Seafood and Asian Stores?

Seafood and Asian Stores?

Posted in the Las Cruces Forum

Alamo Resident

Alamogordo, NM

#1 Dec 11, 2013
Hello all,
As my handle suggests, I am in Alamogordo, and shopping here is limited as probably most of you know.

I was wondering if you could help me, as I don't know Las Cruces as well as many of you residents do.

Are there any stores there that exclusively sell Seafood, and also any Asian specialty stores?

I'm hoping to perhaps find stores which sell good fish, and also perhaps fresh Shellfish. Our town has zero in that regard.(I do know your Albertsons does usually carry Clams, and Oysters, and have seen Pros Ranch sell things like Mussels)

Also, are there any Asian Import Stores that sell Asian foods? We have one here but lately they often lack in many things and have a limited selection of certain items.

Thanks
Alamo Resident

Alamogordo, NM

#3 Dec 11, 2013
Taro, thank you so much for your reply! This was very kind of you, and it is deeply appreciated.

Yes, I've been to Toucan Market about a 1/2 dozen times over the past few years, and I agree, a nice specialty store for many goods. They have a nice selection of imported Cheeses, and Cold Cuts, Salamis, Jams-Preserves, and lots of Organic Foods. Great place, they're always on my little route when I travel to your town.

Pros Ranch Market, again, an awesome overwhelming Super-Mercado, and I have heard that on a rare occasion they do have fresh Oysters, but I haven't been able to luck into them.

Albertsons on Idaho had carried fresh Oysters, and Littleneck Clams last time I visited, but more than once, I was disappointed with the freshness of the shellfish, sometimes it had to go straight to the trash can, even though I brought them home in a cooler with Ice.

I of course understand we are a landlocked state, that even Mexico on the Coasts have fresh Seafood, but we don't. Anything that has to be kept fresh, and not froze, such as fresh Shellfish is a tough item here.

But, our Wally World, and many others in the area are so disgusting with fish, virtually al of it is inedible.

Our "Super" Wally World as I understand it once carried fresh shellfish, and even had a Lobster Tank. That stuff doesn't fly here in this hick town.

Swai, and Tilapia, and even the Salmon here are horrid IMO, and would like finding (freshwater) Lake Perch,(Not Ocean Perch, OMG, nasty!) Walleye Pike, or Saltwater Varieties like Grouper, Pompano, or decent Codfish, not the garbage from Africa, or some other 3rd World Country.

I know Las Cruces doesn't have a Costco, but they have a Sam's Club. Wonder if they might carry a better Seafood Selection?

I've found it wise to call ahead when visiting your town.

I call a couple of Albertsons the day, or two before, to see what Seafood Stock they have on hand.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Las Cruces Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Martinez prefers to stick to issues (Jun '10) 8 hr Ilingious 6,878
News Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel (Jun '08) 11 hr TWP 72,037
News Felon pleads guilty to possessing firearm Jul 21 Gloria 1
KING OBAMA and billary too! Jul 17 Bloodonhishands 1
News Las Cruces Mayor Ken Miyagishima to seek divorce (Aug '12) Jul 14 Roflo 14
News Breaking: Two arrested in fatal Las Cruces shoo... (Oct '08) Jul 12 EmJ 66
nita tredway/rusak (Mar '15) Jul 10 Nita rusak 12

Las Cruces Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Las Cruces Mortgages