MVCS's expansion plans will take God's help, yours

Twelve million in three years, in a poor county in the worst recession since the Great Depression? Those behind the city's largest ever capital campaign say they'd have to have the biggest backer ever for this kind of undertaking: God's counsel. Full Story
First Prev
of 16
Next Last
Judas

Farmington, NM

#1 Jan 31, 2011
They cherry-pick who they accept. Look at the number of Hispanics in the school versus in the Las Cruces Public Schools. Look at the family incomes at mvcs. It's no mystery.
Fri Daddy

Albuquerque, NM

#2 Jan 31, 2011
Judas wrote:
They cherry-pick who they accept. Look at the number of Hispanics in the school versus in the Las Cruces Public Schools. Look at the family incomes at mvcs. It's no mystery.
There's no cherrypicking involved. Nearly everybody gets in, evn kids expelled by the public schools. As far as Hispanics, 30-40% of the student body is Hispanic. Your name says it all. You'll never say anything positive about anything, especially something faith based. I feel sorry for you!
Judas

Las Cruces, NM

#3 Jan 31, 2011
The public schools are 80 percent Hispanic, and MCVS is 30-40 percent Hispanic. I rest my case.

In terms of the whole faith-based thing, I'm wondering why MVCS needs a high-school science lab, since God created the world in 7 days 5000 years ago, etc.
Fri Daddy

Albuquerque, NM

#4 Jan 31, 2011
Judas wrote:
The public schools are 80 percent Hispanic, and MCVS is 30-40 percent Hispanic. I rest my case.
In terms of the whole faith-based thing, I'm wondering why MVCS needs a high-school science lab, since God created the world in 7 days 5000 years ago, etc.
What case? There's no quota. I fully understand that private schools cost money, money which most people can't afford. I couldn't afford it if I didn't work at MVCS.And I'm not Hispanic. Why make class and race an issue when the truth is that MVCS educates it's students better than the alternative? Define science. I believe a working definition might be "an explanation of thing in the world around you." Just because one believes in Creationism doesn't mean science is irrelevant. Who is ignorant now??
grecianformula2

Albuquerque, NM

#5 Jan 31, 2011
Fri Daddy wrote:
<quoted text>
What case? There's no quota. I fully understand that private schools cost money, money which most people can't afford. I couldn't afford it if I didn't work at MVCS.And I'm not Hispanic. Why make class and race an issue when the truth is that MVCS educates it's students better than the alternative? Define science. I believe a working definition might be "an explanation of thing in the world around you." Just because one believes in Creationism doesn't mean science is irrelevant. Who is ignorant now??
You are being very disingenuous if you think MVCS has the same demographics as the public schools. You are severely deceiving yourself if you think the average income level for children's parents at MVCS are the comprable to that of the public schools. People who make race an issue are the first ones to declare that race isn't an issue. MVCS accepts Hispanics, sure. However, they aren't from families of day-laborers or ESL students. Parents primarily send their children to MVCS for the clientele. Their children don't have to rub shoulders with the riff-raff of the world--the the poor and unwashed, whether they are white, brown, or red. They can get by with teaching children to believe the earth is under 10,000 years old, the geologic features are a result of the Great Flood, that all races and languages are a product of God confusing the people for trying build the Tower of Babel, and that dinosaurs existed simultaneously with humans in the Garden. Fantasy on my part? I don't know what I'm talking about? Sent my kid there until I figured out that the "AP" curriculum and high academic standards is a ruse. It's funny to hear the superintendent of MVCS comment about how well they do in comparison with public schools with the standardized national testing. They are exempted by law from NCLB. They don't use the tests. They will always fill a niche in the community for people who want to segregate their children from the world that does not revolve around their narrow view of religion and the world in general. I won't send my kids or grandkids there. Some will, and thats fine. But just don't try to, excuse the term, "whitewash" it.
Fri Daddy

Albuquerque, NM

#6 Jan 31, 2011
grecianformula2 wrote:
<quoted text>
You are being very disingenuous if you think MVCS has the same demographics as the public schools. You are severely deceiving yourself if you think the average income level for children's parents at MVCS are the comprable to that of the public schools. People who make race an issue are the first ones to declare that race isn't an issue. MVCS accepts Hispanics, sure. However, they aren't from families of day-laborers or ESL students. Parents primarily send their children to MVCS for the clientele. Their children don't have to rub shoulders with the riff-raff of the world--the the poor and unwashed, whether they are white, brown, or red. They can get by with teaching children to believe the earth is under 10,000 years old, the geologic features are a result of the Great Flood, that all races and languages are a product of God confusing the people for trying build the Tower of Babel, and that dinosaurs existed simultaneously with humans in the Garden. Fantasy on my part? I don't know what I'm talking about? Sent my kid there until I figured out that the "AP" curriculum and high academic standards is a ruse. It's funny to hear the superintendent of MVCS comment about how well they do in comparison with public schools with the standardized national testing. They are exempted by law from NCLB. They don't use the tests. They will always fill a niche in the community for people who want to segregate their children from the world that does not revolve around their narrow view of religion and the world in general. I won't send my kids or grandkids there. Some will, and thats fine. But just don't try to, excuse the term, "whitewash" it.
I never even hinted at the possibility that there was an equal number of whites, Hispanics, blacks, asians, etc. I wish EVERYBODY could afford to send their children to the school of their choosing. I teach an AP course, so I know that they are taught at and above the college level. We use Maps testing, which is used by the majority of schools nationwide, both public and private. People can send their kids to whatever school they choose, regardlss their reasoning. I taught in the public school system for seven years and now have been at MVCS for five. I will never go back to the public school. Kids, whatever their ethnicity, matter here. They're more than ANB dollars. Not so in the public schools. There are amazing teachers in the public school system, but they're weighed down by the PC bureaucracy and other hindrances that we don't deal with here. We're far from perfect, but we do more with less on a daily basis.
Anthony

El Paso, TX

#7 Jan 31, 2011
Even though I consider myself a non-believer, I applaud this school for offering another choice besides the public schools. I know that Christian schools do pride themselves on academic excellence and personal discipline. These are universal concepts that should appeal to all!
Had Enough Yet

Santa Fe, NM

#8 Jan 31, 2011
I don't send my kids to MVCS, but wish I could. If the description above defines our public schools, and it does!, then why would I not want the best opportunity for my children.

Let me ask all you naysayers this. Do you think that because the parents of MVCS children pay out of their pocket to send their kids to a better school, that excuses them from paying taxes??? They not only pay for their kid's education, but your kids and mine also. Leave them alone, and focus on making the public school system safer, more successful, and prideful. If you cannot see that we have a broken system, in LARGE part to parents unwillingness to do their part, then you are beyond help. Kinda like many of the students in Public schools.

Trust me Judas, when I tell you that you are in no danger of having public school values removed: that the United States is a bad country, that killing unborn children upon demand is always the best option, that we came from monkeys that came from dinosaurs that came from tadpoles with single cells, that having two mommies or two daddies is more accepted in our society, that it is ok to have sex at the age of 13 as long as condoms are used, that smoking pot is really not that bad, that its ok not to get a job because those MVCS parents are rich whities that will pay your way, and that you deserve more because this state was once Mexico.

In other words, Judas, STFU or change that public school system. Until you can prove that those parents are somehow ripping you and your kids off, then you have no argument. THEY PAY THE TAXES THAT ALLOW YOUR KID TO GO PHUK OFF AT SCHOOL ALL DAY!
MrBill

Jefferson, OR

#9 Jan 31, 2011
grecianformula2 wrote:
<quoted text>
It's unfortunate that there is no grecian formula for the color of jelousy. Do you villify the rules and regulations that allow parents in your community to send their children to the public High School of their choosing, though they live in another district? MVCS students compete in sports and academic endevours against other schools in the state. Is that segregation? I think not.
MVCS is growing, but not for the reasons you purport.
Reb

Las Cruces, NM

#10 Jan 31, 2011
Parents who send their kids there spend a lot of money, something that happens with private schools all over the country. Other than giving parents vouchers, which might make the choices more affordable, its going to attract a higher income demographic.

In any case, no school, public or private, can compensate for bad parenting and a lack of importance place on education in a family structure. Raising kids in that type of environment is unfair to the children, perhaps people need to look in the mirror, not at their neighbor.
No longer at MVCS

Albuquerque, NM

#11 Jan 31, 2011
Wow! Mr. Fry, kudos for you standing up for the kids, but don't stand up for the school. The school has changed greatly since Mr. Stubbs took over and not for the better. WE struggled for years to keep our children there and could no longer do so financially or spiritually. The school has strayed so far from it's mission statement I have noticed that it has been changed as well. It's very sad to see what the school has become. There are just as many problems at the school as public school, only difference is - it's hidden very well by the administration, especially recently. I no longer recommend anyone to go to MVCS. Now, if you want to change the name to MVS, then I might consider it.
NM Football Expert

Albuquerque, NM

#12 Jan 31, 2011
All of you need to seeing the big picture! The bottom line is that the Las Cruces community is building a new school for their children. I myself and no one in my family has ever gone to a private school. Public Schools have been good to me, my kids and my siblings. All three of my siblings and myself have received scholarships either in sports or academics. Two of my kids have received scholarships and one is on the lottery, we all have had great experiences in public school. I will help support the Christian school! GOD IS GREAT!
Realist-1

Alamogordo, NM

#13 Jan 31, 2011
"personal responsibility"? The last time I looked at the forms parents sign an OK to staff whipping the boys. No telling what they do to the obedient girls.

“Radical But Reasonable”

Since: Jan 09

Las Cruces, NM

#14 Jan 31, 2011
Fri Daddy wrote:
<quoted text>
There's no cherrypicking involved. Nearly everybody gets in, evn kids expelled by the public schools. As far as Hispanics, 30-40% of the student body is Hispanic. Your name says it all. You'll never say anything positive about anything, especially something faith based. I feel sorry for you!
Since when does the christian school accept kids who've been expelled?? I have worked with many kids who have been kicked out of the school for a variety of reasons: special needs, pregnant, or behind on tuition are the most common, however. It isn't hard to graduate 99% when you kick out the difficult ones. Make sure you state the case correctly: nearly everyone who can pay, behaves, and believes what you believe can get it.
Paul Weinbaum

Alamogordo, NM

#15 Jan 31, 2011
It's nice to see a religious organization enjoying their full measure of their U.S. Constitutional rights in a valley where religious bigotry by the local governments is an ever-growing proselytizing enterprise.
MVCS09

Las Cruces, NM

#16 Jan 31, 2011
Go ahead and build your school and your sports complex but just stop calling yourself Christian. Those of us who have been there, done that know there is nothing Christian about Mr. Stubbs and what he is doing. Mesilla Valley Private School. That should be the name...but don't blaspheme God by pretending you depend on him. You sold out to money the day Mr. Stubbs came.
Anon

Las Cruces, NM

#17 Jan 31, 2011
Radical Teacher wrote:
<quoted text>
Since when does the christian school accept kids who've been expelled?? I have worked with many kids who have been kicked out of the school for a variety of reasons: special needs, pregnant, or behind on tuition are the most common, however. It isn't hard to graduate 99% when you kick out the difficult ones. Make sure you state the case correctly: nearly everyone who can pay, behaves, and believes what you believe can get it.
I agree 100% wholeheartedly with this statement!!! So many of you have no idea what is happening behind the doors of MVCS!
Good Luck

Albuquerque, NM

#18 Jan 31, 2011
Mr. Fry. No cherrypicking is right. Mesilla Valley accepts EVERYONE. Including those who have been expelled from the public school system. Why do you think the school is so corrupt? Not only is the student body corrupt but the administration is extremely corrupt as well.
Between gossiping, backstabbing teachers (who happen to be teaching the students to follow in this same path), low class standards, two-faced ruling systems, and covered up death threats... this school is well on their way to teaching America how Christians shouldn't be.
After one student told me that public school kids were "slackers, druggies, and over-sexed people" who would change me for the worse, I realized how closed minded that school is in teaching children and teens to be.
There happens to be just as much sexual activity, narcotics, cursing, and hate in that school as at any public school you will encounter. It's just all under the table.
I went there. I would know.
MVCS09

Las Cruces, NM

#19 Jan 31, 2011
Radical Teacher wrote:
<quoted text>
Since when does the christian school accept kids who've been expelled??
Since Mr.Stubbs came to MVCS.That school has drugs, death threats, racism, theft, vandalism and all the other problems associated with public school. They use Title 2 funds just like the rest of the schools. It's just an expensive public school.
MVCS STUDENT 14

Las Cruces, NM

#20 Jan 31, 2011
I have been a student at mvcs my whole life. I have seen familys go and come, But recently their has been a huge influx in people leaving. And yes mvcs accepts anyone after the check clears, Its sad that its the way it is. Im a christian and i love God and mvcs. Mr.Stubbs is a great guy but a terrible superintendent. He has run the school straight into the ground. Im sick of all this, the school is in need of a dramatic change. I know, From having friends in public school that Im at a much higher academic level then they are. But when i look around in my class i hear swearing, rumors about who smoked what this weekend and who had relations with who, Im saddened. The kids i hear these things from have come in the last 2 years. One student was kicked out of 4 public schools before coming to mvcs. So mvcs gives people second chances to try to turn their life around. Unlike Public school, they expelled the student and never offered help. I can know say that student is one of my bestfiends he no longer, smokes, drinks, or curses. He told me last week durring our spritual emphasis week that he owes that to mvcs and the teacher for helping him. He was saved, and is know a christian.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 16
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Las Cruces Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel (Jun '08) 19 min Frijoles 71,119
Fred Brito fired again for using a false name (Mar '07) 2 hr myself 22
Ariel Dougherty and Sophia Peron: Financial woe... Sat scammed 17
Wi-Power high-speed Internet, Digital phone ser... (Jun '10) Sat Tell Me AnotherOne 58
BREAKING: Shooting reported near South Main and... (Mar '11) Dec 19 manny mf loc 77
kimberly Clown face atencio Dec 17 worried citizen 1
Diversity issues at NMSU raised during regents ... Dec 15 Help 1
Las Cruces Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Las Cruces People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Las Cruces News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Las Cruces

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News