New laws take effect July 1 in N.M.

There are 20 comments on the Alamogordo Daily News story from Jun 21, 2011, titled New laws take effect July 1 in N.M.. In it, Alamogordo Daily News reports that:

Police will collect DNA samples from everybody arrested in a felony case in New Mexico starting July 1. The bill, called Katie's Law, expands an existing statute that required DNA collections in certain felonies, mostly crimes of violence.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Alamogordo Daily News.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
WARRIOR

Washington, DC

#42 Jul 3, 2011
Huh wrote:
<quoted text>
what? Twisted logic.
Thanks! I am attempting to see things your way for a change.
WARRIOR

Washington, DC

#43 Jul 3, 2011
Huh wrote:
<quoted text>
what? Twisted logic.
Like I said I put my head temporarily up my assss so I could finally see your point of view!
sounds

Santa Fe, NM

#44 Jul 3, 2011
WARRIOR wrote:
<quoted text>Like I said I put my head temporarily up my assss
like that is its permanent home.
WARRIOR

Washington, DC

#45 Jul 3, 2011
sounds wrote:
<quoted text>
like that is its permanent home.
I heard they had to install a window in your belly so you could see where you were going!
MeanMan

Sherwood, OR

#48 Jul 3, 2011
WARRIOR wrote:
I like how liberals always talk about the Constitution and how even though it was written by mortal man it should be followed as they interpret when it fits their agenda. But, they will dismiss the Bible in a second just because it was written by mortal man!
I don't dismiss the bible because of my politics or because it was written by human beings. I dismiss it because it's a crock of horsesh1t.
WARRIOR

Washington, DC

#49 Jul 8, 2011
MeanMan wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't dismiss the bible because of my politics or because it was written by human beings. I dismiss it because it's a crock of horsesh1t.
So you have a lot in common with the bible I take it!
Srkrause

Farmington, NM

#50 Jul 9, 2011
The TEXAN wrote:
I wonder if i can get my pigs some protection from petifilers?......
i guss, i can ask you folks, with no lifes and sit at the cmputer all that question...well?
The Shadow knows.........circa 2011
. How funny seeing as ur at the CP TOO!!!
Allen

Tijeras, NM

#51 Jul 10, 2011
WARRIOR wrote:
I like how liberals always talk about the Constitution and how even though it was written by mortal man it should be followed as they interpret when it fits their agenda. But, they will dismiss the Bible in a second just because it was written by mortal man!
One is the law of our land and the other is a fairy tale. The U.S.Constitution is based on reality and every American lives under its protection. If you believe in the Bible fine but don't compare it to the Constitution.
Allen

Tijeras, NM

#52 Jul 10, 2011
TDK wrote:
I think this is a great law. Don't be an a$% and break the law and there will be no issue for you.
I agree. Every time I hear of DNA being used he either proved someone was guilty or saved an innocent person. So what's so wrong? If fingerprints haven't been an issue then I don't see any problem with getting DNA either.

“Irony, metaphor, film @ eleven”

Since: Feb 08

Old Mesilla/New Las Cruces

#53 Jul 10, 2011
If Katie's killer had been on DNA record earlier, this case would have been solved and closed earlier.

Plain and simple, and a fact.

When you commit a crime and you leave your DNA behind at the crime scene(s) and two-plus-two add up to .... you were there and your DNA ties you to the crime....
crime investigation has a much better chance of clearing the crime. Are you actually guilty? Let a jury with the facts sort that out.

We are more secure and safe as a society where the inmates want to run the asylum and thanks to greedy defense lawyers, they do and we are.

If you have a problem with this new law, I actually hope your DNA is on file somewhere.

Only a nervous cat wags it's tail.

Since: May 11

Location hidden

#54 Jul 11, 2011
It's a complicated issuefor me. I do worry about the potential for misuse of DNA. I know the claim is that the DNA will only be used for use in identifying criminals.I worry it is only a matter of time before its uses are expanded. Maybe the government will think it's a health issue so your DNA will be accessed by other agencies for "public health reasons". I know, probably big brother paranoia on my part.

(Just a thought: in 1936 when the US instituted the use of social security numbers it was expressly stated that the number was not to be used as identification. Then in the '80s the government decided that it is indeed a great way to identify you and retracted the "not to be used for identification". Now your ssn is used to ID you everywhere and ID theft by ssn is rampant.)

