CLUCK petitions Las Cruces to change ...

CLUCK petitions Las Cruces to change chicken law

There are 26 comments on the Las Cruces Sun-News story from Apr 6, 2009, titled CLUCK petitions Las Cruces to change chicken law. In it, Las Cruces Sun-News reports that:

If elected city officials are going to continue to promote a "green" Las Cruces, some residents are suggesting that they may want to serve it up to residents with some eggs.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Las Cruces Sun-News.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
stacy

Las Cruces, NM

#1 Apr 7, 2009
Bring on the chickens!!
Ron Nesler

Evansville, IN

#2 Apr 7, 2009
I lived on the then far East Mesa of Las Cruces when that area was involuntarily annexed to float the boats of Mr Steinborn and Mr Phillipou. I had kept hens for the eggs for many years. But working out of town for a couple of years had broken the continuity of my hen keeping and kept my chicken house from being grandfathered in when we were involuntarily annexed. I had many conversations about this situation with my then city councilor John Haltom. In discussing the reasons why he felt that I should not be allowed to keep hens inside the city Mr Haltom once expressed the view that "someone might step on an egg and be injured" if hens were allowed inside the city limits. This was a great indicator of Mr Haltom's (and most politician's) purely city slicker view of the issue and complete lack of understanding of henfolk. Keeping hens is a great deal more neighbor friendly than keeping tethered dogs or holding loud raucous parties or having a home mechanic shop in a residential area. I say let the hens be legal! It will increase everybody's quality of life and also help little kiddos understand that food does not just magically appear in those cute little packages in the grocery store.
giveitallaway

Las Cruces, NM

#3 Apr 7, 2009
If a totally urban city like Santa Monica CA allows chickens, why can't a small city like Las Cruces?
lcnative

Tinnie, NM

#4 Apr 7, 2009
Most people here can't care for a cat, certainly not their own children, and you want to allow them to have chickens..... what a joke!
Silvia

Las Cruces, NM

#5 Apr 7, 2009
Backyard hens not only provide fresh, high quality eggs for your family; they also provide natural insect control. Please change the ordinance and allow backyard hens.
Common Sense

United States

#6 Apr 7, 2009
I have been intrigued by keeping hens for fresh eggs for some time. I researched the types of small coops and found out about the natural insect control hens provide besides the fresh eggs. When I indexed the communities who allowed hens I was surprised and pleased to find a number of progressive large communities allowed a limited number of hens in the city limits. I was disappointed to find that Las Cruces was not one of the communities that allowed citizens to keep chickens. In keeping with agricultural base this should be allowed
Just wondering

Albuquerque, NM

#7 Apr 7, 2009
Since it happens already (I've heard the roosters in the old part of town), it's a good idea to legalize chickens with properly restrictions for odor and noise. The rule should be broad enough to allow not only chickens but other small animals. Offhand rabbits come to mind, but I'm sure there are others.
Is it really about

Albuquerque, NM

#8 Apr 7, 2009
keeping chickens for the eggs and soup, or a way to legitimize the keeping of roosters for cockfighting?
CarefullyWishing

Las Cruces, NM

#9 Apr 7, 2009
We need to be careful what we wish for. Sure chickens eat bugs...if you allow them to roam freely. If we allow that chickens will scratch up all the neighboring gardens. Also chickens attract rodents. Do we really want rats, mice, and squirrels infesting our homes? Chickens may not crow in the middle of the night but they are not noise free, especially at laying time. With the cost of feed these days its simply not cost efficient to raise your own eggs. And finally, chickens do smell, especially in the hot summer months. I have chickens, but if I had close neighbors I would not. Inside the city limits is no place for them if you want to maintain any kind of friendly neighbor relations.
Greenjeans

Roy, WA

#10 Apr 7, 2009
I propose that before Council permits poultry in the City that the High Range neighborhood be used as a testing ground and that all Councilmembers be required to either raise or live next to poultry for at least 6 months.If Council then supports this action I will accept it and be mightily surprised that they still support this ill advised action.Noise,rodents(which are a preferred food source for blacktail and diamondback rattlesnakes)smell,& vermin are but a few reasons that poultry have been relegated to agricultural rather than urban residential zones.You would spend less in purchasing eggs than in buying feed and fencing on a monthly basis.I've raised chickens,I know.
Jon

Albuquerque, NM

#11 Apr 7, 2009
Is it really about wrote:
keeping chickens for the eggs and soup, or a way to legitimize the keeping of roosters for cockfighting?
I am certain roosters will still be banned.
Some food for thought

Albuquerque, NM

#12 Apr 7, 2009
The green people behind this idea are liberals, which means that they're not going to let you frydaddy or soup du jour your chickens...that would be inhumane.

