Fireworks sales ignite in Dona Ana Co...

Fireworks sales ignite in Dona Ana County

There are 16 comments on the Las Cruces Sun-News story from Jun 23, 2009, titled Fireworks sales ignite in Dona Ana County. In it, Las Cruces Sun-News reports that:

Fireworks sales in Las Cruces and Dona Ana County officially began Saturday, but many stands around the area were just getting up and running on Monday.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Las Cruces Sun-News.

Frank

Huntsville, AL

#1 Jun 23, 2009
Another boring 4th with the same lame fireworks, just goes to show how much the seniors run this town, Give us back our artillery shells!!!
Bob

Huntsville, AL

#2 Jun 23, 2009
No kidding! When did Las Cruces become a retirement community?
just a suggestion

Albuquerque, NM

#3 Jun 23, 2009
Frank wrote:
Another boring 4th with the same lame fireworks, just goes to show how much the seniors run this town, Give us back our artillery shells!!!
As the story mentioned, you can always check out the fireworks being sold in Mesilla, and bring back anything you like. Just don't get caught using them outside Mesilla. ;-}

If that doesn't do it for you, get together with your buddies, pool your money for gas and other road trip expenses, and head on over to Akela Flats off I-10 about 15 east of Deming. They got the artillery shells, rockets, aerial helicopters, firecrackers, all the stuff that's banned in Las Cruces and Dona Ana County. And no, I don't work there or have any financial interest in what they sell. It's just that I got pi$$ed off at all the local fireworks restrictions, and got my good stuff there.
Concerned citizen

Las Cruces, NM

#4 Jun 23, 2009
It's a sad thing to think about when my 10 year old listens to my stories about the celebrations I had as a child...firework displays at Apodaca Park, gatherings at my grandparents home with all types of fireworks. Too bad the senior citizens of this city forgot what it is like to have fun and celebrate. So much for passing on traditions of time gone by.
LC Resident

Las Cruces, NM

#5 Jun 23, 2009
just a suggestion wrote:
<quoted text>
As the story mentioned, you can always check out the fireworks being sold in Mesilla, and bring back anything you like. Just don't get caught using them outside Mesilla. ;-}
If that doesn't do it for you, get together with your buddies, pool your money for gas and other road trip expenses, and head on over to Akela Flats off I-10 about 15 east of Deming. They got the artillery shells, rockets, aerial helicopters, firecrackers, all the stuff that's banned in Las Cruces and Dona Ana County. And no, I don't work there or have any financial interest in what they sell. It's just that I got pi$$ed off at all the local fireworks restrictions, and got my good stuff there.
Does the fact that we have had NO substainsial RAIN in the area for months mean anything to you? Or do you really...even care? I am all for the aerial fireworks ban, I would go as far to say ban ALL OF THEM. Every year it's the same crap, people still get them into the city and shoot them off. Enough already, we live in the middle of a DRY desert. Get a clue here folks, if we live in a tinder box, and you shoot off aerials, what makes you think at ANY point a fire could very well start and do damage. But I suppose in this day and age, where the mentality is I will do as I want, the heck with everyone else. I am surprised with the state of the economy people can even afford to buy fireworks.
just a suggestion

Albuquerque, NM

#6 Jun 23, 2009
LC Resident wrote:
<quoted text>
Does the fact that we have had NO substainsial RAIN in the area for months mean anything to you? Or do you really...even care? I am all for the aerial fireworks ban, I would go as far to say ban ALL OF THEM. Every year it's the same crap, people still get them into the city and shoot them off. Enough already, we live in the middle of a DRY desert. Get a clue here folks, if we live in a tinder box, and you shoot off aerials, what makes you think at ANY point a fire could very well start and do damage. But I suppose in this day and age, where the mentality is I will do as I want, the heck with everyone else. I am surprised with the state of the economy people can even afford to buy fireworks.
"What will Mrs Grundy think...", indeed.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mrs_Grundy

I don't care what you think either.

As Robert Heinlein noted, "True freedom comes from telling Mrs. Grundy to go fly a kite." In that spirit, I'm going to fly a few bottle rockets in your honor - and his.
just a suggestion

Albuquerque, NM

#7 Jun 23, 2009
LC Resident wrote:
<quoted text>
... I am all for the aerial fireworks ban, I would go as far to say ban ALL OF THEM....
BTW, while on the subject of Robert Heinlein - I have a brass cannon, just like he did. And I plan on using mine on July 4th, just like he did - after a reading of the Declaration of Independence.