On the other hand, I do think if you have been convicted of a felony you lose your right to privacy. Also,catching creatures like the beast who abducted and murdered Katie (and Carly, & other innocent souls murdered in NM)does need to be a priority.

Like I said. Complicated issue for me but I guess it's irrelevant as the law has passed. Now we'll have to wait & see how it works- good, bad or otherwise.
still dancin

Phoenix, AZ

#55 Jul 11, 2011
The blatant crimes that are being committed today needs everybodys DNA. And more.
WARRIOR

Washington, DC

#56 Jul 13, 2011
Allen wrote:
<quoted text>
One is the law of our land and the other is a fairy tale. The U.S.Constitution is based on reality and every American lives under its protection. If you believe in the Bible fine but don't compare it to the Constitution.
The bible was around long before the Constitution. In reality the Founding Fathers believed in GOD unlike you liberals.

“Fact, Belief, Opinion,or Truth”

Since: May 11

Fat Cottonwood

#57 Jul 13, 2011
WARRIOR wrote:
<quoted text>The bible was around long before the Constitution. In reality the Founding Fathers believed in GOD unlike you liberals.
Blah, Blah, Blah, Blah, Blah....
watchdog1

Rio Rancho, NM

#58 Jul 13, 2011
Hillary wrote:
<quoted text>
Not long. This country is full of highly educated people (no common sense at all) and they will rightfully sign away all the constitutional rights. Did You hear that? Goose stepping sounds of the blind loyalist.
To all the people calling this person clueless. A phrase in the late 1930's. "In this modern age no govenrment would ever do barbaric things to people." This was addressing Germany!
Start readying your Damnedd History.Or you can start repeating it.
watchdog1

Rio Rancho, NM

#59 Jul 13, 2011
Allen wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree. Every time I hear of DNA being used he either proved someone was guilty or saved an innocent person. So what's so wrong? If fingerprints haven't been an issue then I don't see any problem with getting DNA either.
20/20 or the such did an interesting article that it has been proven that the Fingerprints are somewhat PR. and are many times totally wrong. In other words they are a myth. Check it out.
MeanMan

United States

#60 Jul 25, 2011
WARRIOR wrote:
<quoted text>The bible was around long before the Constitution. In reality the Founding Fathers believed in GOD unlike you liberals.
I wish the founders were around today, not to teach you a lesson (you're willfully ineducable), but so they could laugh themselves back to death at people like you.
MeanMan

United States

#61 Jul 25, 2011
WARRIOR wrote:
<quoted text>So you have a lot in common with the bible I take it!
You're actually agreeing with me that the bible is a crock of horse sh1t?
WARRIOR

Washington, DC

#62 Jul 26, 2011
MeanMan wrote:
<quoted text>
You're actually agreeing with me that the bible is a crock of horse sh1t?
Just like you..........
bob

Carlsbad, NM

#63 Jul 26, 2011
Chaos Undercover wrote:
<quoted text>
Its not pro constitution, nor is it against the constitution. When one gets arrested and it booked they have to give up finger prints, so whats the difference in giving up some DNA?
If one doesnt want to give up their DNA then they should keep their nose outta trouble. Yes they are innocent until proven guilty, but for a person to be arrested there has to be reasonable proof that he or she committed the crime.
jesus, mlk, rosa parks, ghandi, mandela all arrested with reasonable proof.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Las Cruces Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Debate: Marijuana - Las Cruces, NM (Aug '10) May 1 Beth Blevins rela... 195
ISIS Camp a Few Miles from Texas, Mexican Autho... Apr 29 EatPrayDie 3
News Martinez prefers to stick to issues (Jun '10) Apr 28 Corinn 6,370
News Sen. Mary Kay Papen: No legal barrier to making... Apr 28 sheryl 2
Gang problems in Las Cruces (Sep '07) Apr 27 eastside 193
Lost Chihuahua/terrier "Darlin' (neighbors) Apr 27 yankeedudell 2
News Public Payrolls 2015: Sheriff's department says... Apr 26 Bloodonhishands 1
More from around the web

Las Cruces People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]