Man indicted in toddler's death

Armando Wood would have turned 3 this year. Instead, the little boy's death has just recently resulted in criminal charges -- 14 months after a state Department of Health therapist found the 21-month-old motionless on a bed, his bruised head resting on a small blue Teddy bear. Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
LC Today

AOL

#1 Apr 14, 2010
It is beyond my comprehension as to what the problem is in this area when it comes to these poor little babies dying because some moron is absolutely incapable of controlling himself.

The time is here to put a definite stop to this kind of abuse, and deal with these people in the most harsh way that we can. Life in prison is not enough! The death penality needs to be revived and used on a regular basis for these worthless pieces of trash that call themselves 'men".

Anyone who intentionally hurts a small child in this manner does not deserve any consideration, let alone a life.

Finally, let us hope that, once again, our prosecuting officials do not screw this up!
Justice for Mando

Albuquerque, NM

#2 Apr 14, 2010
Hang em high and stop wasting my taxpayers money. No chance was given to this child so why should he get LIFE....
Wow

Los Alamos, NM

#3 Apr 14, 2010
Nice Job Palos! Someone has to take up the slack.
SAD

United States

#5 Apr 14, 2010
THERE IS ALOT OF DESERT OUT THERE
lcnative

Pleasant Plains, AR

#6 Apr 14, 2010
From the information provided in the story, it tells me the Medical Investigator's are the ones that screwed this one up. How can they say this child's death was "undetermined" with the injuries he had? He wasn't even 2 yrs old, yet he had all of those injuries? The bleeding in the brain is clearly associated with shaken baby syndrome. I don't want to sit here and pass judgement on the Mother, but seriously how can a reader not? How does a Mother not pay closer attention to her own 21 month old son? How would she not notice that he hadn't come running into the room, or around the house first thing in the morning? She has 4 other kids - has CPS played any role here? It's too bad God doesn't stop this abuse long before it happens. Instead of allowing a child to be abused and tortured to death, why allow the woman to conceive at all?

Assuming the Mother is innocent in all of this, I feel bad that the family has been suffering through all of this as long as they have. Justice is not swift. DASO did great in not allowing this to slip through the cracks. Good job DASO for following through on this!

I almost agreed with the poster above about the radio ads - I do think they're lousy - the pronunciations are terrible, but I agree with the message they're attempting to convey. I think our Sheriff's Dept are doing a good job, as well as, our LCPD. I also do not believe the marriage between our Under Sheriff and our DA has any affect whatsoever on how our officers handle situations.
Thick

Thoreau, NM

#7 Apr 14, 2010
You don't need a medical invester to prove these cases another one that got breaks for the DA's office. I didn't know until recently that our Da's
office does such a poor job on trying the hard core
cases that should come first.
Disgusted

Cherry Valley, AR

#8 Apr 14, 2010
It is not difficult to decide how to handle these men/women who bring such despicable harm to their own flesh and blood. There are two options:

One: Capital punishment.
Two: Life in prison.

It is so simple. Get rid of these compulsive idiots as effortlessly as they did their children, with no regard, emotion, respect, or deliberation. They do not deserve one ounce of sympathy, concern, or understanding.
NMSU Student

Las Cruces, NM

#9 Apr 14, 2010
This is so sick. I can't even imagine what was going on in this poor baby's head. They need to give these worthless people the death penalty!
Perplexed

Cherry Valley, AR

#10 Apr 14, 2010
Disgusted wrote:
It is not difficult to decide how to handle these men/women who bring such despicable harm to their own flesh and blood. There are two options:
One: Capital punishment.
Two: Life in prison.
It is so simple. Get rid of these compulsive **** as effortlessly as they did their children, with no regard, emotion, respect, or deliberation. They do not deserve one ounce of sympathy, concern, or understanding.
I completely agree!!! How much more evidence do people need. The proof is the child and everyone involved is guilty, especially the mother. As a mother you are absolutely OBLIGATED to protect your children. Leave the abuse, situation, and the individual that claims to be a man. There is plenty of support and help out there for you. How could you let someone hurt, wound, or even kill your precious baby. For that, you should be punished as well.

Since: Nov 09

Fort Washakie, WY

#11 Apr 14, 2010
Government Waste at its best. When innocent kids cannot protect themselves, that is a place for the government to step in. Bo pull your head outta your A r s e and make an assumption!!!! It is a crime that it took this long to bring those responsible to justice. Just another reason why " KIDS " shouldn't Have " KIDS "
Future Teacher

Las Cruces, NM

#12 Apr 14, 2010
Southwest Shooter wrote:
Government Waste at its best. When innocent kids cannot protect themselves, that is a place for the government to step in. Bo pull your head outta your A r s e and make an assumption!!!! It is a crime that it took this long to bring those responsible to justice. Just another reason why " KIDS " shouldn't Have " KIDS "
I totally agree with everything everyone is posting. Not only should Trujillo get the death penalty but the mother as well and any one else who was involved or knew this abuse was taking place. However Southwest Shooter I really wish people would stop saying that kids shoulds not be having kids because in this case neither one of these two adults was kids the mother was 28 and Trujilo 23. And not all children who are born to a teenage mom are beaten or abused I for one am a teenage mom and have never laid a hand on my son. I am not trying to say that all teen moms are good moms but there are a few of us that are so please stop categorizing us. You are basically being a racist when you say those comments.
Coach

Deming, NM

#13 Apr 14, 2010
The sad thing is for every one of these kids that does not survive (and, Lord willing, is resting in Heaven) there are many more kids who grow up with this abuse as a constant stressor in their lives. Oftentimes, they become the next adult who can't control his/her actions around the next generation.
Coach

