Badge of honor - Ruidoso News

Badge of honor - Ruidoso News

There are 330 comments on the Ruidoso News story from Oct 16, 2008, titled Badge of honor - Ruidoso News. In it, Ruidoso News reports that:

Well before voting day, the Lincoln County Sheriff's race, pitting incumbent Republican Rick Virden and Independent challenger Steve Sederwall, turned controversial.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Ruidoso News.

Academy a call away

Carrizozo, NM

#102 Oct 18, 2008
What wrote:
Sederwall was commissioned in New Mexico in January 2, 1990 Certificate Number 90-0001-P.
Do you really want to go with this Cert number? Be very very sure. Because, from someone who graduated from the NM academy around that time, knows what the cert numbers are and should be. One call and its done.

Mr. Sederwall, did you post this cert number?

Remember, the truth is out there.
Oh brother

Fort Stockton, TX

#103 Oct 18, 2008
Drama....This sounds like an interrogation in a sci-fi movie. Nogal, you are hysterical. LMAO!
capitan oldtimer

United States

#104 Oct 18, 2008
I have a couple of questions about Mr.Sederwalls resume.
1. I noticed that from 1992-1997 he claims he was owner and operator of Thievin Vaqueros Hat Company,
he also claims he was a Special Agent, United States Dept. of the interior from 1991-1997 was he selling hats and inforcing federal law at the same time for 3 years?

2. What did happen to the money that the clerk was charged with embezeling and was later found not guilty of the charges?

3. He claims he was a Lincoln co.reserve officer on the Billy bones search therefore he was calling himself a sheriff during this time, after some checking around there does not seem any such position in the sheriffs dept.nor was there any paperwork filed by anyone making him a reserve officer so apparently he was impersonating a police officer which I am pretty sure is illegal is this correct? Or did I not dig deep enough?

Since: Feb 08

Otero County

#106 Oct 18, 2008
Academy a call away wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you really want to go with this Cert number? Be very very sure. Because, from someone who graduated from the NM academy around that time, knows what the cert numbers are and should be. One call and its done.
Well I can tell you that my certification came a few years before Sederwalls but the format that was posted claiming to be his # matches the format on mine
What would Billy think

AOL

#107 Oct 18, 2008
Can't help you, Capitan Oldtimer, with questions 1 and 2......
About #3: LINCOLN COUNTY is getting SUED because Steve Sederwall will not release the information he got while claiming to be a reserve officer of Lincoln County. Why won't he release the information? Using it for personal gain, perhaps?
You keep diggin', Capitan Oldtimer!
numbers

Carrizozo, NM

#108 Oct 19, 2008
M Catts wrote:
<quoted text>
Well I can tell you that my certification came a few years before Sederwalls but the format that was posted claiming to be his # matches the format on mine
If you look at your cert number, it will have your class number in the format. I highly doubt that Mr. Sederwall graduated from the first class in the academy. It should be in the 100 numbers in the beginning of the 90's. Your number should go something like this 90-0122-P. I made that number up. It may be someones actual cert number if they graduated from class 122 which would of been in the early 90's possibly. Look at his number again. Only has a 1 in it. There is no class with that number in the 90's in it. So you need to ask him, "what class did he graduate from and who was his academy chief at the time?"
I can see it

Montour, IA

#109 Oct 19, 2008
Academy a call away wrote:
<quoted text>
Just remember Ms. Nogal, even an amateur detective such as yourself isn't much appreciated around a department that does not solve crime. If you are trying to impress in hopes of a position, the stupider you act the better so, good job. "One call and it's done" Dragnet I believe. I just love, "the truth is out there" wasn't that one from the x-files? Hay, you know how to steal a quote, very good, you're hired!
County line

Hobbs, NM

#110 Oct 19, 2008
numbers wrote:
<quoted text>
If you look at your cert number, it will have your class number in the format. I highly doubt that Mr. Sederwall graduated from the first class in the academy. It should be in the 100 numbers in the beginning of the 90's. Your number should go something like this 90-0122-P. I made that number up. It may be someones actual cert number if they graduated from class 122 which would of been in the early 90's possibly. Look at his number again. Only has a 1 in it. There is no class with that number in the 90's in it. So you need to ask him, "what class did he graduate from and who was his academy chief at the time?"
Your next and your number is X. Sorry you make thing up to confuse issues. The truth is what Sederwall HAS STATED.
do tell

Montour, IA

#111 Oct 19, 2008
Are you spending time investigating Sederwall when so many bad guys are getting off because the D.A. can't put a case together? Go ahead, it only proves you can do the job you haven't been doing. I love your passion, one would think you've been offered the job of under sheriff. If that is true, you are going to have to stop blogging yourself, Sybil.

