Westlake, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 20, 2012

Judged:

Attention anyone paying taxes to the school district. You are about to be fleeced again. dont be fooled! The school board and the school administration is trying to shove a new athletic complex down your throat! They are trying to hide it within the 10 million dollar bond they are going to float. Of the 10 million dollars they are planning on building a 9 million dollar athletic complex. Dont be fooled you need to go to the board meeting tuesday at 7:30.
Pixarfreak

West Alexander, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 21, 2012

Judged:

I have no problem with it. I would gladly pay for something like that. It is needed. Try not to lose your head over it. There are worse things going on in the district and world.
CURIOUS

Latrobe, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 21, 2012

Judged:

It's needed!!!!! You have got to be kidding me. The Steelers don't need a 9 million dollar athletic complex let alone Latrobe school district. Get real people! This is so disturbing to think that anyone would think that is the right way to spend 9 million dollars in a school district. It's so frustrating; there are no words.

Since: Feb 11

West Alexander, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 21, 2012

Judged:

unless you can provide a link or document to show the dollar amount, i will take those posts with a grain of salt.
Also, what exactly are we getting. What does the complex entail? Details.
One cannot just throw around 10 million and sports complex with giving details.
It is my understanding that Latrobe alumni have been reached out to for donations. And Unity Township will probably foot some of this bill as there is no money or space within the city of Latrobe.

I will say this, if that complex does not include an ice rink, it will be a much wasted area of space.
Turd

East Pittsburgh, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 21, 2012

Judged:

I think we should get rid of all schools and any public service(ie Police,Fire,Ambulance). I think we could get along without them.
LOK

Pittsburgh, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 21, 2012

Judged:

Podluckys' old place would be an awesome addition for the complex. The main building next to the road could be an indoor ice rink/multipurpose building the rest could be classrooms/administration. I can not wait to get new facilities. It'll be nice to centralize everything. Parking could be across the road where all of the buildings that were for sale are.
Hmmm

Pittsburgh, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 21, 2012

Judged:

Public? Exercise facility? or just gyms, training, etc. for students? If so...isn't $9,000,000 a bit MUCH?

West Alexander, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 21, 2012

Judged:

LOK wrote:
Podluckys' old place would be an awesome addition for the complex. The main building next to the road could be an indoor ice rink/multipurpose building the rest could be classrooms/administration. I can not wait to get new facilities. It'll be nice to centralize everything. Parking could be across the road where all of the buildings that were for sale are.
Have you ever been to other districts complexes? Those that are properly designed? Lenature's is hardly the right spot or location. What about outdoor space?

If this is thought through properly, it is a space that should encompass not only the districts sports, but also Parks and Rec programs, local sports associations...

The football program has its space, there are 2 gyms and the pool at the high school. The area could benefit from from additional multi purpose gym space- to hold indoor soccer games/tournaments, youth basketball programs, indoor practice for the various Latrobe sport programs. Outdoor space is required for those sports that benefit from indoor off season practice time put play during the season outdoors.

And this goes without saying, the Latrobe Ice hockey is more than deserving of its own playing surface. Ice time is a bit different than gym space. Other organizations would buy ice time for practice sessions and the like. For those not involved in hockey have no clue about the precious ice time and bottlenecks that occur at Nevin and Delmont.

Not all things that money is spent on is horrible. Some things can be profitable. I have a difficult time understanding folks who NEVER want to see improvemnets. Academia and althletics can coexist.

West Alexander, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 21, 2012

Hmmm wrote:
Public? Exercise facility? or just gyms, training, etc. for students? If so...isn't $9,000,000 a bit MUCH?
Yes, it needs to be a public space, I agree.

Since: Jan 11

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 21, 2012

Judged:

This project has been discussed here before. It does not include an ice hockey rink.

http://www.topix.com/forum/city/latrobe-pa/TV...