Deming, NM

#14 Apr 14, 2010
Thank you for working to become a teacher (a wonderful profession that allows those with kids to spend time with them on the same schedule) and make life better for your child(ren). Sadly, too many young mothers don't have your foresight.
Future Teacher wrote:
<quoted text> I totally agree with everything everyone is posting. Not only should Trujillo get the death penalty but the mother as well and any one else who was involved or knew this abuse was taking place. However Southwest Shooter I really wish people would stop saying that kids shoulds not be having kids because in this case neither one of these two adults was kids the mother was 28 and Trujilo 23. And not all children who are born to a teenage mom are beaten or abused I for one am a teenage mom and have never laid a hand on my son. I am not trying to say that all teen moms are good moms but there are a few of us that are so please stop categorizing us. You are basically being a racist when you say those comments.
So Sad

El Paso, TX

#15 Apr 14, 2010
Future Teacher wrote:
<quoted text> I totally agree with everything everyone is posting. Not only should Trujillo get the death penalty but the mother as well and any one else who was involved or knew this abuse was taking place. However Southwest Shooter I really wish people would stop saying that kids shoulds not be having kids because in this case neither one of these two adults was kids the mother was 28 and Trujilo 23. And not all children who are born to a teenage mom are beaten or abused I for one am a teenage mom and have never laid a hand on my son. I am not trying to say that all teen moms are good moms but there are a few of us that are so please stop categorizing us. You are basically being a racist when you say those comments.
It is true that abuse does not target any certain age group, neither any race, income level, or family type and size. It happens everywhere and anywhere. You're label of being a teenage mother already sets many stereotypes and stigmas because many people still view it as a bad thing. It's not being a racist, because your race or ethnicity is not being attacked. It's called stereotyping.
So Sad

El Paso, TX

#16 Apr 14, 2010
I think harsher punishments should be given to any abuser, whether or not it resulted in death. Too many abusers get probation or "not enough evidence" and continue their abuse. I wonder if the mother ever knew about it. I think she did but. If she did then yes, she is an accessory to the abuse and eventual death because nothing was done to prevent it. It's tragic that this young boy died at the hands of this man, but at least the other child is spared for her life because she no longer resides with him. An investigation into the mother is warranted and hopefully the daughter will be safe.
TRUTH

Las Cruces, NM

#17 Apr 14, 2010
first and for most trujillo was not the boyfriend the paper is wrong he was a cousin and where is sonia wood in all of this she has not even talked about her son's death. Not even when he died on december 3 2008 she didn't have anything to say also why wasn't this in the paper in december 3 2008 when this happened not a word was said in that year about the baby's passing not till a year later something is wrong. So you think palos did a good job but yet theres one in jail and the mother out free she and every other adult that was in the house should because child abuse is child abuse just like baby briana all were prosecuted for not reporting.
angieleaforme

Charles Town, WV

#18 Apr 14, 2010
disgusted wrote:
"...Nevarez said. "You still need facts. You can't just base the charges on assumptions. You have to have probable cause.""
Since when does DASO need facts? They bring charges based on assumptions whenever they feel like it. Of course, what do you expect when DASO is literally in bed with the DA's office?
By the way, DASO, your new radio ads make me sick to my stomach. Integrity, professionalism? Hardly!
If you have a beef with DASO then take it up with them. It's interesting you are more concerned with their ads than the fact that they actually followed up on this case and finally this little boy may get some sort of justice.
angieleaforme

Charles Town, WV

#19 Apr 14, 2010
Thick wrote:
You don't need a medical invester to prove these cases another one that got breaks for the DA's office. I didn't know until recently that our Da's
office does such a poor job on trying the hard core
cases that should come first.
THICK, you are correct that you don't need a medical invester to prove these cases BUT you do need a medical investigator.
Also, don't quite get the "another one that got breaks for the DA's office" sentence. Can we maybe try English this time??
Las Cruces

La Luz, NM

#20 Apr 14, 2010
I think this another great example of people who should not have kids. I agree with everyone that we need to bring back the death penalty, espically for this guy.
I do not have kids yet but I could never imagine harming them no matter what. It makes me sick to hear these stories and think that they are only given life sentences, if even that. Anyone who harms a child that can not defend themselves should be put to death (they die a painless death compared to the poor child they shook to death or worse). I would sleep better at night if this man and any other parent that could hurt thier child was in hell where they belong.
farmer

Anthony, NM

#21 Apr 14, 2010
disgusted wrote:
"...Nevarez said. "You still need facts. You can't just base the charges on assumptions. You have to have probable cause.""
Since when does DASO need facts? They bring charges based on assumptions whenever they feel like it. Of course, what do you expect when DASO is literally in bed with the DA's office?
By the way, DASO, your new radio ads make me sick to my stomach. Integrity, professionalism? Hardly!
You are a true Moron. You have no idea what information DASO has. And its one officer who is married to a D.A. That hardly makes the whole department in bed with the D.A.s office.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Las Cruces Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Review: Buckle 9 hr thank 1
Some Mexicans leaving US, planning never to return (Dec '08) 13 hr Hans Smit 15,726
School supplies needed for low-income families (Aug '10) 21 hr trker trt 29
Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel (Jun '08) Fri STEFANO COLONNA 70,159
dumbascaps running for the woodwork Thu Bloodonhishands 3
$360 out of your pocket! Oct 29 watchdog1 2
Holiday shopping deals can be found online - fast (Oct '10) Oct 28 Sharon Tatum 5
Las Cruces Dating
Find my Match

Las Cruces People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Las Cruces News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Las Cruces

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]