LCPD officer investigated over Taser use

LCPD officer investigated over Taser use

There are 82 comments on the Las Cruces Sun-News story from Dec 15, 2010, titled LCPD officer investigated over Taser use. In it, Las Cruces Sun-News reports that:

The Las Cruces Police Department is investigating whether an officer acted properly by using his Taser on a 49-year-old man who was being transported to the hospital, department spokesman Dan Trujillo said Wednesday.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Las Cruces Sun-News.

First Prev
of 5
Next Last
Goober

Albuquerque, NM

#1 Dec 16, 2010
That officer probably shocked his heart back to the right beat. lol. They didn't even have to use paddles
Margret

Muscle Shoals, AL

#2 Dec 16, 2010
There really has to be more training for police officers on how to deal with situations such as these. The man who was tased was sick, he's not a criminal (at least not according to the article). Tasing him could have caused further complications. Teach your police officers some critical thinking skills, guns and tasers are not the solution to every crisis.
the agoge

Las Cruces, NM

#3 Dec 16, 2010
family cant control him. medical personal cant control him, police cant control him. what are the alternatives? a doctor can shoot him full of seditives until he drools and pisses on himself and that is ok. look people, some folks need to have thier behavior controled. and talking sometimes does not get it done.

Since: Oct 08

Location hidden

#4 Dec 16, 2010
If you're a cop, you're not supposed to be playing around with the taser...

"Don't taze me bro..."
opinion man

United States

#5 Dec 16, 2010
what? good job lcpd again ' what part of the 49 year old gentleman being of need of medical attention did this untrained officer not understand?the man needed a doctor not a gunho cowboy with a tasser gun.when this officers family needs a doctor does he taze them?come on man whats going on take a couple of minutes and really think about it.does the mayor know?has anyone evaluated this officer,and his off the wall judgement?
Come on

Farmington, NM

#6 Dec 16, 2010
opinion man wrote:
what? good job lcpd again ' what part of the 49 year old gentleman being of need of medical attention did this untrained officer not understand?the man needed a doctor not a gunho cowboy with a tasser gun.when this officers family needs a doctor does he taze them?come on man whats going on take a couple of minutes and really think about it.does the mayor know?has anyone evaluated this officer,and his off the wall judgement?
That's right, next time they should use brute force to restrain him since he didn't want to listen and was possible a threat to himself and others. The we can sue the department for unnecessary force. Quit crying!! Tazing someone does less damage to a person then using brute force to wrestle his arms and legs to restrain him. Get it together people. And don't give me the "oh, he has a medical condition.." because he's able to fight off several people and his wife was scared as well.
Robocop

United States

#7 Dec 16, 2010
Since when is a Taser part of a medical procedure? The LC police academy is probably a joke.
mister rodgers

Las Cruces, NM

#8 Dec 16, 2010
can you say "Federal Court" kids?
Scorpion

Santa Fe, NM

#9 Dec 16, 2010
Could have killed him.

And we trust these dropouts with guns and tasers?
ay chihuahua

United States

#10 Dec 16, 2010
Hey bro at least they didnt shoot you, your one of the lucky ones..
E D Ott

Taos, NM

#11 Dec 16, 2010
Scorpion wrote:
Could have killed him.
And we trust these dropouts with guns and tasers?
"Coulda woulda," but didn't.
Better he got tased instead of shot - but still, people cry. Damned if you do, damned if you don't. There's no pleasing everyone.
Scorpion

Santa Fe, NM

#12 Dec 16, 2010
E D Ott wrote:
<quoted text>
Better he got tased instead of shot - but still, people cry. Damned if you do, damned if you don't. There's no pleasing everyone.
How about not abusing power? How about not using excessive force? That would make me more pleased. Right now im not pleased at all with our police force and leadership.

Every time a patient gets irate in the hospital does he need to be tased? No! I bet the rookie cop was just making the problem worse. What if it was you feeling so bad that you werent in your right mind?
Alien

Farmington, NM

#13 Dec 16, 2010
You can't satisfy everyone. A bullet to the heart would have saved us the taxpayer a lot.
Dont tase me Bro

Brighton, MI

#14 Dec 16, 2010
This is typical of the intimidation tactics that the LCPD routinely uses. They don't see a medical patient with a possible stroke, low blood sugar, or epilepsy...they see a criminal who isn't obeying their orders. This "police officer" will get a slap on the wrist, and his violation of the abuse of power will be swept under the rug. It's just a matter of time before the LCPD kills an innocent person...if it hasn't happened already.
Dont tase me Bro

Brighton, MI

#15 Dec 16, 2010
Alien wrote:
You can't satisfy everyone. A bullet to the heart would have saved us the taxpayer a lot.
Your comment is so stupid that it doesn't deserve a response, but I'm stupid too so I'll answer it. The waste of taxpayer money was in "training" a dumbass to be a police officer. They must be scraping the bottom of the barrel for candidates. Another waste of taxpayer money will be when the city settles the lawsuit that is sure to follow this incident. Fortunately, the patient didn't die. How much do you suppose the city would pay for a wrongful death?
Dont tase me Bro

Brighton, MI

#16 Dec 16, 2010
E D Ott wrote:
<quoted text>
He wasn't a violent criminal, dumbass. He was a medical patient in the back of an ambulance. The ambulance personnel have soft restraints in the ambulance for patients who are combative, and they know how to use them. Combative behavior could result from any kind of head injury, cerebral vascular accident (stroke), low blood sugar, seizure activity...and a whole host of other medical conditions. Paramedics are trained to deal with this type of situation, and I don't think tasing the patient is listed in their treatment protocols.
lordsburg

Hatch, NM

#17 Dec 16, 2010
mister rodgers wrote:
can you say "Federal Court" kids?
yeah i agree, negligent use of a taser, im sure the off duty officer was intoxicated, so the witnesses say...i guess KFOX news needs to know about this...when will sunland park police department become professional....
Hurley Burley

Brighton, MI

#18 Dec 16, 2010
lordsburg wrote:
<quoted text>yeah i agree, negligent use of a taser, im sure the off duty officer was intoxicated, so the witnesses say...i guess KFOX news needs to know about this...when will sunland park police department become professional....
Uhhh, wrong story, Dude. This is a DIFFERENT tasing story in which an on-duty police officer in Las Cruces tased a medical patient in the back of an ambulance.
IMF-FED Co-Regulator

Albuquerque, NM

#19 Dec 16, 2010
Maybe not the best call on taser use. But not an easy one I am sure.
This old guy probably has a stroke. He had classic symptoms of it.
Better training regarding this might be a good thing.
Super Trooper

United States

#20 Dec 16, 2010
Oh sh!t here we go again!!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Las Cruces Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel (Jun '08) 18 hr USS LIBERTY 72,033
News Felon pleads guilty to possessing firearm Thu Gloria 1
News Martinez prefers to stick to issues (Jun '10) Jul 19 hotincleveland 6,877
KING OBAMA and billary too! Jul 17 Bloodonhishands 1
News Las Cruces Mayor Ken Miyagishima to seek divorce (Aug '12) Jul 14 Roflo 14
News Breaking: Two arrested in fatal Las Cruces shoo... (Oct '08) Jul 12 EmJ 66
nita tredway/rusak (Mar '15) Jul 10 Nita rusak 12

Las Cruces Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Las Cruces Mortgages