If I recall, it consists of upgrades and renovations only of the facilities around the high school. The track, football, softball and baseball practice facilities, cross country course, tennis courts.
REVITALIZE downtown

Greensburg, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 21, 2012

Judged:

Jim Moz wrote:
If I recall, it consists of upgrades and renovations only of the facilities around the high school. The track, football, softball and baseball practice facilities, cross country course, tennis courts.
If Latrobe had any competent leadership at all, this project would be set for construction within the city limits, not in Unity township, not in Youngstown. And, the project would be set for downtown Latrobe!

Latrobe remains asleep...and has no idea how to revitalize itself.

-----There's $10,000,000, coming form WCCC, and Latrobe has nothing planned to piggy back off of that.

-----Here's $9,000,000, coming from the School District, and Latrobe has no plans to piggy back off of that!

Now, here's a BRIGHT IDEA LATROBE REVITALIZATION COMMITTEE

-----Combine the two projects together and create something SIGNIFICANT to change the landscape of downtown forever.

-----Combine the two projects together and create something SIGNIFICANT

REVITALIZE downtown

Greensburg, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 21, 2012

Judged:

LOK wrote:
LOK baby, you're on the right track. And, if you and I had our ways, we'd have a running track encircling the old LeNature's property, and the hideous blue buildings that blocked 6th Ward from Downtown Latrobe, that encroached on the quiet lives of 6th Ward residents in horrible ways.

You and I would drop a nuclear warhead on LeNatures and use that piece of land for the prime piece of real estate that is always was, and should be seen as in the future!

We'd correct the loss of older people's right to quiet enjoyment of their 6th Ward homes, and we'd build something on the other side of the Loyalhanna that would connect Legion-Keener to it -- via a fabulous and magnificent bridge from Lloyd Avenue to Unity Street, to Legion Keener.

And yes for all the naysayers out there:

-----There is tons of money to build foot and traffic bridges in PA.

Since: Jan 11

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 21, 2012

Judged:

Boy, the dumb ideas just never stop pouring out of the woman from Herminie.

These are upgrades and renovations of existing practice and playing facilities at the high school.

Having sports facilities located at the high school is a _good_ thing, as it requires less time and travel of students on a daily basis.

The Latrobe School District is _much_ larger than the City of Latrobe, with an annual budget many times the size. The only thing they have in common is the name. To think that the city, which makes up a fraction of the school district's population, would hold much influence on decisions made by the school district, is a pipe dream.
REVITALIZE downtown

Greensburg, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 21, 2012

Judged:

Jim Moz wrote:
Boy, the dumb ideas just never stop pouring out of the woman from Herminie.
These are upgrades and renovations of existing practice and playing facilities at the high school.
Having sports facilities located at the high school is a _good_ thing, as it requires less time and travel of students on a daily basis.
The Latrobe School District is _much_ larger than the City of Latrobe, with an annual budget many times the size. The only thing they have in common is the name. To think that the city, which makes up a fraction of the school district's population, would hold much influence on decisions made by the school district, is a pipe dream.
It is curious that the City of Latrobe, pop. 8,250, with an annual budget of $4,400,000, can't hold a candle to the Latrobe School district's budget of $52,000,000, serving a student body the size of...hold on...4,207 students.

How is it that Latrobe residents, 8,250 have a budget of a mere $4,400,000, while half the number of students have a budget the size of Canada?

Yes Mr. Moz, it's always good to keep your head in the sand, and believe that rebuilding deteriorating buildings, in Unity Township, is good for Latrobe.

Yes Mr. Moz, there's absolutely no reason to "think out of the box" because, well, some change for the better might actually take place in Latrobe, if someone "thinks" differently than the losing mentality in place for the last 40-years.
REVITALIZE downtown

Greensburg, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 21, 2012

Judged:

Jim Moz wrote:
To think that the city, which makes up a fraction of the school district's population, would hold much influence on decisions made by the school district, is a pipe dream.
God forbid that someone in Latrobe bring ideas together, bring people together, and collaborate on "joint" ventures. But, I guess that's what businesspeople are for, the Revitalization committee, the Chamber of Commerce.

Yes, Latrobe's little factions, and their little in-wars, are all working together, so well, to create a new and dynamic Latrobe.

