NMSU taps presidental search firm for $90,000

Jan 18, 2013 Full story: Las Cruces Sun-News 9

New Mexico State University will pay a search firm $90,000 to assist in finding the university's next president.

Full Story
studentsfirst

Las Cruces, NM

#1 Jan 18, 2013
Where does this money come from?
Elsie YesSir

Las Cruces, NM

#2 Jan 19, 2013
Well, the Trustees have shown that they are not capable of finding presidents, and they need to recall that it was a faculty search committee that found the only recent president who was by any measure a great president. The ones since then have all been unsuccessful. And we turned down a dean who wanted to be president and who is now president of Montana State University. Our loss!! I wish our Board had one iota of common sense. In these comments, I know whereof I speak.
Elsie YesSir

Las Cruces, NM

#3 Jan 19, 2013
studentsfirst wrote:
Answer: Your pocket boook.
Elsie YesSir

Las Cruces, NM

#4 Jan 19, 2013
OOps, one too many letters o. You can take that to be a zero, which is a measure of the common sense that the NMSU Board has.
APPAUSEPLEASE

Santa Fe, NM

#5 Jan 20, 2013
The regents are just trying to provide cover so
when the next bust of a golden parchute dragger
happens they can point fingers at the firm that
did their work.

Another $90K down the tubes courtesy of the
taxpayer.
Elsie YesSir

Las Cruces, NM

#6 Jan 25, 2013
studentsfirst wrote:
Well, if you pay taxes, it comes from your pocket. Everyone seems to know this, except for the Board of Regents. And I am bored of many of the actions of those Regents. The Governor should replace them all.
Las Cruces retiree

Las Cruces, NM

#7 Jan 25, 2013
Elsie YesSir wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, if you pay taxes, it comes from your pocket. Everyone seems to know this, except for the Board of Regents. And I am bored of many of the actions of those Regents. The Governor should replace them all.
Elsie,
I understand your position. Generally I agree with you all the time. Here are some details of an actual search committee that you might find interesting.

Lets say we have a search committee of fifteen people and seventy applicants. The job of the committee is to first narrow the pool down from seventy to around ten. Each of the seventy applicants submits a vita. The seventy packets are centrally located in a couple of boxes. A sign-out sheet is prepared. When a committee member takes a vita, he/she initials that they have the packet. When the packet is returned, the committee member again initals to indicate that he/she has returned the packet.

The committee meets. Conceptually, all fifteen members have examined all seventy packets. A glance at the sign-out sheet indicates that committee member X has only looked at 1/3 of the packets. At the meeting, committee member X loudly berates applicant Y. The sign-out sheet indicates that committee member X has not even looked at applicant's Y's file. My gut tells me that committee member X is a loud-mouthed windbag. Should I keep my mouth shut or challenge the windbag, who happens to work in my college? In this case, I kept my mouth shut. My decision followed the path of least resistance and promoted within-the-college harmony. However, it was probably not the best call for the university as a whole. A case can be made in favor of an independent outside search firm.

Elsie YesSir

Las Cruces, NM

#8 Jan 26, 2013
studentsfirst wrote:
Your pocket book, of course. How can anyone not know this?
Elsie YesSir

Las Cruces, NM

#9 Jan 26, 2013
I apologize for my repetitions, but I am hoping that some Regent will take notice. But then, why should I presume that the Regents can read?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Las Cruces Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Review: Buckle 5 hr thank 1
Some Mexicans leaving US, planning never to return (Dec '08) 10 hr Hans Smit 15,726
School supplies needed for low-income families (Aug '10) 18 hr trker trt 29
Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel (Jun '08) 21 hr STEFANO COLONNA 70,159
dumbascaps running for the woodwork Thu Bloodonhishands 3
$360 out of your pocket! Oct 29 watchdog1 2
Holiday shopping deals can be found online - fast (Oct '10) Oct 28 Sharon Tatum 5
Las Cruces Dating
Find my Match

Las Cruces People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Las Cruces News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Las Cruces

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]