You certainly can't complain about somebody using a brass cannon on July 4th to fire off a few blank rounds, can you? You certainly can't call it fireworks.
cruces

Las Cruces, NM

#8 Jun 23, 2009
LC Resident wrote:
<quoted text>
hey sparky....there is a missile range not even 20 miles from las cruces. I think their fireworks are a little bigger, and "NO" the fire department is not on hand when testing...
underemployed and curious

Albuquerque, NM

#9 Jun 23, 2009
cruces wrote:
<quoted text>
hey sparky....there is a missile range not even 20 miles from las cruces. I think their fireworks are a little bigger, and "NO" the fire department is not on hand when testing...
Where do I apply to get a job making and testing those fireworks?
LC Resident

Las Cruces, NM

#10 Jun 23, 2009
just a suggestion wrote:
<quoted text>
BTW, while on the subject of Robert Heinlein - I have a brass cannon, just like he did. And I plan on using mine on July 4th, just like he did - after a reading of the Declaration of Independence.
You certainly can't complain about somebody using a brass cannon on July 4th to fire off a few blank rounds, can you? You certainly can't call it fireworks.
The only reason I have a problem with fireworks is:
1) people rarely clean up after their mess, 2) I have experienced damage to my home/property from bottle rockets & 3) the attitudes of people like you, that feel it is their freedom/right to shoot off lit sticks into the air, damn everyone else who disagrees with you. So instead of taking the attitude that someone is stepping all over your rights to set off bottlerockets, why don't you consider the fact that their is a POSSIBILITY of a fire starting.
LC Resident

Las Cruces, NM

#11 Jun 23, 2009
cruces wrote:
<quoted text>
You compare fireworks to missiles? LOL....I am sure White Sands has a little more control over where they shoot those things, as opposed to people throughout this city who could give a rats a@@ about where they shoot bottle rockets or any other kind of aerial. Three years ago I had some really lovely neighbors who deceided I needed a lesson, so they aimed them towards my home. I don't have a problem with fireworks in general, it's the piss on you and everyone else attitude's that bugs me. I think people can come up with better ways to celebrate freedom AND the Forth of July.
jimbob

Albuquerque, NM

#12 Jun 23, 2009
LC Resident wrote:
<quoted text>
It rained today so fireworks should be OK now.
Frank

Santa Fe, NM

#13 Jun 23, 2009
jimbob wrote:
<quoted text>It rained today so fireworks should be OK now.
Yeah they all should be legal now, no room for anyone to complain about our DRY desert climate Residents!
Todd

Albuquerque, NM

#14 Jun 23, 2009
I have lived in many places, but Las Cruces NM takes the cake when it comes to utter stupidity. I never seen such babies when it comes to fire crackers. But then again, a town that thinks that working in Taco Bell and Bobs burgers is career potential just shows what type of a loser town this really is.
LC Resident

Las Cruces, NM

#15 Jun 24, 2009
Todd wrote:
I have lived in many places, but Las Cruces NM takes the cake when it comes to utter stupidity. I never seen such babies when it comes to fire crackers. But then again, a town that thinks that working in Taco Bell and Bobs burgers is career potential just shows what type of a loser town this really is.
Then go back to one of those places. I have every right to express my opinion, especially when it involves MY property. Like I said in a post yesterday, I have suffered fire damage from fireworks, bottle rockets to be specific. And the person responsible was a 11 year old boy who was out in his backyard unattended shooting them directly at my house. So just because nothing has every happened to you, doesn't make everyone else stupid or cry babies as you put it. And in this economy, to have a job ANYWHERE is better than not having one!! Get off your fricken high horse already!
taco bell employee

United States

#16 Jun 28, 2014
Todd wrote:
you use to work for taco bell todd volt isnt any better

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Las Cruces Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
please come see me Sun Yes Baby 21
News DASO under scrutiny over service cuts (Sep '15) Sat chip 13
News Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel (Jun '08) Apr 29 Zionism is racism 72,025
News Undersheriff slides into new position with OCSO (Apr '13) Apr 28 Knowing Is Believing 39
News Records show missing equipment, contraband at D... Apr 26 chip 1
Anal or vaginal?? (Sep '15) Apr 23 Comic Book Harlot 3
www.kathkylynmbeck.blogspot.com - New Mexico'... Apr 19 demosthenes 1
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Las Cruces Mortgages