MVCS's expansion plans will take God'...

MVCS's expansion plans will take God's help, yours

There are 311 comments on the Las Cruces Sun-News story from Jan 30, 2011, titled MVCS's expansion plans will take God's help, yours. In it, Las Cruces Sun-News reports that:

Twelve million in three years, in a poor county in the worst recession since the Great Depression? Those behind the city's largest ever capital campaign say they'd have to have the biggest backer ever for this kind of undertaking: God's counsel.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Las Cruces Sun-News.

Doing Business

Franklin, MI

#183 Feb 2, 2011
What no one seems to get is that a private school (Christian or otherwise) is a business. Just because its not for profit doesn't mean they aren't a business. Actually, to maintain their non profit status they have to do even more than a regular business. Most reasonable clients go to the head of the company if they have issues. If your issues are not dealt with and you are not treated as a paying customer, you take your business elsewhere. Usually, if you go elsewhere, you tell your friends you aren't doing business with a certain location anymore and you tell them why. That's what I see happening on this blog. Paying customers didn't get their grievances addressed or they weren't getting what they paid for, or the merchandise was flawed so they took their business elsewhere. They are expressing their dissatisfaction with the business. That's perfectly normal. We do that with our elected officials. We do that with our banks, our cell phone service, etc. We check out comments on vendors before we purchase on ebay or amazon. If we have an experience with false advertising (which is seemingly the basis of this particular blog) we let people know. Negative comments are as valuable as positive ones. Each person has to weigh them in the balance. This blog has heard from satisfied customers too. That's America! That's what capitalism and the free market are all about.

PS.I think the attacks on people or their families are irrelevant and stupid. You go to zero credibility when you attack a person's kid.

Since: Jan 10

Albuquerque, NM

#184 Feb 2, 2011
Just my opinion wrote:
<quoted text>
So- they don't have to go to the retreat.
sports are elective, and public school has to pay for theirs
also. An art notebook is something you should expect to buy.
That's like complaining that you had to buy notebook paper.
If they had to buy a music theory book, I assume they were in
the advanced band class? I don't know of anyone having to buy
that for choir or regular band. I agree that these things can
add up, but most are expenses you would incur at a public
school also- and it's supposed to be free.
There is advanced band at MVCS? It is a shame that they are the only school that chooses not to participate in southwest district solo and ensemble or large group contests every year in either choir or band.
Helicopter Mom

Franklin, MI

#185 Feb 2, 2011
GrecianFormula2 wrote:
<quoted text>
There is advanced band at MVCS? It is a shame that they are the only school that chooses not to participate in southwest district solo and ensemble or large group contests every year in either choir or band.
There is no advanced band. Just 6th grade, Middle School and High school. The required theory book and, oh I forgot to mention required uniform that no one tells you about is for the required Middle School Choir class. A required class that costs an extra $100 no one tells you about. Do you know how fast a middle school boy can outgrow a choir uniform forcing you to buy another one before the year is out?

The point isn't what you have to pay for compared to public school. The point is $5000 is not the cost to attend MVCS like they try to make you believe. They build in requirements and then you have to pay more for them. No one tells you that until you're already into the class. That is the point.

On another note, the band does participate in various
competitions because they have an amazing band director. The choir, well, that's a different story and a different rug to look under.

Albuquerque, NM

#186 Feb 2, 2011
Helicopter Mom wrote:
<quoted text>
There is no advanced band. Just 6th grade, Middle School and High school. The required theory book and, oh I forgot to mention required uniform that no one tells you about is for the required Middle School Choir class. A required class that costs an extra $100 no one tells you about. Do you know how fast a middle school boy can outgrow a choir uniform forcing you to buy another one before the year is out?
The point isn't what you have to pay for compared to public school. The point is $5000 is not the cost to attend MVCS like they try to make you believe. They build in requirements and then you have to pay more for them. No one tells you that until you're already into the class. That is the point.
competitions because they have an amazing band director. The choir, well, that's a different story and a different rug to look under.
I guess I don't understand why they do not compete in solo and ensemble and district large group BECAUSE they have an amazing band director? I would think if the band director is amazing the kids would be given the opportunity to compare themselves with the other groups in the district. It really isn't fair to the students or to the program to remain isolated.
Just my opinion

Rio Rancho, NM

#187 Feb 2, 2011
Helicopter Mom wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually- there is an advanced music class in high school that is aimed at band members. I can't remember what it's called- but if you ask, you'll learn what it is. Mr. R teaches it, or has taught it. Sounds like something you might be interested in. If the required white shirt and black slacks/skirt are a financial hardship for you or others may you could approach the music teacher about a "swap". Kids who outgrow their "uniforms" could donate them and they could be passed on. I can see where they guys probably won't get a lot of use out of black slacks outside of music. It might help a lot of families. Contrary to popular belief, as you obviously know, the school isn't populated with a lot of wealthy families. Most are making sacrifices to have their kids or family members there.
Just my opinion

Rio Rancho, NM

#188 Feb 2, 2011
GrecianFormula2 wrote:
<quoted text>
I guess I don't understand why they do not compete in solo and ensemble and district large group BECAUSE they have an amazing band director? I would think if the band director is amazing the kids would be given the opportunity to compare themselves with the other groups in the district. It really isn't fair to the students or to the program to remain isolated.
Would a 2A school participate against a 5A school in music? I know they break it down for sports but don't know how it's done in music. If not- do the 2A schools have district competitions?
St Curly the Stooge

Albuquerque, NM

#189 Feb 2, 2011
It's funny that everyone thinks people are hidding behind screen-names on here. The truth is, everyone knows exactly who everyone is - the fake names are to being used to keep the rest of Las Cruces OUT, not keep secrets in. This is good, old fashioned church fighting plain-and-simple.
Helicopter Mom

Franklin, MI

#190 Feb 2, 2011
GrecianFormula2 wrote:
<quoted text>
The band does compete. I don't know in what events but I know they have several all-district and all-state band members. Last year they had 1st chair percussion. I don't know the names of the different competitions. I do know, they go to competitions, though. The choir does not. I don't think 2A 5A is relevant in music. I could be wrong.
Hanging by a Thread

Albuquerque, NM

#191 Feb 2, 2011
Just my opinion wrote:
<quoted text>
So- they don't have to go to the retreat.
sports are elective, and public school has to pay for theirs
also. An art notebook is something you should expect to buy.
That's like complaining that you had to buy notebook paper.
If they had to buy a music theory book, I assume they were in
the advanced band class? I don't know of anyone having to buy
that for choir or regular band. I agree that these things can
add up, but most are expenses you would incur at a public
school also- and it's supposed to be free.
They do not have to go to retreat, but they are punished if they do not go. They must submit a 5 page written report, while those who can afford to go on the retreat are zip lining and having fun.

Albuquerque, NM

#192 Feb 2, 2011
Just my opinion wrote:
<quoted text>
Would a 2A school participate against a 5A school in music? I know they break it down for sports but don't know how it's done in music. If not- do the 2A schools have district competitions?
Good question. The district festival is just that. Each school competes against a standard as judged by three judges. The small Christian school in Alamogordo which does to to festival doesn't "compete" against 5A schools, but against itself, depending on the music it plays and how well it plays it. A music program really isn't legitimate until it prepares its program and goes to festival. Until it does that, it just a class at school. It's good for the teacher and the students to be adjudicated and receive comments on how well they play the music they have chosen. I wish MVCS would participate. They need to.
Citizen

Franklin, MI

#193 Feb 2, 2011
St Curly the Stooge wrote:
It's funny that everyone thinks people are hidding behind screen-names on here. The truth is, everyone knows exactly who everyone is - the fake names are to being used to keep the rest of Las Cruces OUT, not keep secrets in. This is good, old fashioned church fighting plain-and-simple.
Speak for yourself. I don't know anyone and I don't want to know. I might not like you anymore. On the other hand, I might think more highly of you.:)

Albuquerque, NM

#194 Feb 2, 2011
Helicopter Mom wrote:
<quoted text>
The band does compete. I don't know in what events but I know they have several all-district and all-state band members. Last year they had 1st chair percussion. I don't know the names of the different competitions. I do know, they go to competitions, though. The choir does not. I don't think 2A 5A is relevant in music. I could be wrong.
Never seen them at any district festival. I have gone to hear my grandkids and have never ever seen MVCS at district festival. One grandchild went to MVCS briefly, and one reason she transferred out was the lack of a quality music program. The high school group was on the same level as her public school middle school beginning band, more or less.
Zia Girl

Albuquerque, NM

#195 Feb 2, 2011
I had not had a chance to get on the computer in awhile. I was amazed at how many comments there are now. Seems like it can be summed up as follows:

1. MVCS has dedicated and loving teachers who are impacting lives.
2. MVCS has dysfunctional and secretive leadership.
3. MVCS has some loyal and some dissatisfied students, but both have the courage and maturity to stand up for what they think.
4. Some people who post are down right mean.
5. MVCS is not ready for a new high school
Ra Hurab

Albuquerque, NM

#196 Feb 2, 2011
Mr. Carr,
I was just reading through all these comments. I could not believe that someone would attack you and your son, Ben. You have been and continue to be a mentor and a father to so many. I have the utmost respect for you and cannot thank you enough for all that you have done for my girls. You have always been there for them and have taught them so much about God, life, and responsibility. I may have my own strained relationships with MVCS, but you are a Godly man making a difference for the Kingdom.
Ratio

Albuquerque, NM

#197 Feb 2, 2011
Just decided to do a little word count for current/former students, parents, and faculty for MVCS. Taking just the paragraphs of these individuals the word:

God - used 18 times

Jesus or Christ - used 9 times

pray or prayer - used 1 time

I - used 222 times.
MVCS09

Franklin, MI

#198 Feb 2, 2011
Ratio wrote:
Just decided to do a little word count for current/former students, parents, and faculty for MVCS. Taking just the paragraphs of these individuals the word:
God - used 18 times
Jesus or Christ - used 9 times
pray or prayer - used 1 time
I - used 222 times.
That's par for the course (pun intended for "insiders")

Albuquerque, NM

#199 Feb 2, 2011
As former Governor Bruce King was famously quoted, this aricle by Ashley Meeks sure opened up a "box of Pandoras". Indeed.
AmbulanceChaser

Birmingham, MI

#202 Feb 2, 2011
Helicopter Mom wrote:
<quoted text>
It's sad to say but this seems to be the case. When a child has a death threat against them written in blood and the first thought of the school is to clean it up and call a lawyer and never inform the parents and never go check to see if the child is still alive..what other conclusion can be drawn? I haven't pulled my child out... yet...I keep hoping for change...but you can bet I'm on that campus almost every single day. If they won't watch out for the kids, I will.
The mother who was left in the dark about her child being in danger should seek legal counsel and sue the school. Any of the people involved in the discovery, clean-up and hush-up would have been sorely irked if their child had been the target and they were kept from knowing the information. This appears to be very negligent.

As for the funds the school wants for new stuff? With 35 years worth of graduates, of whom 99 percent went to college, they should have a strong network of deep pockets in their alumni pool. They could even use it as a tax write off.

These students attend churches throughout the area that have congregations with well paid staff leading them; allowing them long far-off sabbaticals complete with tour guides and water front accommodations. The parishoners approve hiring additional staff, remodels of outdated buildings, expansions without being forced to double or triple the number of Sunday services (I mean, what if a man of the cloth had to repeat his speech 2 or 3 times the one Sunday a month it is his turn to cover the pulpit so that all who wanted to attend could find a parking space and a seat?).

A wonderful service project for juniors and seniors would be to send them to their home churches to deliver small group testimonials to request stewardship pledges/commitments from fellow believers to make school improvements.

For a family's average income in this region,$5000+fees is almost 20% of what is brought home annually. And that is before taxes are taken out of the paycheck. For this region, the tuition is out-of-reach for many. To ask the city paper to make a plea to citizens for more is absurd. Sending out an alumni newsletter and student stewardship teams would have been the way to go.

Rather than pushing for growth at this time, parents should consider the message they are sending to their own children by segregating them on a 'mountain top', away from the 'salt of the earth'. I imagine Joseph would have sent his son to public school. If MVC students walked the earth at the same time, they would have never encountered the one they follow at school.

For the advertised price of tuition, 10 students could go on a week-long retreat, people in third-world countries could stamp-out diseases that are simple to cure here but fatal to malnourished and impoverished children, a community could have 20 years worth of clean water for all of its citizens, an ark of animals could give a livelihood to a family through the Heifer program each year, or 10 MVC students could cover the salary and expenses of a 4-member missionary family for a year.

The newest leadership may be a inadvertently reminding parents that they have many options to consider for their students. The parable of the talents comes to mind Luke 19 and Matthew 25 http://www.lewissociety.org/parable.php
Luke 12 and Luke 14 may lead to further insight if my memory serves my tonight.

Reading of the untold events, proud youth and the plans for gratuitous growth is a reminder to many that have been harmed by self serving individuals claiming to be acting out of faith; alienating many in order to earn more for themselves. It is a sad state of affairs.
MVCS PARENT

Muscle Shoals, AL

#203 Feb 3, 2011
wow wrote:
They no longer require ALL students to take Bible??? Why not? This is terrible. How can they be a Christian school? My siblings went there, and I used to wish I had gone, but now I'm thinking that it's a good thing I never did.
Wanted to clarify that ALL children attending MVCS from K-12 absolutely have to take a bible class. Not only do they take a daily bible class they also have Monday Chapel. I have four children in that school and I will tell you although it is not perfect it is an amazing school and is doing great things.
Stephanie-MVCS

Albuquerque, NM

#204 Feb 3, 2011
You guys should all quit hating on the school. why are you wasting this much of your time on it if you hate MVCS that much?
And Danielle- well said(: as far as Emma and Wilton- no their spelling isn't the best, but they're both sharp kids, and we're all human and we all have our flaws!
Building off of what Danielle said, the academic level at our school is high, but dedication IS required. the teachers are ALL dedicated to the students, and they love us. we're like a big family at that school, and every student and teacher knows one another on a personal level.
So go ahead and dis our imperfect grammar; we're human, but i can assure you everybody here has grown spiritually stronger and closer to God because of MVCS, and that, you can't measure on your own.
- Lots of Love, Stephanie - MVCS

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Las Cruces Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Martinez prefers to stick to issues (Jun '10) 7 min Nicki 6,993
News NMSU student promotes understanding with free Q... Dec 4 Khan the liar 3
Ivan Dec 1 Yep 2
daso and da office - another $210 k loss Nov 28 SycNtired 3
ABQ Rail Runner Is Excellent Nov 28 Las Cruces Needs It2 1
da dantonio released two officers involved in j... Nov 26 Wow 1
nita tredway/rusak (Mar '15) Nov 21 Nita rusak 15

Las Cruces Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance