Budget cuts mean fewer teacher, bigge...

Budget cuts mean fewer teacher, bigger classes for LCPS

There are 48 comments on the Las Cruces Sun-News story from Jun 16, 2010, titled Budget cuts mean fewer teacher, bigger classes for LCPS. In it, Las Cruces Sun-News reports that:

The Las Cruces school district will have to get by with some 135 fewer employees next year to compensate for a reduction in state funding.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Las Cruces Sun-News.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last

“Liberal Teachers ruin Kids”

Since: Mar 09

Paradise Valley Arizona

#42 Jun 17, 2010
More Charter schools, vouchers, and strict schools.
Hire real teachers that will do the job required
Teach real history and not liberal history
DO YOU KNOW, that the majority of Blacks do not know one thing about BLK Founding fathers of our own country.
Offer real activities for students to get involved
Make parents give a shyt about their children education
Better manage your tax dollars
You know that teachers unions wont allow teachers to fail kids these days, Because its not fair
Please people, You all need to wake up

and people that do not have children do not pay school taxes..period
Mamma Jamma

Las Cruces, NM

#43 Jun 17, 2010
Heres a solution "DRUG" test all people who receive state and federal aid. Make a demand for people who are on welfare to have to work a minimum of part-time hours in order to receive benefits. Demand a change, make a change, besides what are we going to do with more stupid people. Don't we already have enough!!!
Teachers are the best educators when parents fail and so many do.
Who will transport them

Las Cruces, NM

#44 Jun 17, 2010
Dog Lover wrote:
From the article:
"For example, instead of cutting specialized high school classes with low enrollment, such as Advanced Placement physics, the program will combine students from different high schools into a classroom setting that utilizes technology and one teacher instead of two to teach the class."
I think that this is an excellent idea. I hope we see more of this type of 'outside the box' thinking moving forward.
This is an interesting concept, but what about transporting the kids from point "A" to point "B"? Not all of them have their own cars... Does the formula still work if the school system does not provide transportation?
Don't get me wrong, I fully support higher education opportunities for the students.
Just Sayin

Los Alamos, NM

#45 Jun 17, 2010
Does it really matter? Teachers don't teach, they provide daycare for savages.
Pen Pal

Las Cruces, NM

#46 Jun 17, 2010
Vance1 wrote:
DO YOU KNOW, that the majority of Blacks do not know one thing about BLK Founding fathers of our own country.
You know that teachers unions wont allow teachers to fail kids these days, Because its not fair
I am delighted by your answer. I am wide awake. I did not realize that the solutions were so obvious. What a huge relief.
Think about it

AOL

#47 Jun 18, 2010
nasty nate wrote:
Teacher unions are very different then that of our failed auto industry. Remeber most teachers are well educated, reasonable people. For a teacher to make only 35K is crazy. For a janitor at an auto plant to make 60K just cause his is unionized is also crazy. Tell me who should get more, the college educated, tested, quailifed teachers, or the ex-cons who help build your japanese engineered, and design car.
Teacher should have a living salary....workers at an auto plant should be the ones haveing to work side jobs.
But who cares....if you dont like just leave.
Teachers are paid a living wage. If we take your $35,000 divide by the 182 days a year a teacher works then by 7 hours, the wage is $27.47 an hour. And that's a starting wage.

In addition, teachers can retire in 25 years. Where but the government can you do that? Teachers also have some of the best benefits around, most government workers do.

If a teacher worked a typical work week for the typical 50 weeks a year their annual income based on their starting $27.47 per hour wage would be $57,137 per year to start, two week paid vacation.
Think about it

AOL

#48 Jun 18, 2010
Vance1 wrote:
I am a big supporter of school vouchers. From what I understand the biggest objection is that children would receive unequal education if vouchers were instituted. But today's method of education equalizes education at the bottom level. That will not help us achieve the goals we have for our community and our country, much less for our children.

Education taxes benefit everyone, just as infrastructure taxes benefit everyone. Just as each of us takes advantage of the streets of the city, even those we do not drive on regularly, the education of our children, even those without our last name, is important to our community as a whole.
poorteachers

Los Alamos, NM

#49 Jun 18, 2010
hunkie boy wrote:
The solution:on line home education k-12. save billions, no overpaid adminstrators,pedophile teachers, drunk bus drivers, unqualified horny housewives elected to school boards, students love the computer more than looking at the same teacher every day.
Most home-schooled children are home-schooled by uneducated parents.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Las Cruces Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Las Cruces Music Selection (Sep '12) Apr 16 Musikologist 16
News Lujan Grisham cruises at Democratic convention Apr 15 Bloodonhishands 20
News Suspects in double murder appear in court Apr 12 cherry 1
News Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel (Jun '08) Apr 1 Bob Luvs Canada 72,071
News First Las Cruces Space Festival planned in April Apr 1 Bloodonhishands 5
Gang problems in Las Cruces (Sep '07) Mar 31 Lezbelle666 224
News Allstate call center in Las Cruces hiring 100 m... (Jun '08) Mar 28 Doina 8

Las Cruces Jobs

Personal Finance

Las Cruces Mortgages