onto Uschak Road (Building Bodeez is on the right of the road). Travel Uschak for approximately a mile. There is the gas well on the right side that is on fire. A little further on the left (up on the hill) is the second well due to be fracked. Travel through the curves and up the hill to the 3rd well tucked up behind and in front of the homes on Fairview Lane. Flaring now. You can also make a right onto Androstic Road as you come up the hill before Fairview Lane. Travel Androstic almost to the end and you will come across several other Marcellus Shale gas rigs.
Thanks for the detailed information. I know where you are talking about but not sure I've been past Pandora that way.
Nancy

Latrobe, PA

#9 Jun 14, 2011
Well on Fairview hasn't flared since yesterday afternoon. Not sure if someone raised a fuss or they are just finished. It really was very loud so close to our homes...kind of sounded like many freight trains running continuously. Also, despite what they say...it has a smell that just can't be good for the air quality. Well on Uschak continues to flare. I would expect the second well on Uschak to be flared soon.
Bumper Man

Latrobe, PA

#10 Jun 14, 2011
Top Mod 8 wrote:
<quoted text>
I guess I should have looked for a thread before I asked. I usually moderate uploaded photos and happened to run across this one. Since I'm from this area I was wondering where this was.
If you need mods to look at posts, we have a feedback where you can send reports.
Mea culpa! I prefer not to rely on a moderator to censor the discussion, however I guess it's good if you drop in now and then.

“Topix Administration”

Palo Alto, Ca

#11 Jun 14, 2011
Nancy wrote:
Well on Fairview hasn't flared since yesterday afternoon. Not sure if someone raised a fuss or they are just finished. It really was very loud so close to our homes...kind of sounded like many freight trains running continuously. Also, despite what they say...it has a smell that just can't be good for the air quality. Well on Uschak continues to flare. I would expect the second well on Uschak to be flared soon.
Do you know if each one is fired up only once or do they continue to be fired off and on?
Nancy

Latrobe, PA

#12 Jun 15, 2011
Top Mod 8 wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you know if each one is fired up only once or do they continue to be fired off and on?
I don't know...we are still trying to figure that one out. Williams is the gas company drilling out here and their representatives have always said...call or email and we will address your concerns. I did ask these questions on June 1 in an email. I was told they were unsure of the flaring schedule and they would get back to me. Guess what...no further communication. At 4:18 this morning I sat straight up in bed. The noise and light from the flare was unbelievable. Our windows were closed and my husband thought they were open. It is going full blast as I type this. "Rumor is" we have about 12 days of this.

As I have said so many times before...THIS DOESN'T BELONG 800 FEET FROM ANY HOME!!! This should be in the middle of a big open space not where 7 homes sit in the nearby vicinity.

Did you read my posts regarding the defective shallow well nearby and the methane in homeowners water? Look them up...Sky Flashing, Gas Drilling in Derry.
Nancy

Latrobe, PA

#13 Jun 15, 2011
Top Mod 8 wrote:
Also look for: Gas Drilling "Fire" in the sky.
Nancy

Latrobe, PA

#14 Jun 18, 2011
Our story is in the the Latrobe Paper today. A decent story overall. I wish they had published more of the issues regarding the methane in our water and the defective shallow well nearby. I also take offense to the gas company rep. remarks... she knows. Whatever...my purpose of starting with the local paper was to get the info out there for people. Derry Twp. is going to get hit hard by this and people need to know that they are not alone.

Pittsburgh, PA

#15 Jun 18, 2011
Nancy, I read the article today in the paper. It is absolutely terrible what you, your family and neighbors are enduring. What is happening is unacceptable. I agree, the gas drilling should not be happening so close to all of your homes. I hope positive resolutions are made soon.
Fire from the faucets

Ligonier, PA

#16 Jun 18, 2011
Nancy - I was just out in your area. 10:00 on a Sat. night - I drove all around I saw the 2 flares going and the drill pad with the rig on top of the mountain on that farm!! It lights up the sky and it looks as if you have landed on another planet. I have been reading and learning but until you see it you have no idea the size and montrous sounds. Finally some light is being shed on Marcellus dangers. I was driving near the pad and two women were near the road I stpped and asked where the other flare was. I had seen it in distance and then on the winding roads I lost the direction. They had no idea what I was talking about. The drill pad is in their backyards. I ask if they had wells and they said yes - I told them they will be unable to drink the water soon. We need to get people educated. Did you read the article in the Sat-Sun Latrobe bulletin also? Check that out.
Nancy

Latrobe, PA

#17 Jun 18, 2011
Fire from the faucets wrote:
Nancy - I was just out in your area. 10:00 on a Sat. night - I drove all around I saw the 2 flares going and the drill pad with the rig on top of the mountain on that farm!! It lights up the sky and it looks as if you have landed on another planet. I have been reading and learning but until you see it you have no idea the size and montrous sounds. Finally some light is being shed on Marcellus dangers. I was driving near the pad and two women were near the road I stpped and asked where the other flare was. I had seen it in distance and then on the winding roads I lost the direction. They had no idea what I was talking about. The drill pad is in their backyards. I ask if they had wells and they said yes - I told them they will be unable to drink the water soon. We need to get people educated. Did you read the article in the Sat-Sun Latrobe bulletin also? Check that out.
Newspaper story was ours. We finally decided to take it to the local newspaper after an infuriating week of this flaring. Gas company was supposed to notify of us flaring before it started. We never got notice...3 am Monday morning they did a test run. It sounded like an explosion (we sat straight up in bed) and the orange glow outside made it look like our houses were on fire! Then at 4 am Tuesday morning they did it again...only bigger and louder and that flame stayed lit. I tried to talk to gas company people about the noise, etc. and the conversation was just laughable. They don't care about us. This entire week has been miserable, but today has been really quiet... I figure they were afraid some were watching. We couldn't even be in our yards this week cause the noise was unbearable and there was a smell. Around the clock misery... The article in the paper was a little disappointing because it focused more on the Marcellus Shale than the methane. They did not even mention the defective shallow gas well nearby. Oh well, it is a start... I just hope some read it and are enlightened! Thanks for your support.
Redneck

