Budget cuts mean fewer teacher, bigger classes for LCPS

Full story: Las Cruces Sun-News

The Las Cruces school district will have to get by with some 135 fewer employees next year to compensate for a reduction in state funding.
Comments
1 - 20 of 48 Comments Last updated Jun 18, 2010
First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Las Cruces doesnt care

Madrid, Spain

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 17, 2010

Judged:

People in Las Cruces don't value education for the most part, and the more we become a retirement community with a Tea Party mentality, the worse things will get.
Curious resident

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 17, 2010

Judged:

That student-teacher ratio of 16-1 is very misleading. I teach at a middle school and we're expecting 35 students in all the regular education classes this school year. My understanding is that will pretty much be the norm for the district.
Right Said Ned

Santa Fe, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 17, 2010

Judged:

Fewer "teacher"? Good one.
Right Said Ned

Santa Fe, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 17, 2010

Judged:

And the bit about 16 to 1 class sizes in high school is a complete lie. Just last year most classes in middle and high schools had 25 to 30, at least, to every teacher. The reporter needs to do a simple article search and discover that last year LCPS had its highest enrollment ever, which strained all of the schools. How can Rounds and Galvan actually suggest, given far fewer teachers, that somehow class sizes will shrink to 16 and 17 per teacher. That's absolute B.S.
Tardsville Dweller

Albuquerque, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 17, 2010

Judged:

What a great idea! We don't need no edukatshon 'Rounds' here. Let's graduate people who don't know how to read or have life skills, so they can't leave LC and our taxes can go up because there will be more people on welfare. Yea team!
WhatthehellisaJi g-a-watt

Huntsville, AL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 17, 2010

Judged:

This city kills me, in yesterday’s paper it was reported that the city wants to raise taxes to extend unemployment benefits, but yet, we cut teachers pay and their jobs. Tell me there's "not" something wrong with this picture!

What lame excuses we have for city leaders, and the teacher’s union should be abolished as well!
Tony M

Albuquerque, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 17, 2010

Judged:

Yes, the student to teacher ratio is misleading. It is an avg. of all classes. There will be classes in SPED w/ 6-10 students and 1 or 2 IA's. that will avg out the classes w/ 25-35 kids. High school PE classes will probably range in the 35-45 area.
Tony M

Albuquerque, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 17, 2010

Judged:

WhatthehellisaJig-a-watt wrote:
This city kills me, in yesterday’s paper it was reported that the city wants to raise taxes to extend unemployment benefits, but yet, we cut teachers pay and their jobs. Tell me there's "not" something wrong with this picture!
What lame excuses we have for city leaders, and the teacher’s union should be abolished as well!
what does the teacher unions have to do w/ this problem? I would love to hear the rational.
red baron

Pittsburgh, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 17, 2010

WhatthehellisaJig-a-watt wrote:
didn't even bother reading what you wrote...but homie...you have the greatest name ever.
leonardo

Albuquerque, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 17, 2010

Judged:

Budget cuts mean fewer teachers, bigger classes for LCPS
Cut from the top down ,eliminate some of the overpaid mansagement people that are a burden and not performing like they should be.
WhatthehellisaJi g-a-watt

Huntsville, AL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 17, 2010

Judged:

Tony M wrote:
<quoted text>
what does the teacher unions have to do w/ this problem? I would love to hear the rational.
More than likely the "fat cats" (union leaders) were looking out for themselves and cut their losses when it came to defending the number of teacher positions and their salaries’, it's always been that way. Unions, instead of being the solution to workers problems, have become the "problem", just ask General Motors!

The union’s outrageous demands are not so much for the individual worker as they are for the union leaders themselves. The auto union for General Motors now has it made for life, because "we" (that includes you Bozo) the tax payer will be supporting them with no end in sight, thanks to that idiot Obama who bought GM and is in the unions pocket.

