DA's Office: No charges filed against...

DA's Office: No charges filed against officer

There are 47 comments on the Farmington Daily Times story from Mar 16, 2010, titled DA's Office: No charges filed against officer. In it, Farmington Daily Times reports that:

No criminal charges will be filed against Roque Velarde, the Farmington police officer accused of shoving his girlfriend following a night of drinking at a local bar.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Farmington Daily Times.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Since: Sep 09

Orange, TX

#1 Mar 16, 2010
Everyone knows that if an average joe does this then their butts would be in a bind. People I pray will wise up one day and treat cops like everyone else. Just because San Juan is a Soiern County Does not make right for the police force to be able to push people or mates or phically touch a mate or friend esspicaly outside a public establishment when he is suppose to uphold the law and protect and not mistreat his mate or anyone else. He should not be drinking because reamember it only takes 2 beers or one shot of alochol to be at a 0.08. So evidently if he was this biligerent to his girlfrend then he was past 0.08 therefor leagly drivind drunk and should be punished to the full extent of the law as a regular taxpaying citizen would. People need to demand better results for your hard earned tax dollars.
Surprise Surprise

United States

#3 Mar 16, 2010
Act Right wrote:
Everyone knows that if an average joe does this then their butts would be in a bind. People I pray will wise up one day and treat cops like everyone else. Just because San Juan is a Soiern County Does not make right for the police force to be able to push people or mates or phically touch a mate or friend esspicaly outside a public establishment when he is suppose to uphold the law and protect and not mistreat his mate or anyone else. He should not be drinking because reamember it only takes 2 beers or one shot of alochol to be at a 0.08. So evidently if he was this biligerent to his girlfrend then he was past 0.08 therefor leagly drivind drunk and should be punished to the full extent of the law as a regular taxpaying citizen would. People need to demand better results for your hard earned tax dollars.
What are you talking about?? San Juan is a (Soiern) county????? If you are trying to compare SJ county to the NN you are a little off base. Your alochol analogy is also a bit flawed each person has a different tolerance and metabolizes booze differently. Besides
Sweet

Albuquerque, NM

#4 Mar 16, 2010
Act Right wrote:
Everyone knows that if an average joe does this then their butts would be in a bind. People I pray will wise up one day and treat cops like everyone else. Just because San Juan is a Soiern County Does not make right for the police force to be able to push people or mates or phically touch a mate or friend esspicaly outside a public establishment when he is suppose to uphold the law and protect and not mistreat his mate or anyone else. He should not be drinking because reamember it only takes 2 beers or one shot of alochol to be at a 0.08. So evidently if he was this biligerent to his girlfrend then he was past 0.08 therefor leagly drivind drunk and should be punished to the full extent of the law as a regular taxpaying citizen would. People need to demand better results for your hard earned tax dollars.
You can't spell, can't make a decent point, don't know when to capitalize words, throw out bs facts about blood alcohol content as it relates to the number of drinks a person needs to get to .08, yet expect someone to take your opinion seriously. Really????

Wow - I've wasted two minutes of my life that I will never get back.

You are the kind of person that whines and complains about the police... until you need them.

Lastly what the hell is a "Soiern county"? Never heard that one. Do you mean "sovereign"? You missed a few letters there champ.
bottom ash

Albuquerque, NM

#5 Mar 16, 2010
Blame it on the ALCOHOL. Firewater. Can't handle his Firewater. Maybe got angry after some guy was eyeballing his mate. Sounds like the Urban Cowboy movie scene.
Pimp Hand

Albuquerque, NM

#6 Mar 16, 2010
Ain't nothing wrong with keeping your woman in line every now and then.

Gotta keep your pimp hand strong
Used to be Free

United States

#7 Mar 16, 2010
Pigs get a free pass.

I was recently prosecuted for "assault" for merely raising my voice.

The "law" is for us, not them.

Welcome to the U.S.S.A.
Whiteman

Newcomb, NM

#8 Mar 16, 2010
Used to be Free wrote:
Pigs get a free pass.
I was recently prosecuted for "assault" for merely raising my voice.
The "law" is for us, not them.
Welcome to the U.S.S.A.
you are pitiful, moron, go back to prison and stay there.
Whiteman

Newcomb, NM

#9 Mar 16, 2010
Surprise Surprise wrote:
<quoted text>What are you talking about?? San Juan is a (Soiern) county????? If you are trying to compare SJ county to the NN you are a little off base. Your alochol analogy is also a bit flawed each person has a different tolerance and metabolizes booze differently. Besides
The shoving allegation did not occur on the NN and why compare the departments.
Good Grief

Farmington, NM

#10 Mar 16, 2010
Whiteman, you sound like a cop. I know you guys support each other. It's like a club, they can't stand up to each other even if they are wrong. Listen, we don't have to worry about people from outside our country to defeat us we just have to worry about inside our country. A person once said we will be defeat from within not from the outside. The cop situation didn't surprise me at the least. It's the norm in Farmington.
Rocky

Fort Worth, TX

#11 Mar 16, 2010
In posting comments to the initial article, I urged that everyone wait for the results of the investigation before rushing to judgement.

