Messianic Jews say they are persecute...

Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel

There are 71939 comments on the Newsday story from Jun 21, 2008, titled Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel. In it, Newsday reports that:

Safety pins and screws are still lodged in 15-year-old Ami Ortiz's body three months after he opened a booby-trapped gift basket sent to his family.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Newsday.

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#65975 Jan 15, 2014
former res wrote:
CoR
Never mind. I found it.
Stein: "When we just saw that man, I think it was Mr. Myers, talking about how great scientists were, I was thinking to myself the last time any of my relatives saw scientists telling them what to do they were telling them to go to the showers to get gassed ... that was horrifying beyond words, and that’s where science—in my opinion, this is just an opinion—that’s where science leads you."
Wow. What a moron.
Scientists were pointing the way to the showers?
I don't get his thinking at all.
Yea, the guy's got issues.

Did you know that he also served in the Nixon Administration as a speech writer?

“Legumes of the World Unite ”

Since: Sep 11

Location hidden

#65976 Jan 15, 2014
former res wrote:
<quoted text>
That was Josh Grobin.
Thanks for an excuse to see that one again. Impressive guests - Harrison Ford, Robin Williams, Brad Pitt, Don Cheadle?, very funny.
Grobin - never heard of him. Looked him up on wiki and still never heard of him.

Huey Lewis is still around, lol? I didnt even recognize Meatloaf.

“No Allah: know peace”

Since: Jun 07

A sacred grove in Tujunga, CA

#65977 Jan 15, 2014
I last posted this on December 19th. Anyone want to guess what ever happened with the rock?
HughBe wrote:
Hugh---I cannot speak for G-d as I know him not. However, God is not a field of conscious or unconscious energy.
Liam R--Well, of course you do not know any of the Gods, you waste your time worshiping the false god Jesus.
HughBe---
1. Let us leave MY Jesus out of the picture.
2.I challenge ALL of your gods to prove that they are as mighty as I am.
3. I challenge your impotent gods to demonstrate their powers.
4.Go quickly and tell them of the challenges.
5. Finally, I say piss be upon your gods for I know them not and I do not regard them.
Liam R---
2.I challenge your Jesus to prove that he is as mighty as I am.
3. I challenge your impotent Jesus to demonstrate his powers.
4.Go quickly and tell him of the challenges.
5. Finally, I say piss be upon your Jesus for I know him and I do not regard as anything other than a wandering Jewish revivalist preacher.
In fact, your favorite false god claimed that if anyone has even a little bit of faith, they can move mountains. Okay, I have a small rock, given to me by a cute little girl. It used to sit on a bookshelf close to my dinner table until I moved a couple of years ago. Now it is packed away in a box somewhere. If your Jesus was a real God, you could pray and move that stone from the box to my dinner table tonight.
Start praying..
HughBe--- Plagiarism is never a good thing.
Liam R wrote:
<quoted text>
I noticed that the rock is still packed away in a box somewhere...
And now to catch up on that months worth of posts that I missed over the holidays...

#65979 Jan 15, 2014
Rick Moss wrote:
I have to admit my knowledge of Xtianity is sketchy but I'm almost certain Santa and bunnies play a prominent role in the liturgy.
Frijoles wrote:
<quoted text> I think you are confusing christianity with wicca. Ask Liam.
While hares are seen as symbols of fertility, they don't really have a part in the "liturgy" per se. Santa is purely xian, invented for commercial reasons. It was an ad for Coke, IIRC...

#65980 Jan 15, 2014
HughBe wrote:
<quoted text>
Frijoles---Incorrect. Huggy preaches the "Old testament", not torah
HughBe--- Clearly your doctored Torah supports homosexuality. I am here to tell you that the Old Testament does not support it and so I shall cleave to the OT.
Correctly translated, the Torah does not condemn homosexuality. It is only in the erroneous translation used by xians that it appears that the OT says anything against gays.

#65981 Jan 15, 2014
HughBe wrote:
<quoted text>
Noted.
Observation, the laws of MOST countries disagree with you and call it WRONG.
Who determines wrong? What is wrong?
So? At one point, the laws of most nations supported slavery, too

#65982 Jan 15, 2014
Rick Moss wrote:
<quoted text>
Who said I believe in non-violence? I'm no hippy, I like violence.
That being said, I'm not so big on terrorist hunting. They taste awful and their hides are useless
You aren't supposed to eat them, you just bag them for their heads for the mantle...

#65983 Jan 15, 2014
Frijoles wrote:
<quoted text>
Chill, doofus. Both you and I know that I was posting well before 9 PM last night. Last time I checked, New years was at midnight. Besides, truthfully, its not my holiday anyhow. real New Years was back in September, and again coming up on the 15th for round two.
You could just celebrate all of them: Celtic (31October), Jewish (floating - September-ish), Western (1 January) and Chinese (floating - end of Jan beginning of Feb). And doesn't that bring you up to the time for Purim?
:)

#65984 Jan 15, 2014
Well, I managed to get through about half of the posts posted since mid December. Tomorrow, it is back to page 2941 and the posts from 3 January and forward.

See ya!
former res

Cheshire, CT

#65985 Jan 15, 2014
Frijoles wrote:
<quoted text>
Grobin - never heard of him. Looked him up on wiki and still never heard of him.
Huey Lewis is still around, lol? I didnt even recognize Meatloaf.
Huey Lewis was that guy who I knew but couldn't quite put my finger on!

And I totally missed the Loaf - will have to take another look at it.

Ever hear of Michael Buble? He's the Josh Gobin of this decade! Kind of like Michael Bolton was years ago I guess. Eaaassssssy listening.