You need to know...chickens do attract rodents, but they'll also eat them. They can easily fly over a 6' fence, even higher, so in order to keep the peace and your chicken on your own lot, you'll more than likely have to keep them caged...not free-roaming. And, that may result in some pretty unhappy chickens, because if their cage is not large enough they will get stressed and begin to peck at eachother. That will bring about open wounds, which may cause infection and disease. As far as what they can do to your little piece of environment...let me put it this way, if they're freely roaming in your backyard, then you can say good-bye to any and all landscaping you may have poured your sweat and money into, because they will scratch out everything, and leave some nice potholes where they enjoy their dustbaths. One other thing, you will need to watch your step...they leave their droppings on everything.
Some food for thought

Albuquerque, NM

#13 Apr 7, 2009
One more thing...if you don't feed your chickens sufficient protein, whether its through feed, or by allowing them to forage, your layers won't lay. And, if they're allowed to forage for their food, you'll have to make sure that your backyard is well stocked with bugs, rodents, and grasses/weeds.
lcnative

Tinnie, NM

#14 Apr 8, 2009
Now that educated folks have explained to us all how allowing chickens to be kept by Crucens is a bad idea, it will get passed. If it were something we all wanted, it would go ignored.
hector delgado

United States

#15 Apr 8, 2009
The problem with legalization of chicken are not with the responsible people who would keep the chickens...but those persons that would have 20-30 in a backyard. I say NO to this crazy ordinance. If you want chickens then move outside of city limits and buy your eggs at the market like everyone else.
Chickens YES

Chaparral, NM

#16 Apr 22, 2009
lcnative wrote:
Most people here can't care for a cat, certainly not their own children, and you want to allow them to have chickens..... what a joke!
So, you are going to judge as to whether or not I can care for chickens? Please. Do you typically lump all people into the same category?
Sarah

Chaparral, NM

#17 Apr 22, 2009
Some food for thought wrote:
The green people behind this idea are liberals, which means that they're not going to let you frydaddy or soup du jour your chickens...that would be inhumane.
Again, someone who is placing their stereotypes out there. I am NOT liberal.

Why can't people stop lumping people into one category and realize that there just isn't ONE type of person who supports this?
Sarah

Chaparral, NM

#18 Apr 22, 2009
hector delgado wrote:
The problem with legalization of chicken are not with the responsible people who would keep the chickens...but those persons that would have 20-30 in a backyard. I say NO to this crazy ordinance. If you want chickens then move outside of city limits and buy your eggs at the market like everyone else.
Hector, or you could just move somewhere else - say, the state you're in? If you don't like it, don't live here. Obviously, you don't.
Bill

United States

#19 May 11, 2009
I understand the City of Las Cruces is considering an ordinance proposal allowing citizens to care for and maintain chickens within the city limits of Las Cruces. As a homeowner in Las Cruces I respectfully submit approval for such an action. Currently I'm employed by Dallas ISD. My summer vacation time is spent with family living in Las Cruces who also support such an ordinance.

My current residence is Dallas, Texas. Dallas ordinance allows for up to five hens and no roosters to be kept within the city. It's an ordinance that has proved to be successful and appreciated. It has been successful here because the ordinance opposes keeping roosters that easily annoy neighbors and is appreciated by poultry keepers who enjoy raising hens as pets and egg producers.

I'm nearing retirement and would like to be able to legally keep a small flock of chickens (hens) in my backyard as a hobby and as a source for organic fresh eggs. Roosters are more of a problem than they are worth for city neighbors and should not be allowed. Several larger cities allow for small backyard flocks of hens within the city limit. I hope an ordinance passes allowing citizens residing within the city limits of Las Cruces to humanely, legally and responsibly maintain a small flock of hens.
Frederick

Las Cruces, NM

#20 Oct 30, 2009
Is there a petition floating around to continue the ban on urban chickens? If so, I would certainly sign it.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Las Cruces Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Former President Clinton to campaign for Hillar... 5 hr Johanne 77
News Martinez prefers to stick to issues (Jun '10) Mon Linda 6,855
News Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel (Jun '08) Mon dGo mnaDed lyHo i... 72,026
One hour air / ecomax May 27 DorianLord 1
News Gov. Martinez appoints Las Crucen to judicial p... (Mar '11) May 26 Lucile 35
News Goal of Alamogordo's police chief is transparancy May 25 Yep 4
News Synthetic marijuana known as K2 or Spice outlaw... (Apr '11) May 25 Usnjohn 33
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Las Cruces Mortgages