It looks like the criminal side of this is in the officer's favor. There is still the internal investigation results to see.

Waiting for results sure keeps a person from putting their foot in their mouth.
real world

Albuquerque, NM

#12 Mar 16, 2010
can you say witness tampering ??
real world

Albuquerque, NM

#13 Mar 16, 2010
Sweet and surprise does it make you feel superior to ridicule spelling and grammar ?And to all police every where please stop using the line, we put our lives on the line each time you want a raise . It makes me wonder when did it occur to you that you chose a dangerous job and who made you take it ?
check it

Albuquerque, NM

#14 Mar 16, 2010
the daily times should get copies of the reports to see what was reported and not rely on what the da is telling them. That would give us citizens an opportunity to decide on how much can trust the police and district attorney.
Whiteman

Newcomb, NM

#15 Mar 16, 2010
Good Grief wrote:
Whiteman, you sound like a cop. I know you guys support each other. It's like a club, they can't stand up to each other even if they are wrong. Listen, we don't have to worry about people from outside our country to defeat us we just have to worry about inside our country. A person once said we will be defeat from within not from the outside. The cop situation didn't surprise me at the least. It's the norm in Farmington.
If you are a law abiding citizen, you need not worry about contending with the law and judicial system, including jails and prisons. If you are respectful to everyone including the law enforcement officers, you will be respected as well. Officers (cop) are required to support each other in times of peace and dangers for the safety of life and property. If you do not understand this, you may find yourself in trouble times. I am not a cop, just a citizen.
f-towngurl

Littleton, CO

#16 Mar 16, 2010
It sure didn't look like to me he moved her out of the way to get to his truck. He looked like a raving lunatic. The police who were there never asked any of us in the parking lot that watched the tough guy that night. I saw them get into it inside the bar as well as him with another guy. As sad as it is to say he'll do it again and maybe she won't be as lucky next time. Way to go FPD I feel save knowing your real thoughts against domestic violence I hope I never need you. The FPD and the district attorney have lost my faith. I thought with the newspaper articles you were going to make a difference in the violence against women.
Good Grief

Farmington, NM

#17 Mar 16, 2010
Whiteman wrote:
<quoted text>
If you are a law abiding citizen, you need not worry about contending with the law and judicial system, including jails and prisons. If you are respectful to everyone including the law enforcement officers, you will be respected as well. Officers (cop) are required to support each other in times of peace and dangers for the safety of life and property. If you do not understand this, you may find yourself in trouble times. I am not a cop, just a citizen.
I totally agree with you. In a real world that would happen but when cops push their weight around because they have the power to arrest you if you disagree with them. That is abuse and being overzealous. I do support them but they don't seem to support me. In the area of supporting each other that is true but they have what they call "ethics." They shouldn't support each other if their partner is breaking the law themselves. Standing up against "sour" cops will gain the public's respect. At least we know there are still some honest cops still exist.
bottom line

United States

#18 Mar 16, 2010
If there's any evidence of an altercation of a physical nature involving a person with whom the offender has an intimate relationship then it's considered domestic violence and that person is SUPPOSED to be taken into custoday and put thru the system. Period. If this had occured and the person involved were not a police officer then that person would be dealing with the DA and the court system. The fact that he is an officer of the law, and allegedly has broken the law he sworn to uphold, he was afforded extra consideration and spared all of the things that go along with being taken into custody. It was most likely not an incident worthy of forcing a person to be subjected to the mandatory laws involving DV. However, there are a great many people paying their debt to society at this very moment who I'm sure were in identical situations yet did not know the system well enough to possibly "coach" the witness (even though a restraining order prohibiting any and all contact should have been applied). I do not know if this occured but I'm also quite sure there are many among those who have had arguments with their significant others, whom they love very much and would never harm, and those mates later regreted that anything had to involve law-enforcement authorities. Unfortunately, that no longer has any bearing on what happens once it hits the courts. this officer is a very fortunate person due to his profession. Maybe there are others worthy of the same consideration but do not happen to be police officers? that's really the main question to be addressed, I believe.
Farmington Resident

United States

#19 Mar 16, 2010
The police are not here to create disorder. The police are here to preserve disorder. -Mayor Richard Daley Quotes
navaneck

United States

#20 Mar 16, 2010
officers superior is either brisbo or scott
Jabberwock

Farmington, NM

#21 Mar 16, 2010
Is anyone surprized by this news item? Law enforcement looking out for their own.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Las Vegas Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Jail guard takes bribe, allows inmate sex (Apr '08) May '16 Traci 9
News Parents clash over giving same gifts to differe... (Jun '08) May '16 Unhappy 37
Marisa Valeriano (Apr '12) May '16 Grrr 4
Sheriff Candidates May '16 Grrr 2
May Move To Las Vegas NM (Apr '14) May '16 Grrr 6
News BLS: Albuquerque near bottom in U.S. job rankings (Aug '11) Feb '16 Lsrry 46
News Ernestine Hagman (Dec '09) Feb '16 jeremy ortiz 2

Las Vegas Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Las Vegas Mortgages