Unions at one time in this country were a good thing, I know, I belong to one once, but they have seen their day, they need to be abolished!
hunkie boy

Claremont, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 17, 2010

Judged:

The solution:on line home education k-12. save billions, no overpaid adminstrators,pedophile teachers, drunk bus drivers, unqualified horny housewives elected to school boards, students love the computer more than looking at the same teacher every day.
Dog Lover

Las Cruces, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 17, 2010

Judged:

From the article:
"For example, instead of cutting specialized high school classes with low enrollment, such as Advanced Placement physics, the program will combine students from different high schools into a classroom setting that utilizes technology and one teacher instead of two to teach the class."

I think that this is an excellent idea. I hope we see more of this type of 'outside the box' thinking moving forward.
thirty two

Alamogordo, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 17, 2010

Judged:

I had 32 while a special ed teacher had 7. No wonder it equals a 16 to 1 average. Get rid of special ed and also EsL. Teach em all in English and put all SPED's in one special school.
Crusader

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 17, 2010

Judged:

Curious resident wrote:
That student-teacher ratio of 16-1 is very misleading. I teach at a middle school and we're expecting 35 students in all the regular education classes this school year. My understanding is that will pretty much be the norm for the district.
Send the illegals to Mex for a free education and you'll be down to 16:1
Think about it

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 17, 2010

Judged:

Why not take this opportunity to restructure our entire school system.

The current system does not work well. So why band aid it to get thru to the next tax increase?

Since the US has one of the lowest education rates of industrialized nations, there must be something other countries are doing that we could try here. Why not use this opportunity to re-invent our schools.

Since: Jan 09

Las Cruces, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 17, 2010

Judged:

Perhaps part of the reason for forumlating the student to teacher ratio is because it is a projected end of the year total. You have to figure the drop out rate in this district is probably at least 25-30 percent over the course of the year, due to joining gangs or pregnancies.
nasty nate

Ashburn, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 17, 2010

Judged:

Teacher unions are very different then that of our failed auto industry. Remeber most teachers are well educated, reasonable people. For a teacher to make only 35K is crazy. For a janitor at an auto plant to make 60K just cause his is unionized is also crazy. Tell me who should get more, the college educated, tested, quailifed teachers, or the ex-cons who help build your japanese engineered, and design car.

Teacher should have a living salary....workers at an auto plant should be the ones haveing to work side jobs.

But who cares....if you dont like just leave.
senor polvo

Placitas, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 17, 2010

Judged:

Tony M wrote:
<quoted text>
You are as dumb as mud...the teachers' union and the nea have millions of members and more money and do very little to actually create better educational environments. Large class size is detrimental to effective teaching, especially since the no child left behind act was begun. If the teachers' organizations lobbied like bankers, perhaps it would create improved conditions for teachers and students. What the organizations should do and what they actually accomplish is germane to the problem at hand. and rational needs an e at the end...
senor polvo

Placitas, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 17, 2010

Judged:

nasty nate wrote:
Teacher unions are very different then that of our failed auto industry. Remeber most teachers are well educated, reasonable people. For a teacher to make only 35K is crazy. For a janitor at an auto plant to make 60K just cause his is unionized is also crazy. Tell me who should get more, the college educated, tested, quailifed teachers, or the ex-cons who help build your japanese engineered, and design car.
Teacher should have a living salary....workers at an auto plant should be the ones haveing to work side jobs.
But who cares....if you dont like just leave.
what a dumb way to end an interesting comment...

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

8 Users are viewing the Las Cruces Forum right now

Search the Las Cruces Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
affrique (May '12) 2 hr Sailboat1107 210
Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel (Jun '08) 6 hr Frijoles 68,374
Randy Mattingly and Olga Back Thu Family 1
county commissioners Wed behindschedule 1
las cruces sun news - going out of business Wed behindschedule 3
Interstate 10 overpass project at Mesquite exit... Wed behindschedule 1
patience of dr. ann mercer unit. Tue watchdog1 1
•••
•••