Error my slice further funds from LCP...

Error my slice further funds from LCPS budget

There are 71 comments on the Las Cruces Sun-News story from Apr 6, 2011, titled Error my slice further funds from LCPS budget. In it, Las Cruces Sun-News reports that:

Las Cruces Public Schools may now be facing an additional $3 million cut in state funding.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Las Cruces Sun-News.

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
Carlos Spiceeweiner

Farmington, NM

#3 Apr 6, 2011
How ironic... the NM Public Education Department made a math mistake.

Too bad peoples' lives will be affected by this inopportune error...
Free to all who cross

Eastpointe, MI

#4 Apr 6, 2011
"New Mexico Public Education Department miscalculated the amount of state funding appropriated for each student statewide." Meanwhile our governor is catching photo opportunities with chili ristras and squash blossoms. What gives?
Hmm

Santa Fe, NM

#5 Apr 6, 2011
Since the funding mechanism appears to be linked to district spending per student, I have to assume that is all district spending. I have to ask when the administration is going to take a cut? This article goes as far to say classes were expected to be 38-40 students. I have seen classes with 30+(some with over 40!). Stop cutting teachers!
captain rose

United States

#6 Apr 6, 2011
If the rescheduling plan saves 210 jobs and there's another $3 million shortage, another 100 jobs may be lost... how does that make for smaller classes? How is that, as montoya asserts, going to be "what's good for the kids"? This article includes "double talk" that creates the shining conclusions that rounds and montoya are making. Isn't montoya one of the principals whose school hasn't met state and federal testing standards for years on end?

Since: Nov 10

Las Cruces, NM

#7 Apr 6, 2011
As a teacher, I'm not too worried because our Governor has pledged that classrooms will not be affected by budget cuts. She will come to the rescue! Seriously though, I think that it is time for "accountability" to become a two way street. Fire the incompetent Secretary of Ed! The leader of our education department should be the model of excellence. To drop this bombshell at the end of a meeting with superintendents, in an "Oh, by the way .." manner, is inexcusable. We are talking about our kids' future, people's jobs and our local and state economic stability. Governor, practice what you screech. Fire Hanna!
Free to all who cross

Eastpointe, MI

#8 Apr 6, 2011
Seems as though with math skills exhibited by the New Mexico Department of Education, even they would not be able to make AYP!
Native New Mexican

Monroe, MI

#9 Apr 6, 2011
The state budget has been set. Math errors, leadership errors, corruption, deceipt, lies, and incompetence appear to go hand-in-hand. Fortunately, the current administration is attempting to disclose facts. I would rather hear about errors in a truthful and transparent way, than to find out about it in a criminal indictment. The current governor is not trying to hide errors. She did not create these shortfalls. Cuts are painful but being decieved is worse. We have to find solutions to prevent errors but let us not criticize the painful truth.The previous administration showed an ineptness (corruption)that is haunting us today.
LCNM

Anthony, NM

#10 Apr 6, 2011
How pathetic our School administration cannot keep accurate records. That says alot for our education system. **** rolls downhil. We have good teachers in our classrooms. But the Adminstration controls everything. And look at the poor job they are doing.
It keeps on coming

San Simon, AZ

#11 Apr 6, 2011
Unfortunately the teachers are the ones who suffer the most in the long run. They now have to be concerned as to whether or not they will be one of the 100 who must be let go as well as meet the multitude of requirements of the classroom as well as put up with the nonsense students dish out daily. My hat is off to those who choose teaching as a profession, however I don't understand why anyone would want to do so in this day and age. Seems the aggravation/frustration now out weighs the gratification.
To the NM Board of Education: Quit spending so much money on high-priced architecture for new schools. Kids ability to learn does not increase proportionately as cost of achitecture rises!
sam

United States

#12 Apr 6, 2011
Who is getting fired over this mistake?
school budget cuts

Las Cruces, NM

#13 Apr 6, 2011
Enough is enough. Fire the people that miscalculated what it would cost to educate each student. Who was the IDIOT who did that. As parents we've had enough, maybe all parents should ban together and walk on Santa Fe in protest. Our education system truly sucks. Unbelievable.
rid