Latrobe, PA

#18 Jun 19, 2011
Nancy wrote:
<quoted text>
Newspaper story was ours. We finally decided to take it to the local newspaper after an infuriating week of this flaring. Gas company was supposed to notify of us flaring before it started. We never got notice...3 am Monday morning they did a test run. It sounded like an explosion (we sat straight up in bed) and the orange glow outside made it look like our houses were on fire! Then at 4 am Tuesday morning they did it again...only bigger and louder and that flame stayed lit. I tried to talk to gas company people about the noise, etc. and the conversation was just laughable. They don't care about us. This entire week has been miserable, but today has been really quiet... I figure they were afraid some were watching. We couldn't even be in our yards this week cause the noise was unbearable and there was a smell. Around the clock misery... The article in the paper was a little disappointing because it focused more on the Marcellus Shale than the methane. They did not even mention the defective shallow gas well nearby. Oh well, it is a start... I just hope some read it and are enlightened! Thanks for your support.
The gas company, the politicians, and the media are all on the same page...which unfortunately isn't yours.

The most you will get is lip service, but in the end the gas company will get everything it wants and you won't get any relief.

Some will call me a conspiracy nut spinning tales of malcontent and gloom. But the one way to prove a theory is if you can accurately predict an outcome. It will take time, but wait and see if what I posted above isn't the final outcome...and because of it the entire area will eventually suffer from a gas company that made its money and left the community holding the stinking bag thanks to greedy global corporations, corrupted politicians, and government controlled media.

Pittsburgh, PA

#19 Jun 19, 2011
Whoever judged the above posts as funny is just ridiculous. I don't see what's funny about the matter.

Redneck... sadly, you're probably right. It's a tough battle to fight against these type of companies. They don't care about people's health or well-being, just what's best for their business and making a buck.
Redneck

Latrobe, PA

#20 Jun 19, 2011
newbie wrote:
Whoever judged the above posts as funny is just ridiculous. I don't see what's funny about the matter.
Redneck... sadly, you're probably right. It's a tough battle to fight against these type of companies. They don't care about people's health or well-being, just what's best for their business and making a buck.
Now you can understand why the people in the Mideast hate our guts. The oil companies did the same thing to them, even worse in some ways. They not only polluted and ravaged the natural resources; they contaminated their way of life with western values that were in direct opposition to their religion. They did so by corrupting their government with propped up dictators under the guise of "free elections". You want to know why 911 happened...well, that's the underlying cause of it.

Now we have the same thing happening to our country with global corporations. They are coming into our hometowns, ravaging and polluting the natural resources for global corporate profits. They are taking natural gas, instead of oil in this case, for export to other countries. They are also corrupting our government by buying politicians and influencing policies that are in opposition to the welfare of our own people. And it too is done under the guise of "free elections."

Wake up and connect the dots people. We are the new third world country being exploited by people not beholding to this country but of an allegiance to global bankers and corporations. Unfortunately, many are born in this country and hold "elected" office. You want to know what the world organizations are all about like the G20, IMF, World Bank, G8, etc...It's about carving up the globe to their will and design, and the US is just a piece of their puzzle to place where and when they choose. We don't have leaders elected of, by, and for the people; we have managers hired by a global foreign power.
Nancy

Latrobe, PA

#21 Jun 19, 2011
I know that others that are not as close to this as I am have no clue about any of this. I try not to judge others for theirs views, but instead hope I inform others of what can happen. Tonight... there is not just 1 flare 800 ft out my door, but 2. When the Latrobe Bulletin came out Sat., with our story, everything got quiet. It was like they stopped. We actually got some sleep last night. Silly me... since it was so quiet I thought we could have company and our father's day dinner outside this evening. Something others probably take for granted. Just as dinner was served... I heard a boom. Shortly after... 2 giant flames lit up the sky. We couldn't hear a thing and had to move our picnic indoors. As I have said a million times before... THIS SHOULD NOT BE 800 ft from a home!!! I wish I could post a video. I would post the one I just shot of the 2 giant flames with all the deafening sound that comes with it. I have 1 kid on the couch because he can't sleep and the other went to bed but will probably be down in the middle of the night. What a wonderful summer this will be for us!!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Latrobe Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Derry Township Man Sentanced to 30-60 yrs (Mar '11) 3 hr Pissedoffmama 32
Robert Barger (May '10) 3 hr Pissedoffmama 108
cheep apartment wanted 11 hr Township 2
Latrobe Attorney Allen Roth sanctioned 3 times ... Sat Robert 3
Candidates Fri Hugo 3
People that cheat the System (Feb '13) Fri getaclue 114
Ghost Teachers Apr 27 Kelsie 1

Latrobe Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance