I Like this new commenting system ! ...

I Like this new commenting system ! Opinions?

Posted in the Las Cruces Forum

First Prev
of 9
Next Last

Since: Oct 08

Location hidden

#1 Jul 1, 2011
I'm gonna like this. IF they keep it, no longer will these anonymous posters with Manhattan virtual sized egos, be able to post malicious, libelous, defamatory attacks, without at least being identifiable. This is long long overdue, and I definitely look forward to "meeting" you sane people in the new comments sections.
(What does kind of suck though, is I was trying to get to 2,000 posts by October, under the news comments.)
aggiefansince83

Las Cruces, NM

#2 Jul 1, 2011
I hate it and I am sure a lot of people do too. My day just isn't complete without PlacitasRoy, or Pee J airing out some dirty laundry of the NMSU athletic department, or Al Reine's paranoid anti Obama rants.
Think about it

Rio Rancho, NM

#3 Jul 1, 2011
Not a facebook user, so I don't like it.

Do you have to be a registered TOPIX user to start your own thread?
Spell It Out for Me

United States

#4 Jul 1, 2011
Hate it. Facebook -- wasting people's time, since 2004.

“Phooey on Politicians”

Since: Jan 11

Politicians are full of BS!!

#5 Jul 1, 2011
aggiefansince83 wrote:
I hate it and I am sure a lot of people do too. My day just isn't complete without PlacitasRoy, or Pee J airing out some dirty laundry of the NMSU athletic department, or Al Reine's paranoid anti Obama rants.
I don't like it either. It will reduce the "hate" posts, but I too will miss PlacitasRoy's rants and copy/paste posts.
Facebook user

Albuquerque, NM

#6 Jul 1, 2011
I hate it........ I like that I can use any name to post comments and remain anonymous.

Why do they want to use fb anyways? We dont need to incorporate everything to Facebook.... UGH!
Facebook user

Albuquerque, NM

#7 Jul 1, 2011
I dont think so :)
Think about it wrote:
Not a facebook user, so I don't like it.
Do you have to be a registered TOPIX user to start your own thread?
Great System

Albuquerque, NM

#8 Jul 1, 2011
and it means nothing changes unless you decide to go the Facebook route.
Facebook user

Albuquerque, NM

#9 Jul 1, 2011
I'll just come into to topix and post and comment. I dont need my facebook to do this.
besides not everyone is a facebook user. Why dont they ever think about that?

Just because there is twitter and myspace, doesnt mean I use them.

“Just the Facts, Ma'am”

Since: Aug 09

Las Cruces, NM

#10 Jul 1, 2011
I think that it's going to be great. Just making sure my fb account is set up properly before using it. I'd been advocating for switching to Disqus, which is what the Santa Fe NM'ican uses, along with implementing their posting rules. I think using fb fixes the anonymous poster/troll problem, and let's fb police the fake name people, instead of the LCSN. I'm not going to miss PlacitasRoy or Al Reine at all.
Where Else

Albuquerque, NM

#11 Jul 1, 2011
Paul Lindsey wrote:
I think that it's going to be great. Just making sure my fb account is set up properly before using it. I'd been advocating for switching to Disqus, which is what the Santa Fe NM'ican uses, along with implementing their posting rules. I think using fb fixes the anonymous poster/troll problem, and let's fb police the fake name people, instead of the LCSN. I'm not going to miss PlacitasRoy or Al Reine at all.
could you see a great photo of the Las Cruces Oracle? It's a wonder the rock wasn't crushed under the weight of that huge ego!
Valley Native

Rio Rancho, NM

#12 Jul 1, 2011
Unfortunately by voicing your personal opinions through facebook, any employer past or present, will have the ability to seek out your views on social and political issues. And if this employer, landlord, child's soccer coach, etc... doesn't agree with you, there is the potential for repercussion. Bad idea, very bad!
Len

United States

#13 Jul 1, 2011
When free speech becomes too free most organizations want to stifle it, basically this is what they really want. You can still post anonymously but there are more hoops to go through and most people aren't going to bother, watch the topix board gradually die.
Wow

Santa Fe, NM

#14 Jul 1, 2011
Maybe that why they turned to fb. So LCSN, LCPD, DACSD can find out who you are and bust you for some kind of stupid law. I HATE IT!!! My opinion should be anonymous. Where are my free speech rights?
Wow

Albuquerque, NM

#15 Jul 1, 2011
jaytheorc wrote:
I'm gonna like this. IF they keep it, no longer will these anonymous posters with Manhattan virtual sized egos, be able to post malicious, libelous, defamatory attacks, without at least being identifiable. This is long long overdue, and I definitely look forward to "meeting" you sane people in the new comments sections.
(What does kind of suck though, is I was trying to get to 2,000 posts by October, under the news comments.)
2000 posts! That's a lot of Hot Air. That new system just might bite you and your Texas-sized EGO in your arze unexpectedly.
Sarcastic Bombastic

Huntsville, AL

#16 Jul 1, 2011
Why Not to Trust Facebook Security

Well I'm not exactly sure what new method of commenting you're talking about, unless of course, LCSN put up a new method directly on their site.

If you don't want to go through LCSN directly, then don't use the .net site, as most syndications use the .net side of Topix.

If you specifically want to comment on LCSN's forums without going through the facebook hassle, then just go to

topix.com/forum/source/las-cruces-sun-news
----------

As for why they're using Facebook, taking someone's word for it since I haven't checked the LCSN site today, it's not so much about holding people accountable or to make it easier for LEOs. LEOs can already get the info they need.

It's more about the fact that the owners of this syndication & Topix are an aggregator. They linked over 345 social networking sites (Facebook, Twitter, etc.) to these forums on purpose---to aggregate information & sell it to the highest bidder (primarily advertisers & agencies like Intellius, Spokeo, etc). They've been doing it for a while.

As a matter of fact, if you're not careful about the photos you post to your account & if you do it from your cell or via Facebook, it can possibly lead people right to your front door (if that's where you posted it from or from the precise place you were at when you posted it)...as it gives your precise location via Map Quest. However, if you post directly from your home computer, if you'll notice for example on LC Photos, it gives the map location to Las Cruces Sun News.

Here's another thing most people using Facebook don't realize: They believe that Facebook is earnestly protecting their privacy. What a joke too & people are go gullible or naive. Facebook has to be one of the biggest perpetrators of violating people's privacy ever.

Don't just take my word for it either:

http://www.napo.org/legislative-update/mod_fa...

However, The BLACKSHEEP:
http://www.cnn.com/2010/TECH/web/11/09/firefo...

^^^^^^
"BlackSheep was based on Firesheep's code to ensure its effectiveness. In a word, for every hack, there is an equal and opposite counter-hack."

Read Bruce Schneier's Cryptogram titled "Security in 2020" & "When to Change Passwords"

http://www.schneier.com/crypto-gram-1101.html

http://www.darkreading.com/blog/228201016/whe...

Then too, for a while people's identities were showing up on this website; however, the thread was brought down. I'm trying to prove that it was a rogue Topix moderator who was responsible for leaking out the info, as there seems to be one who outed a few people on the forums.

http://tinyurl.com/topixidentities

So, I'd strongly urge people who sign up for an account not to use their legal ids nor to use the links to all those "share links" options.

If you look at for example,

Topix.com/forum/news/offbeat

you'll notice they've got a beta game going on & part of the points process gives points to get you to utilize email addresses, Facebook, Twitter, etc...just more incentive to lure people into sharing their info. Then if you use your cell, they've got your number too.

I'll admit I recently started playing the game & I'm getting my 25 points for sharing without compromising my info. ;-)

Another thing too, if you hadn't noticed the search window on Topix is through Blekko (a subsidiary of guess who...Topix); hence, confirmation that they are an aggregate!

I hope the information helps all of you before it gets removed by those wanting to keep you in the dark!
Bewildered

Brighton, MI

#17 Jul 1, 2011
Sarcastic Bombastic wrote:
Why Not to Trust Facebook Security
Well I'm not exactly sure what new method of commenting you're talking about, unless of course, LCSN put up a new method directly on their site.
If you don't want to go through LCSN directly, then don't use the .net site, as most syndications use the .net side of Topix.
If you specifically want to comment on LCSN's forums without going through the facebook hassle, then just go to
topix.com/forum/source/las-cruces-sun-news
----------
That is how I've always gone to the forums.
----------
Sarcastic Bombastic wrote:
Then too, for a while people's identities were showing up on this website; however, the thread was brought down. I'm trying to prove that it was a rogue Topix moderator who was responsible for leaking out the info, as there seems to be one who outed a few people on the forums.
http://tinyurl.com/topixidentities
So, I'd strongly urge people who sign up for an account not to use their legal ids nor to use the links to all those "share links" options.
If you look at for example,
Topix.com/forum/news/offbeat
you'll notice they've got a beta game going on & part of the points process gives points to get you to utilize email addresses, Facebook, Twitter, etc...just more incentive to lure people into sharing their info. Then if you use your cell, they've got your number too.
I'll admit I recently started playing the game & I'm getting my 25 points for sharing without compromising my info. ;-)
Another thing too, if you hadn't noticed the search window on Topix is through Blekko (a subsidiary of guess who...Topix); hence, confirmation that they are an aggregate!
I hope the information helps all of you before it gets removed by those wanting to keep you in the dark!
SB I hate to tell you this but neither one of the URL's you have listed above works. The " http://tinyurl.com/topixidentities" ; comes up as 'URL Terminated' and lists a few reasons why...

The " Topix.com/forum/news/offbeat" ; comes up as 'not found'. I tried accessing it through various methods and nothing is there anymore.
----------
I guess the Topix Moderators caught wind of you and wanted to shut you down.

Since: Oct 08

Location hidden

#18 Jul 2, 2011
Wow wrote:
<quoted text>2000 posts! That's a lot of Hot Air. That new system just might bite you and your Texas-sized EGO in your arze unexpectedly.
I'm not worried about sharing my views, unlike you. That's 2000 posts on Topix, slick. TOPIX.
've been online sharing my opinion for 13 years, cool guy.
In all kinds of forums.
Anonymous cool guys like you are a dime a dozen online.
Two words for you, rookie cool guy...
NOT SB

Huntsville, AL

#19 Jul 2, 2011
Bewildered wrote:
<quoted text>
----------
That is how I've always gone to the forums.
----------
<quoted text>
SB I hate to tell you this but neither one of the URL's you have listed above works. The " http://tinyurl.com/topixidentities" ; comes up as 'URL Terminated' and lists a few reasons why...
The " Topix.com/forum/news/offbeat" ; comes up as 'not found'. I tried accessing it through various methods and nothing is there anymore.
----------
I guess the Topix Moderators caught wind of you and wanted to shut you down.
I guess you can't read carefully: I just read her comment and she said about the tinyurl link: "Then too, FOR A WHILE people's identities were showing up on this website; HOWEVER, THE THREAD WAS BROUGHT DOWN.

If the link to offbeat didn't work, it's because they changed it from Offbeat to WEIRD. You can look at the bar up top that says HOME, FORUMS,=========OFFBEAT, OTHER

Just click on Offbeat. Hope that helps.

PS: You owe me one SB & Imma gonna collect.-RR
Bewildered

Brighton, MI

#20 Jul 2, 2011
NOT SB wrote:
<quoted text>
I guess you can't read carefully: I just read her comment and she said about the tinyurl link: "Then too, FOR A WHILE people's identities were showing up on this website; HOWEVER, THE THREAD WAS BROUGHT DOWN.
If the link to offbeat didn't work, it's because they changed it from Offbeat to WEIRD. You can look at the bar up top that says HOME, FORUMS,=========OFFBEAT, OTHER
Just click on Offbeat. Hope that helps.
PS: You owe me one SB & Imma gonna collect.-RR
Ok, so I was (am) wrong, it's late and my brain isn't working too good right now. SB: I apologize for being inept tonight (more than usual). I did find the "Offbeat" though, interesting "game", I'm not sure I want to get involved there. It did tell me that I had 10 points, whatever the hell that means.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 9
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Las Cruces Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Las Cruces Music Selection (Sep '12) Apr 16 Musikologist 16
News Lujan Grisham cruises at Democratic convention Apr 15 Bloodonhishands 20
News Suspects in double murder appear in court Apr 12 cherry 1
News Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel (Jun '08) Apr 1 Bob Luvs Canada 72,071
News First Las Cruces Space Festival planned in April Apr 1 Bloodonhishands 5
Gang problems in Las Cruces (Sep '07) Mar 31 Lezbelle666 224
News Allstate call center in Las Cruces hiring 100 m... (Jun '08) Mar 28 Doina 8

Las Cruces Jobs

Personal Finance

Las Cruces Mortgages