Martinez focuses on taxes, schools, c...

Martinez focuses on taxes, schools, crime in State of State

There are 131 comments on the Las Cruces Sun-News story from Jan 19, 2011, titled Martinez focuses on taxes, schools, crime in State of State. In it, Las Cruces Sun-News reports that:

Republican Gov. Susana Martinez outlines her legislative priorities in the State of the State address on the opening day of the 60-day legislature session on Tuesday in Santa Fe.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Las Cruces Sun-News.

First Prev
of 7
Next Last
TonyM

Huntsville, AL

#1 Jan 19, 2011
Prison funding should be cut in this respect. Convicts do not need cable TV, internet, gourmet meals and other luxuries we that obey the law either have or cannot afford. Depending on the crime and length of sentence convicts do not need college classes or GED classes. As for spending life in prison that individual is costing taxpayers some $30,000 per year. We need to release them or execute them.
I agree with the weighted down beaucracy in our public schools. I have always felt administrators were usually inept teachers that could not handle the classroom or the kids. So they become an administrator and instead of just screwing up a classroom they screw up a whole school.
the other programs I would like to see cut some are the social welfare programs. Too many free meals being given out to people already receiving food stamps. there is nothing wrong with a brown bag lunch. No need for free meals in the summer either.

Since: Nov 10

Location hidden

#2 Jan 19, 2011
There exists a single solution to several problems: non-violent offenders currently in prison or those awaiting trial should have the option to spend 4 years in the military defending this country against all enemies. After the tour is up, they would be free to re-enter society.

This is not a new idea, it used to be done all the time, but it would be a HUGE fix to multiple problems faced by society today. Prison overcrowding would be eased. The costs of keeping people in prison would drop. With less demand for prison space and reduced costs, the New Mexico could scrap the immoral practice of “private prisons.” The military would have new "volunteers" who had a solid reason to complete their tour honorably, do so or return to prison.

I add to this idea the statement that any foreigner who applies to come to the US and is willing to serve a tour of duty in uniform be sent to the top of the list and granted citizenship right away.
Spell It Out for Me

Santa Fe, NM

#3 Jan 19, 2011
"...she wants to reverse its 2009 decision to outlaw death sentences".
"...focused on what she described as...larded school administrations".

The larded school administrators will be first to go, when the revolution comes.
Now is the time

Las Cruces, NM

#4 Jan 19, 2011
to design, build, and staff new state museums.
Slambo

United States

#5 Jan 19, 2011
TonyM wrote:
Prison funding should be cut in this respect. Convicts do not need cable TV, internet, gourmet meals and other luxuries we that obey the law either have or cannot afford. Depending on the crime and length of sentence convicts do not need college classes or GED classes. As for spending life in prison that individual is costing taxpayers some $30,000 per year. We need to release them or execute them.
I agree with the weighted down beaucracy in our public schools. I have always felt administrators were usually inept teachers that could not handle the classroom or the kids. So they become an administrator and instead of just screwing up a classroom they screw up a whole school.
the other programs I would like to see cut some are the social welfare programs. Too many free meals being given out to people already receiving food stamps. there is nothing wrong with a brown bag lunch. No need for free meals in the summer either.

At the very least, make rich criminals like Manny the Maggot Aragon pay all expenses for their own incarceration in addition to fines for their crimes.
help

Los Lunas, NM

#6 Jan 19, 2011
Senator Mary Jane Garcia, need to go. She & here Dem ruinet the state of NM. let Susana Martinez do her job
What

El Paso, TX

#8 Jan 19, 2011
"Bureaucracies and corruption" I have seen no proof of either, just continous allegations. Sound more like delusion and paranoia.
TonyM

Chaparral, NM

#9 Jan 19, 2011
gourmet wrote:
<quoted text>
meals? Do you live on planet stupid?
Typical stupid liberal comeback try to insult someone when don't have the IQ to debate an issue. Wait my mistake you can't be a lib, only Republicans are negative, insensitive haters.
nasty nate

Mesa, AZ

#11 Jan 19, 2011
TonyM wrote:
They dont get gourmet meals.....I agree no college or vocation training but I think a GED should be a mandatory term of release. Execution....hell yes. I have said this before poor school performace is a cultural issue not a state one. Only parents can fix it, not the governor, any school administrators or even teachers.
Social welfare is a mixed bag. I know guys who are now neurosurgeons who growing up dependended on free lunches during the summer. I know families who lived on food stamp while their parents where in college, and now they have succseful careers and are repaying everything the receieved via taxes.........I think in an exremly poor state social welare is needed. To an extent.....it only be given to those who need it.
Valley Native

Albuquerque, NM

#12 Jan 19, 2011
How dare the new Governor not acknowledge all the fine work the democrat controlled legislature has done in recent years. This is an outrage.
Lawrence