I'm more a progressive rock guy!(Though last two concerts were Alice Cooper and John Fogerty...)

“Act Interdimensional ly”

Since: Jan 08

Location hidden

#65986 Jan 15, 2014
Liam R wrote:
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
While hares are seen as symbols of fertility, they don't really have a part in the "liturgy" per se. Santa is purely xian, invented for commercial reasons. It was an ad for Coke, IIRC...
Au contraire, the image of "Santa" -- a Saint -- has been around for a long time. He's been part of the Xtian rebranding of Saturnalia since 1600 or befor (I'm pretty sure that even predates the Coca Cola Corporation -- citation needed).

St Nicholas, Sinterklaas, Tomte, Father Xmas ... all incarnation of the same person. Like Doctor Who with a sleigh instead of a TARDIS.

The good folks at Coca Cola have been using his image since the '20s and have probably done more to canonize his image as the morbidly obese, flamboyantly dressed, elf molester that we have come to know and love. But, they didn't invent him or his likeness.

Location hidden

#65987 Jan 15, 2014
Liam R wrote:
<quoted text>
You aren't supposed to eat them, you just bag them for their heads for the mantle...
And you don't typically need a permit to hunt varmints.
former res

Cheshire, CT

#65988 Jan 15, 2014
Cult of Reason wrote:
<quoted text>
Stein is a creationist (of the intelligent design variety). The "documentary" is complaining about how Intelligent Design is not being taught in schools as a viable, alternative scientific theory, alongside evolutionary theory.
From wiki...
Expelled: No Intelligence Allowed is a 2008 documentary film directed by Nathan Frankowski and hosted by Ben Stein.[2][3] The film contends that the mainstream science establishment suppresses academics who believe they see evidence of intelligent design in nature and who criticize evidence supporting Darwinian evolution and the modern evolutionary synthesis as a "scientific conspiracy to keep God out of the nation's laboratories and classrooms."[4][5] The scientific theory of evolution is portrayed by the film as contributing to fascism, the Holocaust, communism, atheism, and eugenics.[6][7] The film portrays intelligent design as motivated by science, rather than religion, though it does not give a detailed definition of the phrase or attempt to explain it on a scientific level. Other than briefly addressing issues of irreducible complexity, Expelled examines it as a political issue.
I'm confused.

".....The film portrays intelligent design as motivated by science, rather than religion, though it does not give a detailed definition of the phrase or attempt to explain it on a scientific level. Other than briefly addressing issues of irreducible complexity, Expelled examines it as a political issue. "

How can he say Intelligent Design is "motivated by science" if he doesn't trust scientists?

Location hidden

#65989 Jan 15, 2014
former res wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm confused.
".....The film portrays intelligent design as motivated by science, rather than religion, though it does not give a detailed definition of the phrase or attempt to explain it on a scientific level. Other than briefly addressing issues of irreducible complexity, Expelled examines it as a political issue. "
How can he say Intelligent Design is "motivated by science" if he doesn't trust scientists?
The design might have been intelligent -- but anyone who has spent more than five minutes on Topix can tell you the execution of that design most certainly wasn't.

G-d should never has outsourced his design to biochemistry.

Location hidden

#65990 Jan 15, 2014
former res wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm more a progressive rock guy!(Though last two concerts were Alice Cooper and John Fogerty...)
I was so excited when I found Yes on Spotify - havent listened to them for 20 years or more - but then I never got around to listening to the tracks, so finally I just deleted them from my playlists...

you probably already read this about Alice Cooper (we might be going around in circles)- but just in case..
http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB1000142...

Location hidden

#65991 Jan 15, 2014
former res wrote:
<quoted text>
Ever hear of Michael Buble? He's the Josh Gobin of this decade! Kind of like Michael Bolton was years ago I guess. Eaaassssssy listening.
I think I miss out on a lot of this because I generally avoid dentist office waiting rooms and elevators.

Michael Bolton used to (or still does) live in Westport, a few houses down from a friend of mine.

Location hidden

#65992 Jan 15, 2014
former res wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm confused.
Perhaps he considers theologians to be trustworthy "scientists".

Hey, no one ever said these guys were consistent or made any sense. Religion tends to cloud their judgement.

Since: May 12

Location hidden

#65993 Jan 15, 2014
former res wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm confused.
What does motivated by science mean?

Location hidden

#65994 Jan 15, 2014
Rick Moss wrote:
<quoted text>
The design might have been intelligent -- but anyone who has spent more than five minutes on Topix can tell you the execution of that design most certainly wasn't.
G-d should never has outsourced his design to biochemistry.
I'm surprised God didn't oversee the execution of his design considering how much of a micromanager he was during the periods covered by the Old Testament. That's just lazy if you asked me.

I see he's also taken a more hands off approach these days. Perhaps like everyone else, he's outsourcing to India.

Location hidden

#65995 Jan 15, 2014
STEFANO COLONNA wrote:
<quoted text>
What does motivated by science mean?
Its obvious to the rest of us what that means.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Las Cruces Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Martinez prefers to stick to issues (Jun '10) 6 hr Donald 6,403
affrique (May '12) May 24 gab 230
News The devil is in the application (Apr '09) May 21 Yin Simons 5
News Fred Brito fired again for using a false name (Mar '07) May 21 jacobcasselberry 23
News Las Cruces man charged for biting girlfriend, h... (Mar '11) May 18 juanita 54
News Las Cruces robbery suspected located, charged May 15 King Joe Zarate 2
Gang problems in Las Cruces (Sep '07) May 15 Poser Buster 194
More from around the web

Las Cruces People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]