Albuquerque, NM

#14 Apr 6, 2011
Rid the district of anyone over 65!!!!!
Rid the district of all illegals!!!!
Rid/reduce the school of the biggest program with highests per student ratio. Special Ed.
Problem solved
Evolution

United States

#15 Apr 6, 2011
If the Superintendent Rounds is hoping that they can resolve most of the problems with staff members retiring why doesn’t he make the staff members that already have 30 plus years in the district retire now? There are some administrators who make well over 90 thousand a year. They achieved their goals, now move aside so others can come in with new ideas and cost less to the district. Then there are other staff who make 50 thousand plus and are just milking the system because they do not want to retire. That seems like a pretty good start to relieving the budget cuts for next year. Who is out there that just shows up and collects a check every two weeks? Time to go slackers.
SouthWest Shooter

Fort Washakie, WY

#16 Apr 6, 2011
New Mexico has the Highest Tax Rates in the State's History
Dona Ana County has the over 100,000 people residing ( The most in the State's History )
So why are we short money???
Highest Taxes
Highest Population to pay more taxes
Yet Short Money
Either TOO Many People DONT pay Taxes
Or The Schools Waste A Record Amount of Money....
good standing

Albuquerque, NM

#17 Apr 6, 2011
Good standing my arse. This district is full of "friends" and "reletives" that get a pass on good standing. We have a few at my school who are related or are good friends with the principal who should have been let go a long time ago. Pure k rap.

Since: Dec 10

United States

#18 Apr 6, 2011
So riddle me THIS Batman (Stan Rounds): Why is it that your girlfriend, who gets a full retirement from ANOTHER STATE, double-dips for LCPS? She makes more than the principal at said school....! How is that fair? Would he consider giving that job to someone who needs it to support their family, versus letting his girlfriend pull TWO high incomes...??? Doubtful.

Everything is true, feel free to check it out. Her name is Kathy Adams and she works at Macarthur Elementary in "Staff Development". I hate to single her out, but it is just NOT RIGHT.
Paul

Albuquerque, NM

#19 Apr 6, 2011
This is why we spend all the money on education!Even the state education dept.can't add and subtract.But they allocate the money.
good standing

Albuquerque, NM

#20 Apr 6, 2011
Evolution wrote:
If the Superintendent Rounds is hoping that they can resolve most of the problems with staff members retiring why doesn’t he make the staff members that already have 30 plus years in the district retire now? There are some administrators who make well over 90 thousand a year. They achieved their goals, now move aside so others can come in with new ideas and cost less to the district. Then there are other staff who make 50 thousand plus and are just milking the system because they do not want to retire. That seems like a pretty good start to relieving the budget cuts for next year. Who is out there that just shows up and collects a check every two weeks? Time to go slackers.
You got that right!!!!! There is one secretary who has been with a certain middle school 60 years. Yes 60 years. The grumpiest staff memeber you could ever meet. Talk about slow. You could easily get a half time person do her job.
Homegrown Kid

Los Alamos, NM

#21 Apr 6, 2011
Doesn't anyone know how to add? back in November Richardson told us we had a $230 Million Deficit, then in January we were told, "Oops, it was more like $500 Million" Now it's the same "Oops, we miscalculated" I think the department that miscalculated should pay for their mistake from their budget, they should be laying people off instead of laying off teachers!! One or two less bean counters, would mean one or two less mistakes!
OMG

Las Cruces, NM

#22 Apr 6, 2011
If we could clean up by running recent background checks especially on administrators I'm sure we would not have to fire people who deserve to keep their jobs. I understand that an administrator at a middle school is a wife beater. Is this the kind of man we want bullying our children and female teachers? That is what he does. I'm tired of hearing about teacher losing their jobs while these administrators are sitting around plotting who to let go. Who will they let go, those who are the thorns on their side, those who are advocates for our children's rights.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Las Cruces Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
bobsie twins (two liars on stage together) 8 hr Bloodonhishands 1
please come see me 14 hr Yes Baby 26
las cruces sun news sucks! 18 hr Stopthepaperfools 2
affrique (May '12) Sun anonymous 243
News Martinez prefers to stick to issues (Jun '10) Jun 25 More 6,866
Gang problems in Las Cruces (Sep '07) Jun 25 Suicidel freak 209
In pain Jun 24 Robcar 1
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Las Cruces Mortgages