Keep the "status quo" in place, for I'd like to revisit Latrobe in 2050 to see that not a thing has changed and that it declined into even greater civic collapse
Giovanni

Latrobe, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 21, 2012

Judged:

It will be 9 million now, and many more million each year after to maintain

Are you people CRAZY ?

Remember....the drinks are always stinger when you are pouring some other persons booze.

$ 9 million because they saved $ 10 million ?????

Let them keep installing more soda machines in the schools, because that (School Board Members) are smoking the unmarked ones
HERESAY

Miamisburg, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 21, 2012

If this would be approved (God forbid) why would it be built in Latrobe? It's earmarked for school district revitalization; not the city of Latrobe. Figure it out yourself, Latrobe.
REVITALIZE downtown

Greensburg, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 21, 2012

Judged:

HERESAY wrote:
If this would be approved (God forbid) why would it be built in Latrobe? It's earmarked for school district revitalization; not the city of Latrobe. Figure it out yourself, Latrobe.
Sometimes in the business world, power-brokers introduce people to each other, to build projects greater than what they'd planned, because they -- and here it is -- combine resources, to create something magnificent.
lat

Irwin, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 21, 2012

Judged:

This project is meant for the high school not for downtown Latrobe. it makes no logical sense to put it downtown, by doing so the school would incurr even more money problems with having to bus the students to the facility. Having this at the school makes perfect sense both money wise and student wise.

I don't have a problem with the renovations that they want to do. The alumni have been planning and raising money for this for many years (i remember hearing about it back in 06-07 at a high school event because they were taking donations back then for this) and if this is where they want to see the money they raised directed then i am fine with that.

If any of you think that there is a need elsewhere by all means make a plan and start raising your own funds for it but don't dictate how money specifically raised for one thing should go elsewhere because you think so.

I have to agree with Pixar that an ice arena should be considered. Financially i think the district could in fact make money on it.
REVITALIZE downtown

Greensburg, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 21, 2012

Judged:

lat wrote:
This project is meant for the high school not for downtown Latrobe. it makes no logical sense to put it downtown, by doing so the school would incurr even more money problems with having to bus the students to the facility. Having this at the school makes perfect sense both money wise and student wise.
I don't have a problem with the renovations that they want to do. The alumni have been planning and raising money for this for many years (i remember hearing about it back in 06-07 at a high school event because they were taking donations back then for this) and if this is where they want to see the money they raised directed then i am fine with that.
If any of you think that there is a need elsewhere by all means make a plan and start raising your own funds for it but don't dictate how money specifically raised for one thing should go elsewhere because you think so.
I have to agree with Pixar that an ice arena should be considered. Financially i think the district could in fact make money on it.
It makes every logical, business-minded -- community-minded -- sense to put a $9,000,000 project into DEAD downtown Latrobe.

Fer you youngins...Latrobe High School started off on Main Street in DOWNTWON Latrobe, then moved to Ligonier Street. If the "city" of Latrobe had a brain, it would be BEGGING the school district of Latrobe, to infuse the city with this funding.

It further makes complete sense to combine the $10,000,000 WCCC project with the $9,000,000, sports project to create a $20,000,000 influx of capital into DEAD DOWNTOWN LATROBE.

INFUSING DOWNTOWN LATROBE -- DEAD -- downtwon Latrobe, with $20,000,000, in a JOINT PROJECT to reflect the town's only area of success over the years, Legion-Keener and sports programs, makes total sense to me.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

15 Users are viewing the Latrobe Forum right now

Search the Latrobe Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
PA Who do you support for Governor in Pennsylvania... (Oct '10) 1 hr Obamas Border Sedition 51,188
PA Who do you support for U.S. Senate in Pennsylva... (Oct '10) 1 hr Plagiarists Are Liars Too 3,814
What happened at route 30 Taco Bell 13 hr in the know 8
Should terms of teacher contracts be public ? Jul 22 Hot dog 16
Chappaquiddick Incident Jul 22 Can You Read Me Now 2
Is Chuck's auto a decent foreign car repair shop? (Mar '11) Jul 22 Derryguy 16
old timers league (Apr '12) Jul 22 Blartowsky 9
•••
•••
•••
Latrobe Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••