Las Cruces, NM

#13 Jan 19, 2011
I applaude our Governor, she obviousely has what the previouse one did not. NM can not continue down the path of humiliation and curruption we have been traveling for the past several years. It is time to fix and re-establish NM to where it was prior to the last 8 years, a state where people can trust their government leaders to do what is right.
Governor Martinez is having to sweep out all the "stuff" that has been swept under the rugs and it will take some time and yes, people are going to fight tooth and nail to stop her because they have alot to loose or hide. Watch for those who fight the hardest.
Governor, please do not loose any steam while climbing this steep mountain, every mountian has a top.
common sense

Las Cruces, NM

#14 Jan 19, 2011
TonyM wrote:
Totally agree!
common sense

Las Cruces, NM

#15 Jan 19, 2011
nasty nate wrote:
<quoted text>
They dont get gourmet meals.....I agree no college or vocation training but I think a GED should be a mandatory term of release. Execution....hell yes. I have said this before poor school performace is a cultural issue not a state one. Only parents can fix it, not the governor, any school administrators or even teachers.
Social welfare is a mixed bag. I know guys who are now neurosurgeons who growing up dependended on free lunches during the summer. I know families who lived on food stamp while their parents where in college, and now they have succseful careers and are repaying everything the receieved via taxes.........I think in an exremly poor state social welare is needed. To an extent.....it only be given to those who need it.
Yes, its the parents that need to show children the value of education. Teachers can't help if parents don't support it.
Cato

Las Cruces, NM

#16 Jan 19, 2011
Our governor is a former DA, and highly political and combative. Expecting her to be friendly is like expecting a cobra to be friendly. The legislature needs to expect another 4 years of conflict on top of 8 years of Johnson and 8 years of Richardson.
Bobby

El Paso, TX

#17 Jan 19, 2011
Let's see:

The Democrats want to raise taxes so they can spend more money.

The Republicans say STOP the outrageous, wasteful spending, and let's make our schools better.

Elections have consequences!!
Give me a Break

El Paso, TX

#18 Jan 19, 2011
Please take a serious look at the GISD that has administrators and assistant administrators that could not cut it in the school setting but are in charge of nothing, doing nothing and still drawing administrators pay checks! Clean house.
Three Crosses

Santa Fe, NM

#20 Jan 19, 2011
There is a reason Susana Martinez and all the other officials were elected by the people. They or we all wanted change from the current way of life. There is only two things we can do about it now nothing and like it. If you go to work everyday and give an honest 8 hours good for you, those that go to work and expect to get paid for just showing up, better be able to justify your existance.
gina

Albuquerque, NM

#21 Jan 19, 2011
y esta senora k piensa k es eso de k ahora les va a kitar la licencia a los indocumentados pues ella de onde viene k acaso no sabe leer ella tiene un apeido hispano y no pienso k porque alla nacido aki le quite de donde viene si tiene apeido hispano es porque viene de hispanos y pues viene de mojaditos igual k de los k se averguenza tanto todos merecen una oportunidad de hacer bien sus vidas y si sacaron una licencia era porque querian estar bien aki con la sociedad
Epic

United States

#22 Jan 19, 2011
An 8% cut across the board would balance the state budget, what's not to like?
WoW

Albuquerque, NM

#23 Jan 19, 2011
TonyM wrote:
<quoted text>
Typical stupid liberal comeback try to insult someone when don't have the IQ to debate an issue. Wait my mistake you can't be a lib, only Republicans are negative, insensitive haters.
So honest people who are actually working but who yet still qualify for these programs should be left in the cold as far as food assistance goes? Really? If they cut the summer lunch programs where the heck do you think that funding will go--right back into the food stamp allocations. I don't see starving children as a solution.

I have worked my way up from not having a job and being on assistance, to having a job and not needing assistance at all except for Medical because even my professional job doesn't offer any health insurance. I was very thankful for the welfare assistance I had in the past. Without it I truly don't know what or how I would have fed my children.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 7
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Las Cruces Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Martinez prefers to stick to issues (Jun '10) 5 hr Phillip 7,117
Anyone Know "Doc" Daniel Brandt? 21 hr joedoe911 3
News N.M. man charged with hitting child with fly sw... (Aug '10) Jan 11 FacePalmingINTENSELY 35
News Swat situation ends without injury in Dona Ana ... (Jan '11) Jan 11 Djordan 48
(.R ox y Bulk!!) ku*sh !! (Nov '15) Jan 7 Puffthemagicdragon 3
Ivan Jan 7 Puffthemagicdragon 8
News Carlsbad pharmacy tech pleads guilty to drug po... Dec 23 Frankenfool 3

Las Cruces Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Las Cruces Mortgages