Otero County

#112 Oct 19, 2008
numbers wrote:
<quoted text>
I believe that the first two numbers are the year you got certified, the next 4 are your individual number, that number is also a sequential number designating the place you fell into number of certified people that year, and I have no clue as to what the "P" is for. Mine has the two digit year followed by 0088 as I was the 88th person certified that year and then the "P"
The only thing that Sederwalls indicates is that he was the first person certified that year.
Not at all that common as there has to be a first every year;-)
And just an FYI and I'm dating myself here. On mine Anaya was the Governor, Bardacke was the A.G and Slater was the Director of the Academy.
I'm still curious as to his claim of graduating from the NMSP Academy but never having worked for the State Police.
Observing

High Rolls Mountain Park, NM

#113 Oct 19, 2008
Steve Sederwall wrote:
Today I received a call and the caller asked about the full page ad in the Lincoln County News that some of those I am scaring the water out chocked about $700 for - Man I am really scarring you guys. The caller said he was going to tell you about our talk, he'll not have to I will.
I've put my Resume out there for all to see Virden has not, he did not even answer that first question in the newspaper today. I got my nominating petitions Virden did not. When the radio asked if I would debate I said yes, Verdin ran.
You who hide behind your fake names and throw rocks I challenge you to call Virden and tell him to get in his truck, he knows were to find me and I will sign a release so you can print my criminal history in the paper. I'm not a scary guy I promise I won't hurt him or ask any embarrassing questions.
What you little rabbits put in the paper is one of the times I was arrested. As an undercover agent I have been arrested in Texas, New Mexico, Missouri and other states, its the job. I have also testified in those states behind those cases. I am hearing that I have used other names - Are you really that stupid? Of course I have used other names. I still have the old drivers licenses from those states. I am willing to sit down with anyone and talk about where I have been and what I did, Virden is not. If he was we would be debating now.
As I told the caller you people are not giving your boy much credit I worked as a reserve deputy under him, so you're saying he's to stupid to catch a crook in his own department? I'm giving him more credit.
Arrest have records that don't go away. No matter if your found not guilty or the case is dropped. Even Virden should even know that. No matter if it was dropped, it will show up as an arrest, it did not it was an undercover sting. If you look hard enough You'll find more, I was a undercover cop. I got to play with some of the big boys.
Your smart-mouth background investigation on me in the paper was really shoddy work, if you worked for me, I would fire you. I owned a trucking company once, a cover; a log home company, a cover; a pawn shop, a cover; the hat company you were blowing about if you had really been good you would have seen a fellow to federal prison. You guys really need to brush up on your investigative skills.
To "Questions for Sederwall" from AOL, Dusty you can come to the house and we can talk, about wild horses, arson, drugs anything you want to talk about. I will talk about it in public with Virden if you would like.
So tell Virden to come by and I'll sign a release to publish my criminal history it will make it easier on you guys. Then prop him up and lets debate that will be fun.
Maybe all of you who are questioning Sederwall about his arrests, many and varied jobs, etc. had better read the above more carefully. UNDERCOVER, is the key word. Of course he had many jobs, names and some arrests! It's all part of the job whether you want to admit it or not. Sederwall has not tried to hide anything!
Honestly

Fort Stockton, TX

#114 Oct 19, 2008
I believe there is real jealousy with these people having such a hard time understanding what Sederwall has done. Many, if not all, have never experienced the big city life and have no idea what cops do in the big city. Undercover work is not something they are used to or have ever done. Sederwall has worked for many big police departments that have alot of crime to solve and do things the BIG BOYS way. They just can't comprehend it and are jealous. Poor things.....
lincoln co

Ruidoso, NM

#115 Oct 19, 2008
you might not of realized it but your in New Mexico now. we dont have big cities here
never heard that one

Montour, IA

#116 Oct 19, 2008
Catts, I never heard Sederwall say he was a NM State cop. I think you confused him with what Virden said. The only thing I have heard is people saying Virden had graduated from the NM academy and they saying that was a better deal and Sederwall had not. Then up comes Sederwall's academy number.
do tell

Montour, IA

#117 Oct 19, 2008
Theft of property has tripled with nearly zero recovery. Big time and small time dealers run this county totally unnoticed by law enforcement. You need someone that knows what they are doing to get a handle on it. This is not the unknown people. Several years ago you would have thought Capitan was in the middle of a crime wave. It was because people who go unnoticed in this county were being found out and arrested. The two men who were drugging and raping young girls comes to mind. How much of this is going on that isn't caught? The Capitan Police found these evil people along with dealers, forgers, counterfeiters, and bunglers. That garbage isn't unique to Capitan. It's going on all over without any fear of the current Sheriff. I'm hopeful at the prospect of evil people being dragged off and for the victims of crime to finally have someone fighting for them. I've seen the crime stats and we need someone highly trained and motivated without nefarious family and political ties to handle law enforcement in this county. If it is someone trained by the feds and comfortable operating in the big city or the county, great. The good old boy in the horse drawn wagon had his chance and he blew it.
Law and Order

Riverside, CA

#118 Oct 19, 2008
http://s412.photobucket.com/albums/pp201/Sede...

I got tired of listening to all this and called Sederwall. He was not in but called me back in a few hours. I asked him about his New Mexico certificate, he said he would email it to me and he did as he said. I told him of what some were staying on the blogs and his response was, "well tell them call me I'm easy to find and I'm not running." I asked if he worked for the state police he said no.
Put Down Tha Phone

Fort Stockton, TX

#119 Oct 19, 2008
Pretend Detective Nogal, what say you now? Looks like he is an officer. Oh man! And you were doing sooo goooood!*giggle*
Republicans

Montour, IA

#120 Oct 19, 2008
numbers wrote:
<quoted text>
What say you now? Ms. Nogal is the next hand picked under sheriff to whom the machine will hand the office in four years if the machine win's in November. You see, you can not have an independent in that office or it could all unravel like a cheap suit and someone (lawbreakers) could get hurt.
AAAHHHHH

Fort Stockton, TX

#121 Oct 19, 2008
Well, she would suck at the job. Lord help us. She obviously couldn't find her way out of a paper bag! I sure would love to hear from her again, that is, if she can type with her foot in her mouth!*laughing hysterically*

Otero County

#122 Oct 19, 2008
never heard that one wrote:
Catts, I never heard Sederwall say he was a NM State cop. I think you confused him with what Virden said. The only thing I have heard is people saying Virden had graduated from the NM academy and they saying that was a better deal and Sederwall had not. Then up comes Sederwall's academy number.
Here is his answer given in the article in the Ruidoso Paper, the one that started this whole thread.
"I've graduated from Texas and New Mexico State Police Academies as well as the six-month-long Los Angeles Police academy where I was sure they wanted to kill me."
http://www.ruidosonews.com/news/ci_10740842

And in reading his answers to the questions it just brings up more questions.
Another quote from his answers.
"On Nov. 15, 1989, I was already a Los Angeles Police Officer"
But he graduated from the New Mexico Law Enforcement Academy on the 12th day of January 1990
I graduated about 8 years before this but if my memory serves me correctly the academy was longer then the two months between him being an L.A officer and graduating from the NM academy! It is possible that he recieved a waiver and went through the 2 week certification by waiver but there is no mention of that fact.
Like I have stated before, I have no "beef" with Mr Sederwall but his stating he graduated from the NMSP academy, the short period of time between being an LA officer and graduating from the NMLEA, and making no reference to any NM departments that he worked for (who sponsored him at the academy? or was he self sponsored at one of the college academies, a minimum 9 month program) throws up several red flags that I think need to be addressed.

From his answers given to some of the questions I give the man alot of credit for what he would like to do. If the crime rate is as bad as is being claimed then he will have his hands full should he get elected. He has some good answers and I will also say that so does Virden!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Las Cruces Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Martinez prefers to stick to issues (Jun '10) 9 hr talkin to 6,999
Anyone Know "Doc" Daniel Brandt? Fri Daniel brandt 2
News NMSU student promotes understanding with free Q... Dec 4 Khan the liar 3
Ivan Dec 1 Yep 2
daso and da office - another $210 k loss Nov 28 SycNtired 3
ABQ Rail Runner Is Excellent Nov 28 Las Cruces Needs It2 1
da dantonio released two officers involved in j... Nov 26 Wow 1

Las Cruces Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance